Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long time 70% of history 21:39 - Sep 6 with 6638 viewsrongould

Today is the 70th anniversary of my first visit to Loftus Road
We beat Northampton 2-0
Top of Div 3 south, unbeaten.
Our first ever promotion season.
Had a lot of joy, heartache and wonderful memories
Long may they continue.
RTID.
COYRSSSS
Long time 70% of history on 13:37 - Sep 10 with 1149 viewsfrancisbowles

On this topic, I asked my seat next door neighbour when he attended his first match. His reply was 1943, he had been evacuated to Bucks and travelled in. His dad was an avid fan and his dad before him.

I have only sat next to him for about four years as he got relocated from nearer the directors box but he is good company and comes with his wife every week.
Long time 70% of history on 14:57 - Sep 10 with 1127 viewsjohncharles

Long time 70% of history on 18:22 - Sep 9 by oldranger

I am another Ron; first match 1946-7 season lost 1-3 to Cardiff second in the league, only one team promoted

Well done the two Ronnies. I had a great chat with one of you at the Ealing Beer Festival about five years ago. You told me you were eighty plus and we both agreed that the Rsss problem was scoring goals. "Never win anything till we score more goals" perhaps Saturday was a move in the right direction.
I thought I was old and had supported the Rangers forever but I see you started a year before I was born !
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 14:59]

Strong and stable my arse.

Long time 70% of history on 17:22 - Sep 10 with 1105 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely thread. Love reading about our history first-hand.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Long time 70% of history on 17:54 - Sep 10 with 1102 viewscolinallcars

Long time 70% of history on 14:54 - Sep 9 by cyprusmel

From memory you passed through the turnstiles on South Africa Road and there were 4 or 5 concrete staircases that took you up to the terraces and the grass slopes were in between the staircases.

And when the match ended people, in order to get to the pub quickly, would clamber down the slopes which were more mud than grass but quicker than the stairs. If I remember correctly there was a little tea bar at each end of the slope.
Long time 70% of history on 18:05 - Sep 10 with 1100 viewsfrancisbowles

Long time 70% of history on 17:54 - Sep 10 by colinallcars

And when the match ended people, in order to get to the pub quickly, would clamber down the slopes which were more mud than grass but quicker than the stairs. If I remember correctly there was a little tea bar at each end of the slope.

Were the pubs open after the match in those days? I know they used to close in the afternoons and reopen early evening? Sundays, they were closed between 2 and 7pm.
Long time 70% of history on 18:28 - Sep 10 with 1090 viewscolinallcars

Long time 70% of history on 18:05 - Sep 10 by francisbowles

Were the pubs open after the match in those days? I know they used to close in the afternoons and reopen early evening? Sundays, they were closed between 2 and 7pm.

I meant evening games....on Saturdays you had to wait until 5.30pm. I used to take a long curcuitous route to my pub which was about a mile or so away, so I got there by opening time. Pretty much sloshed by nine o'clock most weeks !
Long time 70% of history on 18:44 - Sep 10 with 1087 viewsBlackCrowe

Congrats Ron...some feat. Just realised i'm in my 40th Loftus year which started in March '77 with a midweek 1-0 against Ipswich (!). Think Eastoe scored but not 100% certain.

My Dad took me out of ceaseless pester-power (he's pure rugby and cricket).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Long time 70% of history on 18:51 - Sep 10 with 1086 viewswelwynranger

Long time 70% of history on 17:54 - Sep 10 by colinallcars

As I remember it . There were two huts one at each end. The Loftus Road end was a tea hut, the school end was a supporters club hut where you could buy badges etc and golden goal tickets.
Login to get fewer ads

Long time 70% of history on 19:19 - Sep 10 with 1060 viewsfrancisbowles

Long time 70% of history on 18:05 - Sep 10 by francisbowles

Ah right. It's hard trying to imagine having to wait for the pubs to open after the match these days. Can't remember when it all changed now, think it was the first Blair term. Previously there were local variations on the hours with some not opening till 6pm.
Long time 70% of history on 20:24 - Sep 10 with 1041 viewscolinallcars

Long time 70% of history on 19:19 - Sep 10 by francisbowles

Ah right. It's hard trying to imagine having to wait for the pubs to open after the match these days. Can't remember when it all changed now, think it was the first Blair term. Previously there were local variations on the hours with some not opening till 6pm.

I think Mrs Thatcher changed the licensing laws, after all we weren't going to lose WW1 after all these years ! Blair amended them further. The problem is that under the old rules pubs had to open for their allotted hours. Now they open and close when it suits them. I know of quite a few pubs that don't open lunchtimes, particularly in Richmond. Some others will close up early at night if there are no more than a few punters in.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024