Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale Release List 2018 14:34 - May 15 with 14012 viewsDaley_Lama

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/may/retainedreleasedlist2017-18/
[Post edited 15 May 2018 14:36]

Poll: DF in or out

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:25 - May 15 with 4223 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:11 - May 15 by aleanddale

I disagree Col ( not often with your posts )

Harrison McGahey could be THE summer signing for us.

Never seen a player improve so much in such a short period of time.

Right age - good pace - strong - getting better and better with every game.

Really really hope he signs at least 2 more years.

I think the likelihood that, if he were to sign elsewhere, it'd be with a club with a much bigger budget and prospects of championship football either this season or next, tells us all we need to know about McGahey. For that reason, i don't think we'll be seeing him in a Dale shirt again, but i'd be delighted if we did. It'd also tell that he sees us as having better prospects next season too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:28 - May 15 with 4207 viewsShun

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:11 - May 15 by aleanddale

I disagree Col ( not often with your posts )

Harrison McGahey could be THE summer signing for us.

Never seen a player improve so much in such a short period of time.

Right age - good pace - strong - getting better and better with every game.

Really really hope he signs at least 2 more years.

I’m with Col I’m afraid. Out of the two of them I’d much prefer Cannon to stay. I think McGahey’s good without being great, and isn’t irreplaceable. All jokes about McNulty’s poor early performances with us aside, since we moved to a back 3 I think McNulty’s been just as good if not better than McGahey.
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:30 - May 15 with 4193 viewsaleanddale

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:25 - May 15 by D_Alien

I think the likelihood that, if he were to sign elsewhere, it'd be with a club with a much bigger budget and prospects of championship football either this season or next, tells us all we need to know about McGahey. For that reason, i don't think we'll be seeing him in a Dale shirt again, but i'd be delighted if we did. It'd also tell that he sees us as having better prospects next season too

Agreed it would be a statement if he signed for the reasons you mention.

I hope he is tempted by not only an increased wage but the likelihood if he carries on at this rate he could be the next Dawson / Hogan.

We are the right club for him in that respect we will be happy to see him go when it's right for him we would not throw up massive barriers.
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:34 - May 15 with 4167 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:28 - May 15 by Shun

I’m with Col I’m afraid. Out of the two of them I’d much prefer Cannon to stay. I think McGahey’s good without being great, and isn’t irreplaceable. All jokes about McNulty’s poor early performances with us aside, since we moved to a back 3 I think McNulty’s been just as good if not better than McGahey.

That's fair enough, and McG isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but it'd be far more likely that he'd be on the watchlist for a championship club than Cannon

I'm a big fan of Cannon, but he's still got a fair way to go before he'd be on the championship radar - not yet at the level of Lund or Allen who've both struggled at that level

For that reason alone, can we be picky about which players we'd rather see leave?

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:43 - May 15 with 4123 viewsisitme

The releases were pretty obvious as Keane and Canavan missed most of the season through injury and were probably on a decent wage. Unfortunately Davies is not really value for money and for me Kitching is no better than a depth midfielder, who would be standing in the way of Morley and Adshead's development.

With Cannon and McGahey being under 24 an offer of a contract on terms equal to or better than their current wage would mean that if they sign elsewhere we would get a fee for them. I suspect that Gillam and Thompson will resign on what will probably be one year deals on a relatively low wage.

Wade is an interesting one as there did not seem to be much hype about him. I am surprised none of the second year scholars have appeared to have earned a professional contract. Many of the successful youth team from this season have been first year scholars or even younger, so perhaps their time will come.
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 19:02 - May 15 with 4057 viewsaleanddale

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 18:28 - May 15 by Shun

We all view it a bit different Shun. You only have to read this board after any game win lose or draw.

I think Harrison has comfortably been our best defender and with Delaney we are in good shape.

McNulty as well when we line up 3 at the back they are a good fit the 3 of them together.

Hope McGahey and Cannon both sign obviously.

Still we have had a decent clear out with 10 or 11 who need replacing so an exciting few weeks seeing who we bring in that's the next Dale legend!!

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 19:15 - May 15 with 4014 viewssykeboy

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 19:02 - May 15 by aleanddale

We all view it a bit different Shun. You only have to read this board after any game win lose or draw.

I think Harrison has comfortably been our best defender and with Delaney we are in good shape.

McNulty as well when we line up 3 at the back they are a good fit the 3 of them together.

Hope McGahey and Cannon both sign obviously.

Still we have had a decent clear out with 10 or 11 who need replacing so an exciting few weeks seeing who we bring in that's the next Dale legend!!

We do all view things differently I and quite a few seated near me think HG is overrated by some, his distribution at times is poor and he is easily beaten on the outside when standing or backing off ,chasing back yes he’s quick and strong but as others have stated he wouldn’t be the biggest loss and If given a choice AC would be mine
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 21:52 - May 15 with 3719 viewsCanaDale

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 15:41 - May 15 by Swissdale

Putting sentiment to the side, I’m surprised to see Thompson offered a new deal. Hasn’t played poorly since his return, but IMHO he’s not a player we’d struggle to replace. Pretty much happy with the rest.

As others have said, AC and HM accepting their new contracts is massive. I’d be expecting us to make a move for Inman too.

Thompson won't be on huge wages, and given all he's been through, being released right after, perhaps wouldn't be the best PR move by the club. I think its a good move to keep him, he is an inspiration that will help the mood at the club, and to help the younger players, a good squad member.
Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 22:09 - May 15 with 3675 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 21:52 - May 15 by CanaDale

Thompson won't be on huge wages, and given all he's been through, being released right after, perhaps wouldn't be the best PR move by the club. I think its a good move to keep him, he is an inspiration that will help the mood at the club, and to help the younger players, a good squad member.

Agree that keeping JT makes total sense and releasing players we have will free up wages. Kitching I am not sure about but the rest I agree with. A fit Davis is 1 thing and I wish him all the best, but he is so rarely fit!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 23:03 - May 15 with 3541 viewsmacro

I think this is the most unsurprising release list of the last few years, released players all nailed on and JT might have been saved by his last day heroics.

Hopefully Williams will be moved on as well
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:21 - May 16 with 3113 viewsDaley_Lama

Keane - injury - common sense release
Davies - injury - common sense release
Canavan - surplus - common sense release
Brown - surplus - common sense release
Kitching - same as itsme says. I'm guessing that Kitching has been released because Aaron Morley will become a fully fledged team member next season.

After numerous appearances in the 16/17 season, he was consigned to captain and lead the youth team to win the division rather than sit on the bench for 46 weeks (with the odd exception) I reckon Hilly made that decision last August - go and play a full season of youth football this time round to get game time and experience.

Add in the promise of Daniel Adshead and you have two players that have progressed internally who play in similar roles and have been prioritised over Kitching.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 13:22]

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:43 - May 16 with 3071 viewsEllDale

Wasn't Kitching initially signed as a leftback/left wingback.

Perhaps he could have done a job there and released Done to play upfront?
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:43 - May 16 with 3070 viewsfrenzied

just a question to the more experienced fans of Dale than myself..

If we had gone down do you think the retain/release list would have looked different?
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:54 - May 16 with 3043 viewstony_roch975

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 19:15 - May 15 by sykeboy

We do all view things differently I and quite a few seated near me think HG is overrated by some, his distribution at times is poor and he is easily beaten on the outside when standing or backing off ,chasing back yes he’s quick and strong but as others have stated he wouldn’t be the biggest loss and If given a choice AC would be mine

Fair point - distribution is weak at times from all 3 CBs (but partly that's when having to play long balls) - but if McGahey had that as well he would already be a championship player. Don't agree about him being easily beaten on the outside, if anything that's when he's strongest and surely any defender is most vulnerable when being run at/ backing off; I'd have said it's in the air he's least dominant against the best hold-up No 9s.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:00 - May 16 with 3020 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:43 - May 16 by frenzied

just a question to the more experienced fans of Dale than myself..

If we had gone down do you think the retain/release list would have looked different?

It'd have had slurred writing where the tears had dried

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:14 - May 16 with 2994 viewsfrenzied

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:00 - May 16 by D_Alien

It'd have had slurred writing where the tears had dried

I get your point...
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:37 - May 16 with 2947 viewsDaley_Lama

I don't think it would be much different myself, but the offers to Andy Cannon and Harrison McGahey would have been less likely to be accepted than current chances.

Incoming players might have looked very different however.

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 15:10 - May 16 with 2874 viewsSaxonDale

I think with McGahey the biggest frustration is the mental side of the game. Physically he's got it all as a centre back- quick, strong, great in the air and there's no shortage of commitment from him. You can see why he was rated so highly at Blackpool as you can imagine all his life he's been quicker and stronger that 90% of those he's played against. The problem is as you go higher up you're going to play against cleverer and cleverer strikers where your physical attributes are going to make less of a difference- see against Portsmouth for example.

I remember when Hilly subbed him off at Milwall, saying how inexperienced he had looked (he had only played 30 odd career games at that point) and whilst he's certainly starting to find his feet, I do think he's got a long way to go- as most would at 22. We still see daft fouls, penalties given away and he's yet to dominate the defence in the way that someone like him will certainly be capable of. It's taken 2 years of patience (over 70 games) to see a mild improvement in his understanding of the game, and I think he needs about the same amount going forward to really be at the level he could be. I'd really be patient if I was McGahey and consider where he will get that game time at.. IMO right now there is not too much difference between McGahey and how good Eastham was for us- however McGahey could easily go onto a much higher level than Eastham.
Rochdale Release List 2018 on 23:01 - May 17 with 2472 viewsrochdaleriddler

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:54 - May 15 by D_Alien

With Wade being offered a pro contract, has Moore been released? I thought he was here on loan only until the end of the season

Only one i'm sorry to see go is Davies, but inevitable really. I wonder if he'll move further down the leagues or perhaps consider a career in coaching? I wish him the best of luck, he'll be talked about (for the right reasons) whenever Dale goal-scorers are discussed for years to come

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:26 - May 18 with 2262 viewsboromat

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 23:03 - May 15 by macro

I think this is the most unsurprising release list of the last few years, released players all nailed on and JT might have been saved by his last day heroics.

Hopefully Williams will be moved on as well

Disagree let's instead hope Williams becomes the player Hill hoped he would become when spending the 100k or whatever it was!!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 14:01 - May 18 with 2160 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale Release List 2018 on 13:26 - May 18 by boromat

Disagree let's instead hope Williams becomes the player Hill hoped he would become when spending the 100k or whatever it was!!

Yes. Let's see him with more league experience behind him, after his loan spell. If he has the ability and has more confidence, he may well become the player that Hilly thought he was buying...?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024