Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's 22:28 - Aug 20 with 2371 viewsdurham_exile

After the elation of the deserved 95th minute equaliser at the One Call stadium on Saturday, JM and his charges can look forward to a home double header against the Railwaymen on Tuesday evening and the Cobblers on Saturday afternoon.

I and many U’s fans will still be buzzing at the way the match concluded. Late goals to salvage a point or better do not come along very often for the U’s.

Mika Mandron scored an 88th minute winner against Coventry last season at home and I saw Elliot Lee score a 94th minute equaliser at Rotherham in a 2-2 draw in November 2013 from just underneath the bar and I saw Chris Porter score an 87th minute penalty to win the match 3-2 at Fleetwood in April 2015, when we looked down and out. Most famously of course in front of 14,030 in January 1977, I saw Colin Garwood score a 99th minute equaliser against Derby in the fourth round of the F A Cup at the Layer Road end. Cue magical celebrations in every case.

Other fans will have their own favourite very late goal memories I am sure.

As I said late goals are a rare phenomenon for the U’s, which makes it all the more special when it happens. Never good for the heartrate of course, but very special to recall. Sammie Szmodics had put a shift in and deserved his goal and the team their point at Mansfield.

So, the Railwaymen come to the JobServe stadium on Tuesday managed by Dave Artell and they started the season like an express train with a 6-0 hammering of The Shrimps. Since then they hit the buffers with a defeat against the Exiles and then got back on track with an impressive draw against the Franchise.

Crewe have Captain George Ray still touch and go for Tuesday after his opening day injury. Chris Porter came off the bench at the weekend and would love to play against his old club. They have experience aplenty with Eddie Nolan, Nicky Hunt, Paul Green and Alex Nicholls. This is not a pushover game.

JM must also decide on whether to start with the same XI again or make a subtle change. I think it was a mistake to bench Tom Eastman and JM should revert to a 3,4,3 formation something along these lines:

Barnes

Eastman Prosser Kent

Jackson Lapslie Pell Vincent-Young

Szmodics Mandron Dickenson

Subs:

Ross Senior Barnes (A) Comley Collins Norris Nouble

Reasoning — Eastman is such an influential player as was proven on Saturday. Last season the defence was at its meanest when the back three were selected.
Lapslie and Pell are now a tremendous midfield partnership and Jackson and Vincent-Young can get forward at every opportunity. Equally they have pace aplenty and can track back when required.

Szmodics must play and Dickenson equally, especially in the advanced left-wing role. That leaves the choice of striker which could be anyone from Norris, Nouble or Mandron. Aaron Collins also impressed at Meadow Lane. So, JM has a quandary, but he must be decisive and give the strikers their best chance to impress.

Our strikers have not performed for some years now. We have the players to score 15+ goals each this season and perhaps one might reach the magic 20 figure. Convert those chances and let’s give the Railwaymen that “Up the Junction” feeling.

Courtney Senior didn’t receive any service on Saturday, he also has plenty to learn, but he is a talent. I still want to see Harry Pell given licence to strike the ball from 25 yards, he has goals in him.

Weather in Colchester is forecast to be a warm, cloudy night, about 21 degrees by kick off. Perhaps 3,500 with the faithful in good voice and all hoping for a home victory. I would be delighted with a 4-0 scoreline, with a brace for Mandron and Dickenson to weigh in with a goal to support a Pell screamer.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:15 - Aug 21 with 735 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:15 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Collins on for Szmodics

Please could Mandron get some valuable minutes as well

LUKE NORRIS 5-0

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:16 - Aug 21 with 735 viewsgerry_us

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:08 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Norris on for Nouble

Are you having a pleasant evening Peter?
Just got back from Trent Bridge. Probably won't bother for a ticket tomorrow though!

Oooop 5-0 now.
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:19 - Aug 21 with 731 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:16 - Aug 21 by gerry_us

Are you having a pleasant evening Peter?
Just got back from Trent Bridge. Probably won't bother for a ticket tomorrow though!

Oooop 5-0 now.

Gerry - TOM LAPSLIE 6-0

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:19 - Aug 21 with 731 viewsgerry_us

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:08 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Norris on for Nouble

What's going on?
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:21 - Aug 21 with 729 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:19 - Aug 21 by gerry_us

What's going on?

Eastman on for Prosser

Gerry its called attacking football -

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:23 - Aug 21 with 726 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:21 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Eastman on for Prosser

Gerry its called attacking football -

Up the U's

Bring on the Cobblers

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:28 - Aug 21 with 715 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:23 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Bring on the Cobblers

Up the U's

Crewe won 6-0 on the opening day against Morecambe.

We must ensure no complacency against the Cobblers on Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:31 - Aug 21 with 713 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:28 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Crewe won 6-0 on the opening day against Morecambe.

We must ensure no complacency against the Cobblers on Saturday.

Up the U's

Wessex - good value for that tenner!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:33 - Aug 21 with 711 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:31 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Up the U's

4 additional minutes

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:36 - Aug 21 with 707 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:33 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

4 additional minutes

FT 6-0

Simply outstanding

Bring on the rest of the league

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:46 - Aug 21 with 700 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:36 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

FT 6-0

Simply outstanding

Bring on the rest of the league

Up the U's

Super U's go third but we don't want that we want to win the league

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:50 - Aug 21 with 695 viewswessex_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:31 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Best tenner spent in a long time Durham, it was magnificent from start to finish!

Up the U's

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:55 - Aug 21 with 692 viewsgerry_us

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:46 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Super U's go third but we don't want that we want to win the league

Up the U's

Just to make your day Peter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45260158

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:13 - Aug 21 with 674 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:55 - Aug 21 by gerry_us

Just to make your day Peter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45260158

Gerry always a pleasure to see Slocombe on the scene.

I would imagine you enjoyed the Buttler century today.

Tremendous performance and result. We could go top at the weekend.

Interesting that only one goal came from a striker.

JM looked very happy post match, it augurs well for the Cobblers.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:19 - Aug 21 with 671 viewsgerry_us

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:13 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Gerry always a pleasure to see Slocombe on the scene.

I would imagine you enjoyed the Buttler century today.

Tremendous performance and result. We could go top at the weekend.

Interesting that only one goal came from a striker.

JM looked very happy post match, it augurs well for the Cobblers.

Up the U's

So long as over confidence doesn't kick; we just need to do a similar job on Saturday. Certainly some unexpected names on the score sheet but very acceptable nevertheless.
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:26 - Aug 21 with 660 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:19 - Aug 21 by gerry_us

So long as over confidence doesn't kick; we just need to do a similar job on Saturday. Certainly some unexpected names on the score sheet but very acceptable nevertheless.

Crewe manager Dave Artell has confirmed that the Crewe players will reimburse their travelling supporters tonight for the price of their match ticket.

Up the resurgent U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:30 - Aug 21 with 660 viewsoxfcolu

Fantastic result and a match a lot of fans will regret missing. Good to see Luke coming on and scoring a goal Durham....I reckon Mika would still be running around with the floodlights turned off. Let's hope this is the start of a great season.👍
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:36 - Aug 21 with 654 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:30 - Aug 21 by oxfcolu

Fantastic result and a match a lot of fans will regret missing. Good to see Luke coming on and scoring a goal Durham....I reckon Mika would still be running around with the floodlights turned off. Let's hope this is the start of a great season.👍

Oxfcolu - this could be a really special season.

Northampton and Cheltenham next up.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:41 - Aug 21 with 650 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:36 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Oxfcolu - this could be a really special season.

Northampton and Cheltenham next up.

Up the U's

Gary Johnson sacked by Cheltenham tonight

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 646 viewsoxfcolu

I said never again when I visited Cheltenham in the league cup. I might put in an escape chit with the wife now.
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 23:11 - Aug 21 with 638 viewsnoah4x4

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:26 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Crewe manager Dave Artell has confirmed that the Crewe players will reimburse their travelling supporters tonight for the price of their match ticket.

Up the resurgent U's

Just got home. A brilliant performance was spoiled by no public transport being available close to the stadium except for taxis. It is simply too far for the elderly and infirm to walk to the #2 and #65 bus stops and then services are too infrequent.

Crewe have refunded money to their travelling supporters. We are happy to pay. But can we have a bus service directly to the Stadium please?
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 09:27 - Aug 22 with 576 viewsMoor_Pinot

Splendid result.......biggest league win in how long!???

Three points on Saturday too really would announce some intent. Strange how most goalscorers were not forwards! Remember the season when we scored many goals, were promotoed but nobody got more than 9 [David Gregory]!?
It matters not, the importance is in the creation.
Terrific, Up the U's.

And yes, Durham, great ton from Buttler who is an alround nice fellow too.

Moor Pinot

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 09:59 - Aug 22 with 566 viewsLeadbelly

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 22:41 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Gary Johnson sacked by Cheltenham tonight

I suspect there may be one or two more before the end of the month.

QPR have been woeful under Steve McClaren...P4 W0 D0 L4 F2 A13. Won't need too much more of that before he'll be shown the door...again.

And I wonder what the Binners think about their new manager. 2 points from 4 games compared with 4 straight league wins to start last season. Come back Mick, all is forgiven!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 10:52 - Aug 22 with 557 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 09:27 - Aug 22 by Moor_Pinot

Splendid result.......biggest league win in how long!???

Three points on Saturday too really would announce some intent. Strange how most goalscorers were not forwards! Remember the season when we scored many goals, were promotoed but nobody got more than 9 [David Gregory]!?
It matters not, the importance is in the creation.
Terrific, Up the U's.

And yes, Durham, great ton from Buttler who is an alround nice fellow too.

Pinault - I read biggest home win for 22 years.

All the goals were well taken.

Superb performance.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 13:19 - Aug 22 with 523 viewsBFG

Highlights

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024