Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third tier football in the 1960s 15:28 - Nov 30 with 2354 viewsd3d4

Hi all,

Thought this might be of interest to you. I have recently read this book that covers football in the third tier during the 1960s — not based on Rochdale but a captivating story nonetheless.

What is so striking is how much things have changed in football — the money involved now, for example, is ridiculous.

Anyway here is a link with a bit more info for those that may be interested in this sort of stuff.

http://d3d4football.com/roy-bentleys-stationary-club-life-in-division-3-in-the-1

Thanks
James
Third tier football in the 1960s on 16:25 - Nov 30 with 2298 viewsEllDale

I used to enjoy reading Roger Titford's articles in magazines like "When Saturday Comes".
Until 1969 Reading were not on our radar but I remember us then beating them 3-2 at home after being 2-0 down with Derek Ryder of all people scoring the winner.
Should be a good read.
Third tier football in the 1960s on 19:34 - Nov 30 with 2229 viewsmingthemerciless

The Rochdale team that played in the 3rd Div played some of the best football I've seen at Spotland ( Crown Oil ). It was great until the lack of investment started to take it's toll.
Third tier football in the 1960s on 10:36 - Dec 2 with 2072 views100569

My memories of watching Rochdale at Reading are not very happy ones the stand alone incident was seeing Tony Buck break his leg there.
Third tier football in the 1960s on 10:39 - Dec 2 with 2064 views100569

Third tier football in the 1960s on 19:34 - Nov 30 by mingthemerciless

The Rochdale team that played in the 3rd Div played some of the best football I've seen at Spotland ( Crown Oil ). It was great until the lack of investment started to take it's toll.

I quite agree with you their. For me, the team from that era was the best Rochdale side I have seen.
Third tier football in the 1960s on 18:20 - Dec 2 with 1958 viewsmingthemerciless

Third tier football in the 1960s on 10:39 - Dec 2 by 100569

I quite agree with you their. For me, the team from that era was the best Rochdale side I have seen.

Me too, that was a really entertaining team. None of Whitehead, Rudd, Leach, Downes, Butler were much above 5'-7" tall either but they could play football
Third tier football in the 1960s on 07:45 - Dec 3 with 1836 viewsEllDale

There have been several threads recently about Tony Buck and how his injury changed the fortunes of the team.
To my mind just as unlucky was Vinny Leech. Dale were top of the league when he sustained the knee injury that ultimately finished his career.
He was never really replaced and when Rudd for Bury in exchange for Alf Arrowsmith the engine room of the team had been removed.
Third tier football in the 1960s on 09:23 - Dec 3 with 1809 viewsD_Alien

Third tier football in the 1960s on 07:45 - Dec 3 by EllDale

There have been several threads recently about Tony Buck and how his injury changed the fortunes of the team.
To my mind just as unlucky was Vinny Leech. Dale were top of the league when he sustained the knee injury that ultimately finished his career.
He was never really replaced and when Rudd for Bury in exchange for Alf Arrowsmith the engine room of the team had been removed.

Very true about Leech. Occupied the defensive midfield role to great effect, don't remember him ever having a shot on goal but he didn't need to with the attacking talent ahead of him and Rudd prompting them

What stands out is they were very much a team, just 14 or 15 players at most (Hugh Riley stepped forward too) which contrasts vividly with today's constant chopping and changing. Pressures are different now I suppose, but something crucial has been lost, and it's not just an exercise in nostalgia
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 9:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Third tier football in the 1960s on 09:44 - Dec 3 with 1795 viewsmingthemerciless

Third tier football in the 1960s on 09:23 - Dec 3 by D_Alien

Very true about Leech. Occupied the defensive midfield role to great effect, don't remember him ever having a shot on goal but he didn't need to with the attacking talent ahead of him and Rudd prompting them

What stands out is they were very much a team, just 14 or 15 players at most (Hugh Riley stepped forward too) which contrasts vividly with today's constant chopping and changing. Pressures are different now I suppose, but something crucial has been lost, and it's not just an exercise in nostalgia
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 9:32]

Vinny's brother John was a very good amateur footballer also. If you played against Whitworth Valley in the late 1960's you probably played against him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024