Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cannon to Pompey confirmed 18:03 - Dec 26 with 9755 viewsSaxonDale

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/portsmouth-boss-admits-swoop-

Confirmed by Jackett, all the best to him. Been a good player for us but unfortunately leaves with probably an unfulfilled Dale career, still, 150 league apps from the youth isn’t to be sniffed at. Think he’ll be a great signing for them at 150,000.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 18:10]
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:28 - Dec 27 with 2418 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:14 - Dec 27 by D_Dale

100, not 150, league appearances, SaxonDale, 74 starts and 26 as a sub. I mention this not (only) to be pedantic, but because there seems to be a pattern: in 2014-15 Cannon made 18 league appearances, followed by 25 in 2015-16, 24 in 2016-17, 21 in 2017-18 and 12 in this season.

In the four years and a couple of months since he made his league debut, on 27 September 2014, he seems not to have made the progress that might have been expected - or at least hoped for. I can't go along with the explanation suggested by some posters, that Keith Hill either didn't recognise Andy Cannon's abilities or, if he did, perversely refused to make the most of them. Maybe he was close to his peak over four years ago and hasn't developed much beyond that level.

His debut incidentally was at Leyton Orient, where he came on for the second half. Dale were then 2-1 down and Ashley Eastham had been sent off in the 30th minute. Dale scored twice more to take the three points. I hope Andy leaves Dale with fond memories of that match, as well as some subsequent ones. And I hope, by progressing to at least Championship level, he proves me wrong (especially if the deal with Pompey includes various add-ons!)

The first sign that all wasn't well between player and manager came about two years ago when Hill publicly accused him of not being able to play on after taking a knock like he expected pro footballers to do

Whatever the truth of the matter, for any manager to put that type of thing into the public realm is a pretty dismal thing to do and the sort of dirty-linen airing that very few young pros could overcome. The writing's been on the wall ever since

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:40 - Dec 27 with 2370 viewsTVOS1907

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:14 - Dec 27 by D_Dale

100, not 150, league appearances, SaxonDale, 74 starts and 26 as a sub. I mention this not (only) to be pedantic, but because there seems to be a pattern: in 2014-15 Cannon made 18 league appearances, followed by 25 in 2015-16, 24 in 2016-17, 21 in 2017-18 and 12 in this season.

In the four years and a couple of months since he made his league debut, on 27 September 2014, he seems not to have made the progress that might have been expected - or at least hoped for. I can't go along with the explanation suggested by some posters, that Keith Hill either didn't recognise Andy Cannon's abilities or, if he did, perversely refused to make the most of them. Maybe he was close to his peak over four years ago and hasn't developed much beyond that level.

His debut incidentally was at Leyton Orient, where he came on for the second half. Dale were then 2-1 down and Ashley Eastham had been sent off in the 30th minute. Dale scored twice more to take the three points. I hope Andy leaves Dale with fond memories of that match, as well as some subsequent ones. And I hope, by progressing to at least Championship level, he proves me wrong (especially if the deal with Pompey includes various add-ons!)

I'm pedantic; he's actually got 101 league appearances.

Cannon came on as a 62nd minute substitute for Ollie Rathbone in the 2-1 defeat at Scunthorpe in March 2017, but Soccerbase have missed it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:04 - Dec 27 with 2323 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:40 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

I'm pedantic; he's actually got 101 league appearances.

Cannon came on as a 62nd minute substitute for Ollie Rathbone in the 2-1 defeat at Scunthorpe in March 2017, but Soccerbase have missed it.

Do you keep a log of variations from Soccerbase? Just for Dale players i presume? How frequent are errors, e.g. per season?

[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 22:06]

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:08 - Dec 27 with 2308 viewsTVOS1907

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:04 - Dec 27 by D_Alien

Do you keep a log of variations from Soccerbase? Just for Dale players i presume? How frequent are errors, e.g. per season?

[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 22:06]

Not a log as such, but I double-check it every now and then, especially when milestones approach, players leave, etc.

To be fair, Soccerbase is pretty accurate - I'd say at least 95% - but given they rely on info supplied by PA, one error at source can then appear in loads of different places.

It was fun when we had Matty Edwards, Ryan Edwards and Phil Edwards all in the squad - their appearances are all over the place on Soccerbase for that season.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:20 - Dec 27 with 2270 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:08 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

Not a log as such, but I double-check it every now and then, especially when milestones approach, players leave, etc.

To be fair, Soccerbase is pretty accurate - I'd say at least 95% - but given they rely on info supplied by PA, one error at source can then appear in loads of different places.

It was fun when we had Matty Edwards, Ryan Edwards and Phil Edwards all in the squad - their appearances are all over the place on Soccerbase for that season.

Do they accept revisions to their database(s)?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:25 - Dec 27 with 2257 viewsTVOS1907

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:20 - Dec 27 by D_Alien

Do they accept revisions to their database(s)?

Yes, although they are a little slow to react - or not at all.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:31 - Dec 27 with 2237 viewsjudd

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:25 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

Any chance you can get them to erase the details of some of the absolute dross we've endured over the years?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:38 - Dec 27 with 2225 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:31 - Dec 27 by judd

Any chance you can get them to erase the details of some of the absolute dross we've endured over the years?

Being a little slow to react, they might decline out of sympathy with the dross

Login to get fewer ads

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:47 - Dec 27 with 2191 viewsTVOS1907

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:31 - Dec 27 by judd

Erm….

No.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 23:02 - Dec 27 with 2138 viewsjudd

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:47 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

Erm….

No.

Oh

Poll: What is it to be then?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 23:14 - Dec 27 with 2118 viewsD_Dale

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:25 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

Essentially, I suppose, the main reason for Soccerbase is to attract people who might want to gamble rather than cater for those interested in every piece of statistical information. (Though sometimes the odds on offer are strange: 9/2 Zach Clough to be the first goalscorer on Saturday?)

A few seasons ago there was a site that recorded each club's average attendance, the number of clean sheets kept and how many times a side had failed to score, league tables based on each team's home and away performances etc., etc. But it apparently folded, and I don't know of anything similar.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 23:27 - Dec 27 with 2074 viewsTVOS1907

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 23:14 - Dec 27 by D_Dale

Essentially, I suppose, the main reason for Soccerbase is to attract people who might want to gamble rather than cater for those interested in every piece of statistical information. (Though sometimes the odds on offer are strange: 9/2 Zach Clough to be the first goalscorer on Saturday?)

A few seasons ago there was a site that recorded each club's average attendance, the number of clean sheets kept and how many times a side had failed to score, league tables based on each team's home and away performances etc., etc. But it apparently folded, and I don't know of anything similar.

There are quite a few of those still around. Just Google 'League 1 Statistics' or something similar and you'll find them.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 09:38 - Dec 28 with 1805 viewsColDale

I'd assume that the deal could still have gone through but Cannon wouldn't be able to play a first team match for them until the window closes. Didn't we sign a player a couple of years ago (Owusu?) out of the window but couldn't play him until January.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 13:38 - Dec 28 with 1645 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 09:38 - Dec 28 by ColDale

I'd assume that the deal could still have gone through but Cannon wouldn't be able to play a first team match for them until the window closes. Didn't we sign a player a couple of years ago (Owusu?) out of the window but couldn't play him until January.

Yes he was another flop.......did he ever play?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024