Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday 23:05 - Jan 24 with 1218 viewsdurham_exile

Forget all the hype about important games, this is our most difficult game of the season and it will be played at St James’s Park Exeter tomorrow.

The table doesn’t lie:

Swindon 28 53
Exeter 27 53
Crewe 27 48
Plymouth 26 47
Bradford 28 46
Northampton 28 46
COL U 28 45
Cheltenham 27 44
FGR 28 44

I have been to the last three Colchester fixtures at Exeter and miserable they have been. Three defeats; 3-0 in 2017, 1-0 in 2018 and 3-0 in 2019. However, stats are there to be tested and results can change at the drop of a hat.

We drew 2-2 at the JSCS against the Grecians over the Christmas period and it was an entertaining game and probably a fair result. We are fast reaching the business end of the season and our next games will demonstrate whether our unbeaten run of 14 games will be extended or not.

Swindon H
Cambridge A
Plymouth H
Grimsby H
Port Vale A

Exeter, under Matt Taylor are unbeaten in 10 games and have only lost one league game at home this season. It is also possible that we will be up against former Colchester player Brennan Dickenson who left MK Dons on loan until the end of the season with the Grecians. He played in their recent narrow win at Grimsby.

Now injuries continue to mount, and Big Frank sadly was injured against Bradford City. He has a back injury and is unlikely to be risked tomorrow. He is added to long term injuries to Paris Cowan-Hall and Cohen Bramall.

Now how positive will JM be at St James’s Park against the Grecians. Frankly there is little point in setting up defensively and losing 2-0. We must believe that we are a good enough side to defeat any League Two team and JM must therefore put out a side good enough to get a result.

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Harriott Poku Senior

Robinson

Subs:

Ross Comley Lapslie Sowunmi Junior Norris Moore

Opinion is divided on this site about Junior. I say give him his opportunity and play him up front. Now after illness it is more likely that he will be on the bench, but 30 minutes second half must be the aim. Similarly, Norris will get some minutes at least.

Exeter were able to make 7 changes in midweek before seeing off Stevenage in the EFL Trophy. We had a difficult encounter against Bradford, but if any players have doubts about tomorrow then they shouldn’t be professional footballers.

St James’s Park is a compact stadium and the crowd will be 4,000 plus tomorrow. The weather is set for 9 degrees Celsius with light rain and some cloud.

Safe journey for the travelling faithful. I will not be at the game (sadly) but with my recent record that’s probably not a bad thing.

I reckon it will be an inspiring game and with two evenly matched teams I envisage a keenly contested match and Colchester to perform heroically to pull off their best away win of the season by 3-2 to finally cement our credentials for automatic promotion.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 17:39 - Jan 25 with 409 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 17:34 - Jan 25 by durham_exile

15 games unbeaten a point at Exeter so why am I underwhelmed.

The reason is we are accepting mediocrity.

Clinton Morrison watched today's game for Sky and he was disillusioned by the poor quality of the fare served up.

We are simply not scoring enough goals and I fear the drawn games will be the difference between achieving automatic promotion and the lottery of the play offs.

Swindon is now the wolf nearest the sledge or the crocodile nearest the canoe.

Three points on Tuesday is an absolute must but who is going to score the goals then a local derby at Cambridge.

I really hope more than ever that we can turn those drawn games into wins.

We must scour the league's for a striker to help us do just that.

A final moan replacing Robinson with Chuck on 89 mins achieves very little but we've been there before.

UTU's

Everything I was going to post and more Peter. One win in seven is not good enough when looking at the opposition we've played. This form will result in the ever likely 8th place in the league where the aiming point should be top three. We do not want to be in a lottery of play-offs but with McG's philosophy of "not losing" we have lost the idea of winning
Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 18:20 - Jan 25 with 379 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 17:39 - Jan 25 by gerry_us

Everything I was going to post and more Peter. One win in seven is not good enough when looking at the opposition we've played. This form will result in the ever likely 8th place in the league where the aiming point should be top three. We do not want to be in a lottery of play-offs but with McG's philosophy of "not losing" we have lost the idea of winning

Have to agree, we need to turn some of these draws into victories - fix that and we'll get into the top three. I like the fact we're proving hard to beat, but need more goals. On paper, this was actually a game that I thought a point would be a good result, it's not beating the likes of Morecambe, Stevenage and Crawley that's costing us. Still, with other results favourable, we're up to 5th, 15 games unbeaten, and with 6 vital points to play for in the next week.

Whisper it, our 1956/57 record unbeaten run of 20 games is now in sight...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 20:49 - Jan 25 with 336 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 18:20 - Jan 25 by wessex_exile

Have to agree, we need to turn some of these draws into victories - fix that and we'll get into the top three. I like the fact we're proving hard to beat, but need more goals. On paper, this was actually a game that I thought a point would be a good result, it's not beating the likes of Morecambe, Stevenage and Crawley that's costing us. Still, with other results favourable, we're up to 5th, 15 games unbeaten, and with 6 vital points to play for in the next week.

Whisper it, our 1956/57 record unbeaten run of 20 games is now in sight...

Have just watched the highlights from St James's Park.

Exeter had very few clear cut chances.

Callum Harriott should never have missed his chance from 6 yards out.

The pitch looked awful.

We definitely need a striker and if the club are not going to invest in one then please give Junior the opportunity for 90 minutes so that we can all make our minds up as to his ability, but do not continue to pretend we are giving youngsters their chances when this is confined to 4 minutes and 8 minutes respectively.

Swindon must be defeated on Tuesday if we are to close the gap between the automatic places especially as Plymouth have finally found some form.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to record victory against Grecians in Devon on Saturday on 21:12 - Jan 25 with 327 viewsnoah4x4

It was a good game with two defences well on top. Fair enough, we need to beat the Morecambes and Stevenages. But today was far from mediocre. A tale of last ditch defending by both teams and a weak referee that allowed skilful players to be roughed up with every contact. Exeter very physical. But Eastman, Prosser, Pell and Jackson dished it out too. Robinson was on his last legs when substituted. Norris had zero impact. Junior would not have offered sufficient physical presence and with Harriott,Poku, Senior all lightweight and no Nouble we needed a bit of steel up front. Theo provided that, but selfish Harriott, Poku and Gambin gave him zero service.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 21:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024