Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! 22:31 - Feb 5 with 764 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Quite frankly I’m sick and tired of hearing about someone who was a bit player at best but people seem to have forgotten that we did not release him. We offered him contract and he chose not to sign it because we couldn’t guarantee him first team football so he left. Not because we didn’t want him but because he chose to leave. It’s worked out well for him but it’s taken time and who’s to say it wouldn’t have worked out even better had he stayed here but that we’ll never know.

I challenge anyone on here to come up with five players that we’ve released over the last 15 seasons that have gone on to better things. I’m struggling to come up with four! The vast majority of times the club gets it right with the players they choose to release and Bonne was one they wanted to keep but HE CHOSE TO LEAVE just like Kinsella, Lua Lua, Cureton, Iwelumo, Halford, Danns, Jackson, Moncur, Gilbey, Szmodics, Kent and Vincent Young.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 23:39 - Feb 5 with 743 viewsdurham_exile

RS - great passion which is what we need at the moment. Let's hope it is instilled into the team against Plymouth on Saturday after last week's debacle against Cambridge.

Macca Bonne was not well served by our football club.
He played 84 times for Colchester (25 starts and 59 appearances from the subs bench) over 4 seasons scoring 15 times. He played 2,891 minutes for Colchester.

However in 91 appearances for Orient he played 8,093 minutes.

He has already played 1,487 minutes in 19 games for Charlton Athletic this season.

The debate continues and will do so because some liked him and some did not. It is a pity our management didn't like him.

We have an annoying record of hacking some players off which is sometimes a poor lack of judgement by the management and sometimes perhaps it is their ego to blame.

Colin Garwood was one such, Freddie Sears another. It is a fact that we will always be a selling club because of the nature of our ability to bring players on and then a bigger team comes along and takes them away. It is a fact and will always happen to players like Vincent-Young and sadly Cohen Bramall.

But what is criminal is when we have a player and he is ignored or falls out of favour with the management and is quickly discarded when his talent is wasted by the club. Macca Bonne was a great example. Gondoh and Junior two more when having been brought to the club were neither given the opportunity to play or were loaned out with no intention of bringing them back to the fold.

Jevani "Panenka" Brown is this season's misfit except that he cost £315K from Cambridge and was then ignored and allowed to go to FGR. Now you have probably watched him as much as me in the first team and he seemed to be played out of position and looked lost. But he was lauded when he came to the club by many on this site and by the management but hopelessly mismanaged. Did he have an ego problem or a discipline problem, I don't know but it appears to be money wasted.

Steven Gillespie cost £400K from Cheltenham, he was sicknote mark two although I liked him immensely as a footballer and he had a lot of talent but maybe we were unlucky with him. I'm not blaming the club in his case but we did pay over the odds.

This season though we have brought Comley on (most improved player) but now he is playing only a bit part the same as Ben Stevenson. Frankly it is criminal. JM will not play those two with Harry Pell and persists with his wingers (Senior, Gambit and Harriott) all three blow hot and cold (mainly luke warm).

This week will determine our season. If we are not at the races then our season will essentially be over as a credible promotion campaign because defeat spells the end of automatic promotion and a draw is simply not good enough.

I was at Home Park in August when we were very unlucky to lose 1-0. A draw would have been a fair result but we had the chances to win. This Saturday is all about showing the Green Army that they are not the finished article.

In the meantime, bottle that frustration and bring it to bear against the Devonians at the weekend.

UTU's

Oh and another thing we were promised a replacement for Brown and another striker, neither has materialised.

Durham_exile

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 00:09 - Feb 6 with 737 viewswessex_exile

Incidentally, I think Durham’s mention of Macca Bonne in the Hall of Fame thread was a tongue in cheek response to me jocularly suggesting the outcome for anyone nominating Junior. I thought so, anyway...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 00:35 - Feb 6 with 731 viewsdurham_exile

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 00:09 - Feb 6 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, I think Durham’s mention of Macca Bonne in the Hall of Fame thread was a tongue in cheek response to me jocularly suggesting the outcome for anyone nominating Junior. I thought so, anyway...

Wessex quite right a poor attempt at humour, but I agree with your serious selection.

UTU's

Durham_exile

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 09:09 - Feb 6 with 700 viewsburnsieespana

Football as life is all about opinions.
Personally I never rated Bonne putting him in the same mold as Guy but good luck to him for achieving what he has this season with Charlton.
On the other side of the debate we should think how well the management has done in recognising the talent in players like Sears, Moncur, KVY, Brammal and bringing them into the club and then selling them at a profit.
In life we all sometimes miss the potential in people as I did 35 years ago with a guy under me who I did not think suitable for a role. Subsequently he left and went on with the same role with another organisation rising to the very top so much so he is now on a year world cruise following retirement. At the time I could not see his potential!
WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 09:58 - Feb 6 with 693 viewsgerry_us

RSC. Did he choose to leave "because" he was only going to be "a bit player" under the current management . Could it be that Juniors departure replicates this very scenario.
Maybe a change of management would mean that flair players would stand a better chance?
WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 17:10 - Feb 6 with 656 viewsnoah4x4

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 09:58 - Feb 6 by gerry_us

RSC. Did he choose to leave "because" he was only going to be "a bit player" under the current management . Could it be that Juniors departure replicates this very scenario.
Maybe a change of management would mean that flair players would stand a better chance?

Junior, aged 25, who played for 14 non-league clubs in seven years; played briefly in Turkey; then took his chance at Maldon & Tiptree, then played in 12 EFL games for the U's in 2018; scoring only once; impressed few. Sent out on loan to develop, did well in the lesser paced, less demanding Irish League. Fair enough. Deserved another chance.

Came back in November, not match fit for EFL; failed to impress in admittedly brief appearances as a substitute in the First XI, but also didn't impress after starts in the much slower paced under 23's during January despite being an over age player.

Quite evidently not good enough for the First XI when we have Norris, Robinson and Nouble all capable of leading the line and with young Jake Hutchinson and Andre Hasanally as back up; both are playing brilliantly in the U23s that have recently put in immense performances in the U23 Premier Cup.

My guess is that we didn't know what to do with a patently struggling Junior and his agent has found him another overseas club. Bonne was completely different. He thought he was better than he was (anybody remember that TV interview?). Dropped out of the EFL and had to prove himself again, including gaining maturity and the right attitude. Fair play to him as he is now delivering. Freddie Lapado similar. But how many others we have released have made it elsewhere? My prediction. Junior will never again feature in the EFL having not succeeded by the age of 26 (next month). Macaulay Bonne is two years younger.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 17:14]
WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 19:13 - Feb 6 with 630 viewsbwildered

Bonne wanted a guarantee of a first team place . Quite rightly this was refused .
With the signings of Poku and Harriott while on Irish duty, Junior's time was always going to be limited on his return. Sorry to say, but given his age in football terms, now past his sell by date.
Let's hope he proves everyone wrong, wish him well for the future.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 20:28 - Feb 6 with 618 viewsGOSBTS

I have nothing to add on the topic of Bonne as I wasn’t a U’s fan when he was at the club, but the talk of Jevani Brown has reminded me how Cambridge have absolutely screwed us over this season. 6 points and £300k for a dud player!
Login to get fewer ads

WE DID NOT RELEASE MACAULEY BONNE!!! on 21:47 - Feb 6 with 603 viewsbwildered

It's not Cambridge fault how he is played or managed after his departure, and he is only worth what another want to pay for him .
Every club must have bought a player that has not fitted in or performed as required.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 21:48]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024