Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Parry 09:09 - Aug 15 with 1999 viewsCheadleEndKen

Sad to inform Rochdale fans of the death of former player Colin Parry. Colin passed away In Stockport yesterday after a long illness
Colin played for both Rochdale and Stockport in his career and was a big part of your 1969promotion winning team in which he was big mates with Reg Jennings. I sure he will be remembered by your older fans as a no nonsense strong centre half.
Colin Parry on 09:12 - Aug 15 with 1983 viewsSuddenLad

A legend at Rochdale. Strong, fearless and took no prisoners. A great player in a great team. Very sad to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family and friends. He will be sadly missed and never forgotten by those who saw him play. Rest in Peace Colin. Thanks for the memories.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Colin Parry on 10:26 - Aug 15 with 1891 viewsjpresto

Reg Jenkins
Colin Parry on 11:32 - Aug 15 with 1804 viewsEllDale

Saddened to hear the news.
Colin was the sort of player who doesn’t exist anymore. By that I mean that he didn’t drive and so got the bus from Stockport to Rochdale every day.
His mode of travel improved when we signed Alf Arrowsmith who could give him a lift!
As kids at Bishop Henshaw we used to spot them filling up at the petrol station on Oldham Road.
Stalwart and integral part of that promotion team although he didn’t always receive the plaudits he deserved.
Smart piece of work by Bob Stokoe.
RIP
Colin Parry on 12:11 - Aug 15 with 1725 viewsD_Alien

Colin was an absolute rock in that promotion team, and when we made waves in the third tier he was completely at home there, nullifying the presence of many an old school CF. His partnership at the back with Joe Ashworth hasn't been bettered since

Very tall and rangy, he could stick a leg out miles and if it didn't get the ball back it got the man, but he also had impeccable timing. My main memory of him is nearly grabbing an equalizer for us in the last minute of a 1-0 defeat at Villa Park. Coming up for a corner, no-one else was going to get the ball and if it'd gone a few inches either way their keeper would've had no chance. Don't think he ever scored for us? But he was a winner. RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colin Parry on 12:18 - Aug 15 with 1716 viewsEllDale

Seem to remember him scoring for us in a melee following a corner in front of the Sandy when he was lying on the floor and hooked the ball in?
Don’t ask me when or against who but it was definitely after we’d been promoted.
Like you say, he didn’t score many which is why this one sticks in the memory.
Colin Parry on 12:27 - Aug 15 with 1695 viewsBuckTheTrend

Colin Parry on 12:18 - Aug 15 by EllDale

Seem to remember him scoring for us in a melee following a corner in front of the Sandy when he was lying on the floor and hooked the ball in?
Don’t ask me when or against who but it was definitely after we’d been promoted.
Like you say, he didn’t score many which is why this one sticks in the memory.

Just the one, 29/1/72 at home to Halifax Town (3-2 for the Dale).
I remember being on the same bus as him on the way to the Southend promotion clincher in 1969 !!
Colin Parry on 18:02 - Aug 15 with 1409 views100569

Sad news indeed. He was a great no nonsense centre half and along with Joe Ashworth made a great central defensive pairing. He was a great player in a great team. Thanks Colin for many happy memories of your time at Rochdale.

Condolences to his family. RIP
Colin Parry on 18:37 - Aug 15 with 1378 viewsArthurDaley

Colin Parry on 12:27 - Aug 15 by BuckTheTrend

Just the one, 29/1/72 at home to Halifax Town (3-2 for the Dale).
I remember being on the same bus as him on the way to the Southend promotion clincher in 1969 !!

Think its the same game, we had signed Jack Howarth from Aldershot. When the ball went in Jack was dancing all over the place. Think everyone could see Colin got a boot on it. Best £500 we ever spent on a player.

A large VAT Dave

Login to get fewer ads

Colin Parry on 21:58 - Aug 15 with 1289 viewsEllDale

I think Howarth did score the winner in that game though deep in stoppage time.
Outjumped the Halifax keeper to a cross from the right in front of the Pearl Street.
I was standing by the exit gate on Willbutts Lane ready to run for the bus as soon as the final whistle went at the time.
Funny how things stick in the mind.
Colin Parry on 22:11 - Aug 15 with 1271 viewsTVOS1907

Colin Parry on 21:58 - Aug 15 by EllDale

I think Howarth did score the winner in that game though deep in stoppage time.
Outjumped the Halifax keeper to a cross from the right in front of the Pearl Street.
I was standing by the exit gate on Willbutts Lane ready to run for the bus as soon as the final whistle went at the time.
Funny how things stick in the mind.

Colin Parry (22 mins) 1-0
Bill Atkins (32) 1-1
Jack Howarth (68) 2-1
Bob Wallace (79) 2-2
Jack Howarth (89) 3-2

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Colin Parry on 01:08 - Aug 16 with 1197 viewsdale5758

great player for us and very underrated

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024