Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v Vale 15:09 - Aug 26 with 11233 viewsrkershaw

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1044395074?-1906:1007
Dale v Vale on 15:21 - Aug 26 with 5099 viewsisitme

[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 15:21]
Dale v Vale on 17:20 - Aug 26 with 4838 viewsD_Dale

Just to confirm it's free of charge:

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/august/pre-season-fixture-rochdale-a.f.c/
Dale v Vale on 17:34 - Aug 26 with 4791 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 17:20 - Aug 26 by D_Dale

Just to confirm it's free of charge:

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/august/pre-season-fixture-rochdale-a.f.c/

That's because it's on YouTube.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/pre-season--port-vale_2020/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale v Vale on 12:25 - Aug 29 with 4238 viewsD_Dale

It looks as though BB-M's starting line-up this afternoon will be similar to that against Oldham on Tuesday (given in the report below); and maybe these are the players that are most likely to feature when the season really begins.

I wonder why Oldham asked for no video coverage, not even Newby's goal!

Rochdale were 1-0 winners over Oldham Athletic in a competitive behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday afternoon.

Alex Newby scored the goal in the victory at the Latics’ training ground, making it three pre-season wins from three for Brian Barry-Murphy’s men.

With both Rochdale and Oldham still at risk of a local lockdown, the Clubs were prevented from announcing the game beforehand, under the guidance of Greater Manchester Police, in order to reduce the likelihood of supporters attending the match.

New signing Gavin Bazunu was in net for Dale, and he produced the first save of the game, holding an effort from a Latics forward with 17 minutes on the clock.

Paul McShane headed wide from a corner, before Kwadwo Baah, in one-on-one, was snuffed out by the ‘keeper.

Danny Rowe’s 35-yard strike was held by Bazunu on the half hour, while Lund headed over from a Done corner in stoppage time.

HT | OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0-0

There was one Dale change at the break, as Jimmy Ryan replaced Matty Lund.

Rowe struck a powerful effort over from 20-yards three minutes into the second half, but it was Dale who came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock soon after. Eventual goal scorer Newby saw his strike, aimed for the top corner, drop just inches wide.

Rowe forced Bazunu into a save with a long-range effort on 51 minutes, but the Manchester City loanee did well to push it away.

Despite the Latics’ early efforts in the second half, Dale dominated the majority of the period.

Baah and Aaron Morley both struck over, while Ryan had a shot blocked a short time later.

Rochdale’s break-through came in the 63rd minute, when Newby left the goalkeeper stranded, after lifting his free-kick from 25-yards up and over the wall.

After the goal, there were four substitutions. Ryan McLaughlin, McShane, Stephen Dooley and Newby were replaced by Jim McNulty, Jimmy Keohane, Harrison Hopper and Fabio Tavares. A short time later, Keaton Mulvery came on for Eoghan O'Connell.

Matty Done had a shot parried away, while Bazunu held a header from David Wheater before the game was out.

FT | OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0-1 ROCHDALE

With no supporters in attendance, the Ernie Cooksey Trophy was not competed for during today’s game, so it’ll stay at the Crown Oil Arena for another season.

At the request of Oldham Athletic, there will be no highlights made available from the match.

Dale starting XI | Bazunu, McLaughlin, McShane, O’Connell, Mialkowski, Lund, Morley, Dooley, Newby, Done, Baah.
Dale v Vale on 12:31 - Aug 29 with 4216 viewsDaleiLama

Looking forward to the next 2 games. We're playing better teams each week and should have a rough idea of what we might expect from the season before it starts by the 12th.

In spite of the comms last Saturday we outplayed their starters in the 1st half and I would hope for more of the same today. Even though our front line (hopefully) isn't set yet, the litmus test for me will be creating chances.

Next Saturday will be more about attrition and hitting HTFC on the break.

UTD

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Dale v Vale on 12:40 - Aug 29 with 4188 viewsboromat

Dale v Vale on 12:31 - Aug 29 by DaleiLama

Looking forward to the next 2 games. We're playing better teams each week and should have a rough idea of what we might expect from the season before it starts by the 12th.

In spite of the comms last Saturday we outplayed their starters in the 1st half and I would hope for more of the same today. Even though our front line (hopefully) isn't set yet, the litmus test for me will be creating chances.

Next Saturday will be more about attrition and hitting HTFC on the break.

UTD

I think Vale are going to be strong in League 2 this year so should be a good test. I'm looking forward to it.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale v Vale on 12:44 - Aug 29 with 4169 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 12:25 - Aug 29 by D_Dale

It looks as though BB-M's starting line-up this afternoon will be similar to that against Oldham on Tuesday (given in the report below); and maybe these are the players that are most likely to feature when the season really begins.

I wonder why Oldham asked for no video coverage, not even Newby's goal!

Rochdale were 1-0 winners over Oldham Athletic in a competitive behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday afternoon.

Alex Newby scored the goal in the victory at the Latics’ training ground, making it three pre-season wins from three for Brian Barry-Murphy’s men.

With both Rochdale and Oldham still at risk of a local lockdown, the Clubs were prevented from announcing the game beforehand, under the guidance of Greater Manchester Police, in order to reduce the likelihood of supporters attending the match.

New signing Gavin Bazunu was in net for Dale, and he produced the first save of the game, holding an effort from a Latics forward with 17 minutes on the clock.

Paul McShane headed wide from a corner, before Kwadwo Baah, in one-on-one, was snuffed out by the ‘keeper.

Danny Rowe’s 35-yard strike was held by Bazunu on the half hour, while Lund headed over from a Done corner in stoppage time.

HT | OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0-0

There was one Dale change at the break, as Jimmy Ryan replaced Matty Lund.

Rowe struck a powerful effort over from 20-yards three minutes into the second half, but it was Dale who came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock soon after. Eventual goal scorer Newby saw his strike, aimed for the top corner, drop just inches wide.

Rowe forced Bazunu into a save with a long-range effort on 51 minutes, but the Manchester City loanee did well to push it away.

Despite the Latics’ early efforts in the second half, Dale dominated the majority of the period.

Baah and Aaron Morley both struck over, while Ryan had a shot blocked a short time later.

Rochdale’s break-through came in the 63rd minute, when Newby left the goalkeeper stranded, after lifting his free-kick from 25-yards up and over the wall.

After the goal, there were four substitutions. Ryan McLaughlin, McShane, Stephen Dooley and Newby were replaced by Jim McNulty, Jimmy Keohane, Harrison Hopper and Fabio Tavares. A short time later, Keaton Mulvery came on for Eoghan O'Connell.

Matty Done had a shot parried away, while Bazunu held a header from David Wheater before the game was out.

FT | OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0-1 ROCHDALE

With no supporters in attendance, the Ernie Cooksey Trophy was not competed for during today’s game, so it’ll stay at the Crown Oil Arena for another season.

At the request of Oldham Athletic, there will be no highlights made available from the match.

Dale starting XI | Bazunu, McLaughlin, McShane, O’Connell, Mialkowski, Lund, Morley, Dooley, Newby, Done, Baah.

One would imagine Oldham had some trialists playing who they didn't want anyone to see.

Dale v Vale on 12:47 - Aug 29 with 4145 views442Dale

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-recruitment_2020/

On the 20th BBM said we needed 5/6 players. We’ve brought in a goalkeeper since then. It’s disappointing to not hear about any further recruitments to the forward line since going into a friendly one week before the season starts. Nobody would have expected all five or six players to have arrived straight away, but purely from integrating a striker into the way we play, it would have been useful to see one in at least by now.

Actually believe we are as weak in proven striking options as at any time in as long as I can remember. That probably includes the 80s!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Dale v Vale on 12:55 - Aug 29 with 4105 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 12:47 - Aug 29 by 442Dale

On the 20th BBM said we needed 5/6 players. We’ve brought in a goalkeeper since then. It’s disappointing to not hear about any further recruitments to the forward line since going into a friendly one week before the season starts. Nobody would have expected all five or six players to have arrived straight away, but purely from integrating a striker into the way we play, it would have been useful to see one in at least by now.

Actually believe we are as weak in proven striking options as at any time in as long as I can remember. That probably includes the 80s!

What's Vernon Allatt up to these days?

Dale v Vale on 12:57 - Aug 29 with 4097 viewsJames1980

Dale v Vale on 12:55 - Aug 29 by TVOS1907

What's Vernon Allatt up to these days?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/09/16/ex-striker-and-fans-favourite-sac

Back in 2015

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Dale v Vale on 12:59 - Aug 29 with 4089 viewsChaffRAFC

Good post and one I completely agree with. I was speaking to someone yesterday about the Coleman era and then realised that with the likes of Grimes, Gornell, Adebola, Symes etc, we had a stronger forward line than what we have now and we only stayed up that season because of Bobby Grant and Keith Hill's return.

We've released 4 forwards and a loannee went back. Those 5 forwards contributed 19 goals last season in an unfinished season. Yes, that also indicates that the likes of Andrew and Gillam offered absolutely nothing but those 19 goals will have to come from somewhere to give us at least half a chance.

Matt Done, Fabio Tavares, Keaton Mulvey and Kwadwo Baah, do they have 19 goals in them? I would say absolutely not due to form, age and experience levels.

Yes, things may change by the time the window shuts but we don't have the quality to be able to play catch up on the other, better prepared sides in our league.

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Dale v Vale on 13:04 - Aug 29 with 4060 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 12:57 - Aug 29 by James1980

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/09/16/ex-striker-and-fans-favourite-sac

Back in 2015

Rare for him to hit the target!

Dale v Vale on 13:06 - Aug 29 with 4056 viewsDaleiLama

None of which would qualify as a carrot for ailing SC sales - guessing that lack of updates on progress reflect how dire it's been?

Dale v Vale on 13:16 - Aug 29 with 4017 views442Dale

Dale v Vale on 12:59 - Aug 29 by ChaffRAFC

Good post and one I completely agree with. I was speaking to someone yesterday about the Coleman era and then realised that with the likes of Grimes, Gornell, Adebola, Symes etc, we had a stronger forward line than what we have now and we only stayed up that season because of Bobby Grant and Keith Hill's return.

We've released 4 forwards and a loannee went back. Those 5 forwards contributed 19 goals last season in an unfinished season. Yes, that also indicates that the likes of Andrew and Gillam offered absolutely nothing but those 19 goals will have to come from somewhere to give us at least half a chance.

Matt Done, Fabio Tavares, Keaton Mulvey and Kwadwo Baah, do they have 19 goals in them? I would say absolutely not due to form, age and experience levels.

Yes, things may change by the time the window shuts but we don't have the quality to be able to play catch up on the other, better prepared sides in our league.

This post has been edited by an administrator

In 89/90 we had a very weak looking strikeforce in pre-season - Kevin Stonehouse was the experienced option, with Dean Walling and Robbie Whellans to assist him. Since then, with a week to go before seasons start, we’ve been better stocked in that department than we are at present

Dale v Vale on 13:17 - Aug 29 with 4016 viewsEllDale

Is it penalties in the Carabao Cup next weekend if the teams are level after 90 minutes?
Could actually see us playing without an out-and-out striker and going for the draw if so?
Dale v Vale on 13:26 - Aug 29 with 3982 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 13:17 - Aug 29 by EllDale

Is it penalties in the Carabao Cup next weekend if the teams are level after 90 minutes?
Could actually see us playing without an out-and-out striker and going for the draw if so?

Yes

Dale v Vale on 13:42 - Aug 29 with 3927 viewsYadHoDale

Dale v Vale on 13:26 - Aug 29 by TVOS1907

Yes

A few weeks ago, I watched a rerun of the 2012 European Nations Cup final. Spain managed to win 4-0 without a recognised striker in the starting XI.

Cesc Fabregas played up front. Could one of our midfielders play the Cesc role?
Dale v Vale on 13:59 - Aug 29 with 3853 viewsD_Dale

Dale v Vale on 12:44 - Aug 29 by TVOS1907

One would imagine Oldham had some trialists playing who they didn't want anyone to see.

Very likely. According to the Latics report, below, there were three trialists.

Harry Kewell suffered his first defeat of pre-season in a behind-closed-doors game against rivals Rochdale at Chapel Road this afternoon.

On a wet and windy day as Storm Francis approached, it saw a rotation to the usual line-up that has started the three previous fixtures.

The likes of Hamer, Keillor-Dunn and Piergianni all took part in a training session before the scheduled friendly.

Featuring the same trialists as in previous games alongside second-year academy scholars both sides cancelled each other out for large parts of the encounter.

Danny Rowe had a glancing header at the near post early on as well as a handful of chances from range that were off target or into the hands of the new Dale keeper, with the opposition restricted to their own half chances and crosses that never really troubled Woods.

With Rochdale the more comfortable in possession and with more of their fair share of attacking play, it was the resolute Latics defence that kept them away, with the likes of Wheater producing some fine last ditch tackles to prevent a shot on goal.

The deadlock was broken on the hour-mark through Alex Newby. A foul by Fage on the edge of the box meant the midfielder could loop his effort over the wall direct from a free-kick nestling into the goal, as Woods was caught flat-footed.

As Dale continued to find pockets of space and attack, it was wayward shots in the final third that prevented more goals.

Another golden chance for Oldham came towards the end when the Trialist in the centre of midfield finished off a slick attacking move on the right with a fierce effort from an angle at distance that brushed the side netting.

Due to it being a training match the Ernie Cooksey Trophy wasn't competed for like last pre-season. This will hopefully return in the near future when it is safe for supporters of both clubs to attend in person to support the cause.

On today's game, Head Coach Harry Kewell said; "It was a good test for us and it was a chance for a few of them to get 90 minutes under their belt, which was the main thing for us with no injuries.

"I'm pleased and happy with what we got out of it as pre-season continues to progress at a fast pace.

"I thought they all played well and Rochdale are a tough team, they're well organised and had quality players out there.

He added: "The team that didn't play trained before and put in a good shift meaning we could work on a few extra things. So overall it's been another productive and worthwhile day for us, we rest tomorrow and continue to work hard for the rest of the week."

The fixture wasn't publicised after advice from Greater Manchester Police. With the recent increased local restrictions in place, in addition to the games against Accrington Stanley and Curzon Ashton being attended by supporters despite warnings to stay away for public safety, it was agreed that both teams would provide an update once the fixture had taken place.

Team: Woods, Fage, Wheater, Trialist, Trialist, Da Silva (Speed 67'), Trialist, Hough (Gaskell 62'), Trialist, Rowe (Higgins 72'), Luamba.
Dale v Vale on 14:01 - Aug 29 with 3842 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Vale on 13:59 - Aug 29 by D_Dale

Very likely. According to the Latics report, below, there were three trialists.

Harry Kewell suffered his first defeat of pre-season in a behind-closed-doors game against rivals Rochdale at Chapel Road this afternoon.

On a wet and windy day as Storm Francis approached, it saw a rotation to the usual line-up that has started the three previous fixtures.

The likes of Hamer, Keillor-Dunn and Piergianni all took part in a training session before the scheduled friendly.

Featuring the same trialists as in previous games alongside second-year academy scholars both sides cancelled each other out for large parts of the encounter.

Danny Rowe had a glancing header at the near post early on as well as a handful of chances from range that were off target or into the hands of the new Dale keeper, with the opposition restricted to their own half chances and crosses that never really troubled Woods.

With Rochdale the more comfortable in possession and with more of their fair share of attacking play, it was the resolute Latics defence that kept them away, with the likes of Wheater producing some fine last ditch tackles to prevent a shot on goal.

The deadlock was broken on the hour-mark through Alex Newby. A foul by Fage on the edge of the box meant the midfielder could loop his effort over the wall direct from a free-kick nestling into the goal, as Woods was caught flat-footed.

As Dale continued to find pockets of space and attack, it was wayward shots in the final third that prevented more goals.

Another golden chance for Oldham came towards the end when the Trialist in the centre of midfield finished off a slick attacking move on the right with a fierce effort from an angle at distance that brushed the side netting.

Due to it being a training match the Ernie Cooksey Trophy wasn't competed for like last pre-season. This will hopefully return in the near future when it is safe for supporters of both clubs to attend in person to support the cause.

On today's game, Head Coach Harry Kewell said; "It was a good test for us and it was a chance for a few of them to get 90 minutes under their belt, which was the main thing for us with no injuries.

"I'm pleased and happy with what we got out of it as pre-season continues to progress at a fast pace.

"I thought they all played well and Rochdale are a tough team, they're well organised and had quality players out there.

He added: "The team that didn't play trained before and put in a good shift meaning we could work on a few extra things. So overall it's been another productive and worthwhile day for us, we rest tomorrow and continue to work hard for the rest of the week."

The fixture wasn't publicised after advice from Greater Manchester Police. With the recent increased local restrictions in place, in addition to the games against Accrington Stanley and Curzon Ashton being attended by supporters despite warnings to stay away for public safety, it was agreed that both teams would provide an update once the fixture had taken place.

Team: Woods, Fage, Wheater, Trialist, Trialist, Da Silva (Speed 67'), Trialist, Hough (Gaskell 62'), Trialist, Rowe (Higgins 72'), Luamba.

Less to copy and paste this way: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/august/25082020-rochdale-psf-gallery/

Dale v Vale on 14:02 - Aug 29 with 3839 viewsrkershaw

Dale v Vale on 13:42 - Aug 29 by YadHoDale

A few weeks ago, I watched a rerun of the 2012 European Nations Cup final. Spain managed to win 4-0 without a recognised striker in the starting XI.

Cesc Fabregas played up front. Could one of our midfielders play the Cesc role?

It would appear that we are, indeed, going with the 'false 9' rotational system......
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 14:02]
Dale v Vale on 14:33 - Aug 29 with 3715 viewsJames1980

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Dale v Vale on 14:34 - Aug 29 with 3701 viewsdingdangblue

Dale v Vale on 14:33 - Aug 29 by James1980

Ollie Rathgone 😪

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale v Vale on 14:38 - Aug 29 with 3665 views442Dale

Dale v Vale on 14:34 - Aug 29 by dingdangblue

Ollie Rathgone 😪

If he has/does, every penny better be added to BBM’s budget. The lack of additions and/or trialists seven days before we play our first competitive game is demoralising to say the least. It must be for the coaching team and experienced players too.

Dale v Vale on 14:49 - Aug 29 with 3565 viewsDaleiLama

Dale v Vale on 14:34 - Aug 29 by dingdangblue

Ollie Rathgone 😪

Rumours he's been offered £5k/w and 2 Jags.

Dale v Vale on 14:55 - Aug 29 with 3509 viewsIOMDale

Dale v Vale on 14:49 - Aug 29 by DaleiLama

Rumours he's been offered £5k/w and 2 Jags.

Mrs Prescott? I think I’ll pass.

UTDNFS

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024