Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS 18:46 - Jan 12 with 9747 viewsNotLoyal

Barnsley v Swansea City
Saturday 16th January 2021
Oakwell
Kick off 7.45 pm

How can I watch the game ?

Watch the game LIVE on Sky Sports

Match officials
Jeremy Simpson will be the man in the middle when Swansea City travel to face Barnsley in the Championship on Saturday (7.45pm). Here we see him protesting to a shopkeeper after being accused of stealing five fruit salad chews. Later it was revealed it wasn’t him but his wife Mrs Simpson who now lives with a bloke called Edward.

Nothing to do with me guv, Jeremy reiterating he doesn’t like fruit salad chews

History
Apart from the play offs penalty shoot out in 2006, in front of 37,418 Swansea City fans in Cardiff - Barnsley haven’t beaten Swansea in Fifteen games stretching back to November 1983. Barnsley won that day 3-2. The last time the clubs met was at the Liberty only 29 days prior to this reverse fixture, the swans won 2-0 with Jamal Lowe scoring after two minutes. You could say the swans gave Barnsley a walkabout that day.

Dickies Bird
Famous white coat, butcher lookalike apron wearing Richard Bird is a native of Barnsley, he is a British nationalist who is a huge supporter of the Union of Britain. He once headed a group of 200 people asking Scotland to remain British before the Scotland devolution vote. Harold Dennis Bird would have been proud had he not been the same person. Dickie never married using the excuse he was married to cricket. Now at the age of 109 and locked down in the Oval with only his dodgy wrist and a potato peeler Dickie may well be having second thoughts.

Dickie giving it the finger, not once has he visited a ladies part with that digit

A Barnsley did you know ?
Did you know that the World famous Arctic Monkeys studied at Barnsley College? As did the 1990s band The Darkness. The heavy metal band Saxon started their rock carrier playing in the local pubs of Barnsley before hitting the big time and becoming one of the most famous bands in the world. Black comedian Charlie Williams (1928—2006) was born in Barnsley, he was an ex-professional footballer and stand-up genius. Harry Worth (1917—1989), actor, comedian and ventriloquist was also from Barnsley, wore a hat and did odd things in shop windows, invented the fart.

Barnsley were once likened by their fans as ‘just like watching Brasil’ This was when they were in the premier league. Alan Brazil, the overweight and indulgent Talk Sport host is a larger than life beetroot. Just for the record.

Beetroot facial Alan - in Dundee with his bare feet conundrum

Coronation Street is filmed in the dales of Yorkshire, when it was called Emmerdale Farm people used to go and watch episodes being filmed, it was always very blustery and windy hence the term ‘Blowing a Gail’ This term was often used by people watching the filming.

Just look at her face, Gail realising the weather is taking a turn

Barnsley latest
It could also be the first chance to see new signings Liam Kitching and Carlton Morris. Both recruits were cup-tied last weekend but could well be in contention for the visit of Swansea on Saturday evening.

Key Threat

Woodrow has been a consistent scorer for Barnsley ever since joining from Fulham, and it has proved the case again this term with the striker having 10 goals in all competitions, while also weighing in with four assists. Captain Mowatt has chipped in with four goals from midfield, plus two assists, while the lovely Conor Chaplin also carries a threat in the final third. Wing-back Callum Styles, meanwhile, has excelled after making his breakthrough following lockdown last year.

Team news

Barnsley: Jack Walton, Callum Styles, Mads Andersen, Callum Brittain, Herbie Kane, Cauley Woodrow, Conor Chaplin, Michael Sollbauer, Alex Mowatt (captain), Victor Adeboyejo, Michal Helik.

Substitutes: Carlton Morris, Luke Thomas, Patrick Schmidt, Tom Sibbick, Romal Palmer, Clarke Oduor, Dominik Frieser, Jasper Moon, Ben Collins.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi; Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew.

Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Ryan Manning, Wayne Routledge, Liam Cullen, Yan Dhanda, Joel Latibeaudiere, George Byers, Oli Cooper, Jordon Garrick.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Kyle Naughton - having returned from a side strain against Stevenage in the FA Cup - starts a league game for the first time since the defeat at Derby before Christmas.

He comes in at the expense of Ryan Manning in the only change to the side that started that victory over the Hornets.

New signing Ben Hamer is named among the substitutes following his move from Huddersfield.

Freddie Woodman starts in goal, with Naughton joining Marc Guehi and Ben Cabango in the Swans back three.

Connor Roberts and Jake Bidwell take the wing-back roles, while Korey Smith, captain Matt Grimes and Jay Fulton will once again form the midfield unit.

In-form forwards Jamal Lowe and Andre Ayew are partnered together in attack, while Joel Latibeaudiere is fit enough for a place on the bench after recovering from a calf injury.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:39 - Jan 16 with 1198 viewsThornburyswan

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:32 - Jan 16 by AndyCole

Smith is an omnipresent beast, such a Cooper player, so Us. No negotiables.

We have such a sexy balance in the middle. The envy of many no doubt.

We have seemingly developed a very useful knack of winning games when playing very averagely - long may it continue.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:42 - Jan 16 with 1162 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:39 - Jan 16 by Thornburyswan

We have seemingly developed a very useful knack of winning games when playing very averagely - long may it continue.

Didn’t even break sweat. The performance of a top two team

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:43 - Jan 16 with 1152 viewsAnotherJohn

If you can't win by playing your opponents off the park then winning ugly still feels good.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 21:45]
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:44 - Jan 16 with 1125 viewsraynor94

I'm awaiting Perches verdict with baited breath, Cooper Lowe and Fred, his three favourites

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:46 - Jan 16 with 1082 viewsTreforys_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:44 - Jan 16 by raynor94

I'm awaiting Perches verdict with baited breath, Cooper Lowe and Fred, his three favourites

He'll be the victim again.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:48 - Jan 16 with 1067 viewsswancity

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:39 - Jan 16 by Thornburyswan

Averagely ?

I understand your point but that was a 10 out of 10 defensive and goalkeeping performance. It was a thoroughly professional calculated effort throughout albeit for the neutral a poor quality game and 4 out of 10 for entertainment value.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:48 - Jan 16 with 1064 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Very average, another very average clean sheet and another very average two goals away from home.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:48 - Jan 16 with 1062 viewsbuilthjack

Well,done Stevie and team. Great save from Woodman.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:51 - Jan 16 with 1050 viewsjackrabbit

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:35 - Jan 16 by AndyCole

Any shouts for Dhanda ?

No way would any sane manager stick the luxurious Dhanda into our mix.

Dhanda £3m??, go get it Winter

Dhanda just might have got it down, controlled it and started a passing movement. A rare treat in a game that could have graced League 2. Still we won, which is the important thing, so we’ll put it down to the horrible pitch.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:51 - Jan 16 with 1051 viewsAndyCole

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:43 - Jan 16 by AnotherJohn

If you can't win by playing your opponents off the park then winning ugly still feels good.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 21:45]

Ugly ? Really ?

It was a thoroughly controlled defensive display, dogged, fit and highly confident belief in one another.

An enjoyable 2-0 away win for me, in so many ways.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:54 - Jan 16 with 1038 viewsTenbySwan

Good solid performance.
Two good goals, great save from Freddy and everyone giving it all .

God I wish the commentators from Sky would shut the feck up!!!!!!

Would love to have the option as Amazon do just to have stadium atmosphere.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:58 - Jan 16 with 1007 viewsHighjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:48 - Jan 16 by builthjack

Well,done Stevie and team. Great save from Woodman.

If he was bigger, stronger and braver he would have caught it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:01 - Jan 16 with 984 viewsTreforys_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:58 - Jan 16 by Highjack

Exactly and thrown it out to Ayew all in one movement, could have got a 3rd then. Needs dropping to be honest.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:01 - Jan 16 with 978 viewsFlashberryjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:54 - Jan 16 by TenbySwan

Good solid performance.
Two good goals, great save from Freddy and everyone giving it all .

God I wish the commentators from Sky would shut the feck up!!!!!!

Would love to have the option as Amazon do just to have stadium atmosphere.

Who were the commentators ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:06 - Jan 16 with 949 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:58 - Jan 16 by Highjack

😹😹😹😹😹

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:06 - Jan 16 with 944 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:01 - Jan 16 by Flashberryjack

Waldorf and Stadler

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:07 - Jan 16 with 941 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:01 - Jan 16 by Flashberryjack

Geoff boycott, Dickie Bird and Michael Parkinson.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:12 - Jan 16 with 904 viewsTreforys_Jack

Great interview from Barnsley manager, interviewer really pushing the offside issue against Lowe, he said irrelevant, we should have cleared it.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:12 - Jan 16 with 904 viewsFlashberryjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:07 - Jan 16 by felixstowe_jack

Wish they had been, instead of those pair of twerps tonight.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:17 - Jan 16 with 877 viewsjackrabbit

Excellent post on SCFC2. Trust the poster won’t mind me repeating most of it here:

“ Good win.

Table looking healthy.

But would be so much better if I could love my team rather than merely respect them.

I'm not budging one bit from what I said a few weeks ago - if we get promoted playing like this, we'll be straight back down at a rate of knots.

If you can't retain the ball at Barnsley in the second tier, then you're going to be mincemeat most weeks in the top flight.

Sorry if that offends people or you don't want to hear it after a win that consolidates 2nd place in the table, but it's true I'm afraid.”

My thoughts exactly.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:28 - Jan 16 with 839 viewsDr_Winston

Wouldn't disagree.

You got the sense under Rodgers that our style of play could be adapated and enhanced to achieve survival. Cooperball thus far seems geared to little more than getting enough points to go up.

It's possible that in the event of promotion he can rejig things enough to win survival in 2021/22 tho.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:28 - Jan 16 with 839 viewsThornburyswan

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:48 - Jan 16 by swancity

Averagely ?

I understand your point but that was a 10 out of 10 defensive and goalkeeping performance. It was a thoroughly professional calculated effort throughout albeit for the neutral a poor quality game and 4 out of 10 for entertainment value.

Fair points & I wasn’t complaining, if anything tough conditions & workman like opponents suit us as we have a very strong back line, central midfielders who know their roles & can stay on point very effectively plus Mr Lowe is a real threat in his current run of form.

It will be interesting to see how we manage against more attacking/skilled sides - Blackburn as a starter for 10 but I’m thinking more about Norwich, Brentford & Bournemouth.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:32 - Jan 16 with 821 viewsCatullus

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:17 - Jan 16 by jackrabbit

Excellent post on SCFC2. Trust the poster won’t mind me repeating most of it here:

“ Good win.

Table looking healthy.

But would be so much better if I could love my team rather than merely respect them.

I'm not budging one bit from what I said a few weeks ago - if we get promoted playing like this, we'll be straight back down at a rate of knots.

If you can't retain the ball at Barnsley in the second tier, then you're going to be mincemeat most weeks in the top flight.

Sorry if that offends people or you don't want to hear it after a win that consolidates 2nd place in the table, but it's true I'm afraid.”

My thoughts exactly.

Some of the EPL games haven't been so pretty this season but I'd expect us to do a "Cardiff" anyway, as in not spend much, not increase the wage bill much and see what happens. That would be get relegated, probably, and take the money and go again, trying to build slowly.

On the game itself, it wasn't a night for great football but we worked very hard, we defended very well from front to back, Woodman made a great save and whether or not Lowe was actually offside, he worked very hard, didn't give up and took his one real chance very well.

What's not to like? As others have said (well Trunds on sky) last season we may well have lost that because we could do pretty but we couldn't win battles. We're a different animal this season, we can play AND we can fight.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:33 - Jan 16 with 819 viewsChief

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:17 - Jan 16 by jackrabbit

“ Good win.

Table looking healthy.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't hugely disagree, but what's the alternative? Pass thr ball more and lose games which could easily have happened tonight. Our choice to play the way we did paid off.

We do play good football when appropriate - see Reading and Watford. Its horses for courses. No team ever got promoted by playing beautiful football every game they won.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:44 - Jan 16 with 786 viewsHighjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:07 - Jan 16 by felixstowe_jack

Dickie Head more like.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024