Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS 18:46 - Jan 12 with 9748 viewsNotLoyal

Barnsley v Swansea City
Saturday 16th January 2021
Oakwell
Kick off 7.45 pm

How can I watch the game ?

Watch the game LIVE on Sky Sports

Match officials
Jeremy Simpson will be the man in the middle when Swansea City travel to face Barnsley in the Championship on Saturday (7.45pm). Here we see him protesting to a shopkeeper after being accused of stealing five fruit salad chews. Later it was revealed it wasn’t him but his wife Mrs Simpson who now lives with a bloke called Edward.

Nothing to do with me guv, Jeremy reiterating he doesn’t like fruit salad chews

History
Apart from the play offs penalty shoot out in 2006, in front of 37,418 Swansea City fans in Cardiff - Barnsley haven’t beaten Swansea in Fifteen games stretching back to November 1983. Barnsley won that day 3-2. The last time the clubs met was at the Liberty only 29 days prior to this reverse fixture, the swans won 2-0 with Jamal Lowe scoring after two minutes. You could say the swans gave Barnsley a walkabout that day.

Dickies Bird
Famous white coat, butcher lookalike apron wearing Richard Bird is a native of Barnsley, he is a British nationalist who is a huge supporter of the Union of Britain. He once headed a group of 200 people asking Scotland to remain British before the Scotland devolution vote. Harold Dennis Bird would have been proud had he not been the same person. Dickie never married using the excuse he was married to cricket. Now at the age of 109 and locked down in the Oval with only his dodgy wrist and a potato peeler Dickie may well be having second thoughts.

Dickie giving it the finger, not once has he visited a ladies part with that digit

A Barnsley did you know ?
Did you know that the World famous Arctic Monkeys studied at Barnsley College? As did the 1990s band The Darkness. The heavy metal band Saxon started their rock carrier playing in the local pubs of Barnsley before hitting the big time and becoming one of the most famous bands in the world. Black comedian Charlie Williams (1928—2006) was born in Barnsley, he was an ex-professional footballer and stand-up genius. Harry Worth (1917—1989), actor, comedian and ventriloquist was also from Barnsley, wore a hat and did odd things in shop windows, invented the fart.

Barnsley were once likened by their fans as ‘just like watching Brasil’ This was when they were in the premier league. Alan Brazil, the overweight and indulgent Talk Sport host is a larger than life beetroot. Just for the record.

Beetroot facial Alan - in Dundee with his bare feet conundrum

Coronation Street is filmed in the dales of Yorkshire, when it was called Emmerdale Farm people used to go and watch episodes being filmed, it was always very blustery and windy hence the term ‘Blowing a Gail’ This term was often used by people watching the filming.

Just look at her face, Gail realising the weather is taking a turn

Barnsley latest
It could also be the first chance to see new signings Liam Kitching and Carlton Morris. Both recruits were cup-tied last weekend but could well be in contention for the visit of Swansea on Saturday evening.

Key Threat

Woodrow has been a consistent scorer for Barnsley ever since joining from Fulham, and it has proved the case again this term with the striker having 10 goals in all competitions, while also weighing in with four assists. Captain Mowatt has chipped in with four goals from midfield, plus two assists, while the lovely Conor Chaplin also carries a threat in the final third. Wing-back Callum Styles, meanwhile, has excelled after making his breakthrough following lockdown last year.

Team news

Barnsley: Jack Walton, Callum Styles, Mads Andersen, Callum Brittain, Herbie Kane, Cauley Woodrow, Conor Chaplin, Michael Sollbauer, Alex Mowatt (captain), Victor Adeboyejo, Michal Helik.

Substitutes: Carlton Morris, Luke Thomas, Patrick Schmidt, Tom Sibbick, Romal Palmer, Clarke Oduor, Dominik Frieser, Jasper Moon, Ben Collins.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi; Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew.

Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Ryan Manning, Wayne Routledge, Liam Cullen, Yan Dhanda, Joel Latibeaudiere, George Byers, Oli Cooper, Jordon Garrick.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Kyle Naughton - having returned from a side strain against Stevenage in the FA Cup - starts a league game for the first time since the defeat at Derby before Christmas.

He comes in at the expense of Ryan Manning in the only change to the side that started that victory over the Hornets.

New signing Ben Hamer is named among the substitutes following his move from Huddersfield.

Freddie Woodman starts in goal, with Naughton joining Marc Guehi and Ben Cabango in the Swans back three.

Connor Roberts and Jake Bidwell take the wing-back roles, while Korey Smith, captain Matt Grimes and Jay Fulton will once again form the midfield unit.

In-form forwards Jamal Lowe and Andre Ayew are partnered together in attack, while Joel Latibeaudiere is fit enough for a place on the bench after recovering from a calf injury.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:55 - Jan 16 with 1346 viewsKeithHaynes

The Yorkshire post match report.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-0-swansea-city-2-barnsle

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 23:04 - Jan 16 with 1320 viewsAndyCole

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:28 - Jan 16 by Dr_Winston

Wouldn't disagree.

You got the sense under Rodgers that our style of play could be adapated and enhanced to achieve survival. Cooperball thus far seems geared to little more than getting enough points to go up.

It's possible that in the event of promotion he can rejig things enough to win survival in 2021/22 tho.

Agreed. But:

Rodgers is a proven top tier canny manager.

Cooper is a relative unknown and imo currently punching way above his weight,
under the radar. Clever.

Boxing clever. Which is why he appeals to many swans fans, adept at boxing clever , under the radar. It's in our dna.

The best bit : he's doing it with understated, confident dignity. Almost like he's on a 5 year plan and is executing it, regardless. Surgically, unemotionally delivering.

A rare talent. Top 2 inches material, no doubt.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 23:15 - Jan 16 with 1281 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:32 - Jan 16 by Catullus

Some of the EPL games haven't been so pretty this season but I'd expect us to do a "Cardiff" anyway, as in not spend much, not increase the wage bill much and see what happens. That would be get relegated, probably, and take the money and go again, trying to build slowly.

On the game itself, it wasn't a night for great football but we worked very hard, we defended very well from front to back, Woodman made a great save and whether or not Lowe was actually offside, he worked very hard, didn't give up and took his one real chance very well.

What's not to like? As others have said (well Trunds on sky) last season we may well have lost that because we could do pretty but we couldn't win battles. We're a different animal this season, we can play AND we can fight.

It’s un - Swansea like that we’re so dogged from 1-11. Willing to mix it physically too. When was the last time one our teams had such gritty qualities?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 23:19 - Jan 16 with 1276 viewsTenbySwan

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:01 - Jan 16 by Flashberryjack

Who were the commentators ?

Not sure who the sky bloke was, they are all as bad as each other.

The "expert" was Lee Hendrie who gives the impression that he must have been a hell of a player. Something to say about everything and just doesn't know when to shut up.
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 23:51 - Jan 16 with 1226 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 23:04 - Jan 16 by AndyCole

Agreed. But:

Rodgers is a proven top tier canny manager.

Cooper is a relative unknown and imo currently punching way above his weight,
under the radar. Clever.

Boxing clever. Which is why he appeals to many swans fans, adept at boxing clever , under the radar. It's in our dna.

The best bit : he's doing it with understated, confident dignity. Almost like he's on a 5 year plan and is executing it, regardless. Surgically, unemotionally delivering.

A rare talent. Top 2 inches material, no doubt.

Like Stalin. But without the deaths

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 00:15 - Jan 17 with 1199 viewsswancity

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:17 - Jan 16 by jackrabbit

Excellent post on SCFC2. Trust the poster won’t mind me repeating most of it here:

“ Good win.

Table looking healthy.

But would be so much better if I could love my team rather than merely respect them.

I'm not budging one bit from what I said a few weeks ago - if we get promoted playing like this, we'll be straight back down at a rate of knots.

If you can't retain the ball at Barnsley in the second tier, then you're going to be mincemeat most weeks in the top flight.

Sorry if that offends people or you don't want to hear it after a win that consolidates 2nd place in the table, but it's true I'm afraid.”

My thoughts exactly.

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 01:10 - Jan 17 with 1172 viewsKeithHaynes

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 00:15 - Jan 17 by swancity

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

I think the scfc2 poster is jumping ahead a bit there. Trying to predict the state, health and make up of the club if tha ever happens is daft.

Teams evolve, like coopers team over time, it has got better and is dealing with what it has to deal with, to start comparing the players from the win at Barnsley to a possible side in the premier league in ( whenever ) ten months or so is pointless. Sometimes supporters astonish me at any club, but this one seems to have a decent number of people who continually drain the positives to the extent they are just making general noises that make no sense.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 08:52 - Jan 17 with 1067 viewsraynor94

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 01:10 - Jan 17 by KeithHaynes

I think the scfc2 poster is jumping ahead a bit there. Trying to predict the state, health and make up of the club if tha ever happens is daft.

Teams evolve, like coopers team over time, it has got better and is dealing with what it has to deal with, to start comparing the players from the win at Barnsley to a possible side in the premier league in ( whenever ) ten months or so is pointless. Sometimes supporters astonish me at any club, but this one seems to have a decent number of people who continually drain the positives to the extent they are just making general noises that make no sense.

Great post, so true

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 09:46 - Jan 17 with 1027 viewsjohnlangy

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 01:10 - Jan 17 by KeithHaynes

Correct Keith.

He said this: 'I'm not budging one bit from what I said a few weeks ago - if we get promoted playing like this, we'll be straight back down at a rate of knots.'

If we get promoted playing like last night there'll be a number of changes to the team for the PL. If the plan in any game is to play like last night better players will be able to execute the plan better. And he has been very good at mixing and matching the playing plan for different games where we don't play like last night. That's been one of the huge plus points this season.

The fact is the manager and the team are doing a brilliant job. Let's concentrate on this season and think about next season when it comes whether in the PL or not..
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 10:03 - Jan 17 with 1006 viewsvetchonian

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 22:28 - Jan 16 by Thornburyswan

Fair points & I wasn’t complaining, if anything tough conditions & workman like opponents suit us as we have a very strong back line, central midfielders who know their roles & can stay on point very effectively plus Mr Lowe is a real threat in his current run of form.

It will be interesting to see how we manage against more attacking/skilled sides - Blackburn as a starter for 10 but I’m thinking more about Norwich, Brentford & Bournemouth.

Well we drew at home to Bournemouth kept another clean sheet and did not have our first choice back 3 as Bennett and Geuhi missing....Cooper also played Dhanda.

I see Cooper who looks more at the opposition and sets us out to get what we need to do to get the result rather tganbrge Bielsa/Martinez approach

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 12:10 - Jan 17 with 925 viewsonehunglow

And let us as a fan base simp,y avoid the abusive narrative .

Players have always been questioned,managers too. It is not personal..

The club is all.

I don’t care who plays for us but nothing but the best for me,

Cooper is evolving although he still puzzles me by not subbing players to save them when the game is won effectively.Last night another example.

Jamal was incredible and we need to avoid flogging him to death.

Biggest issue should be giving cabango a very long term contract. He is already better that JR and is going to be a 100 cap player ,all being well.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 12:37 - Jan 17 with 914 viewsBadlands

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 12:10 - Jan 17 by onehunglow

And let us as a fan base simp,y avoid the abusive narrative .

Players have always been questioned,managers too. It is not personal..

The club is all.

I don’t care who plays for us but nothing but the best for me,

Cooper is evolving although he still puzzles me by not subbing players to save them when the game is won effectively.Last night another example.

Jamal was incredible and we need to avoid flogging him to death.

Biggest issue should be giving cabango a very long term contract. He is already better that JR and is going to be a 100 cap player ,all being well.

Excllent post.
100% with you on Cabango, apart from one slip he didn't put a foot wrong last night. Since he arrived he's shown natural leadership, it's not arrogance or cockiness it's just in him. His age is no longer being mentioned as he plays and acts like a seasoned pro. Unlike Rodon he doesn't get bullied and he scores goals.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 13:26 - Jan 17 with 868 viewsswancity

That’s a good summary Keith 👍

It sums up the negative mentality of many football fans, and many with plenty to say on the subject of football have little or no idea what they’re talking about. One hung low being a good example.

Bit like life in general I suppose. How often is the biggest mouth in a pub knowledgeable? Not too often.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 13:32 - Jan 17 with 867 viewsKeithHaynes

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 13:26 - Jan 17 by swancity

That’s a good summary Keith 👍

It sums up the negative mentality of many football fans, and many with plenty to say on the subject of football have little or no idea what they’re talking about. One hung low being a good example.

Bit like life in general I suppose. How often is the biggest mouth in a pub knowledgeable? Not too often.

Travelling back from the Bradford demolition at Wembley one guy said to me that as long as we buy overated players like Michu we will never win the champions league. The frightening this was most on the train back to Denham agreed.

I started drinking earlier than planned after that.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 13:33 - Jan 17 with 863 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 12:37 - Jan 17 by Badlands

Excllent post.
100% with you on Cabango, apart from one slip he didn't put a foot wrong last night. Since he arrived he's shown natural leadership, it's not arrogance or cockiness it's just in him. His age is no longer being mentioned as he plays and acts like a seasoned pro. Unlike Rodon he doesn't get bullied and he scores goals.

IMO,he could be our bet ever CH eclipsing Ante.

He is quicker and ha an eye for goal too.

A must do for our Owners.They are sitting on a goldmine here.

I just pray the filth that is the likes of Tottenham Hotspur do not again come in with derisory bids.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 15:29 - Jan 17 with 826 viewstheloneranger

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 13:33 - Jan 17 by onehunglow

IMO,he could be our bet ever CH eclipsing Ante.

He is quicker and ha an eye for goal too.

A must do for our Owners.They are sitting on a goldmine here.

I just pray the filth that is the likes of Tottenham Hotspur do not again come in with derisory bids.

Ben's a wonderful prospect, but he's got a million miles to go before he's got any chance of lacing Ante's boots!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 15:52 - Jan 17 with 811 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 15:29 - Jan 17 by theloneranger

Ben's a wonderful prospect, but he's got a million miles to go before he's got any chance of lacing Ante's boots!

We or rather I am talking future when he matures.

Ante was with us for how long..?

This boy can play at the top for many many years,so I disagree ,with respect.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 16:58 - Jan 17 with 766 viewsangryjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 15:52 - Jan 17 by onehunglow

We or rather I am talking future when he matures.

Ante was with us for how long..?

This boy can play at the top for many many years,so I disagree ,with respect.

Got to disagree with you Ben is nowhere near ante class.not even near Ryan Bennet class
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 17:48 - Jan 17 with 734 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 16:58 - Jan 17 by angryjack

Got to disagree with you Ben is nowhere near ante class.not even near Ryan Bennet class

and that is fine but he will be.I just hope he is still with us when he is

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 17:51 - Jan 17 with 734 viewsangryjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 17:48 - Jan 17 by onehunglow

and that is fine but he will be.I just hope he is still with us when he is

I think k he's a good player but needed improve on his composure on the ball and his passing if he ever wants play top level
Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 17:56 - Jan 17 with 730 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 17:51 - Jan 17 by angryjack

I think k he's a good player but needed improve on his composure on the ball and his passing if he ever wants play top level

He is and he will.

He has a better eye for goal than Ante.

I loved the Yugo lads btw

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 19:06 - Jan 17 with 709 viewsFlashberryjack

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 15:29 - Jan 17 by theloneranger

Absolutely.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 20:48 - Jan 17 with 675 viewsbritferry

its confusing as hell when the opposition have a player called Brittain

Especially as we all know, theres only one Britton!!!

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:19 - Jan 17 with 652 viewsDr_Winston

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 20:48 - Jan 17 by britferry

its confusing as hell when the opposition have a player called Brittain

Especially as we all know, theres only one Britton!!!

Did he ever score for us again?

Not a bad way to hang up his shooting boots if not.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:53 - Jan 17 with 631 viewsbritferry

Barnsley v Swansea City : Matchday Thread Sat Jan 16th 2021 TEAM NEWS on 21:19 - Jan 17 by Dr_Winston

Did he ever score for us again?

Not a bad way to hang up his shooting boots if not.

No, that was his last

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024