Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s time 20:57 - Mar 2 with 7105 viewsoddjob007

No spark or creativity on the pitch or sidelines (Humphrys tries... too hard)

Baah looks like a completely different player in just a few months - very ordinary.

Key players missing but we persist with this style of football that just doesn’t work for this set of players. There is no plan B. We’ve got 8/9 very defence minded players who started this game and these tactics don’t work.

We haven’t scored a goal or won a game for god knows how long.

The players look dejected and just going through the motions.

We aren’t out of it yet, but if we are serious about staying in this division we need to make a change now, a big personality, lift the players and simplify the football. Squeeze out a few 1-0s and stay up.

I really hate to say it, because he really is a lovely bloke and he’s trying to do things the right way... but it’s not working and he can’t see it.... BBM out.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 20:58]
It’s time on 21:09 - Mar 2 with 5241 viewsStupot

Totally agree. It's excruciating to watch.
It’s time on 21:15 - Mar 2 with 5158 viewspioneer

Stevie Wonder could see its not working...so I dont belive he cant.

If he thought his position was at risk his eyesight might improve.
It’s time on 21:38 - Mar 2 with 5038 viewsinthenet

It’s time on 21:09 - Mar 2 by Stupot

Totally agree. It's excruciating to watch.

This is getting beyond a joke now utter crap !!

Rastrickblue

It’s time (n/t) on 21:51 - Mar 2 with 4945 viewsmattydinho

BBM could lose 10 nil to bloody Alfreton town and try and justify that we were just unlucky, no clue
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 21:53]

Poll: BBM

It’s time (n/t) on 21:56 - Mar 2 with 4892 viewskel

It’s time (n/t) on 21:51 - Mar 2 by mattydinho

BBM could lose 10 nil to bloody Alfreton town and try and justify that we were just unlucky, no clue
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 21:53]

If only we’d signed Eero Markkanen
It’s time on 10:53 - Mar 3 with 4346 viewsBucketBstard

Did you not hear Dougal's post match interview?
We were good and if we keep playing like that over and over and over again , we will be much better.
Cue to scene in a windy caravan
" Lets try this again Dougal this is small.....that is far away"
He has about the same perception of tactics as Father Dougal. :-(
It’s time on 11:04 - Mar 3 with 4303 viewsJames1980

As I have said before. A champagne football philosophy on a lager budget is going to be very difficult to achieve.
Unfortunately the football is a now akin to tepid flat non alcoholic lager.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

It’s time on 11:07 - Mar 3 with 4275 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 11:04 - Mar 3 by James1980

As I have said before. A champagne football philosophy on a lager budget is going to be very difficult to achieve.
Unfortunately the football is a now akin to tepid flat non alcoholic lager.

Who's asking for champagne football, James? You've made that up.

Better football would be a start and maybe a smidgen of entertainment.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

It’s time on 11:38 - Mar 3 with 4218 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 11:07 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

Did I imagine reading in an interview with BBM. Him talking about Hill getting dewy eyed (not a direct quote) whilst watching Barcelona and wanting to emulate their style of play. 'Kill teams with possession' I believe was the phrase. Yes I know Hill isn't the manager but hasn't BBM picked up the pretty passing football baton hence in the past getting the nickname Irish Pep. I don't mean you or I or anyone on here expects champagne football. But trying to 'kill teams with possession' trying to emulate Man City or Barcelona in league one with the resources at our disposal is going to be difficult.

It’s time on 11:41 - Mar 3 with 4201 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 11:38 - Mar 3 by James1980

Did I imagine reading in an interview with BBM. Him talking about Hill getting dewy eyed (not a direct quote) whilst watching Barcelona and wanting to emulate their style of play. 'Kill teams with possession' I believe was the phrase. Yes I know Hill isn't the manager but hasn't BBM picked up the pretty passing football baton hence in the past getting the nickname Irish Pep. I don't mean you or I or anyone on here expects champagne football. But trying to 'kill teams with possession' trying to emulate Man City or Barcelona in league one with the resources at our disposal is going to be difficult.

You'll have to find the link to that, James, because I've no recollection of it.

Teams can still be good in possession, create plenty of chances and score lots of goals. Our 2007/08 team was very good at it.

Trying to compare anyone to Pep or Manchester City is complete nonsense.

It’s time on 11:49 - Mar 3 with 4192 viewsAtThePeake

It’s time on 11:07 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

I'm not even fussed about the entertainment element at this point of the season, a few more wins would do me.

Tangled up in blue.

It’s time on 11:53 - Mar 3 with 4174 viewsToffeemanc

It’s time on 11:38 - Mar 3 by James1980

The only team we are killing with possession is ourselves.
When we have it we don't seem to know what to do with it, and our inability to keep it effectively usually means it creates more chances for our opponents than ourselves.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

It’s time on 11:54 - Mar 3 with 4165 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 11:41 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

You'll have to find the link to that, James, because I've no recollection of it.

Teams can still be good in possession, create plenty of chances and score lots of goals. Our 2007/08 team was very good at it.

Trying to compare anyone to Pep or Manchester City is complete nonsense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-30915

It’s time on 12:03 - Mar 3 with 4130 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 11:49 - Mar 3 by AtThePeake

I'm not even fussed about the entertainment element at this point of the season, a few more wins would do me.

Yes, agree with that, but I was meaning taking the season as a whole.

It's gone beyond that now, though.

It’s time on 12:05 - Mar 3 with 4123 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 11:54 - Mar 3 by James1980

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-30915

Blimey, James, that's two years old and refers to a conversation from 2010!

It’s time on 12:07 - Mar 3 with 4124 viewsD_Alien

It’s time on 11:53 - Mar 3 by Toffeemanc

The only team we are killing with possession is ourselves.
When we have it we don't seem to know what to do with it, and our inability to keep it effectively usually means it creates more chances for our opponents than ourselves.

And that sums up very precisely what we've all known for some time

The players know it too; i'd go so far as to say they're embarrassed by it, and it's beginning to show in our disciplinary record; almost as if they'd rather just lash out and be done with it - with a few games respite

The young loanees just won't have built up enough psychological resilience to cope with it; the older pros must be sick to death of having to keep trying to carry them along and the manager tells them they're brilliant, treating them like children who can't be seen to fail and must be given prizes. (As an aside, what we're witnessing is perhaps a direct result of that culture)

IT'S BOLLOX BBM

We know it, the players know it, YOU know it

For god's sake Board, get rid NOW. As fans, we're holding you to account on this and the reckoning will come when you dare to mention season cards

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

It’s time on 12:24 - Mar 3 with 4058 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 21:38 - Mar 2 by inthenet

This is getting beyond a joke now utter crap !!

Not your comment btw ITN or anyone else's I hasten to add.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 12:25]

It’s time on 12:33 - Mar 3 with 4002 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 12:05 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

Blimey, James, that's two years old and refers to a conversation from 2010!

This is true TVOS but it goes back to a root of the problem. Whilst the whole possession based thing can work very well and give fans lots to cheer. The issue is sustainability due to financial constraints meaning having to sell or let players leave for free and break up a successful squad. Yes I know all teams have that problem but others won't find it as tricky to find replacements.

It’s time on 12:49 - Mar 3 with 3932 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 12:33 - Mar 3 by James1980

This is true TVOS but it goes back to a root of the problem. Whilst the whole possession based thing can work very well and give fans lots to cheer. The issue is sustainability due to financial constraints meaning having to sell or let players leave for free and break up a successful squad. Yes I know all teams have that problem but others won't find it as tricky to find replacements.

The possession based thing can work and give fans lots to cheer if you've got the players to do it.

Unfortunately, it's not really something that's going to work as intended below the top level, a la Barca and Man City.

I'm not sure how it connects to the rest of your post, except you still seem to be looking for as many reasons as possible for our current malaise beyond the obvious.

It’s time on 13:12 - Mar 3 with 3866 viewsdawlishdale

It’s time on 12:49 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

The possession based thing can work and give fans lots to cheer if you've got the players to do it.

Unfortunately, it's not really something that's going to work as intended below the top level, a la Barca and Man City.

I'm not sure how it connects to the rest of your post, except you still seem to be looking for as many reasons as possible for our current malaise beyond the obvious.

I'm sure we were referred to as the Barca of L1 in the media as recently as August 2019 when we scored the first goal in the 3-0 win at Southend following a brilliant passing move.

it was either Barca or Brazil. and it could be why BBM insists on trying to play the pass pass pass game that we are no good at today.
It’s time on 13:15 - Mar 3 with 3844 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 13:12 - Mar 3 by dawlishdale

I'm sure we were referred to as the Barca of L1 in the media as recently as August 2019 when we scored the first goal in the 3-0 win at Southend following a brilliant passing move.

it was either Barca or Brazil. and it could be why BBM insists on trying to play the pass pass pass game that we are no good at today.

Of course, yes, remember that now.

It feels like a long time ago.

It’s time on 13:43 - Mar 3 with 3775 viewskel

If pubs were still open would BBM have lost the Green Room by now?

#clique
It’s time on 06:45 - Mar 4 with 3047 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 12:49 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

Yes absolutely as we have seen in the past. But keeping together a successful squad is difficult as is getting decent replacements for players who move on, due to financial constraints.

I agree, because unless a club the resources at its disposal. It will be difficult to maintain that footballing philosophy through all levels. That's not to say in can't be incorporated in part.

To your final point, I know I'm an outsider on this matter (no not that I'm not from round those parts) I am of the opinion that the current malaise is caused by a myriad of reasons. One of those being a footballing philosophy that is difficult to maintain long term with the resources at our disposal. I disagree with the notion that our malaise is like a monster that BBM is the head of and by cutting that off said malaise will disappear.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 11:53]

It’s time on 11:40 - Mar 4 with 2844 viewsTVOS1907

It’s time on 06:45 - Mar 4 by James1980

Yes absolutely as we have seen in the past. But keeping together a successful squad is difficult as is getting decent replacements for players who move on, due to financial constraints.

I agree, because unless a club the resources at its disposal. It will be difficult to maintain that footballing philosophy through all levels. That's not to say in can't be incorporated in part.

To your final point, I know I'm an outsider on this matter (no not that I'm not from round those parts) I am of the opinion that the current malaise is caused by a myriad of reasons. One of those being a footballing philosophy that is difficult to maintain long term with the resources at our disposal. I disagree with the notion that our malaise is like a monster that BBM is the head of and by cutting that off said malaise will disappear.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 11:53]

"I disagree with the notion that our malaise is like a monster that BBM is the head of and by cutting that off said malaise will disappear."

Where have you got that odd, over-exaggerated interpretation from, James? Stop over-thinking things!!

It's really very simple.

This so-called philosophy seems to be based on patient, possession-based football. Unfortunately, results have shown that it doesn't work, provides little in the way of entertainment and even less in the way of results.

In my opinion, this way of playing isn't really suitable for the level we play at, nor for the skills sets of players at our level and certainly not for some of those in our squad.

So, something clearly isn't working and it's up to those involved to identify what it is and at least try to get it working. There seems to be no inclination to acknowledge or do that at the moment.

That our form and results have got worse and worse in recent weeks only exacerbates the problems.

So, if we have 'a footballing philosophy that is difficult to maintain long term with the resources at our disposal', maybe the philosophy is wrong.

As a lot of people have mentioned, what are someone like Accrington doing that we aren't? Admittedly it's from highlights only, but they seem to be a more aggressive, direct positive side than we are and they're getting the results.

They have also recruited players from non-league and loans from higher divisions, all of whom seem to make more of a positive impact than ours.

Will they maintain it? Who knows, but they'll certainly be playing in League One next season.

Staying in League One is difficult for a small club like ourselves, as history shows, but at the moment we appear to be sleep-walking to relegation with no intention to halt the slide, so something has to change before it's too late.

And too late could be in a fortnight when, looking at our fixtures, we could realistically be at least 10 points from safety.

It’s time on 13:05 - Mar 4 with 2670 viewsJames1980

It’s time on 11:40 - Mar 4 by TVOS1907

"I disagree with the notion that our malaise is like a monster that BBM is the head of and by cutting that off said malaise will disappear."

Where have you got that odd, over-exaggerated interpretation from, James? Stop over-thinking things!!

It's really very simple.

This so-called philosophy seems to be based on patient, possession-based football. Unfortunately, results have shown that it doesn't work, provides little in the way of entertainment and even less in the way of results.

In my opinion, this way of playing isn't really suitable for the level we play at, nor for the skills sets of players at our level and certainly not for some of those in our squad.

So, something clearly isn't working and it's up to those involved to identify what it is and at least try to get it working. There seems to be no inclination to acknowledge or do that at the moment.

That our form and results have got worse and worse in recent weeks only exacerbates the problems.

So, if we have 'a footballing philosophy that is difficult to maintain long term with the resources at our disposal', maybe the philosophy is wrong.

As a lot of people have mentioned, what are someone like Accrington doing that we aren't? Admittedly it's from highlights only, but they seem to be a more aggressive, direct positive side than we are and they're getting the results.

They have also recruited players from non-league and loans from higher divisions, all of whom seem to make more of a positive impact than ours.

Will they maintain it? Who knows, but they'll certainly be playing in League One next season.

Staying in League One is difficult for a small club like ourselves, as history shows, but at the moment we appear to be sleep-walking to relegation with no intention to halt the slide, so something has to change before it's too late.

And too late could be in a fortnight when, looking at our fixtures, we could realistically be at least 10 points from safety.

Can't disagree with any of that not that I would want to of course. Perhaps I've wrongly got the impression that a the consensus of opinion is a change of manager will be the answer to all our footballing prayers.

Anyway I have found the solution its the Metodo 2 3 2 3 formation not sure who plays the inside forward roles though.
Baah Humps Newby
Possibly Done Morley
LBfill in O'Connell Mclaughlin
Any 2 from the remaining CBs.

I reckon that could work you know.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024