Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frank Worthington RIP 09:07 - Mar 23 with 7218 viewsMrSheen

Elvis has left the building.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/23/frank-worthington-former-englan
Frank Worthington RIP on 14:36 - Mar 23 with 1636 views2Thomas2Bowles

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:29 - Mar 23 by dutch

Why did the 70's produce so many players in the marvellous maverick mould, many of whom played for us of course? Long hair, devil may care working class entertainers who's joy with a ball at their feet was contagious and who's attitude was mad, bad and dangerous. Was its simply a reflection of the buccaneering times, ruined by increasing professionalism and excess money?

RIP Frank, the greatest Elvis ever.

They would all be called Lazy now days

That was also true back then. calling them lazy
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 15:07]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:54 - Mar 23 with 1604 viewsCamberleyR

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:36 - Mar 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

They would all be called Lazy now days

That was also true back then. calling them lazy
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 15:07]

They probably were then as well, probably why none of those mavericks ever played much international football.

RIP to a fantastic entertainer.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:58 - Mar 23 with 1589 viewsFredManRave

Frank Worthington RIP on 13:29 - Mar 23 by enfieldargh

Never forget that goal. I always looked forward to playing whoever he was playing for as like our Stan he was pure magic to watch.

Never got picked up by the big boys always in middle of the road style clubs usually oop north.

RIP Elvis

Frank Worthington signing for Liverpool in 1972 with Bill Shankly (left), assistant Bob Paisley (centre) and club secretary Peter Robinson (right), before the deal collapsed

Who knew?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Frank Worthington RIP on 15:21 - Mar 23 with 1551 views2Thomas2Bowles

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:58 - Mar 23 by FredManRave

Frank Worthington signing for Liverpool in 1972 with Bill Shankly (left), assistant Bob Paisley (centre) and club secretary Peter Robinson (right), before the deal collapsed

Who knew?!

The officiel reason was high blood pressure

Think that was in the girls...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Frank Worthington RIP on 15:46 - Mar 23 with 1524 viewsdezzar

RIP Frank great entertainer , he played for Sunderland in the eighties for a short time.My mate spotted him in a Newcastle nightclub , blonde in tow and wearing a white suit.
Frank Worthington RIP on 16:28 - Mar 23 with 1484 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:58 - Mar 23 by FredManRave

Who knew?!

Long the stuff of legends that the alleged real reason was a dose of the

These guys in the 70s were characters to a man. Compare with today’s over-hyped and over-indulged players managed to maximise sponsorship deals, who are as dull as dishwater.

RIP Elvis

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Frank Worthington RIP on 16:34 - Mar 23 with 1470 viewsextratimeR

A great player and entertainer, like all the other truly skilful giants, Stan, Hudson, etc hardly got a look in for England, (apart from Gerry!).
Frank Worthington RIP on 17:00 - Mar 23 with 1447 viewsqprphil

A player you would gladly pay to see play. Seen him many times, mostly for Leicester RIP Frank.
Login to get fewer ads

Frank Worthington RIP on 17:07 - Mar 23 with 1435 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A very silky player who was undervalued by England. RIP Frank.
Frank Worthington RIP on 17:17 - Mar 23 with 1420 viewsGuppy

Frank Worthington RIP on 14:29 - Mar 23 by dutch

Why did the 70's produce so many players in the marvellous maverick mould, many of whom played for us of course? Long hair, devil may care working class entertainers who's joy with a ball at their feet was contagious and who's attitude was mad, bad and dangerous. Was its simply a reflection of the buccaneering times, ruined by increasing professionalism and excess money?

RIP Frank, the greatest Elvis ever.

Its a shame they didnt have a game between a mavericks eleven and the England team at the time
Great player
Frank Worthington RIP on 17:27 - Mar 23 with 1401 viewsjohncharles

Not many players I would mention in the same breath as Stanley. Phenomenal skill, disregard for authority and a sense of mischief.
RIP Elvis
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 17:30]

Strong and stable my arse.

Frank Worthington RIP on 17:43 - Mar 23 with 1382 viewssimmo

Before my time as a player but seen and heard a lot in the mould of Stan, Best and other such mercurial local heroes. His autobiography title probably tells you everything you need to know

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Frank Worthington RIP on 18:39 - Mar 23 with 1306 viewswestberksr

one of a supremely talented bunch of maverick playmakers in the 70's; a glorious era for that style of player

RIP
Frank Worthington RIP on 19:33 - Mar 23 with 1274 viewswelwynranger

Frank Worthington RIP on 09:11 - Mar 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Just seen this on the TV

Wonderful player, I'll always remember a goal he scored at LR from the halfway line for Bolton.

Sadly it was not filmed

R I P
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 9:18]

I remember that.
The weather had been awful all week.
The pitch was a quagmire.
These days it would have been called off.
He was the only player on the pitch who mastered the conditions..
We lost 3-1.
I think Harkouk scored.
Frank Worthington RIP on 19:38 - Mar 23 with 1268 viewsdezzar

At Leicester he was told to relax , so he went to Magaluf for 2 weeks holiday,with George Best . He met his future wife a former miss Sweden there . Class
Frank Worthington RIP on 22:10 - Mar 23 with 1192 viewsMyke

Frank Worthington RIP on 18:39 - Mar 23 by westberksr

one of a supremely talented bunch of maverick playmakers in the 70's; a glorious era for that style of player

RIP

Was it though? Think of the paddy fields of pitches and the borderline gbh tackles? Just imagine, Worthington, Bowles, Best et al today, on the billiard pitches and virtual non-contact sport. They would be unplayable. There are so few genuinely skillful players any more. Athleticism is king.
Frank Worthington RIP on 23:19 - Mar 23 with 1161 viewsdixiedean

Frank Worthington RIP on 12:01 - Mar 23 by Esox_Lucius

The last time I saw him play was after a fruitless attempt to watch Sheff Weds vs QPR with my brothers which was called off for an icy pitch when we were somewhere in Nottingham before midday, after listening to the radio for which games were still on we headed to Mansfield which was called off on the way, then Doncaster, also called off as we headed there, and we eventually gave up and headed back to London. Heading along the M1 we heard that the Orient vs Stockport County game was still on so we headed there and arrived in time for kick off. As soon as the game stated I noticed that Frank was playing for Stockport County and was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. He definitely would have been a great QPR player and that is the highest praise. RIP Frank.

I was at that game too . I went specifically to see Frank. A wonderful maverick of whom there were so many in that era . He’d have been a worthy wearer of our No 10 shirt. RIP
Frank Worthington RIP on 00:20 - Mar 24 with 1135 viewsBoston

Saw Frank Worthington play many times, he was brilliant.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Frank Worthington RIP on 22:03 - Mar 24 with 1002 viewswestberksr

Frank Worthington RIP on 22:10 - Mar 23 by Myke

Was it though? Think of the paddy fields of pitches and the borderline gbh tackles? Just imagine, Worthington, Bowles, Best et al today, on the billiard pitches and virtual non-contact sport. They would be unplayable. There are so few genuinely skillful players any more. Athleticism is king.

more that it was a period with plentiful supply and they were embraced by the fans too.

I get your point and the pitches today wouldhave suited them as would the refs & rules, but how many of these lunatics would have complied with the off field rules and regimes?

Many may not have even seen the light of day and may have never made the grade just because they wouldn't fit in to the stereotype academy product; Eze being a good example of one that nearly slipped through the net and he is no bother at all.

bunch of lazy overpaid fancy dans when compared to the typical 5'11" middleweight physique athletes coming through everywhere else.

It would be nice to think they could have graced our pitches with suitable protection and flourished but we'll never know
Frank Worthington RIP on 00:04 - Mar 25 with 961 viewsMyke

Frank Worthington RIP on 22:03 - Mar 24 by westberksr

more that it was a period with plentiful supply and they were embraced by the fans too.

I get your point and the pitches today wouldhave suited them as would the refs & rules, but how many of these lunatics would have complied with the off field rules and regimes?

Many may not have even seen the light of day and may have never made the grade just because they wouldn't fit in to the stereotype academy product; Eze being a good example of one that nearly slipped through the net and he is no bother at all.

bunch of lazy overpaid fancy dans when compared to the typical 5'11" middleweight physique athletes coming through everywhere else.

It would be nice to think they could have graced our pitches with suitable protection and flourished but we'll never know

Fair comment. They would probably have all railed against the current 'regime' Worth pointing out though, that Tarrabt's one season of absolute genius in his entire career (albeit at level two) was when he was totally indulged by Warnock
Frank Worthington RIP on 00:06 - Mar 25 with 955 viewsBoston

Spot on, they were products of their time.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Frank Worthington RIP on 08:23 - Mar 25 with 877 viewsMrSheen

The other thing is that the cloggers of their days were also on the booze, fags and fry-ups. If Ron Harris was tucked up in bed at 9pm with a wheatgrass shake and an iPad of video analysis, he could have been skin-tight to the talented players from the first whistle.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024