Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park 16:20 - Apr 9 with 3311 viewsdurham_exile

It is difficult these days to write solely about the football on the field. Colchester have had a wretched season on the pitch and perhaps an even worse one off. Culminating this week in conspiracy theories, messages, accusations, subsequently withdrawn statements, and assertions that we are not going into administration. RC has also said that he is not leaving the club for the foreseeable.

Now the dictionary considers foreseeable to mean it can be predicted or identified in advance. Foreseeable is the adjective form of the verb foresee, which means to see or know beforehand. Foreseeable is often used in the phrase the foreseeable future, referring to the span of time in the near future about which reasonable assumptions can be made.

What this all means no one knows, but it has caused further instability at the club at a time when we need confidence in our league future.

6 games to play against Oldham A, Walsall H, Southend H, Cheltenham A, Salford H and Tranmere A.

Quite frankly we need to garner points quickly ahead of the last three fixtures. Can we get 9 more points from these 6 games. The answer of course is yes. Our survival still remains in our own hands.

We play Oldham at Boundary Park, a ground where we have a decent recent record, then two home games against Walsall and Southend. Surely, we must be able to take maximum points from at least two of those games. The Southend one simply is a must win at all costs.

Walsall 39 43 -7
Barrow 38 42 -3
COL U 40 41 -17
Southend 40 36 -29
Grimsby 39 34 -27

Oldham already have 48 points and sit in 17th position. They defeated a poor Crawley side 4-1 the other day and I expect that Crawley will roll over at Southend on Saturday therefore we must get something tonight at Oldham against the Latics.

Keith Curle will be relieved to be virtually safe and will know that a defeat tonight is not too costly but after a recent win they will be keen to do well. Do not forget the rumour about a League Two team going into administration is doing the rounds, it could be any of the bottom half teams unless it was deliberately calculated to cause instability at Colchester (which it certainly has done).

I think a 2-0 away win tonight will work wonders for the U’s it will ensure that the gap to Scummend even after they win tomorrow will still be 5 points (6 if you include the GD).

Earlier in the season we allowed a lead to slip twice against the Latics in a pulsating 3-3 draw at the JSCS. Late goals have been costly for us this season as was proven against the Bluebirds the other day.

HM and PT will be looking to improve upon their Easter haul and the team could well look something like this 4,2,3,1:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Wiredu Pell

Senior Brown Harriott

Nouble

Subs:

Lapslie Chilvers Stevenson George Folivi Poku Tchamadeu

Kwame Poku will be back this evening from the Black Stars.

Weather in Oldham will be 5 degrees C at kick off with some sunshine and then cloud but it will be dry again.

This season has been wretched, we are in the brown and pungent and we have the 24th worst Away record in League Two and the 15th worst home record. Oldham have the 22nd worst home record and the 5th best Away record. Statisticians would predict a draw; I am going for a Colchester victory.

We must get away from the trials and tribulations of the events off the pitch and concentrate solely on the football on the pitch. The players need to improve on that appalling Away record. Tonight, is the best chance for a win and to put pressure on our Essex fiends.

Try to enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 00:24 - Apr 10 with 894 viewsdurham_exile

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 00:01 - Apr 10 by wessex_exile

Positive - we're still in the fight, and we're still several results ahead of the bottom two. Of the two away games, I thought we'd do well to get a point, and we did, just not in the order I expected them.

Let's see how Grimsby and Southend respond tomorrow.

Now more than ever Colchester United need our unwavering support, so give it up U'suals, we're as strong as The Old Oak Tree!!!

Tonight was depressing.

After the heroics against Bolton and the disappointment of Barrow this was truly shocking.

Oldham to score 5 against us appalling.

Sadly we are no longer points ahead of Southend and Grimsby.

After Crawley roll over tomorrow we will be two points only ahead of Southend and when we play them it will be the most important Essex derby ever.

We simply have to win that game and somehow we must beat Walsall too.

Cheltenham Salford and Tranmere all with lots to play for will all be tough.

If we do not play better than tonight then we are certs for relegation.

The team look disjointed dispirited and frankly down and out.

Until this evening I thought we could escape now I dread the final games.

RC has not helped the club this week.

The players have been affected by the off field antics and they are fragile at best.

Frankly we need a miracle now and somehow 9 more points from 5 games.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 01:24 - Apr 10 with 864 viewswessex_exile

RC has not helped the club this week. The players have been affected by the off field antics and they are fragile at best.

Honestly Durham, I realise you clearly want this to be the case, but how exactly has Robbie Cowling not helped the club this week? Would you rather he didn’t respond to complete fabrications in the press? I’d prefer a chairman who stood up and defended the club when we’re attacked, and I reckon our squad feel the same.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 06:36 - Apr 10 with 831 viewspwrightsknees

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 00:01 - Apr 10 by wessex_exile

Positive - we're still in the fight, and we're still several results ahead of the bottom two. Of the two away games, I thought we'd do well to get a point, and we did, just not in the order I expected them.

Let's see how Grimsby and Southend respond tomorrow.

Now more than ever Colchester United need our unwavering support, so give it up U'suals, we're as strong as The Old Oak Tree!!!

Well said, Wessex.

Back in the dark days of the mid-1960s, in my teens, I said to my Mum, "I don't care how bad the U's get, I will never stop supporting them".

Well, that sentiment has been severely tested these recent months and weeks. But I still loyally pay my £10 iFollow fee every match.

Keep trying as hard as you can, Colchester United, and do your best.

Up the U's
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:49 - Apr 10 with 751 viewsthrillseeker

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 06:36 - Apr 10 by pwrightsknees

Well said, Wessex.

Back in the dark days of the mid-1960s, in my teens, I said to my Mum, "I don't care how bad the U's get, I will never stop supporting them".

Well, that sentiment has been severely tested these recent months and weeks. But I still loyally pay my £10 iFollow fee every match.

Keep trying as hard as you can, Colchester United, and do your best.

Up the U's

PWK - perfect statement

I was born in Colchester 1970 went to my first game in 1978 and also said no matter what my support of Colchester United will never stop,

Yes it is hard the majority of times but that is the fun of being a CUFC fan

Even if we were in the Isthmian League I would still be proud to be CUFC fan

CUFC are in my blood
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 10:51 - Apr 10 with 725 viewsnoah4x4

I was born a Brummie, actually Villa at heart, but have always supported my “local club”, that has included Bristol City (lived 7 years in the City) and Millwall (2 years in South London) and Colchester United (18 years). By “support”, I don’t mean “follow”, which I have always done with Villa ever since I left the Midlands 40 years ago. I mean attend every home game and as regards Col Utd attend most away games too.

I am furious at the avoidable demise of our beloved local club. It was patently obvious that ripping the spine from the team would backfire. It was obvious playing three lightweights (Harriott, Senior and Poku) in this brutally physical league would eventually backfire. Today, we don’t even have a recognised number 9, and one up front has proved folly as the individuals I have named are too selfish, are not team players and leave our sole striker isolated.

Frankly, I am not sure I want to waste my money on non-league football. I certainly won’t be travelling hundreds of miles to empty away grounds. What lies ahead could be an unmitigated disaster for this Town, and all because Cowling can’t sack his failed mates. We need a Tisdale inspired miracle against Walsall and Southend.
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 11:14 - Apr 10 with 709 viewsMoor_Pinot

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 10:51 - Apr 10 by noah4x4

I was born a Brummie, actually Villa at heart, but have always supported my “local club”, that has included Bristol City (lived 7 years in the City) and Millwall (2 years in South London) and Colchester United (18 years). By “support”, I don’t mean “follow”, which I have always done with Villa ever since I left the Midlands 40 years ago. I mean attend every home game and as regards Col Utd attend most away games too.

I am furious at the avoidable demise of our beloved local club. It was patently obvious that ripping the spine from the team would backfire. It was obvious playing three lightweights (Harriott, Senior and Poku) in this brutally physical league would eventually backfire. Today, we don’t even have a recognised number 9, and one up front has proved folly as the individuals I have named are too selfish, are not team players and leave our sole striker isolated.

Frankly, I am not sure I want to waste my money on non-league football. I certainly won’t be travelling hundreds of miles to empty away grounds. What lies ahead could be an unmitigated disaster for this Town, and all because Cowling can’t sack his failed mates. We need a Tisdale inspired miracle against Walsall and Southend.

Yes, we do need maybe more than one miracle. Given his experience you might expect Tisdale to be able to achieve it, but he's had little time.

Like Thrillo, if we were in the Isthmian South my 57 years of support would mean that my allegiance and passion would remain.

But I do want answers. I don't understand why mid autumn we were in the top ten and looking no better but no worse than a top twelve side, in my opinion. I accept that Marine and Exeter along with two absurdly won games against FGR and Harrogate who could both claim that 5-0 in their favour was about right, was a period of catalyst, but as Mick reminded us we went nineteen consecutive games scoring and whilst the squad was weaker than the play-off one we still have /had good players at this level.
I accept Ball was a novice, but so was McGreal who was unadventurous and weak but I am beginning to be persuaded that he did better than it seemed, so the implosion of the last five months has truly beaten me. I think Noah may be right, the loss of Prosser, Norris, etc has impacted, yet it still seems impossible that just that could be why we look so dreadful, so very definitely non league. We can all see how pointless using players like Harriott, Poku and Senior (who has had four good games in three seasons) together is - they are easy fare to defend, you just wait for the error, the crap pass or the tricks that fail, but none of the promise waiting in the wings had been tried effectively (Tovide, Cowan-Hall, Folivi, Sayer, Hasanally, Clampin etc), now, it's too late anyway. Tovide is a number 9, Sayer a creative player who could improve the look of Pell.

But this is just a best guess at why we are where we are. I'm not a manager, nor am I Humes. Hence my complete dismay at the speed of this long term decline. Maybe when the end of a decline comes, it comes in a rush, it certainly seems so, I hope I never find out but I would like answers as to why the demise of my beloved club has been so spectacular. We really look very very poor.

Up what passes for the U's

Moor Pinot

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 13:55 - Apr 10 with 657 viewsgerry_us

I will remain a U's fan whatever happens. A fan since my first match in 1952 (yes I am that old) I remember the disastrous season where we departed the league for a few years but strangely visited Wembley regularly during that time. Then, when we finally achieved the heady heights of the Championship, what did I do? .moved to the USA only to return home on our demise to league 1.
Championship, League 1 or 2...or worse I will be there whatever and if it means visiting northern National League teams for a season or so, so be it. Durham and I may still get our fish and chip supper before our match v Grimsby..but hopefully not!
Stay strong everyone, worse things are happening all around us. I do however still believe we will survive...somehow.
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 17:05 - Apr 10 with 613 viewsburnsieespana

I first watched Col U play in 1956 (age 10) so Gerry bean supporting them longer!
Will always support the club,bteam, manager, etc even if I do get downhearted at times.
Yes bizarre how we had a heart spell if being able to go to Wembley and the first season in the Championship was unreal.
Writing this after results today and it feels like we got out of gaol so let Ng ascwe can get results from Walsall and Southend who we must not be beaten by. Somehow I feel one win and a couple draws will see us home. Knowing CUFC they will keep us 'biting our nails' until last game of the season when magically we will get a totally unexpected win;
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 19:14]
Login to get fewer ads

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 18:06 - Apr 10 with 596 viewspwrightsknees

I fall in between Gerry and Burnsie. My first match was April 1954, aged 7 v Brighton (1-1). Th U's bug never left me.

Apart from the three Wembley appearances which I came down for, and a pre-season friendly at Partick Thistle, 1990, I missed watching the U's for 15 years, 1983-1998.

During that time I supported Hearts (I still do). Yes, I know they are an Edinburgh club - it's a long story. My son and I would go to Hearts matches, home and away, then rush home to get the English results on Ceefax or Teletext. Of course, I honed straight in on the U's score, whereas, I regret to say that my son looked for the Ipswich Town score. He remains a staunch fan to this day.

A bit of amusing dialogue from Taggart:
Det Sgt Jardine to Taggart: "There's been a murder at Firhill (Partick Thistle ground).
Taggart: "It's murder at Firhill every second Saturday".
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 18:41 - Apr 10 with 574 viewswessex_exile

I know I'm the nipper here, first game for me was 20th August 1971, 1-0 victory over Hartlepool, courtesy of a Len Ashurst own goal. Hooked ever since.

Up the U's

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 19:13 - Apr 10 with 557 viewsburnsieespana

Wessex my old chap supported Hartlepool all his life.
Was a season ticket holder at Colchester but when the pools came to town I had his seat as he bought a ticket to be with any pools fans at the game!
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 22:46 - Apr 10 with 508 viewsoxfcolu

Like a few of you have supported a long time. September 1971 at home to Southend which we won 1 - 0. Over 11'000 in the ground for a Monday evening kick off. Sadly we have been here before but at some point will bounce back.😁
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:06 - Apr 11 with 461 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Jesus you lot are old! I would say that you probably represent the general kind of age of a Col U season ticket holder though. My dad and uncle are both season ticket holders and in their 70’s. I feel that’s probably the case for a high proportion of our fan base and they aren’t going to be around forever.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:58 - Apr 11 with 451 viewsGOSBTS

My perspective is from the outside looking in, having only followed the U's for a few seasons and only managing 2 games this year online. For that reason I may be wide of the mark in my assessment of the situation! For what my opinion's worth: in the big picture I've thought for quite some time now that McGreal's inability to get the U's promoted with the squads he had would eventually come back to bite us. You simply can't keep losing League One quality players (Kent, Bramall, Jackson, KV-Y, Szmodics, Mandron etc) and others to clubs around us (Prosser, Norris, Comley). Even if some of those players didn't excel with us (e.g. Mandron), they were still recognised for their talent. You can only keep replacing them with youth players and cheap transfers/free agents for so long.

In the immediate picture, losing Bramall and Norris seems to be the nail in the coffin. I was listening to the Ipswich v Lincoln commentary a few weeks ago and the BBC Suffolk presenters were really impressed with Cohen - and that's at League One, play-off chasing level. He had such a positive impact, both defensively and going forward for the U's. And even though Norris wasn't prolific, he's a natural striker who'll pop up with a goal every 4-5 games, which at this stage is more than good enough for us. His new club Stevenage are 14th, and I reckon that's where we'd be if both players had stayed until the end of the year.

What's happened to Brown? Ball had seemed to unleash his potential at the beginning of the season, but he's not even a regular starter now?
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 10:32 - Apr 11 with 441 viewsgerry_us

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:06 - Apr 11 by RSCOSWORTH

Jesus you lot are old! I would say that you probably represent the general kind of age of a Col U season ticket holder though. My dad and uncle are both season ticket holders and in their 70’s. I feel that’s probably the case for a high proportion of our fan base and they aren’t going to be around forever.

Watch it, you young wipper snapper.
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 10:34 - Apr 11 with 439 viewswessex_exile

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:58 - Apr 11 by GOSBTS

My perspective is from the outside looking in, having only followed the U's for a few seasons and only managing 2 games this year online. For that reason I may be wide of the mark in my assessment of the situation! For what my opinion's worth: in the big picture I've thought for quite some time now that McGreal's inability to get the U's promoted with the squads he had would eventually come back to bite us. You simply can't keep losing League One quality players (Kent, Bramall, Jackson, KV-Y, Szmodics, Mandron etc) and others to clubs around us (Prosser, Norris, Comley). Even if some of those players didn't excel with us (e.g. Mandron), they were still recognised for their talent. You can only keep replacing them with youth players and cheap transfers/free agents for so long.

In the immediate picture, losing Bramall and Norris seems to be the nail in the coffin. I was listening to the Ipswich v Lincoln commentary a few weeks ago and the BBC Suffolk presenters were really impressed with Cohen - and that's at League One, play-off chasing level. He had such a positive impact, both defensively and going forward for the U's. And even though Norris wasn't prolific, he's a natural striker who'll pop up with a goal every 4-5 games, which at this stage is more than good enough for us. His new club Stevenage are 14th, and I reckon that's where we'd be if both players had stayed until the end of the year.

What's happened to Brown? Ball had seemed to unleash his potential at the beginning of the season, but he's not even a regular starter now?

Brown is a huge enigma. Completely failed to live up to his big money tag under McGreal, didn’t even do particularly well on his FGR loan. Under Ball he was rediscovered, suddenly showing just why he was worth what we paid, and then just as quickly went off the boil again, and before too long was back to being the benchwarmer most of the time. Someone’s got to work him out, because he could be huge for the U’s if he’s still here next season - I wonder if this is one for a sports psychologist?

Up the U's

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 11:09 - Apr 11 with 427 viewsMoor_Pinot

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 10:32 - Apr 11 by gerry_us

Watch it, you young wipper snapper.

Watch it indeed Cossie.

I still aim to move back to England in the next couple of years once I have had a couple more exhibitions if Covid-19 allows. Then I will aiming for many more years attending thr U's!!!!

Young people these days huh!

Moor Pinot

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 13:20 - Apr 11 with 404 viewsthrillseeker

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 09:06 - Apr 11 by RSCOSWORTH

RSC - I am 50 and I bet you are not far behind me

I must admit to being surprised at some of the ages mentioned
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 17:13 - Apr 11 with 361 viewsmfb_cufc

I will add my name to the young at heart old 'uns. My first game, when I was 7, was against Crystal Palace on 13th October 1962 and we lost 2-1. Stood at the clock end, and that became my viewing spot for a number of years afterwards.

mfb

I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 18:35 - Apr 11 with 344 viewspwrightsknees

Note to Cossie and Thrillo. When we "veterans" first went to matches, we had to pay with proper money.
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 18:52 - Apr 11 with 339 viewsburnsieespana

Ha ha, wait in a long queue to get to thevtuenstiles and get the football special to and from Layer Road!
I told 'em Oldham, the first time battery - U's to prevail at flat Boundary Park on 19:13 - Apr 11 with 326 viewsgerry_us

I used to travel in on the Osborne's football special xbus from Tollesbury and would stand close to the Osborne's ad on the pitch edge wall at the clock end. Seemed only right somehow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024