Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! 17:54 - Nov 9 with 2765 viewsdurham_exile

After a thoroughly deserved and professional performance against AFC Sudbury on Friday night Colchester’s reward is a home tie against either Wigan or Solihull Moors. Round 3 awaits!

Tonight, though there is more than a quantum of interest in the Papa John’s Trophy match at Poorman Road. The winner of the game against Ipswich qualifies for the next round of the PJT and doubtless gets the Pizza delivery for the rest of the season!

Even though the Tractorboys will be singing "you mean f**k all to us" they will not want to lose to their North Essex neighbours.

Now the pre-season friendly was a thoroughly entertaining 6 goal thriller. I would take any win tonight, preferably without the need for a penalty shoot-out.

The advantage of having no game at the weekend because of International Call ups is that HM can pick a virtually unchanged team and I hope that he has the courage to do so.

The change enforced upon HM will be Daniels for Clampin who gashed his knee badly early in the first half on Friday.

So:

George

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Daniels

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs

Turner Coxe Smith MWH Hannant McCoulsky Nouble

Cook will have a changed side to the one that drew with Oldham. Never mind about all the guff about the Ipswich old boys in our team, we are likely to line up against Kane Vincent-Young and someone called Macca Bonne.

It has been unseasonably mild here in Durham today and the forecast at Ipswich will be cloudy and 12 degrees Celsius and dry.

I think that it will be another game with goals and I am going to say providing HM is brave with his selection we will prevail 3-2 and progress with another slice of pizza to enjoy this evening.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:49 - Nov 9 with 859 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:47 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

2-2

3-3

Big Frank not taking one!!!!??

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:52 - Nov 9 with 846 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:49 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

3-3

Big Frank not taking one!!!!??

An absolute disgrace Big Frank should never play for Colchester again

Absolutely cowardly of Frank not to take a penalty.

Cooper should not have had to take the 5th penalty.

A disgrace.

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:52 - Nov 9 with 845 viewsthrillseeker

Talksport 2 MOM is Frank Nouble

The award was mainly for his defensive duties which is irritating as he is a forward player
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:52 - Nov 9 with 844 viewswessex_exile

Gutted, but a brave effort and a good game. Cooper could have won it with his snap chance, but got to feel for him beating the 'keeper and bouncing so narrowly off the inside of the post.

BRAVO Col U!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:56 - Nov 9 with 834 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:52 - Nov 9 by thrillseeker

Talksport 2 MOM is Frank Nouble

The award was mainly for his defensive duties which is irritating as he is a forward player

Big Frank MOTM - clearly Talksport are out to lunch.

He should have taken a penalty.

Frankly Frank can leave the club, he has let the team down tonight.

I am appalled.

Not good enough. We could have won that shoot out. Cooper was very unlucky but he should not have been expexcted to take that fifth penalty.

I am seething.

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:00 - Nov 9 with 829 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:56 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

I am appalled.

Not good enough. We could have won that shoot out. Cooper was very unlucky but he should not have been expexcted to take that fifth penalty.

I am seething.

Sears still on Ippy payroll?
Big Frank a waste of space....and money.
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:15 - Nov 9 with 789 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:56 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

I am appalled.

I am seething.

Seething you may be Durham, but I thought Frank had good game doing the other stuff he does. His hold-up play, keeping the Ipshit defence on their toes, and defensive work was one of his best performances this season. As for the pens, none of us know what the discussions beforehand were, but the young bucks were given their chance as a result, and fair play to them for giving it a go.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:20 - Nov 9 with 787 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:00 - Nov 9 by gerry_us

Sears still on Ippy payroll?
Big Frank a waste of space....and money.

Seriously? Show some faith Gerry. I know us losing fits with your issues about Colchester United, but do you actually believe Freddie threw it because he still has Ipshit affiliations. Get a grip chap.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:21 - Nov 9 with 786 viewsnoah4x4

Just got home. I reckon Franks legs had gone by around 80 minutes. Should have been subbed IMHO, and was in no fit state to take a penalty. Others were spent too as the pace of the game was exhausting. Had there been extra time, don’t think we would have had the energy. Would be interesting to see the metrics (miles run etc) and compared with normal League Two fare. We were hanging on in last 15 hoping for a break on the counter and had chances to win it. Ipswich fans I know were outraged by their performance, offering no credit to a fine U’s show. We can hold our heads high.
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:39 - Nov 9 with 777 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:15 - Nov 9 by wessex_exile

Seething you may be Durham, but I thought Frank had good game doing the other stuff he does. His hold-up play, keeping the Ipshit defence on their toes, and defensive work was one of his best performances this season. As for the pens, none of us know what the discussions beforehand were, but the young bucks were given their chance as a result, and fair play to them for giving it a go.

Wessex I have been a big Frank fan but I am afraid that he is not contributing any goals and doesn't look like scoring.

He simply had to be on the list of five names for a penalty.

With 15 to go I was calling for him to be replaced by McClousky and HM was wrong not to make that change.

If he remained on the field (mainly because HM had made his final sub) then he should have manned up and taken a penalty.

Chilvers, Hannant (who is improving each game now that he is getting over COVID) and Coxe all scored but the youngster Cooper should not have taken a penalty before Big Frank simple as.

I believe he let the team down by not taking a penalty. That says more about him this season.

The team deserved to go through tonight and HM needs to re-evaluate over the next week and a bit exactly what Big Frank's worth is to the team because he is not bringing home the bacon.

If he is not going to play the new signing McClousky then don't put him on the bench because he is wasting everyone's time.

I think Frank has had enough second chances this season.

Noah what did the U's faithful think of Big Frank failing to take a penalty. I can imagine they weren't impressed. OK it was the PJT but if it had been the F A Cup then what?

Up the U's

Drop Big Frank and ask him to sort himself out. He had a great opportunity at Sudbury to score and only succeeded in getting booked.

Let the team down tonight.

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:47 - Nov 9 with 774 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:39 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Wessex I have been a big Frank fan but I am afraid that he is not contributing any goals and doesn't look like scoring.

He simply had to be on the list of five names for a penalty.

With 15 to go I was calling for him to be replaced by McClousky and HM was wrong not to make that change.

If he remained on the field (mainly because HM had made his final sub) then he should have manned up and taken a penalty.

Chilvers, Hannant (who is improving each game now that he is getting over COVID) and Coxe all scored but the youngster Cooper should not have taken a penalty before Big Frank simple as.

I believe he let the team down by not taking a penalty. That says more about him this season.

The team deserved to go through tonight and HM needs to re-evaluate over the next week and a bit exactly what Big Frank's worth is to the team because he is not bringing home the bacon.

If he is not going to play the new signing McClousky then don't put him on the bench because he is wasting everyone's time.

I think Frank has had enough second chances this season.

Noah what did the U's faithful think of Big Frank failing to take a penalty. I can imagine they weren't impressed. OK it was the PJT but if it had been the F A Cup then what?

Up the U's

Drop Big Frank and ask him to sort himself out. He had a great opportunity at Sudbury to score and only succeeded in getting booked.

Let the team down tonight.

Sorry to say, but if you think Frank "let the team down" you clearly weren't watching the same game I did. He literally ran his socks off.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 00:02 - Nov 10 with 772 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:47 - Nov 9 by wessex_exile

Sorry to say, but if you think Frank "let the team down" you clearly weren't watching the same game I did. He literally ran his socks off.

I agree with Wessex. Frank and others were running box to box to thwart a lively Ipswich. Frank was brilliant defensively (Talksport apparently mentioned) making multiple last ditch tackles covering for a weak Daniels and he simply ran out of energy. I don't blame him for not taking a penalty. Where I do agree with Durham was he should have been subbed.

The general mood of U's fans on the train back was joyous. "Best 0-0" ever was a common observation. By contrast, returning Ipswich fans were commenting as if they had lost. I also witnessed this on Saturday when I went along to encourage Oldham. I personally think we should rejoice that this is three consecutive unbeaten (in 90 minutes) fixtures. Who cares about the Pizza cup?
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 08:32 - Nov 10 with 713 viewsburnsieespana

Evidently Cooper wanted to take the final penalty and shows sort of guy he is as has real potential
Good on the young guns to want to get involved and take responsibility
All in all a decent result from a club who have spent a huge amount of money in the last 6 months.
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 09:44 - Nov 10 with 683 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 08:32 - Nov 10 by burnsieespana

Evidently Cooper wanted to take the final penalty and shows sort of guy he is as has real potential
Good on the young guns to want to get involved and take responsibility
All in all a decent result from a club who have spent a huge amount of money in the last 6 months.

According to someone on the OMB Frank tweeted that he wanted to take one but his knee was swollen in his words "bigger than Tom Eastman's head" so he was put 7th on the list.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:00 - Nov 10 with 675 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:20 - Nov 9 by wessex_exile

Seriously? Show some faith Gerry. I know us losing fits with your issues about Colchester United, but do you actually believe Freddie threw it because he still has Ipshit affiliations. Get a grip chap.

Joke Wessex!. Yes I am peeded off with the U's at the moment, more the fact that we currently have too many player who "take the money but don't run", Sears and big Frank amongst them. I think the youngsters showed in the FA Cup what they can do but do they get the chance, NO.
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:06 - Nov 10 with 673 viewsMrHappy2

Unlucky chaps

A good night out none the less

So close

Poll: In its 20th season how has the Happy League affected your life ?

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:11 - Nov 10 with 672 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 09:44 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

According to someone on the OMB Frank tweeted that he wanted to take one but his knee was swollen in his words "bigger than Tom Eastman's head" so he was put 7th on the list.

I am not doubting Big Frank's work rate for the team but he is not employed as left back, centre half or left wing back. He is a left sided striker.

if he is not going to contribute goals to the team then he must be dropped.

We have enough defenders and midfield players, but are still woefully short of strikers.

McCoulsky plays and scores on Friday. He could have been the third sub last night and should have been given valuable minutes.

Big Frank could have asked to be replaced as a senior pro and we might have fashioned a win with fresh legs.

Certainly however hard Frank works at left back he ain't scoring for the U's from there.

Perhaps the time has come to move him to a left sided midfield player but does he have the stamina to get box to box.

His goal scoring days have deserted him sadly.

His best return in his career was for us from 2018-2020 with 14 goals in 79 appearances. He has 63 goals in 409 appearances for 18 teams.

Still only 30, perhaps we can no longer call him as a striker.

If he was number 7 on the penalty list then who was number 6 going to be?
Answers on a postcard.

Ipswich were there for the taking last night. They were not convincing and although only the PJT I would have liked to see us progress from the group stages.

Plenty of time now to prepare for Stevenage Away.

Pluses last night for me were - Tchamadeu, Wiredu, Kenedy, Chilvers, Hannat and Sears

Incidentally HM sensibly took Tchamadeu off when it was clear he was tiring and MWH deputised. Big Frank should have also gone in similar circumstances.

We missed a trick last night and it has cost us. Not taking a penalty has also done nothing for Big Frank's confidence regardless of how swollen his knee was or wasn't.

And yes I'm still seething.

Up the U's

PS Have just read HM post match comments. No mention of Big Frank or his desire to take a penalty and no mention of swollen knees.

"We wanted to lead with our strongest penalty takers" said HM
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 10:16]

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:29 - Nov 10 with 666 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Have you ever seen Nouble take a penalty? It's not pretty. Some players are good at penalties and some aren't. I always think it's strange when forwards shy away from penalties but if you're not confident then you shouldn't be taking one.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 11:09 - Nov 10 with 657 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 19:41 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Unless Dobra and Smith have already left for sunnier climes where are they and more to the point where is Jasper.

Big Frank needs to find his shooting boots tonight.
Is he a false 9!!!!!!!

Up the U's
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 19:42]

Incidentally, all three were already away on international duties.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 16:17 - Nov 10 with 593 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:29 - Nov 10 by RSCOSWORTH

Have you ever seen Nouble take a penalty? It's not pretty. Some players are good at penalties and some aren't. I always think it's strange when forwards shy away from penalties but if you're not confident then you shouldn't be taking one.

Maybe I was doing Frank a disservice. He's taken penalties in three shootouts for us and scored every single time.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:05 - Nov 10 with 573 viewswessex_exile

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

I am informed via text that the U's are through anyway, after West Ham have been deducted points. Don't know why, looking for anything on the internet to confirm. Think it was a player taking part who should have been suspended.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:08 - Nov 10 with 567 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:05 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

I am informed via text that the U's are through anyway, after West Ham have been deducted points. Don't know why, looking for anything on the internet to confirm. Think it was a player taking part who should have been suspended.

Confirmed here;-

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/november/papa-johns-progress/

mfb

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:08 - Nov 10 with 567 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:05 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Confirmed - it's on the OWS.

"Wember-ley, Wember-ley - we're the famous Col United and we're going to Wember-ley"

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 19:52 - Nov 10 with 518 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 17:08 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

Confirmed - it's on the OWS.

"Wember-ley, Wember-ley - we're the famous Col United and we're going to Wember-ley"

It's definitely a sign!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 20:43 - Nov 10 with 496 viewsburnsieespana

Any additional monies we now gain could be useful in January and could we be on the cusp of a change in our fortunes?
We played well last night and most importantly some young guns got good experience.
Wonder what the odds are on us being drawn away to Ipswich since they are guaranteed a home tie and we will defo he away?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024