Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! 17:54 - Nov 9 with 2758 viewsdurham_exile

After a thoroughly deserved and professional performance against AFC Sudbury on Friday night Colchester’s reward is a home tie against either Wigan or Solihull Moors. Round 3 awaits!

Tonight, though there is more than a quantum of interest in the Papa John’s Trophy match at Poorman Road. The winner of the game against Ipswich qualifies for the next round of the PJT and doubtless gets the Pizza delivery for the rest of the season!

Even though the Tractorboys will be singing "you mean f**k all to us" they will not want to lose to their North Essex neighbours.

Now the pre-season friendly was a thoroughly entertaining 6 goal thriller. I would take any win tonight, preferably without the need for a penalty shoot-out.

The advantage of having no game at the weekend because of International Call ups is that HM can pick a virtually unchanged team and I hope that he has the courage to do so.

The change enforced upon HM will be Daniels for Clampin who gashed his knee badly early in the first half on Friday.

So:

George

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Daniels

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs

Turner Coxe Smith MWH Hannant McCoulsky Nouble

Cook will have a changed side to the one that drew with Oldham. Never mind about all the guff about the Ipswich old boys in our team, we are likely to line up against Kane Vincent-Young and someone called Macca Bonne.

It has been unseasonably mild here in Durham today and the forecast at Ipswich will be cloudy and 12 degrees Celsius and dry.

I think that it will be another game with goals and I am going to say providing HM is brave with his selection we will prevail 3-2 and progress with another slice of pizza to enjoy this evening.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:04 - Nov 10 with 643 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 20:43 - Nov 10 by burnsieespana

Any additional monies we now gain could be useful in January and could we be on the cusp of a change in our fortunes?
We played well last night and most importantly some young guns got good experience.
Wonder what the odds are on us being drawn away to Ipswich since they are guaranteed a home tie and we will defo he away?

Didn't know until I checked, but you can't be drawn against another team from your group next round. Don't think that precludes the possibility further down the line, if we're both to progress, but not for now. Next round is regional though, and there are matches underway tonight to decide the line-up - it'll be a group stage winner, whoever it is...and I think the draw is Saturday, not sure what time though.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:23 - Nov 10 with 616 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:04 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

Didn't know until I checked, but you can't be drawn against another team from your group next round. Don't think that precludes the possibility further down the line, if we're both to progress, but not for now. Next round is regional though, and there are matches underway tonight to decide the line-up - it'll be a group stage winner, whoever it is...and I think the draw is Saturday, not sure what time though.

FGR won 2-0 at Walsall and Exeter beat Bristol Rovers 5-3, so we'll definitely be at either Sutton United, Aston Villa (U21s), FGR, Exeter, Swindon, Leyton Orient or Cambridge. Not Ipshit though.

Edit: the other second place Southern Group qualifiers are Pompey, MK Dongs, Walsall, Chelsea (U21s), Arsenal (U21s), Charlton and Stevenage
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 21:28]

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:33 - Nov 10 with 608 viewsmfb_cufc

The draw is 14.00 Saturday on sky after the Port Vale v Bradford City game. The group winners are at home to the group seconds. So we will be away to either Sutton, Forest Green, Exeter, Swindon, Leyton Orient, Cambridge or Aston Villa U21. Though I'm not sure if the Premier League U21 teams are allowed to play at home, as they aren't at the group stage. 2nd Round ties are due to be played on the week commencing 29th November.

The really good news from the competition so far is that only 3 of the original 16 Premier League U21 teams got through from the group stage.

mfb

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:48 - Nov 10 with 604 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 21:33 - Nov 10 by mfb_cufc

The draw is 14.00 Saturday on sky after the Port Vale v Bradford City game. The group winners are at home to the group seconds. So we will be away to either Sutton, Forest Green, Exeter, Swindon, Leyton Orient, Cambridge or Aston Villa U21. Though I'm not sure if the Premier League U21 teams are allowed to play at home, as they aren't at the group stage. 2nd Round ties are due to be played on the week commencing 29th November.

The really good news from the competition so far is that only 3 of the original 16 Premier League U21 teams got through from the group stage.

You might well be right on that U21 rule mfb_cufc, which presumably would mean if we draw Aston Villa it would be at the JobServe - that would be nice!

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:05 - Nov 10 with 594 viewsmfb_cufc

West Ham were docked those 3 points before last night's game. I wonder if the teams knew that, because if they did they would know a draw would make sure they both qualified, and the penalties would decide who would be at home 🏡 in the next round. Probably not, but there was a lot of good chances missed in the game.

mfb

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:12 - Nov 10 with 589 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:05 - Nov 10 by mfb_cufc

West Ham were docked those 3 points before last night's game. I wonder if the teams knew that, because if they did they would know a draw would make sure they both qualified, and the penalties would decide who would be at home 🏡 in the next round. Probably not, but there was a lot of good chances missed in the game.

Nah - plausible conspiracy theory, but not given the pace of the game, the genuine serious attempts to score from both sides, and not forgetting Ipshit had a goal scrubbed for a narrow offside.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:33 - Nov 10 with 582 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 22:12 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

Nah - plausible conspiracy theory, but not given the pace of the game, the genuine serious attempts to score from both sides, and not forgetting Ipshit had a goal scrubbed for a narrow offside.

I agree, but I find it strange why the EFL made the statement before last night's game, and not after, when it couldn't have any influence on the result.

mfb

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:04 - Nov 10 with 571 viewsgerry_us

Just for interest, looked at the final PJ league tables to see we scored 1 goal in three games. Says it all doesn't it!
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:31 - Nov 10 with 566 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:04 - Nov 10 by gerry_us

Just for interest, looked at the final PJ league tables to see we scored 1 goal in three games. Says it all doesn't it!

Gerry Gerry, you're killing me here my friend

You know that no one wins a knockout competition on goal difference, but for balance, we've also only conceded 1 goal in those three games as well - much of that last night down to Frank and his dark arts in defence

Incidentally Mick, although they adjudicated their decision before yesterday's game, they didn't actually broadcast it.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:48 - Nov 10 with 561 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:31 - Nov 10 by wessex_exile

Gerry Gerry, you're killing me here my friend

You know that no one wins a knockout competition on goal difference, but for balance, we've also only conceded 1 goal in those three games as well - much of that last night down to Frank and his dark arts in defence

Incidentally Mick, although they adjudicated their decision before yesterday's game, they didn't actually broadcast it.

I suppose it will be FGR Away which will suit you Wessex!

Lots of conspiracy theories but I do not think either team threw the game last night, seemed to be a genuine attempt to win the game from the off.

I am just pleased that we have been reprieved albeit thanks to West Ham falling foul of the rules.

Up the U's

Doesn't make me feel any better about the youngsters being thrown under the Bus when it came to taking a penalty though!!!!!

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 00:03 - Nov 11 with 558 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 23:48 - Nov 10 by durham_exile

I suppose it will be FGR Away which will suit you Wessex!

Lots of conspiracy theories but I do not think either team threw the game last night, seemed to be a genuine attempt to win the game from the off.

I am just pleased that we have been reprieved albeit thanks to West Ham falling foul of the rules.

Up the U's

Doesn't make me feel any better about the youngsters being thrown under the Bus when it came to taking a penalty though!!!!!

LOL, the way things are going, I might need an FGR season ticket. Reprieved yes, but you play by the rules you have to follow the rules, them's the breaks chap.

Up the U's

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:04 - Nov 11 with 515 viewsburnsieespana

I don't feel the youngster's were thrown under the bus as good experience for them. It is a man's world and at some stage they have to learn to deal with it.
Remember how Chilvers took the penalty at Crystal Palace?
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 10:05]
Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 18:22 - Nov 11 with 477 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat the old enemy at Poorman Road tonight! on 10:04 - Nov 11 by burnsieespana

I don't feel the youngster's were thrown under the bus as good experience for them. It is a man's world and at some stage they have to learn to deal with it.
Remember how Chilvers took the penalty at Crystal Palace?
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 10:05]

Indeed!

I see from the OMB we are in 'Draw B' for the second round, meaning we will play away at Exeter City, Swindon Town, Leyton Orient or Cambridge United. Obviously this particular exile would prefer Swindon, Exeter is doable for an evening game, but the bulk of the U's faithful will presumably be hoping for Orient or an evening at the Shabby.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024