Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Late Postponements Question 17:23 - Jan 9 with 4388 viewsTVOS1907

Can anyone recall any other late postponements of away games, similar to yesterday, when fans were already at the ground?

Mansfield in Feb 1996 was a very late call off, as were the infamous Wycombe trips in 1993/94, but are there any others from the olden days (KidBingo, any games from the 1920s, for example?) that people can remember?

I might need a page filler...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Late Postponements Question on 17:29 - Jan 9 with 3511 views442Dale

Preston in 86/87 when a blizzard hit meaning we couldn’t play on their plastic pitch, leading to the famous 4-2 win when it was rearranged.

Not sure which game was postponed, but remember a tale of Dale fans heading for the cup upset at West Brom v Woking in 1991.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Late Postponements Question on 17:31 - Jan 9 with 3487 viewsRAFCBLUE

Tranmere away - Boxing Day 2013 when the roof blew off

A number of games at Wycombe in the 90’s. Memories of three goes at an away game one season. 1994/95?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Late Postponements Question on 17:36 - Jan 9 with 3447 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 17:31 - Jan 9 by RAFCBLUE

Tranmere away - Boxing Day 2013 when the roof blew off

A number of games at Wycombe in the 90’s. Memories of three goes at an away game one season. 1994/95?

I've already referenced Wycombe.

Tranmere's a good call, although it was 2011. Cheers.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 22:22]

Late Postponements Question on 17:37 - Jan 9 with 3444 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 17:29 - Jan 9 by 442Dale

Preston in 86/87 when a blizzard hit meaning we couldn’t play on their plastic pitch, leading to the famous 4-2 win when it was rearranged.

Not sure which game was postponed, but remember a tale of Dale fans heading for the cup upset at West Brom v Woking in 1991.

Hereford

Late Postponements Question on 18:00 - Jan 9 with 3375 viewsfermin

I remember travelling up to a midweek home game against Scarborough, I think, and I got as far as the Church Inn to meet people coming the other way saying it was off due to fog. That must have been pretty close to kick-off. I think it was in the Barrow era. I have got a feeling it was rearranged quite quickly.

I also remember the Preston game. I travelled up for that and waited at the train station for the next radio bulletin expecting it to be off but it was still on. I walked to Deepdale through the snow thinking it can only be on because of their plastic pitch. Paid to get in. Virtually no Preston fans there. We were all given a postcard to give us free admission to the rearranged game which I have still got as I couldn't make the new date.
Late Postponements Question on 18:14 - Jan 9 with 3314 viewsdawlishdale

I've arrived at several games only to find that they were off.

Wimbledon
Preston
Bradford
Wycombe

I have also been at a couple of home games that were called off late

Lincoln

Oldham ( abandoned after a few minutes)

Fulham ( abandoned at half time due to fog)
Late Postponements Question on 18:22 - Jan 9 with 3283 viewsZac_B

Late Postponements Question on 18:14 - Jan 9 by dawlishdale

Wimbledon
Preston
Bradford
Wycombe

Lincoln

I know this post is related to away games, but I remember a home game with Plymouth being called off at 2pm on a Saturday...and then the rearranged game being called at around tea-time on Tuesday!
Late Postponements Question on 18:22 - Jan 9 with 3283 views442Dale

Late Postponements Question on 18:00 - Jan 9 by fermin

I remember travelling up to a midweek home game against Scarborough, I think, and I got as far as the Church Inn to meet people coming the other way saying it was off due to fog. That must have been pretty close to kick-off. I think it was in the Barrow era. I have got a feeling it was rearranged quite quickly.

I also remember the Preston game. I travelled up for that and waited at the train station for the next radio bulletin expecting it to be off but it was still on. I walked to Deepdale through the snow thinking it can only be on because of their plastic pitch. Paid to get in. Virtually no Preston fans there. We were all given a postcard to give us free admission to the rearranged game which I have still got as I couldn't make the new date.

Scarborough was 93/94 under Sutton. Cambridge under Barrow and Barnet in the Wembley season were another couple of late ones at home too.

Which is slightly off topic, I know!

Login to get fewer ads

Late Postponements Question on 18:38 - Jan 9 with 3239 viewsmingthemerciless

Wasn’t there a home game with Burnley called off because of a waterlogged pitch ? I remember a game against Tranmere at Spotland in the mid 1960’s. They kicked off in really bad fog, I was stood behind the goals at the Church Inn end and you couldn’t see the players on half way. It was called off after about 20 minutes.
Late Postponements Question on 19:29 - Jan 9 with 3146 viewsSuddenLad

Late Postponements Question on 18:38 - Jan 9 by mingthemerciless

Wasn’t there a home game with Burnley called off because of a waterlogged pitch ? I remember a game against Tranmere at Spotland in the mid 1960’s. They kicked off in really bad fog, I was stood behind the goals at the Church Inn end and you couldn’t see the players on half way. It was called off after about 20 minutes.

Pretty sure that was a night match. I was with my Grandad at that game.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Late Postponements Question on 20:00 - Jan 9 with 3076 viewsTVOS1907

Wimbledon
Preston
Bradford
Wycombe

Lincoln

In what seasons were the Wimbledon and Bradford games? 1980ish?

Late Postponements Question on 20:09 - Jan 9 with 3057 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 18:22 - Jan 9 by 442Dale

Scarborough was 93/94 under Sutton. Cambridge under Barrow and Barnet in the Wembley season were another couple of late ones at home too.

Which is slightly off topic, I know!

Scarborough in 1993/94 was called off on Boxing Day and initially rearranged for 12th April, according to the first programme of January 1994.

By the time of the next home programme in January 1994, the Scarborough game had been brought forward to 1st March, when it was played.

I wonder if fermin is referring to 1996/97? We were due to play Scarborough on Tuesday 19th November (PP) and Tuesday 28th January (PP). The game was played on Tuesday 4th February.

In fact, Scarborough were unlucky at Spotland, as they were a late PP for a waterlogged pitch in October 1998, with the game being played a month later in between an FA Cup tie and its replay against them.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 20:10]

Late Postponements Question on 20:11 - Jan 9 with 3042 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 18:38 - Jan 9 by mingthemerciless

Burnley match was Easter Saturday 1992.

Late Postponements Question on 20:15 - Jan 9 with 3033 views442Dale

Late Postponements Question on 20:09 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

Scarborough in 1993/94 was called off on Boxing Day and initially rearranged for 12th April, according to the first programme of January 1994.

By the time of the next home programme in January 1994, the Scarborough game had been brought forward to 1st March, when it was played.

I wonder if fermin is referring to 1996/97? We were due to play Scarborough on Tuesday 19th November (PP) and Tuesday 28th January (PP). The game was played on Tuesday 4th February.

In fact, Scarborough were unlucky at Spotland, as they were a late PP for a waterlogged pitch in October 1998, with the game being played a month later in between an FA Cup tie and its replay against them.

Ah, my mistake on that one.

That November postponement is quite early in the season so could have been fog. Though January does stick in the mind for when I thought it was 94!

Late Postponements Question on 20:19 - Jan 9 with 3003 views442Dale

Late Postponements Question on 20:11 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

Burnley match was Easter Saturday 1992.

And was also called off again I think before being played after the official end of the season.

Late Postponements Question on 20:27 - Jan 9 with 2965 viewsEllDale

The postponed match with a lot of significance was the home game versus Southend in 1968/69
Should have been played on the last Monday night in March but called off around 7.00pm due to the pitch being waterlogged. Totally confusion with people milling round in the car park unsure of what was happening. I believe that the players had already got changed.
It was rearranged for Saturday May 10th and we all remember what happened then!
Late Postponements Question on 20:41 - Jan 9 with 2931 viewsDenbighshireDale

Was the original cup tie at Old Trafford in 1986 called off pretty late or was it just my brother and I not knowing and turning up in Manchester fully expecting it to go ahead despite many other postponements elsewhere?!
Late Postponements Question on 20:54 - Jan 9 with 2870 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 20:41 - Jan 9 by DenbighshireDale

Was the original cup tie at Old Trafford in 1986 called off pretty late or was it just my brother and I not knowing and turning up in Manchester fully expecting it to go ahead despite many other postponements elsewhere?!

It was postponed late on the Saturday morning, so around 3-4 hours before kick-off.

Late Postponements Question on 22:21 - Jan 9 with 2740 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 17:29 - Jan 9 by 442Dale

Seems the Hereford game was called off at around 11am, but in the days before mobiles and t'internet, the first Dale fans heard about it was when the Supporters' Club coach was heading south on the M6 or M5 and saw the team coach heading north!

Late Postponements Question on 22:26 - Jan 9 with 2720 viewsShun

Wimbledon
Preston
Bradford
Wycombe

Lincoln

I remember that Oldham home game, it was absolutely biblical rain and I was surprised it even kicked off. I'm glad it was because we got to go home and watch a Gareth Bale masterclass as Spurs beat Inter Milan and Maicon, one of the best right-backs in the world, was terrorised.
Late Postponements Question on 22:56 - Jan 9 with 2672 viewsR17ALE

Late Postponements Question on 22:21 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

Seems the Hereford game was called off at around 11am, but in the days before mobiles and t'internet, the first Dale fans heard about it was when the Supporters' Club coach was heading south on the M6 or M5 and saw the team coach heading north!

I was driving to that game and was on the A49 around Leominster, when the radio announced it as a late postponement. We looked at the fixtures in the paper for an alternative match and decided to head for the top-flight F A Cup game Villa v Wimbledon, spurning the chance to go to WBA. From memory, the mood in the car was the chance to stand on the Holte End, which then was the largest terrace in the country. Only about 17,000 turned up for a 1-1 draw, but my mate was enthusing about a blonde haired Wimbledon player who he said would go far in the game.

He didn't. It was Warren Barton. Ooh Aah Paul McGrath starred for Villa. And the Holte End was massive. We were near the back and still 80 yards from the pitch.

The good old days when you could rock up with a fiver and get in!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Late Postponements Question on 23:37 - Jan 9 with 2609 viewsTVOS1907

Late Postponements Question on 22:56 - Jan 9 by R17ALE

I was driving to that game and was on the A49 around Leominster, when the radio announced it as a late postponement. We looked at the fixtures in the paper for an alternative match and decided to head for the top-flight F A Cup game Villa v Wimbledon, spurning the chance to go to WBA. From memory, the mood in the car was the chance to stand on the Holte End, which then was the largest terrace in the country. Only about 17,000 turned up for a 1-1 draw, but my mate was enthusing about a blonde haired Wimbledon player who he said would go far in the game.

He didn't. It was Warren Barton. Ooh Aah Paul McGrath starred for Villa. And the Holte End was massive. We were near the back and still 80 yards from the pitch.

The good old days when you could rock up with a fiver and get in!

The Hereford info was from the Supporters Club notes in the Dale v Blackpool programme, 12th Jan 1991. They said the pitch was inspected at 11am.

Late Postponements Question on 23:54 - Jan 9 with 2585 viewsfermin

Late Postponements Question on 20:09 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

It must be one of those on 1996/7 as I wouldn't have come on boxing day. Only missed about 4 games that season and I was sure it was under Barrow. Another I missed was the second rearranged game away at Chester - I travelled up for the first midweek rearrangement but that was called off about 5pm and I half-expected that one.
Late Postponements Question on 00:23 - Jan 10 with 2537 viewsHopwoodblue

Preston at home Boxing Day 97 ? Frozen pitch they refused to play
We sat in the Ratcliffe all afternoon it was just the pub in those days before it was knocked through at the front.
Darlington away late 70’s ? /80. We phoned from a phone box on the A1 to find out it was postponed then the supporters club coach turned round and we went to Leeds instead think they were playing Coventry City
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong 😊
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 0:24]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Late Postponements Question on 05:46 - Jan 10 with 2464 viewsNigeriamark

Late Postponements Question on 20:00 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

In what seasons were the Wimbledon and Bradford games? 1980ish?

The Wimbledon game was the year Aston Villa won the league. I drove to the game and in those days many cars, including mine, did not have car radios. The game had been called off about 9.00 but we didn't know ( had set off about 8.30). I think it was the only game called off in the UK & it was for a waterlogged pitch. We sneaked to the edge of the pitch & there was basically a puddle in 1 penalty area. Rumour has it they wanted the game off & I think in those days a club could call a ref to tell him the pitch was unfit early if the other team are travelling a long way.( as I say may only be rumour).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024