Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS 11:53 - Jan 28 with 2194 viewsdurham_exile

After the magnificent victory at Salford last Saturday and definitely our best performance of the season since Barrow away the U’s led by the indefatigable WB, JD and DH must do it all over again at home to Swindon Town on Saturday.

Now the JSCS has been far from a fortress since its inception, but the fact that we are seeking our first back-to-back league wins this season speaks volumes about our one constant that of our inconsistency. It is all about reaching 50 points as quickly as possible and then pushing on to see what else we can achieve. 21 games, 63 points at stake and garnering 50 of those would ensure a top seven finish. Realistically unachievable, but not impossible. Let’s see what the team can manage.

Table — Selected positions:

6 Swindon 25 41
7 Mansfield 25 41

22 COL U 25 25
23 Scunny 27 19
24 Oldham 25 18

The U’s have done quite a bit of transfer business this window with seven players arriving: Dallison, Coxe (made permanent), Kenlock, Huws, Edwards, Andrews and Akinde.

Now WB said this week that we would be signing a quality player (now don’t spoil it with sarcasm Ed.) Apparently there may be more business to be done. Just as long as it involves incoming rather than outgoing players I don’t mind.

Last Saturday we played solidly at the back, got the ball forward quickly, Freddie Sears was on fire, and everyone knew their role and stuck to the task. If only we had performed like that earlier in the season, we would now be pushing for promotion instead of looking over our shoulder.

I do hope that Cole Skuse has no long-lasting problem with his eye injury because he looked accomplished once again and was very unlucky not to score in the third minute with a superb long-range shot.

Equally Corie Andrews picked up an injury as he scored that memorable third goal.
Club Captain Tommy Smith has joined up with his New Zealand team mates in Abu Dhabi and will miss the next two games. His form of late has been patchy but we have strength in depth within the centre half positions and so no great harm done.

So, by my reckoning 28 players in the squad and 18 selectable at any one time.

Interim Head Coach Wayne Brown
Asst Coach Joe Dunne
Asst Coach Dave Huzzey
Physio Vicky Athey

Squad with their Numbers:
29 Shamal George
1 Dean Gerken
44 Ted Collins

2 MWH
4 Luke Chambers
5 Tommy Smith
15 Tom Dallison
18 Tom Eastman
22 Junior Tchamadeu
27 Cameron Coxe
40 Frankie Terry
17 Myles Kenlock
3 Ryan Clampin

6 Brendan Wiredu
7 Luke Hannant
8 Cole Skuse
21 Gene Kennedy
14 Noah Chilvers
10 Alan Judge
28 Emyr Huws
37 Chay Cooper

12 Owura Edwards
9 Frank Nouble
11 Freddie Sears
16 Corie Andrews
19 Armando Dobra
34 Samson Tovide
24 John Akinde

I would select the following 20 players as the best fit to get us up the league this season:

George, Gerken, MWH, Chambers, Dallison, Eastman, Tchamadeu, Kenlock, Clampin, Coxe, Wiredu, Hannant, Skuse, Chilvers, Judge, Huws, Edwards, Sears, Andrews, Akinde

The signing of 6ft 2ins John Akinde on a 2.5year deal from Gillingham at the age of 32 suggests that he is a WB player and will offer a new dimension, height in the box to support the eager running of Freddie Sears. But will WB be bold enough to play two strikers. I do hope so because at this level, there are plenty of opportunities via crosses, balls played through and set plays. In any event Akinde must play in the Centre Forward position.

Sadly, his arrival means that we will not pursue other strikers. I really do feel however that it is time to call time on Big Frank’s Colchester career. Nothing puts that into perspective more than his feeble attempt to convert a late chance towards the end of the game last week. The faithful all willed him on and gave him tremendous support, but I am afraid that he has lost his sparkle, confidence and ability to put the ball in the back of the net. I know that he hasn’t played very much of late but earlier in the season he was played on a regular basis. His best position is on the wide left, but we have pacier, quicker and more mobile players in those positions. What I am saying is that we do not have any room in this 28-man squad for passengers. Perhaps harsh but true.

Another player who has been a stalwart for the club is Tom Eastman. Mr reliable at the heart of the defence but tellingly he was left in Colchester last week and I wonder whether the club have fallen out of love with Tom. I hope not but we will have to wait and see.

Regarding a match day 18 WB has had the last week to work with the players especially the new recruits and so will know who is in the frame for tomorrow’s game.

I would go with the following XI plus the additional 7 substitutes against Swindon
Town.

George

MWH Chambers Dallison Kenlock

Skuse Chilvers

Wiredu Judge

Sears Akinde

Subs:
Gerken, Tchamadeu, Huws, Andrews, Edwards, Hannant, Eastman

If Skuse is not fit, then Huws would come into the team and Tovide would join the bench.

21 games to garner initially 25 points and then a further 25 if all goes to plan.

Remaining Fixtures:
Swindon H
Rochdale H
Orient A
Mansfield A
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Hartlepool H
Oldham H
Orient H
PV H
Scunny A
Bristol Rovers A
FGR H
Tranmere H
Harrogate A
Stevenage H
Exeter A
Bradford H
Newport A
Walsall H
Hartlepool A

Weather tomorrow in Colchester is scheduled for a balmy 13 degrees Celsius and mostly cloudy. No rain.

Let us hope that the combination of the improved performance, the new signings and the decent weather boosts the attendance at the JSCS to push the 3,500 mark.

Ben Garner heads a Swindon side who blow hot and cold. They are handily placed for the play offs and will offer a stern test but our new found confidence will prevail. I almost forgot the score prediction. 3-0 Colchester (again) with a debut goal for Big John and Freddie Sears to weigh in with his usual goal that was deserved last week but didn’t come and Brendan Wiredu to power in a shot from the edge of the box.

Pity we didn’t sign MB from Dundee, but you can’t have everything when you are 90th in the league but hopefully not for too much longer.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:01 - Jan 29 with 930 viewsburnsieespana

At least a point.
Hope Gerks is fit and not in squad today because of an injury or illness as going to be needed.
Eastman will at least be well rested to replace Chambers.
How many games will George and Chambers be suspended?
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:04 - Jan 29 with 923 viewsMoor_Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

An inquest is surely required.

But an invaluable point

Well done.

Up the U's

Remarkable spirit from the nine. Undeserved point but we'll have it.
What's more important is two straight reds.
Brown has to act on that. Deano must be in goal for the foreseeable. Eastman too. And get rid of Skuse. Useless. Cooper or Kennedy could do no worse. Tuesday night team selection intriguingly poised but we must play strikers not leave them on the bench. Can't stand Swindon so having a quiet smile.

Moor Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:07 - Jan 29 with 905 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:01 - Jan 29 by burnsieespana

At least a point.
Hope Gerks is fit and not in squad today because of an injury or illness as going to be needed.
Eastman will at least be well rested to replace Chambers.
How many games will George and Chambers be suspended?

Definitely three games but could be more for George who kicked a man when he was down.

We want an inquiry led by Sue Gray

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:11 - Jan 29 with 901 viewsMoor_Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:07 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Definitely three games but could be more for George who kicked a man when he was down.

We want an inquiry led by Sue Gray

Up the U's

RC will be pleased with the extra 1200 crowd.

Moor Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:26 - Jan 29 with 883 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:11 - Jan 29 by Moor_Pinot

RC will be pleased with the extra 1200 crowd.

Yes 3327 with 605 from Swindon

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:27 - Jan 29 with 880 viewsgerry_us

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:26 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Yes 3327 with 605 from Swindon

Up the U's

He'll be more pleased with the point.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:37 - Jan 29 with 873 viewsnoah4x4

Feels like a win.

George deserved a red, but so did their player that fouled him. Referee was incrediby one sided.

I didn't even see Chambers leave the pitch (my Kammy moment?), but then nor did my three colleagues sat with me!

A miracle result as Swindon should have been out if sight given their dominance.

Akinde, just a big lump, but the ball did brush his head before Huws scored. Hence, gained an 'assist' for it, but that would be generous. He probably should have stuck it in the net himself.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:42 - Jan 29 with 868 viewsthrillseeker

A totally undeserved point based on performance.

Wayne Brown is not the answer. His tactics were appalling and exactly the same as when he was previously caretaker manager.

I missed the George sending off so can't comment

Chambers - no arguments - last man

I thought Swindon were one of the better teams to visit us and if they had a striker that took the chances they created we would have been dead and buried by half time.

The Swindon fans were stunned into a golden silence

Now I said it was an undeserved point based on performance but it was definitely a deserved point based on heart. A point is a point
Login to get fewer ads

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 19:34 - Jan 29 with 806 viewsburnsieespana

Having escaped today we badly need to win on Tuesday
Must admit the keeper situation gives me concern but feel Eastman a good enough replacement for Chambers.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 19:59 - Jan 29 with 790 viewsbwildered

WB needs to buy a lottery ticket after this performance. U’s given the run around by a club McG walked away from pre season, just shows how off the pace we are as a club.
Still feels like a defeat although we salvaged a point with nine men. U’s totally uninspiring throughout with WB ringing the changes far to late, ( where have we seen this before ).
A points a point however we acquire it, with a set piece only likely to score from in the final death minutes with the visitors hitting the self destruct button. Despite getting a red, Chambers was MOTM at the back for the U’s with some crucial interceptions.
Spirits up, but execution in performance completely off the pace against the visitors. However start with eleven on Tues is a positive, just need to put three points on the board with a standard victory after this get out of jail game.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 21:05 - Jan 29 with 764 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 19:59 - Jan 29 by bwildered

WB needs to buy a lottery ticket after this performance. U’s given the run around by a club McG walked away from pre season, just shows how off the pace we are as a club.
Still feels like a defeat although we salvaged a point with nine men. U’s totally uninspiring throughout with WB ringing the changes far to late, ( where have we seen this before ).
A points a point however we acquire it, with a set piece only likely to score from in the final death minutes with the visitors hitting the self destruct button. Despite getting a red, Chambers was MOTM at the back for the U’s with some crucial interceptions.
Spirits up, but execution in performance completely off the pace against the visitors. However start with eleven on Tues is a positive, just need to put three points on the board with a standard victory after this get out of jail game.

Have only just seen the two minutes of sky highlights and they missed the alleged stamping by Shamal George.

Frankly I have reached the stage where I'm not bothered how we get the 50 points and don't care as long as we survive.

But I want a decent permanent manager to be appointed who is not part of the RC nepotism.

Chambers should only miss one game whilst if the Authorities want to throw the book at George it could be more than three games.

Let's hope not.

Emergency keeper cover required for say one month to take the pressure of young Collins.

Mind you having watched Endurance at St James Park he could do a great job for three games.

I feel much more upbeat after a win and a draw but we still haven't managed back to back victories in the league.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 22:55 - Jan 29 with 733 viewswessex_exile

Just got back from a very enjoyable day out with the Spireites. I'll be honest, following the BBC text updates and looking at the game stats from a pub in Eastleigh, I was firmly expecting to see Swinedon's goal count click over to 2 at any point, so imagine my delight when up popped Huws in injury-time for the equaliser. Not bothered if it was deserved or not, felt like a win to me.

Chesterfield snatched a late one too, to win 1-0, with an absolute belter of a volley from Curtis Weston. Mind you, it was the only flash of brilliance from what was otherwise a poor match. I'm not deluding myself into believing it's always like that in the National League, and we're hardly Brazil ourselves, but the difference in class from League 2 was tangible on this evidence. Still a cracking day out though, great support from the travelling Spireites, Eastleigh is a tidy little ground, and the pasties were both tasty and approaching the core temperature of the sun.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 23:44 - Jan 29 with 712 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 22:55 - Jan 29 by wessex_exile

Just got back from a very enjoyable day out with the Spireites. I'll be honest, following the BBC text updates and looking at the game stats from a pub in Eastleigh, I was firmly expecting to see Swinedon's goal count click over to 2 at any point, so imagine my delight when up popped Huws in injury-time for the equaliser. Not bothered if it was deserved or not, felt like a win to me.

Chesterfield snatched a late one too, to win 1-0, with an absolute belter of a volley from Curtis Weston. Mind you, it was the only flash of brilliance from what was otherwise a poor match. I'm not deluding myself into believing it's always like that in the National League, and we're hardly Brazil ourselves, but the difference in class from League 2 was tangible on this evidence. Still a cracking day out though, great support from the travelling Spireites, Eastleigh is a tidy little ground, and the pasties were both tasty and approaching the core temperature of the sun.

Wessex pleased you enjoyed the tea time kick off.

Interesting that Maidenhead also scored late on to secure a point at Wrexham and it was McClousky who scored it.

I hope that we never find out what the standard of the National League is like.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 08:15 - Jan 30 with 685 viewsnoah4x4

Sun's temperature is 15,000,000 degrees, so a bit of an exaggeration. But good to hear the grub was good at Eastleigh. I suspect Jobserve Stadium pies get exposed to something similar. Cooked at 100° then reheated 150,000x before sale.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 10:21 - Jan 30 with 646 viewswessex_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 08:15 - Jan 30 by noah4x4

Sun's temperature is 15,000,000 degrees, so a bit of an exaggeration. But good to hear the grub was good at Eastleigh. I suspect Jobserve Stadium pies get exposed to something similar. Cooked at 100° then reheated 150,000x before sale.

LOL, indeed - no exaggeration about the goal though!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:20 - Jan 30 with 601 viewsmfb_cufc

George intends to appeal over the red card, as the club target a new keeper.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19885415.colchester-united-target-new-keeper

mfb

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:06 - Jan 30 with 584 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:20 - Jan 30 by mfb_cufc

George intends to appeal over the red card, as the club target a new keeper.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19885415.colchester-united-target-new-keeper

I still haven't seen the alleged incident.

The only problem with appealing is that we are likely to be hit with one or two games added to the ban. Sony because they rarely overturn violent conduct.

And we're not a Premier League team!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 30 with 573 viewsnoah4x4

I saw it clearly. George kicked out at the player that clattered into him. Straight red justified, The U’s probably should have been awarded a free kick, but we got little out of the referee. The players untangled their legs and George stepped away before turning and aiming the kick. I wonder if it was a response to an unsavoury comment? No excuse, but the U’s frustration with the referee grew from kick off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024