Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale and Athens 12:14 - Feb 23 with 2772 viewspioneer

Reading a new book on cricket journalist Neville Cardus during histime in Australia. He wasnt the country’s biggest fan and wrote to a friend “Compared with Sydney or Melbourne as far as culture and common sense go Rochdale is as Athens under Pericles”

You never hear anyone talk about Oldham in that way!

UTDNFS
Rochdale and Athens on 13:15 - Feb 23 with 2696 viewsD_Alien

Further plans for transforming the town centre, around the town hall

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/144956/plans-for

When completed, there'll be absolutely nothing comparable in Greater Manchester, and an image should be prepared for the COA electronic screen to flash up if opposition fans dare sing about Rochdale being a shithole

Of course, if you go looking for poor areas, you'll find them, if that's your mindset...

(Not you, pioneer)

[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 13:15]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale and Athens on 20:51 - Feb 23 with 2482 viewsmikehunt

When I was little the Sunken Gardens area looked like that.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Rochdale and Athens on 21:26 - Feb 23 with 2450 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale and Athens on 20:51 - Feb 23 by mikehunt

When I was little the Sunken Gardens area looked like that.

The memorial gardens (sunken) behind the cenotaph were rejuvenated last year too

Rochdale and Athens on 21:01 - Feb 24 with 2263 viewsdownunder

Rochdale and Athens on 13:15 - Feb 23 by D_Alien

Further plans for transforming the town centre, around the town hall

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/144956/plans-for

When completed, there'll be absolutely nothing comparable in Greater Manchester, and an image should be prepared for the COA electronic screen to flash up if opposition fans dare sing about Rochdale being a shithole

Of course, if you go looking for poor areas, you'll find them, if that's your mindset...

(Not you, pioneer)

[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 13:15]

Looks good. A very positive plan IMHO. The problem will be the lack of nearby car parking. If you want the people to come, it will need some sort of link with the trams, to a free car park not too far away.
Rochdale and Athens on 21:13 - Feb 24 with 2238 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale and Athens on 21:01 - Feb 24 by downunder

Looks good. A very positive plan IMHO. The problem will be the lack of nearby car parking. If you want the people to come, it will need some sort of link with the trams, to a free car park not too far away.

You're right, but the parking isn't at all bad now, especially with the addition at the new hotel end of the Riverside development. Its 3 hours free too, which is much improved on how it used to be

I've had far less problems parking in the past couple of years than for decades. Removing it from the town hall square and parts of the Esplanade also creates a more pleasant experience

Just to return to pioneer's initial point; it was also about the level of conversation/debate compared to Aussie metropolitan areas. I'd say we're definitely ahead of Oldham & Bury but at the same time i'd like to think us Rochdalians still give short shrift when necessary, using as few choice words as necessary!

[Post edited 24 Feb 2022 21:15]

Rochdale and Athens on 16:17 - Feb 25 with 2067 viewsBigKindo

Rochdale and Athens on 21:13 - Feb 24 by D_Alien

You're right, but the parking isn't at all bad now, especially with the addition at the new hotel end of the Riverside development. Its 3 hours free too, which is much improved on how it used to be

I've had far less problems parking in the past couple of years than for decades. Removing it from the town hall square and parts of the Esplanade also creates a more pleasant experience

Just to return to pioneer's initial point; it was also about the level of conversation/debate compared to Aussie metropolitan areas. I'd say we're definitely ahead of Oldham & Bury but at the same time i'd like to think us Rochdalians still give short shrift when necessary, using as few choice words as necessary!

[Post edited 24 Feb 2022 21:15]

Parking at the Riverside development behind M & S is not free. It is pay and display. £1 for the first hour, £ 2 for 3 hours. It was up to 3 hours free parking in and around the Town Hall Square. I understand that the Mecca Bingo parking is also not free.
Rochdale and Athens on 22:51 - Feb 25 with 1922 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale and Athens on 16:17 - Feb 25 by BigKindo

Parking at the Riverside development behind M & S is not free. It is pay and display. £1 for the first hour, £ 2 for 3 hours. It was up to 3 hours free parking in and around the Town Hall Square. I understand that the Mecca Bingo parking is also not free.

Thanks for the correction

I'd wrongly assumed it was free, due to the recent policy of 3 hours free in council carparks. Are those you refer to privately run?

There's plenty of free parking in other places, but it's useful knowing where it is, and isn't

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024