Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon 22:01 - Apr 14 with 1852 viewsdurham_exile

So, after the disappointment of the shocking defeat to Luke Norris and his merry band from Stevenage the U’s travel on Good Friday to do battle with Jevani Brown and his merrier men, the Grecians at St James’ Park for the 1pm early kick off.

Sadly, after the heroics at Harrogate several of the U’s players were already “on the beach” for the Stevenage game and it showed in a disgraceful performance and result.

A win would have surely consigned the Boro to the drop with Scunny and the three points would have secured the U’s survival. But of course, as we know if you support the U’s then expect the unexpected.

WB of course hardly helped with a poor line up showing little attacking intent handing Stevenage the initiative. So, with 5 games left we still need those three points to be certain of remaining a league club next season.

Exeter A
Bradford H
Newport A
Walsall H
Hartlepool A

A defeat tomorrow is not the end of the world but Bradford at home is going to be tough and then Newport are fighting for promotion points too.

Will WB be brave with the line up tomorrow. Sadly, I doubt it. Expect Freddie Sears to plough a lonely furrow up front in front of 8,000 Devonians.

However, we are chasing our third double of the season having defeated Exeter at the JSCS 3-1 in November. We ended their 20-game unbeaten run that day and we can spoil the party tomorrow.

Selected Table:
FGR 40 79
Exeter 40 74
PV 41 72
Mansfield 40 69
Northampton 41 67
Bristol R 41 67
Newport 41 66
BOTTOM
COL U 41 45
Barrow 40 37
Oldham 41 37
Stevenage 40 37
Scunny 41 24

I think that WB will play:

George
Coxe Chambers Eastman Kenlock
Wiredu Skuse
Wright Judge Chilvers
Sears

BUT he needs to show some courage and line up as follows:

George

Coxe Chambers Eastman Kenlock

Wiredu Skuse Chilvers

Judge

Akinde Sears

Subs
Hornby MWH Huws Andrews Tchamadeu Wright Hannant

Despite the hype and the early kick off we can win at St James’ Park, a ground where for the past 11 years we have had a shocking record. I have witnessed more defeats and drawn games at Exeter since I have supported the U’s and so it is probably just as well that I will not be there tomorrow.

Wessex will be making the journey and I have read that Exeter are expecting a bigger crowd than when they played Liverpool. Amazing but true. Of course, Ryan Bowman will not be playing and so there will be no repeat of the 6-1 drubbing fortunately.

If WB is brave, I think we can actually win 3-2 and spoil the promotion party. Big John’s (who was a Grecian target) first goal for the club, Noah Chilvers and an Alan Judge special.

Yes, I genuinely think that we can win. The players owe the faithful a performance after the misery against Stevenage.

The weather will be mild 16 degrees Celsius and cloudy but a chance of a shower or two.

Frankly it is time that WB was brave and played two up from the start. Akinde and Sears will offer much more than a lone striker. Why sign Akinde on a two-and-a-half-year deal if he is going to warm the bench all the time.

Give Corie Andrews some game time too. WB clearly doesn’t like him but I do and think he has immense talent and skill.

Play the trio of Wiredu, Skuse and Chilvers to control the midfield and tuck Judge in just behind the front two. Com eon you know it makes sense.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game and don’t forget iFollow are screening it for a tenner.

Happy Easter

Up the U’s

[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 23:52]

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 22:17 - Apr 14 with 1812 viewswessex_exile

Nice one Durham. I too think we have it about us to spoil the party, and it won't be through lack of effort from the Faithful. Big crowds can sometimes be big burdens once a game drags on, so if we keep it tight for the first half, stay in touch, who knows what the Barside Roar can achieve?

"Here for the Col U, you're only here for the Col U!"

Up the U's!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 06:54 - Apr 15 with 1750 viewsnoah4x4

Sorry to disagree Durham, but you are showing too much faith in Akinde, who must be the worst signing in our history. Also, Wright looked totally disinterested last week. I suspect that avoiding our goal difference worsening by more than -1 could be a good result whilst others below us struggle for points too. Our joy might come from there being two worse teams than us.

Today, I am in favour of parking the bus, one up front, and hoping to steal a point as our forward options other than Sears are uninspiring. Might possibly nick a free kick/corner goal from Chambers or Eastman against the run of play. What galls me is that players like Jevani Brown excel under good management yet don't deliver for us. Cowling's management recruitment policies must end with WB. Indeed, there is only the tea lady left as regards internal appointments. An ugly draw will do. Think we will escape the drop this season, but fear a third escape in three years will elude us unless there are major changes. Humes Out!
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 09:42 - Apr 15 with 1711 viewsdurham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 06:54 - Apr 15 by noah4x4

Sorry to disagree Durham, but you are showing too much faith in Akinde, who must be the worst signing in our history. Also, Wright looked totally disinterested last week. I suspect that avoiding our goal difference worsening by more than -1 could be a good result whilst others below us struggle for points too. Our joy might come from there being two worse teams than us.

Today, I am in favour of parking the bus, one up front, and hoping to steal a point as our forward options other than Sears are uninspiring. Might possibly nick a free kick/corner goal from Chambers or Eastman against the run of play. What galls me is that players like Jevani Brown excel under good management yet don't deliver for us. Cowling's management recruitment policies must end with WB. Indeed, there is only the tea lady left as regards internal appointments. An ugly draw will do. Think we will escape the drop this season, but fear a third escape in three years will elude us unless there are major changes. Humes Out!

Noah, I don't think John Akinde is our worst signing, we can all think of far worse.

My point is why sign him on a 2.5 year deal and then not play him.
Yes he suffered COVID as did many other Col U players but he is recovered now and when I have seen him play he bothers defences and wins headers and his hold up play is good.

The injury to Owura Edwards was a real blow because he is a really good player and has been missed but he has returned to Bristol City for rest and recuperation.

If there is any possibility of signing him in the closed season then we should do so.

I am totally against any attempt to park the bus. To do so would simply reinforce our inability to survive 90 minutes of attack v defence.

You will have seen that when we do attack and play positive football we can unlock any defence in the league and score goals. The 3-0 victory at Salford remains our best result of the season because we totally dominated them and played some sparkling football. Team that day.

George
Tchamadeu Chambers (capt) Dallison Kenlock
Skuse Huws
Hannant Wiredu Judge
Sears
Subs
Gerken Smith Coxe Edwards Chilvers Andrews Nouble

Today IMHO is all about securing the three points that we need for survival. Parking the bus and losing 3-0 will do nothing for confidence or belief. Take the game to Exeter and we can win the game.

But you cannot expect Sears to lead the line all the time without adequate support. Big John offers that and is an old fashioned Centre Forward.

At the time that we were looking for a Centre Forward I opined the view that Max Biamou from Dundee United would be ideal and in some quarters it was suggested that he was a player of interest.

Perhaps we can rekindle that interest in the summer.

Anyway Up the U's

Time that we won at St James' Park

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:04 - Apr 15 with 1684 viewsLeadbelly

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 09:42 - Apr 15 by durham_exile

Noah, I don't think John Akinde is our worst signing, we can all think of far worse.

My point is why sign him on a 2.5 year deal and then not play him.
Yes he suffered COVID as did many other Col U players but he is recovered now and when I have seen him play he bothers defences and wins headers and his hold up play is good.

The injury to Owura Edwards was a real blow because he is a really good player and has been missed but he has returned to Bristol City for rest and recuperation.

If there is any possibility of signing him in the closed season then we should do so.

I am totally against any attempt to park the bus. To do so would simply reinforce our inability to survive 90 minutes of attack v defence.

You will have seen that when we do attack and play positive football we can unlock any defence in the league and score goals. The 3-0 victory at Salford remains our best result of the season because we totally dominated them and played some sparkling football. Team that day.

George
Tchamadeu Chambers (capt) Dallison Kenlock
Skuse Huws
Hannant Wiredu Judge
Sears
Subs
Gerken Smith Coxe Edwards Chilvers Andrews Nouble

Today IMHO is all about securing the three points that we need for survival. Parking the bus and losing 3-0 will do nothing for confidence or belief. Take the game to Exeter and we can win the game.

But you cannot expect Sears to lead the line all the time without adequate support. Big John offers that and is an old fashioned Centre Forward.

At the time that we were looking for a Centre Forward I opined the view that Max Biamou from Dundee United would be ideal and in some quarters it was suggested that he was a player of interest.

Perhaps we can rekindle that interest in the summer.

Anyway Up the U's

Time that we won at St James' Park

Why sign him on a 2.5 year deal? Enough said.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:45 - Apr 15 with 1674 viewsdurham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:04 - Apr 15 by Leadbelly

Why sign him on a 2.5 year deal? Enough said.

WB setting up 5,4,1

Sadly too predictable.

Up the defensive U's

Sean Dyche now available!!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:47 - Apr 15 with 1673 viewsgerry_us

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:45 - Apr 15 by durham_exile

WB setting up 5,4,1

Sadly too predictable.

Up the defensive U's

Sean Dyche now available!!!!!!!

He won't need to work. He had a contract to 2025...oooop!
And why do we not start with Tchamadeu?
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:53 - Apr 15 with 1672 viewsdurham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 12:47 - Apr 15 by gerry_us

He won't need to work. He had a contract to 2025...oooop!
And why do we not start with Tchamadeu?

Tchamadeu not defensive enough for WB!!!

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 13:20 - Apr 15 with 1662 viewsnoah4x4

Decent first 18 minutes. U's looking pretty solid. But Sears is isolated up front. George commanding his area. Exeter movement vastly better. We will do well to last out if Calamity Smith passes another to Jevani Brown!
Login to get fewer ads

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 13:35 - Apr 15 with 1655 viewsnoah4x4

1-0. Poor lazy defending again. Nothing up front. Now what Brown?
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 13:36 - Apr 15 with 1652 viewsthrillseeker

This has a 3 or 4-0 look about it.

We are being totally dominated

Need a change of tactic but not sure WB is capable
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:22 - Apr 15 with 1621 viewsgerry_us

We've had one-shot albeit off target
What more are you expecting?
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:23 - Apr 15 with 1621 viewsnoah4x4

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 13:36 - Apr 15 by thrillseeker

This has a 3 or 4-0 look about it.

We are being totally dominated

Need a change of tactic but not sure WB is capable

Think you are right Thrillo. 2-0.

Important we preserve our superior goal difference. Not sure if Akinde coming on will help or hinder.
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:54 - Apr 15 with 1590 viewsthrillseeker

2-0 has flattered us

I don't think Exeter got out of first gear.

Another appalling performance with poor tactics

WB is not for me

What a waste - sitting indoors on the best day of the year so far watching that
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:58 - Apr 15 with 1568 viewsnoah4x4

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:54 - Apr 15 by thrillseeker

2-0 has flattered us

WB is not for me

I had the U's on one screen and Somerset v Essex on another.

The cricket was worth watching....
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:59 - Apr 15 with 1566 viewsdurham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:54 - Apr 15 by thrillseeker

2-0 has flattered us

WB is not for me

Frankly the faithful that travelled today should be reimbursed.

WB is cluelueless but worse still setting up fail to prepare prepare to fail

Still 3 points needed.

Only 1 shot all game and that was off target.

A disgrace.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 15:40 - Apr 15 with 1532 viewsgerry_us

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 14:59 - Apr 15 by durham_exile

Frankly the faithful that travelled today should be reimbursed.

WB is cluelueless but worse still setting up fail to prepare prepare to fail

Still 3 points needed.

Only 1 shot all game and that was off target.

A disgrace.

Up the U's

Is this the way forward......1 shot even then off target in 90 minutes?
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 17:45 - Apr 15 with 1453 viewsLeadbelly

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 15:40 - Apr 15 by gerry_us

Is this the way forward......1 shot even then off target in 90 minutes?

Not the way forward but possibly what’s ahead.

The only positive is today’s results mean the Scummers are confirmed as a National League side for next season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 18:21 - Apr 15 with 1422 viewswessex_exile

Just got back, and that was poor by any measure. The U's had nothing, virtually no threat whatsoever. Whether it was the occasion or not, Exeter City weren't much better, but they had enough to steer past a woeful U's with ease. So much for a 'sell-out' though, empty seats all around, and for large parts of the game St James' Park was a library apart from the U's support, but you don't get any points for that unfortunately. Couldn't tell from the far end what our goal was chalked off for, as the linesman didn't flag I can only assume it was a dubious foul on their goalkeeper?

Judge improved things when he came on, but Akinde most certainly didn't I'm afraid. Eastman (fairly) cleaning out their left-winger was pleasing to see, though why the ref chose to call a stop for it when he was getting treatment off the pitch, where Tom had left him in a crumpled heap, is beyond me?

Some curious results elsewhere, not least Barrow's 4-0 win over FGR, but with Scunnie now confirmed as relegated, and Oldham losing 2-0 at home to the Cobblers, the U's are still 8pts plus goal difference clear and now with only 4 games to go.

Up the U's

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 18:37 - Apr 15 with 1404 viewsnoah4x4

I can help offer clarity Wessex...

According to the BBC website it was Akinde and offside. However, you thought it was dissallowed for a a foul on the keeper. I can confirm with utter authority (I-Follow and referee's signal) that it was handballed (I think by Wiredu) before bundling the ball into the net. Who would be a referee!

I feel bad now having not got up at 0400 to travel and for also correctly predicting a 2-0 win for the Grecians in the HGPL, which has taken me to 11 points (having two others spot on plus two outcomes). BTW, if anybody is interested, the Magnet is opening early for U's fans at noon on Monday. Not sure what the Victoria Inn is doing, but I expect a similar earlier opening for a bank holiday Monday (best check it out on FaceBook).
[Post edited 15 Apr 2022 18:39]
Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 19:04 - Apr 15 with 1373 viewswessex_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 18:37 - Apr 15 by noah4x4

I can help offer clarity Wessex...

According to the BBC website it was Akinde and offside. However, you thought it was dissallowed for a a foul on the keeper. I can confirm with utter authority (I-Follow and referee's signal) that it was handballed (I think by Wiredu) before bundling the ball into the net. Who would be a referee!

I feel bad now having not got up at 0400 to travel and for also correctly predicting a 2-0 win for the Grecians in the HGPL, which has taken me to 11 points (having two others spot on plus two outcomes). BTW, if anybody is interested, the Magnet is opening early for U's fans at noon on Monday. Not sure what the Victoria Inn is doing, but I expect a similar earlier opening for a bank holiday Monday (best check it out on FaceBook).
[Post edited 15 Apr 2022 18:39]

Cheers Noah - I didn't see a flag from the lino at the time, so unless I missed it, can only assume it was for the handball?

Nice scoring in the HGPL btw, and I think I'm right in saying if Rotherham beat Ipshit tomorrow, that's the end of their play-off aspirations - come on you Millers!

Up the U's

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 19:50 - Apr 15 with 1311 viewsdurham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 19:04 - Apr 15 by wessex_exile

Cheers Noah - I didn't see a flag from the lino at the time, so unless I missed it, can only assume it was for the handball?

Nice scoring in the HGPL btw, and I think I'm right in saying if Rotherham beat Ipshit tomorrow, that's the end of their play-off aspirations - come on you Millers!

I really don't know why I wasted my time bigging up the U's as soon as I saw the line up 451 (perhaps that should be Fahrenheit) it was always going to be poor.

But one shot and that not on target tells its own story.

WB is not the answer.

Perhaps he is happy with the team now on the beach.
But I'm not
Bradford will be tough and then Newport.
Walsall and Hartlepool are going to have to yield the three precious points that we need.
But it is not good enough.

The faithful should be reimbursed for today's non appearance

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hair today gone tomorrow for the Grecians as Super U's prevail in Devon on 20:48 - Apr 15 with 1236 viewsnoah4x4

I take some comfort from todays results. We remain 8 points and 6 goal difference ahead of Oldham with both teams having merely four games left. Stevenage and Barrow are less relevant to us avoiding relegation.

Assuming that we did lose all four, realistically, that now means Oldham must either win three OR win two plus draw two and still overcome the current GD disadvantage. Oldham have only won 9 from 42. Is it likely they are going to catch us when they must play Forest Green (away), Salford, Tranmere and Crawley?

Frankly, if we take a single point from our four games, Oldham then need at least three wins plus either a draw or big swing in GD. Losing only 2-0 and preserving our GD over Oldham (who also lost 2-0) was potentially a huge result, as was limiting our defeats to Bristol Rovers and Forest Green to a single goal.

Perhaps time to relax just a little, and worry about next season during which I fear we won't be so fortunate unless there are wholesale changes. It seems that de Souza left this week, let's hope it is Hume's next, whilst WB should get a big bonus and head back to Maldon & Tiptree. Only with a radical clear out will we get the management team we need. No self respecting proven manager will work for the current regime. Wonder what Phil Brown and Steve Evans took to the Barrow and Stevenage Easter Party today!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024