Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 12:44 - Jul 25 with 28432 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the first game of the season at a newly promoted side away from home. The likely outcome is obvious but we have to have some hope. A draw would be decent, these first games of the season away from home are no guide but can often end in defeat.

Away Fans Info
A decent place to meet is at the union club and the owner opens his front and back doors to away fans for all Rotherham United matches. Here are the details.

The Union Club, ( Transport Club )
Union Street,
Masbrough,
Rotherham S61 1AA

The owner Paul is on 07565853802 if you want to contact him to open up at a certain time. They sell a wide range of beers, cider and have a decent pub food menu. About a ten minute walk to the stadium.

Rotherham ‘Facts Explained ’
Gordon Banks is from Rotherham, he was a goalkeeper who only had one eye when he retired. Gordon in currently dead. Pocket Handkerchief Lane, now there’s a name to work with ? It’s a name of a lane in Rotherham. It is said that in this lane the Pocket Handkerchief was first conceived. Not literally. However we think that could be a load of bollocks. The Chuckle brothers are from Rotherham. Nowadays they are a singular act as one of them is also currently dead. Saxon and Jive Bunny are from the town, hard to work out I know. Especially when legend has it that Barnsley is where Saxon hail from. Even more difficult is Jive Bunny. They do come from Rotherham and often got themselves in a right pickle.

We know you won’t believe this but the first football was made out of cheese in Rotherham. It was made by a chap called Billy Miller. Billy was the cousin of another Rotherham great named William of Hague. Hence the nickname ‘The Millers’ That’s possibly enough true, startling and fun facts for now.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/58075/big-swansea-city-s

Rotherham United: Viktor Johansson, Wes Harding, Dan Barlaser, Richard Wood (captain), Ben Wiles, Chiedozie Ogbene, Conor Washington, Jamie Lindsay, Shane Ferguson, Grant Hall, Cam Humphreys.

Substitutes: Josh Vickers, Cohen Bramall, Jamie McCart, Georgie Kelly, Scott High, Hakeem Odoffin, Peter Kioso.

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Nathan Wood, Kyle Naughton, Harry Darling; Joel Latibeaudiere, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Matty Sorinola; Joel Piroe, Jamie Paterson, Michael Obafemi.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Ryan Manning, Ben Cabango, Ollie Cooper, Olivier Ntcham, Liam Cullen, Cameron Congreve.

More to follow.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:11 - Jul 30 with 1797 viewskrunchykarrot

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:04 - Jul 30 by jojaca

Disappointing result, just wanted to see more impetus going forward. Still think wingbacks will be our weakness and today showed why Obafemi won't be playing Premier league soon, first touch awful.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 17:05]

Cant disagree with any of that.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:14 - Jul 30 with 1774 viewsThrasher6

Just off the playoffs in 7th...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:17 - Jul 30 with 1739 viewsExiledJack

Same as last season, lacking in urgency and ambition
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:26 - Jul 30 with 1653 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:17 - Jul 30 by ExiledJack

Exactly the same.Nothing improved.
Give dumb goal away
Have all the possession
Miss sitters
In 94th minute we pass it BACKWARDS to the half way line where Naughton strokes it sideways WALKING.

Yep,let's be positive

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:27 - Jul 30 with 1640 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:03 - Jul 30 by Thrasher6

Championship sides just lumping it into the box....! Pretty much 85% of the sides we will meet will do that. Rotherham are one of many...but their fans love it apparently.....

and we couldnt beat them.
ERGO,Nowt at all to crow about

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:31 - Jul 30 with 1603 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:17 - Jul 30 by ExiledJack

With respect,it's not a lack of ambition,simply bad coaching and appalling tactics borne out of misplaced arrogance. Right at the end instead of clearing the ball out of defence and try to get a smart winner,we still stroke it sideways and better teams will kill us. There are decent players in that squad. Piroe today though looked lethargic.

Nothing learnt at all.

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:32 - Jul 30 with 1603 viewsheatwave

Didn't expect too much. Therefore not disappointed as we seemed to have had a bit more goalmouth action than we were used to last season. Fisher had a very good game. Thankfully.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:33 - Jul 30 with 1598 viewslifelong

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:31 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

With respect,it's not a lack of ambition,simply bad coaching and appalling tactics borne out of misplaced arrogance. Right at the end instead of clearing the ball out of defence and try to get a smart winner,we still stroke it sideways and better teams will kill us. There are decent players in that squad. Piroe today though looked lethargic.

Nothing learnt at all.

Yawn.
Login to get fewer ads

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:38 - Jul 30 with 1562 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:33 - Jul 30 by lifelong

Yawn.

It was a yawn.You're right.
Fans will be walking away and you know it.
Do you advocate passing backwards in the 94th minute against Rotherham.
Now ,try to adhere to jonalot request and quit the snide attitude

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:39 - Jul 30 with 1564 viewslifelong

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:38 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

It was a yawn.You're right.
Fans will be walking away and you know it.
Do you advocate passing backwards in the 94th minute against Rotherham.
Now ,try to adhere to jonalot request and quit the snide attitude

Sigh.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:42 - Jul 30 with 1549 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Firstly it’s definitely two points dropped. That miss from Obafemi along with all his other touches was as bad as it gets. Their keepers save from Paterson was also very good.

Should have won. We created enough but didn’t take chances.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:46 - Jul 30 with 1531 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:31 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

Nothing learnt at all.

How can it be bad coaching? Unless Russ is telling the team to perform a well worked move to put the ball on an absolute plate for our unmarked striker one yard out and then scuff it in the opposite direction of the goal. I’m pretty sure our coaching team is not telling our strikers to do that.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:47 - Jul 30 with 1529 viewsCatullus

I do think this wingback thing is going to cause us trouble again this season. Martin says we may try a different formation, well where was it? When we were on the backfoot today it was more about the long ball than any great Rotherham play but we persisted with a formation that kept giving them chances and they are hardly a great side.
If we are to stick with it surely we need better players because the 2 today didnt show up well and Lati never looked good there last season!

Grimes again dropping too deep.

There are problems from last season that still need fixing so Martin needs to get a shft on or trouble will start to brew.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:49 - Jul 30 with 1505 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:39 - Jul 30 by lifelong

Sigh.

Come on Lifey.Make a contribution.Answer my question and do it with some respect.It's an opinion that is shared by many.
Look on Facebook.

Rotherham are appalling but fit,physical and will fight. We arent and wont under this coach. He cannot be defended.

We have the players.

Piroe gives the impression he wants out and I cant blame him as his good work was undone by his mates faffing about last season. Today,it looks as if he's seen his arse.

Club not coach,that is what we should be behind.

On a plus not Fisher played well and their goal was unfortunate for him. He saved out point,a point against a team that will finish ,Id suggest 10 points adrift at the end of the season.

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:51 - Jul 30 with 1498 viewsExiledJack

Nothing learnt at all.

For me, not using the third sub showed a lack of ambition from Martin. We had two forwards on the bench who have played well in pre-season, and could have taken a chance by pulling one of the 3 cbs given we had all of the ball. But yes the coaching and tactics contribute to the half-paced build up that leads to little. Saved today by a moment of brilliance from Darling.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:51 - Jul 30 with 1497 viewsGixerJack

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:14 - Jul 30 by Thrasher6

Just off the playoffs in 7th...

All the way up from bottom at half time
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:52 - Jul 30 with 1479 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:46 - Jul 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

How can it be bad coaching? Unless Russ is telling the team to perform a well worked move to put the ball on an absolute plate for our unmarked striker one yard out and then scuff it in the opposite direction of the goal. I’m pretty sure our coaching team is not telling our strikers to do that.

To save me the trouble ,have a look at Cat's post underneath mine.#
If you are exonerating Fisher ,then I will end it here .

Results are down to the coach.

Who else coaches players to play the ball BACK to the halfway line when there is a good chance of a counter attack to win at the end of the game.

Who?

Why are we literally walking with the ball when chasing a win-assuming we want a win.

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:55 - Jul 30 with 1463 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:51 - Jul 30 by ExiledJack

For me, not using the third sub showed a lack of ambition from Martin. We had two forwards on the bench who have played well in pre-season, and could have taken a chance by pulling one of the 3 cbs given we had all of the ball. But yes the coaching and tactics contribute to the half-paced build up that leads to little. Saved today by a moment of brilliance from Darling.

EJ.It's hard for me to be objective about Martin as I genuinely despise him as our coach. You make a good point. I feared for this season and still do. The man is clueless,clearly.

I read on here Sorinola was somehow better than someone.

All opinions indeed.

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:04 - Jul 30 with 1423 viewslifelong

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:49 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

Come on Lifey.Make a contribution.Answer my question and do it with some respect.It's an opinion that is shared by many.
Look on Facebook.

Rotherham are appalling but fit,physical and will fight. We arent and wont under this coach. He cannot be defended.

We have the players.

Piroe gives the impression he wants out and I cant blame him as his good work was undone by his mates faffing about last season. Today,it looks as if he's seen his arse.

Club not coach,that is what we should be behind.

On a plus not Fisher played well and their goal was unfortunate for him. He saved out point,a point against a team that will finish ,Id suggest 10 points adrift at the end of the season.

It’s just you repeating the same negative crap that you have done for the past 15 years.

It’s tiresome in the extreme.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:19 - Jul 30 with 1369 viewsswan_si

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:04 - Jul 30 by lifelong

It’s just you repeating the same negative crap that you have done for the past 15 years.

It’s tiresome in the extreme.

The man can't see past his hatred of RM, is posts should come with a mental health warning, he had issues with Cooper because of his looks, he's just a demented old #$*@.
At least Fisher gets a day off.
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:24 - Jul 30 with 1332 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/58085/rotherham-battle-t

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:25 - Jul 30 with 1322 viewsKeithHaynes

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 17:55 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

EJ.It's hard for me to be objective about Martin as I genuinely despise him as our coach. You make a good point. I feared for this season and still do. The man is clueless,clearly.

I read on here Sorinola was somehow better than someone.

All opinions indeed.

A decent point that could have been more, performance better than pre season and many last season.

We move on to next weekend.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:35 - Jul 30 with 1249 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:25 - Jul 30 by KeithHaynes

A decent point that could have been more, performance better than pre season and many last season.

We move on to next weekend.

A what?
Sorry Keith.

Any chance that after a game ALL posters can stick to topic rather than slinging insults.

It is boring

Fisher was good today,which shows I really can be objective

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:49 - Jul 30 with 1203 viewsSirjohnalot

Just got back.

First of atmosphere was brilliant. Our fans never stopped singing, apart from just after their goal, they were really quiet. Really easy to park and their stewards are probably the most laid back I’ve seen.

First half, you could definitely see the improvement, it wasn’t just passing for the sake of it, we were cutting through them so easily and creating chances, as the half wore on, for some reason we were reluctant to shoot, though, in fairness , it’s hard to say if there was space, bearing in mind we were at the other end. Helluva shot from Darling, apart from their goal and one chance just after we were in control. I didn’t see any of the scary suicidal back passing from last season.

Second half, again we seemed to be trying to score the perfect goal as opposed to having a shot.

Had we not missed the sitter, we’d have won comfortably as Rotherham would’ve had to have come out and attack as opposed to having everyone behind the ball. Their keeper also had a cracking game, and saved a couple of beauties.

Overall, really enjoyed it, much better than last year, with Joe Allen to come back, who will make a big difference, plus, hopefully a couple more coming in, I’m really confident. If nothing else, I’m enjoying football again by a team, trying to play positively.

Bring on Blackpool
NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 19:02 - Jul 30 with 1137 viewsonehunglow

NL’s Rotherham United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 18:49 - Jul 30 by Sirjohnalot

Just got back.

First of atmosphere was brilliant. Our fans never stopped singing, apart from just after their goal, they were really quiet. Really easy to park and their stewards are probably the most laid back I’ve seen.

First half, you could definitely see the improvement, it wasn’t just passing for the sake of it, we were cutting through them so easily and creating chances, as the half wore on, for some reason we were reluctant to shoot, though, in fairness , it’s hard to say if there was space, bearing in mind we were at the other end. Helluva shot from Darling, apart from their goal and one chance just after we were in control. I didn’t see any of the scary suicidal back passing from last season.

Second half, again we seemed to be trying to score the perfect goal as opposed to having a shot.

Had we not missed the sitter, we’d have won comfortably as Rotherham would’ve had to have come out and attack as opposed to having everyone behind the ball. Their keeper also had a cracking game, and saved a couple of beauties.

Overall, really enjoyed it, much better than last year, with Joe Allen to come back, who will make a big difference, plus, hopefully a couple more coming in, I’m really confident. If nothing else, I’m enjoying football again by a team, trying to play positively.

Bring on Blackpool

DM en route

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024