Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset 00:27 - Aug 23 with 1414 viewsdurham_exile

Now I have never predicted a Colchester defeat no matter what or who the opposition and that is perhaps the reason why I languish in the prediction leagues! But the serious point here is that Colchester only have to play above themselves and Brentford only have to perform slightly below par and an upset looms.

I am looking forward to the game immensely and believe that we can prevail on Tuesday night. But are the people of Colchester equally convinced.

For some reason the Carabao Cup game against Brentford has not gripped the Town (City) the way the Spurs game did. OK no disrespect to the Bees but they are not in the same class as their North London compatriots and perhaps the less than inspiring start to the season for the U’s has deflated early season confidence and commitment but there does not seem to be the buzz (no pun intended) that was felt on 24 September 2019 when 9,481 came to watch an upset.

As a matter of coincidence, we had also played Orient on the Saturday preceding and won 2-1 (I went to see both games). This time I am travelling down on Tuesday and staying over to celebrate on the Tuesday night.

As a matter of interest, the Colchester team that night was:
Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall
Senior Stevenson Lapslie Comley Gambin
Nouble
Subs
Ross Chilvers Clampin Sowunmi Cowan-Hall Norris Brown

The Spurs team was:
Gazzaniga
Walker-Peters Sanchez Tanganga Davies
Dier Skipp Wanyama Alli
Moura Parrott
Subs
Lloris Eriksen Vertonghen Sissoko Foyth Son Lamela
(Son, Eriksen and Lamela) were all pressed into action.
The game finished 0-0 and we won 4-3 on penalties

I include this because the quality of the Spurs team was excellent and made our achievement all the better.

The crowd tomorrow will probably be no bigger than 7,000. Very disappointing.

So, who will Frank bring from his Brentford charges:

On Saturday they lost 3-2 at Fulham after mauling Manchester United 4-0
The team at the Cottage was:
Raya
Hickey Jansson Mee Henry
Dasilva Norgaard Jensen
Mbeumo Toney Wissa
Subs
Ghoddos Onyeka Dervisoglu Strakosha Lewis-Potter Baptiste Janelt Bech Sorensen Roerslev

Now I expect Frank to make changes:
So, something like this:

Strakosha
Hickey Jansson Bech Sorensen Roerslev
Baptiste Damsgaard Onyeka
Ghoddos Derevisoglu Lewis-Potter
A strong line up with some of the big guns on the bench
Mee, Mbeumo Toney Dasliva Norgaard Jensen Fosu-Henry

This game is our Cup Final this season and BDH need to treat it as such. A strong team playing our best XI. Forget all about pandering to Big Frank and others it’s all about winning and nothing else.

So:

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Kazeem

Hannant Skuse Chilvers Marshall Miranda

Tovide Sears

Subs
O’Hara Clampin Dallison Coxe Akinde Nouble Owens

Weather at kick off will be a warm 24 degrees Celsius and cloudy.

Forget about the Orient game which was poor, tomorrow is a one-off cup match and we have plenty of opportunity to get that vital victory.

So, let’s get behind the team and will them to victory. There is no point at 2135hrs saying what might have been. We have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. The prospect of a bigger team in Round Three.

Take the game to them, plenty of early energy and get the ball forward, none of this sideways and backwards passing. So what if we lose but have played well. What I do not want to see is a ultra-defensive formation and a 3-0 defeat. Give Brentford a game and play in their half.

2-1 to the U’s and another great cup night in North Essex.

Enjoy the game, get behind the lads and let’s win the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 07:14 - Aug 23 with 1377 viewsnoah4x4

Does anybody truly expect us to win? The reality is most of us already expect our "Cup Finals" to be against Rochdale and Hartlepool to determine who doesn't exit the league in the wrong direction.

Tonight is an irrelevant, but hopefully a positive distraction. Victory is unlikely, so the only good it may do is bring in revenue, but the apathy in the town is self-evident. I know only one Colchester resident Bees fan (his wife is Col U), but I know many Spurs fans. We witnessed first visits by thousands of North Essex based Spurs "fans" that probably rarely get to White Hart Lane. Most of the Bradford fans last week were London based exiles. Bees fans are as rare as rocking horse poo in North Essex and that will make the difference. Still doesn't explain why this town isn't "buzzing" at the prospect of a visit by a Premier League club? Maybe a lack of "bussing" explains.....

When asked at the Open Day by an equally Col U passionate fan to me, why he has never recruited a customer services/marketing expert Cowling replied he doesn't need one. I am a (retired) Chartered Marketer and the solutions to me seem blindingly obvious. Recruit people that have the knowledge and experience to run a football club, and I don't just mean on the pitch.

Repect for all the good he has done financially, but Cowling offering jobs only to his repeatedly failing pals has been a disaster. Another season is upon us and still no buses to Chesterwell Woods and the Stadium, whilst the Northern Gateway development now appears threatened by the likely collapse of Cineworld, its showcase tenant. Public transport to the Stadium remains hopeless. I will arrive after 19-15 tonight (delayed by cricket commitmemts), so have bought a £7 stadium parking ticket that promises a 30 minute post-match departure delay. Still only shite Green King IPA and burnt sausage rolls on offer. No proper fan zone. No decent fan experience. Problems with supply of shop stock. Hence, everything depends solely upon the football, which has been disappointing for far too many seasons.

Cowling will argue many of these factors are outside of his control. But it was he that killed the shuttle buses, which remains the single most disastrous decision affecting our gates. It was blindingly obvious that fault lay with the bus company management for not collecting return fares, yet was counting heads and charging the shortfall to the club. This was wholly resolvable by better stewarding of buses to ensure all pay. Yet again, poor management. Why struggle to the Jobserve when West Ham will offer free shuttle buses? With Ipswich Town in apparent ascendancy, we will now lose another generation of young fans. Our win at Portman Road in the last round is already utterly irrelevant given our league performances. I simply pray for an injury free evening, so that we can have no selection headaches for Saturday.
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 1313 viewsburnsieespana

Noah we could say the Crystal Palace game was irrelevant but how (including me) loved the atmosphe created by our fans.
Sadly you seem to have been ground down into negativity not associated with you
Yes you are right about the various points raised such as transport and heaven only knows why somebody like Panther travel apply for a licence to run a service on match days particularly as they recently lost their Counc in l tendered routes so must have capacity available.
I happen to like Greene King IPA but that is another story!
Personally never participate in fans zones, etc.
Sad to say we have never been able to compete with Ipswich since 1957 and like us all, I guess I still hope we might sign a decent striker by paying out money, before deadline day. Oh how we could do with digging up a Jamie Cureton who before he came to us was finished, not scoring any goals.
Like Durham, I hope we can pull out a shock win tonight as, unfortunately due to my ongoing health problem, I can't be present.
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 13:57 - Aug 23 with 1288 viewsbwildered

Am I the only one who thinks we do not require any new signings ?
Like in McG reign, personally think the squad is big and good enough to be at the opposite end of the table, but what is required is aggression and positivity from the management, ( we have the tools to do the job ! ), but it fails to deliver .
Apathy seems rife around the club supporters due to no progress seemingly being made in any campaign with the same old errors and excuses always being made with the same results. Do not think anyone on this board wants us to be in this predicament and continue to support from near and far. All we ask is that we gave it a go, while most matches meander and drift, with us finally thinking with a touch more courage more positive results could be made after the final whistle. Something appears to be inherently wrong in the us set up thinking and still continues . Need more let them worry about us, rather than the opposite.
Anyway rant over back to the grind of Cup footie, were points do not make prizes, but wins do !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 15:32 - Aug 23 with 1272 viewsWitham

Having had 2 performances blamed on a dry (sticky was the phrase used) pitch perhaps we could turn the sprinklers on tonight !
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 16:09 - Aug 23 with 1260 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 12:16 - Aug 23 by burnsieespana

Noah we could say the Crystal Palace game was irrelevant but how (including me) loved the atmosphe created by our fans.
Yes you are right about the various points raised such as transport and heaven only knows why somebody like Panther travel apply for a licence to run a service on match days particularly as they recently lost their Counc in l tendered routes so must have capacity available.
Sad to say we have never been able to compete with Ipswich since 1957 and like us all, I guess I still hope we might sign a decent striker by paying out money, before deadline day. Oh how we could do with digging up a Jamie Cureton who before he came to us was finished, not scoring any goals.
Like Durham, I hope we can pull out a shock win tonight as, unfortunately due to my ongoing health problem, I can't be present.

Burnsie sorry to hear you are unwell.

My first home match of the season.
Currently very warm 28 degrees and bright sunshine.

Warm tonight at the ground.

I am still optimistic about a U's victory.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 16:17 - Aug 23 with 1257 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 13:57 - Aug 23 by bwildered

Am I the only one who thinks we do not require any new signings ?
Like in McG reign, personally think the squad is big and good enough to be at the opposite end of the table, but what is required is aggression and positivity from the management, ( we have the tools to do the job ! ), but it fails to deliver .
Apathy seems rife around the club supporters due to no progress seemingly being made in any campaign with the same old errors and excuses always being made with the same results. Do not think anyone on this board wants us to be in this predicament and continue to support from near and far. All we ask is that we gave it a go, while most matches meander and drift, with us finally thinking with a touch more courage more positive results could be made after the final whistle. Something appears to be inherently wrong in the us set up thinking and still continues . Need more let them worry about us, rather than the opposite.
Anyway rant over back to the grind of Cup footie, were points do not make prizes, but wins do !

bwildered - I am only asking for one signing a striker.

The rest of the squad is good enough.

Of interest driving down from Durham this afternoon and listening to Talksport the apathy also translates to the radio.

Plenty of discussion concerning Stockport who play Leicester and other fancied games Tranmere etc but nothing about Colchester.

That is another reason why I want the U's to win tonight.

We are increasingly becoming like Millwall everyone hates us but we don't care

2-1 super U's

As Toto Wolfe often says on team radio to Hamilton well done Lewis "f88k them all'

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 16:48 - Aug 23 with 1253 viewsGOSBTS

I’ll be there Godwilling and rather looking forward to it! Up the U’s!
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 18:34 - Aug 23 with 1224 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 12:16 - Aug 23 by burnsieespana

Best wishes Burnsie - hope the U's performance tonight is just the tonic you need!

I'm not optimistic we'll win, think that'll rather depend on how "B or C" team selection Brentford go, but with the right attitude and approach, anything is possible. I'd even accept defeat, so long as we show signs of lessons learned after Saturday - that and no more injuries please!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 18:56 - Aug 23 with 1213 viewsdurham_exile

Pleasant evening pitch is immaculate
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 19:07 - Aug 23 with 1207 viewsdurham_exile

Team

O'Hara
Tchamadeu Eastman Dallison Kazeem
Newby Skuse Marshall Miranda Chilvers Ashley
Akinde

Subs
Hornby Clampin Chambers Hannant Sears OwensCoxe Tovide Nouble

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 20:09 - Aug 23 with 1179 viewsgerry_us

Akinde leading the line.....are we really serious about this? He won't last halfway.
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 20:34 - Aug 23 with 1161 viewswessex_exile

Plenty of positives, just a shame about conceding when arguably we were on top. Still, 45 minutes to go, we can do this!

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 20:43 - Aug 23 with 1145 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 20:34 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

Plenty of positives, just a shame about conceding when arguably we were on top. Still, 45 minutes to go, we can do this!

Up the U's!!!

Wessex we were on top when they scored.
Superb through pass allowed The goal.
But we have had three good chances of our own.
Certainly not overawed by the premier League opposition.
The South Stand is rocking.

My prediction of 2-1 still stands

U's are playing superbly well.
Just need a little more quality around the box

Poor turnout from the Bees

Frank still has Toney and co in reserve
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 21:43 - Aug 23 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

If we play like that in the league then top seven is nailed on.

Newby outstanding.

Frank had to play all his first teamers from the bench.

2-0 flattered Brentford.

Can we please sign a striker because that was the difference tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 21:43 - Aug 23 with 1109 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 20:43 - Aug 23 by durham_exile

Wessex we were on top when they scored.
Superb through pass allowed The goal.
But we have had three good chances of our own.
Certainly not overawed by the premier League opposition.
The South Stand is rocking.

My prediction of 2-1 still stands

U's are playing superbly well.
Just need a little more quality around the box

Poor turnout from the Bees

Frank still has Toney and co in reserve
Up the U's

A shame, but no disgrace. Well done Col U, a decent positive performance that deserved more.

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:03 - Aug 23 with 1088 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 21:43 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

A shame, but no disgrace. Well done Col U, a decent positive performance that deserved more.

Car park is horrific.
I am sitting and waiting for the masses to go.

Proud of the team tonight.
Kazeem was injured making the challenge second half and was rightly replaced by Clampin.

Chilvers had another quiet game by his standards.

We deserved to take the game to penalties.

This performance must be carried over to the league.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:09 - Aug 23 with 1084 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:03 - Aug 23 by durham_exile

Car park is horrific.
I am sitting and waiting for the masses to go.

Proud of the team tonight.
Kazeem was injured making the challenge second half and was rightly replaced by Clampin.

Chilvers had another quiet game by his standards.

We deserved to take the game to penalties.

This performance must be carried over to the league.

Up the U's

Attendance 5,516 which was shocking otherwise everything else was very good from Colchester

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:13 - Aug 23 with 1076 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:09 - Aug 23 by durham_exile

Attendance 5,516 which was shocking otherwise everything else was very good from Colchester

Up the U's

5,515 without your passion and support Durham - well done chap!

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:54 - Aug 23 with 1054 viewsnoah4x4

Echo horrific car park. I couldn’t leave cricket until 19:05 due to awful slow over rates extending play by 30 minutes, then crawled to the stadium car park, stuck behind dozens trying to access the David Lloyd car park or simply dropping off. I got parked with five minutes to spare then missed 10 minutes of first half because of huge turnstile queues and too many people struggling with Q codes on their phones, whilst some of the South Stand turnstiles were shut. Later, thirty minutes queuing post match to exit the car park. Life was so much better when we had shuttle buses. I repeat what I said earlier, transport is a huge barrier to attracting bigger gates.

Six team changes and what a difference that made. Despite defeat, it was a massive improvement over that of the regulars (like Hannant, Sears, Judge, Nouble etc). We actually had some attacking intent and shots in target. Newby and Miranda were outstanding. Brown needs to do some serious thinking after this and stop listening to the DoF and his cronies.
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 23:12 - Aug 23 with 1046 viewsGOSBTS

Very pleasant evening. Didn’t deserve to lose. Newby was excellent. We had that five minute spell of magic around the time Toney came on where their keeper made an outstanding save to keep out a goal-bound header and then two corners later a header went agonisingly wide. Could have been different if one of those went in! U’s can hold heads high.

With regards to comments made about the general state of the U’s, I was musing upon a Gary Neville-esque manifesto for the U’s on my walk back to the car, but I’ll save that post for another day as I’m off to bed!
Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 23:43 - Aug 23 with 1029 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 22:13 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

5,515 without your passion and support Durham - well done chap!

Wessex I am certainly not disappointed, the team played very well.

I can only think that Tom Eastman must have picked up a knock because he played well.

Tchamadeu couldn't get forward as much as he would have liked.

Kazeem over commited and fouled Roerslev and injured himself.

Newby was outstanding and played centre mid with Cole Skuse.

Noah Chilvers played ok but it was not one of his better performances but this is not a night for criticism.

Big John played the full 96 minutes almost as if WB has been reading the musings from contributors on this site.

Much to mull over but we must play like this in the league and we will win a lot more than we lose.

Back at the hotel.

Brentford Thomas Frank had to bring 5 regular first teamers on to stem the tide.

Anyway as I said lots to think about.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Bees in Carabao Cup upset on 09:35 - Aug 24 with 922 viewsbwildered

Very open game, strength in depth for the Bees always looked they could cope whatever the U’s could do. Luckily they scored in the first half just has the U’s had a created several chances, the goal coming against the run of play just before. U’s pushed on in the second half with great credit and with about fifteen minutes remaining had several chances to level, with U’s MOM Newby denied by a excellent save by the Bees keeper.
South stand support was superb throughout.
But pause for thought, beat the Bees last game of the 2014 season, seems thereafter two clubs going in opposite directions, one with good recruitment and no academy and the other …..

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024