Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park 23:05 - Aug 26 with 1415 viewsdurham_exile

After the gallant performance against Premier League opposition on Tuesday BDH must ready their charges for the trip to the Wirral.

Tranmere Rovers, who also lost to Premier League opposition in Newcastle (but on Wednesday), will provide a stern test for the Super U’s. However, this is the perfect opportunity to take our cup form to Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Micky Mellon (me old fruit) will also be looking to bounce back after defeat at Newport last weekend.

Now last season we lost 2-0 on one of our Friday night games and then had the ignominy of the supporters coach suffering a smashed window by Tranmere thugs.

I have reluctantly decided after the Tuesday night trip to Colchester and a busy time since, not to travel to Tranmere, but I am confident that we are due a win on the Wirral.

Last season I attended both the Tranmere game and also the Rochdale game and tomorrow the referee will be Rebecca Welch who officiated at Spotland.

Colchester have signed another midfielder in Dan Chesters a 20-year-old player from West Ham. Now I hope that this does not spell the end for Noah Chilvers who has been distinctly off par over the past three games (two of which I have attended).

In any event we are sporting an embarrassment of midfield riches at present but I do not want to see another of the crown jewels depart the club.

Chesters’ arrival makes the selection of the team all the more interesting on Saturday.
The following should be confirmed starters; Hornby, Tchamadeu, Chambers, Dallison, Kazeem, Skuse, Marshall Miranda, Chilvers, Newby and Sears. That is 10 meaning that one place is up for grabs in the starting XI.

That must be a competition between, Owens, Chesters and Judge.

I would play the following in 4,2,3,1 formation:

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Dallison Kazeem

Skuse Marshall Miranda

Owens Chilvers Newby

Sears

Subs:
O’Hara Eastman Coxe Tovide Nouble Akinde Judge

Tuesday gave us all a good look at Alex Newby who was simply outstanding. With Owens and Chesters we have a lot of competition for defensive and central midfielders.

It is the striker department where the club must invest and before 1 September.
After playing 96 minutes John Akinde will warm the bench on Saturday together with Big Frank. And that doesn’t include Ryan Clampin who is being frozen out due to the outstanding form of Kazeem.

Defence and Midfield are well provisioned, it is the strikers who are poorly served.
I promise this is the last time I will mention him but Michael Folivi has pace and was just beginning to show his considerable striking prowess when he was injured. Get him signed up.

Weather at the Wirral will be 20 degrees Celsius and cloudy with a 27% chance of rain.
Safe journey to the travelling contingent.

Enjoy the game.

2-1 to Colchester with Newby opening his account.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 14:21 - Aug 27 with 1322 viewswessex_exile

Nice one Durham - like you I fear what the arrival of Chesters might mean for Noah - I guess we'll possibly know if he's playing (or not) today?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 14:49 - Aug 27 with 1309 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 14:21 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Nice one Durham - like you I fear what the arrival of Chesters might mean for Noah - I guess we'll possibly know if he's playing (or not) today?

Chilvers starts, Chesters on the bench, so unless it's a huge gamble Noah doesn't pick up an injury, maybe he's staying put for now?

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 14:57 - Aug 27 with 1304 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 14:49 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Chilvers starts, Chesters on the bench, so unless it's a huge gamble Noah doesn't pick up an injury, maybe he's staying put for now?

I do hope so Wessex

O'Hara

Tchamadeu Chambers Dallison Clampin

Nouble Skuse Newby Chilvers Marley Miranda

Sears

Subs
Hornby Hannant Owens Chesters Akinde Coxe Cracknell

Kazeem must be injured.
A surfeit of midfielders.
O'Hara retained in goal

Tom Eastman must be injured

Up the U's
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 19:59]

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 15:06 - Aug 27 with 1300 viewswessex_exile

Well that didn't last long - looks like it's going to be a long afternoon...

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 15:06 - Aug 27 with 1300 viewsthrillseeker

Oh dear

Plenty of time to get back in the game

Any idea what Hornby has done wrong to be dropped?
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:34 - Aug 27 with 1260 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 15:06 - Aug 27 by thrillseeker

Oh dear

Plenty of time to get back in the game

Any idea what Hornby has done wrong to be dropped?

Nothing TS
I have been reporting that WB wishes to alternate keepers.
Hence the O'Hara start today.
WB must decide who is his Number 1 and stick with it.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:38 - Aug 27 with 1256 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:34 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Nothing TS
I have been reporting that WB wishes to alternate keepers.
Hence the O'Hara start today.
WB must decide who is his Number 1 and stick with it.

Up the U's

That isn't our problem.

It's at the other end of the pitch.

No Tovide today
Only 2 shots and none on target tells its own story.
Come on we desperately need an equaliser

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:48 - Aug 27 with 1248 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:38 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

That isn't our problem.

It's at the other end of the pitch.

No Tovide today
Only 2 shots and none on target tells its own story.
Come on we desperately need an equaliser

Up the U's

What a good job I didn't go.

We have learned nothing.
Tuesday night should have been the spur to secure a win today.
Disappointing result and another defeat.
Pressure is already mounting.

Get a striker signed

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:55 - Aug 27 with 1241 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:48 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

What a good job I didn't go.

We have learned nothing.
Tuesday night should have been the spur to secure a win today.
Disappointing result and another defeat.
Pressure is already mounting.

Get a striker signed

Up the U's

Three shots zero on target

I am sad and mad.

We simply have to do better than this.

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 17:01 - Aug 27 with 1234 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:55 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Three shots zero on target

I am sad and mad.

We simply have to do better than this.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, but why wasn't Nouble's effort counted as on target?

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:00 - Aug 27 with 1193 viewsLeadbelly

Plan A out the window after 4 minutes and, as usual, no sign on plan B. Only the bottom four have scored fewer goals than us and Hartlepool is the only side to have conceded more. Creek and paddle springs to mind.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:15 - Aug 27 with 1183 viewsthrillseeker

WB on BBC Essex said we were better team and unlucky

Thankfully I opted to stay at home today but some friends went and they said we were appalling and from KO set up negatively.

I have to say WB's team selections are becoming more and more bizarre.

I am also wondering whether there has been an offer for Chilvers and we have had said no, which has p++sed him off as recently he is playing like his head has gone and very unfocussed.
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:23 - Aug 27 with 1182 viewsLeadbelly

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:15 - Aug 27 by thrillseeker

WB on BBC Essex said we were better team and unlucky

Thankfully I opted to stay at home today but some friends went and they said we were appalling and from KO set up negatively.

I have to say WB's team selections are becoming more and more bizarre.

I am also wondering whether there has been an offer for Chilvers and we have had said no, which has p++sed him off as recently he is playing like his head has gone and very unfocussed.

I’ve just seen the two goals; the defending was woeful so if Tranmere’s was worse how did we not score a hatful? Because our finishing was non existent again. Brown is deluded in the extreme.

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 20:04 - Aug 27 with 1134 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:23 - Aug 27 by Leadbelly

I’ve just seen the two goals; the defending was woeful so if Tranmere’s was worse how did we not score a hatful? Because our finishing was non existent again. Brown is deluded in the extreme.

The Gazette that organ of the free press stated no bids for our star assets

Maybe the truth is that no one has come in for Chilvers which has hacked him off even more.

Presently the way he is playing is impressing nobody.

We need him focussed and playing. At the moment he is the Ronaldo of Colchester

In the meantime the Hartlepool game is now a relegation 6 pointer.

Sorry to say it but that is the simple truth.

What has happened to the form of the last eight games last season.

Very disappointing.

Up the U's

Humes out.

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 20:24 - Aug 27 with 1128 viewswessex_exile

We have four games at home (including the BHA game in the PJT goblet) in the next six in September. Brown, Dunne and Huzzey either fix this, or by October we're in a lot of trouble.

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:18 - Aug 27 with 1101 viewsthrillseeker

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 20:04 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

The Gazette that organ of the free press stated no bids for our star assets

Maybe the truth is that no one has come in for Chilvers which has hacked him off even more.

Presently the way he is playing is impressing nobody.

We need him focussed and playing. At the moment he is the Ronaldo of Colchester

In the meantime the Hartlepool game is now a relegation 6 pointer.

Sorry to say it but that is the simple truth.

What has happened to the form of the last eight games last season.

Very disappointing.

Up the U's

Humes out.

Durham, you are 'What has happened to the form of the last eight games last season'

Answer
WB was very lucky as a lot of those teams we played in those 8 games had nothing to play for and were looking like they were already on holiday. Also a number of teams experimented with changes planning for this season

I was not convinced by WB's appointment and still not but I have to try to support him as he is manager of my team. However my support for him is waning very quickly as he does not seem to understand making tactical changes, no idea of his best XI, seems to have personal favourites who play regardless of form and to finish it off his interviews on BBC Essex are the same each week.. He always says we were the best team and unlucky. He must be watching a different games to me

The Bradford result papered over the cracks and provided false hope. We were clueless in the majority of the match and only played well in final 10 minutes.

The Ipswich result was a freak - we did not deserve victory but happy to take it

Despite only being 6 games into the season I am very concerned and now searching for 2 teams to be worse than us.

It really is no fun watching us at the moment and in all honesty barring 2 or 3 games a season it has not been fun for 5 or 6 years now.

As D:REAM once said - 'things can only get better'
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:30 - Aug 27 with 1094 viewsburnsieespana

Thrillseeker they could get worse.
Just look at Scunthorpe!
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 22:46 - Aug 27 with 1069 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:30 - Aug 27 by burnsieespana

Thrillseeker they could get worse.
Just look at Scunthorpe!

Or Southend.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 23:18 - Aug 27 with 1058 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 22:46 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Or Southend.

Up the U's

Terrible shame for the Weed - never mind the 95th minute winner, apparently Eastleigh's equaliser was scored from inside their own half - looking forward to seeing that one!

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 09:42 - Aug 28 with 948 viewsnoah4x4

Due to cricket, I have only seen the U's live once against League Two opposition this season and we won (Bradford). The current run of form dispels my belief that I was the bad omen when attending, but confirms my belief that Humes must go. The negative football he introduced and has continued under numerous successors must cease.

I have a season ticket, but unlike past seasons, am not that anxious to get back. If the attraction is dying with me, a die hard never miss a match type (otther than for cricket) for twenty years, what impact is it having on casual supporters? It has been a death by a thousand cuts, starting with the withdrawal of adequate public transport. It's too far to walk with arthritic knees and the 30 minutes wait to escape the car park is ridiculous. Then add clueless management, zero customer appeal off the pitch and latterly on it, and the despair is complete.

I can't believe Cowling is letting this decline happen? Never felt so low as a U's fan. Reports from Stockport and Tranmere suggest I shouldn't waste my money on away travel. Fans want to see at least a few wins.......
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 16:51 - Aug 28 with 873 viewsgerry_us

After Bournemouth and now Dundee our result yesterday doesn't look so bad!
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 18:22 - Aug 28 with 857 viewsWitham

Yesterday afternoon spoilt a good weekend on the Wirral
We were poor and that's a fact. Not for the first time this season (I think the 4th consecutive match) the opening or only goal came from getting in behind our left back
Whilst we tried to play smart passes to Freddy they were easily cut out. If we did get down the wing we misfit our crosses and Nouble was never in the area.
We've had a good break but I feel sorry for those who travelled up on the day. And why bring players with us who are never going to play ? Kazeem was being exercised before the game so obviously was still suffering from his knock on Tuesday. And if I was one of the unused substitutes I would be considering my future career if the manager thought I couldn’t do better than some who had tried and failed.
Luckily we can't get to the next few away games so Mrs Witham doesn't have to suffer this stuff for a while
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:29 - Aug 28 with 832 viewsGOSBTS

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 09:42 - Aug 28 by noah4x4

Due to cricket, I have only seen the U's live once against League Two opposition this season and we won (Bradford). The current run of form dispels my belief that I was the bad omen when attending, but confirms my belief that Humes must go. The negative football he introduced and has continued under numerous successors must cease.

I have a season ticket, but unlike past seasons, am not that anxious to get back. If the attraction is dying with me, a die hard never miss a match type (otther than for cricket) for twenty years, what impact is it having on casual supporters? It has been a death by a thousand cuts, starting with the withdrawal of adequate public transport. It's too far to walk with arthritic knees and the 30 minutes wait to escape the car park is ridiculous. Then add clueless management, zero customer appeal off the pitch and latterly on it, and the despair is complete.

I can't believe Cowling is letting this decline happen? Never felt so low as a U's fan. Reports from Stockport and Tranmere suggest I shouldn't waste my money on away travel. Fans want to see at least a few wins.......

I am increasingly coming to the opinion that Robbie Cowling is not a bad owner. He’s actually one of the better owners. He cares about the club, keeps us financially afloat and it’d be difficult to envisage where we would be without him.

However, he cares too much. I’ve mentioned before that I believe he is in control of too much of the daily running of the club. I deeply feel he needs a CEO who is the face of the club. I can only compare Col U to clubs I know, of which Brighton is obviously the foremost. Our owner Tony Bloom bankrolls the club and is a lifelong fan. However, for the last 7 years or so we’ve had Paul Barber as our CEO. When a message needs to be conveyed to the fans (positive and negative), it’s Paul who does it. It allows all negativity to be deflected from Tony onto Paul, which is far healthier. It’s no surprise that Newcastle have just hired a new CEO, who will undoubtedly have a bigger day to day role in the club’s running than Staveley and co.

As it is now, all negativity falls at Robbie’s doorstep at Col U. IMO he needs to surround himself with more and better people, relinquish some of the control and in doing so take the heat off of himself for everything that happens at the club.
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:29 - Aug 28 with 831 viewsGrog595

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 17:01 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, but why wasn't Nouble's effort counted as on target?

As most of his are (not that many are offered)
Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 22:14 - Aug 28 with 818 viewsLeadbelly

Wirral rubbish as Super U's tame their hosts at Prenton Park on 21:29 - Aug 28 by GOSBTS

I am increasingly coming to the opinion that Robbie Cowling is not a bad owner. He’s actually one of the better owners. He cares about the club, keeps us financially afloat and it’d be difficult to envisage where we would be without him.

However, he cares too much. I’ve mentioned before that I believe he is in control of too much of the daily running of the club. I deeply feel he needs a CEO who is the face of the club. I can only compare Col U to clubs I know, of which Brighton is obviously the foremost. Our owner Tony Bloom bankrolls the club and is a lifelong fan. However, for the last 7 years or so we’ve had Paul Barber as our CEO. When a message needs to be conveyed to the fans (positive and negative), it’s Paul who does it. It allows all negativity to be deflected from Tony onto Paul, which is far healthier. It’s no surprise that Newcastle have just hired a new CEO, who will undoubtedly have a bigger day to day role in the club’s running than Staveley and co.

As it is now, all negativity falls at Robbie’s doorstep at Col U. IMO he needs to surround himself with more and better people, relinquish some of the control and in doing so take the heat off of himself for everything that happens at the club.

I can envisage where we will be soon with Cowling as owner.

I’m afraid it’s a waste of time suggesting sensible solutions that may improve the situation at Col U. As Cowling has made clear, it’s his club and he’ll run it as he wants. The fact that we’ve been in a steady downward spiral since he became involved may explain why many fans don’t believe Cowling is a good owner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024