Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League Two Observations 15:19 - Sep 16 with 12926 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Leyton Orent are the only unbeaten team in the division.

Stevenage and Barrow are 2nd and 3rd respectively despite finishing last season 21st and 22nd.

Hartlepool and Rochdale remain the only two sides without a win.

Swindon have drawn 5 of their eight matches.

Gillingham have only managed two goals in eight games. There are 21 individual players who have scored more than two league goals this season.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

League Two Observations on 14:09 - Apr 21 with 2283 viewswessex_exile

League Two Observations on 19:21 - Apr 7 by bwildered

Apologies to Wessex if it is selected from his random generator next time around, but to those who were not in attendance, U’s played this penultimate game already relegated from the Football League, has games played 24 hours earlier ( Sunday midday KO) had condemned them to the R word. Not a pleasant day.

Cambridge United
Line-up
1. John Vaughan
2. Andy Fensome
3. Alan Kimble
4. Chris Leadbitter
5. Phil Chapple
6. Liam Daish
7. Michael Cheetham
8. Colin Baillie
9. Dion Dublin
10. Steve Claridge
11. Lee Philpott
Sub(s):
12. John Taylor - replaced Dion Dublin
13. Mike Cook - replaced Alan Kimble
Goalscorers
Goal
25' Michael Cheetham
Goal
35' Steve Claridge
Goal
67' Michael Cheetham (pen)
Details: Penalty.
Goal
70' Michael Cheetham (pen)
Details: Penalty.
Coaching staff
John Beck - Manager

Colchester United
Line-up
1. Andy Marriott
2. Marcelle Bruce
3. Mark Radford
4. Billy Gilbert
5. Scott Daniels
6. Neale Marmon
7. Eamonn Collins
8. Tony English
9. Trevor Morgan
10. Richard Wilkins
11. Gary Bennett
Sub(s):
12. Robert Scott - replaced Gary Bennett
13. Les Taylor - replaced Billy Gilbert
Coaching staff
Mick Mills - Manager

You're okay there bwildered - thankfully this was one I missed

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

League Two Observations on 14:18 - Apr 21 with 2281 viewsRSCOSWORTH

League Two Observations on 21:57 - Mar 23 by durham_exile

Big Frank has joined Torquay United.

He will enjoy the English Riviera.

Up the former U's

They went on a five game winning run shortly after Big Frank joined with him even getting amongst the goals. A 5-1 defeat against Chesterfield on Tuesday night has left them on the brink of relegation though, they need at least four points from their final two matches, with their last match being against champions elect Wrexham, and for other results to go their way. It's a big, big ask and it looks like they'll sadly be joining Yeovil in the National League South next season.

League Two Observations on 18:31 - Apr 21 with 2227 viewsburnsieespana

Hopefully won't be Maidenhead whom I have a soft spot for and one of the few sides who are part-time.
League Two Observations on 18:13 - Apr 22 with 2159 viewswessex_exile

League Two Observations on 18:31 - Apr 21 by burnsieespana

Hopefully won't be Maidenhead whom I have a soft spot for and one of the few sides who are part-time.

Maidenhead are pretty much safe Burnsie, unless Torquay can absolutely batter Wrexham in their final game, and Maidenhead are also badly beaten, to reverse a -7 GD disadvantage. The iFollow commentary was saying throughout that Southend's play-off hopes were over after Bromley beat Chesterfield, and almost certainly they are, provided Boreham Wood gain at least a point in one of their three remaining games.

Shame

Up the U's

League Two Observations on 15:56 - Apr 23 with 2119 viewsbwildered

U’s off to Parkys Disney world next season, how about first game of season !
Given that Mullins is reportedly on 18k month, ( must have picked up transfer fee in wages , has a free transfer ), and a friendly tour of the USA against Man Utd and Chelsea pre season don’t expect Parky go AWOL this time.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

League Two Observations on 09:38 - Apr 24 with 2060 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm fully expecting the Wrexham game to be our biggest home attendance of next season. Wonder how many Wrexham "fans" will have Essex postcodes!

League Two Observations on 20:10 - Apr 26 with 2011 viewswessex_exile

League Two Observations on 09:38 - Apr 24 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm fully expecting the Wrexham game to be our biggest home attendance of next season. Wonder how many Wrexham "fans" will have Essex postcodes!

The Mansfield result last night, losing at home to the champions-elect Leyton Orient, is interesting, as I'm pretty certain however Saturday pans out, Mansfield will come to the JobServe on the last day needing at least a point, and probably all three if they are going to claim a play-off spot. That's good news to me, fancy a game that means something to finish the season on, and even better against the Scabs.

Obviously, we owe it to others in the League to play our strongest side and do our level-best to win the game. Mansfield support will probably fill out the North stand, making for a cracking atmosphere with the South stand in full voice. Donny first though.

Up the U's!

Up the U's

League Two Observations on 00:42 - Apr 27 with 1986 viewsdurham_exile

League Two Observations on 20:10 - Apr 26 by wessex_exile

The Mansfield result last night, losing at home to the champions-elect Leyton Orient, is interesting, as I'm pretty certain however Saturday pans out, Mansfield will come to the JobServe on the last day needing at least a point, and probably all three if they are going to claim a play-off spot. That's good news to me, fancy a game that means something to finish the season on, and even better against the Scabs.

Obviously, we owe it to others in the League to play our strongest side and do our level-best to win the game. Mansfield support will probably fill out the North stand, making for a cracking atmosphere with the South stand in full voice. Donny first though.

Up the U's!

As I stated previously I really want us to defeat Mansfield on the last day.
We owe them big time for some dubious defeats at Field Mill over recent seasons.
Would rather see Salford creep into the play offs than the Stags.

As regards Wrexham next season, if Parky is still there both games will be feisty affairs.

I am going to Donny and the final Home game which will also be on iFollow for Exiles.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

League Two Observations on 20:49 - Apr 27 with 1929 viewsdurham_exile

Tom Eastman is a free agent at the conclusion of the season.
Harrogate are trying to persuade him to join them on a permanent basis.
At 31 years of age there is plenty of life left in the defender.
His family live in Essex but might be content to move to North Yorkshire.

What do the team think?

Durham_exile

League Two Observations on 21:47 - Apr 27 with 1926 viewsgerry_us

League Two Observations on 20:49 - Apr 27 by durham_exile

Tom Eastman is a free agent at the conclusion of the season.
Harrogate are trying to persuade him to join them on a permanent basis.
At 31 years of age there is plenty of life left in the defender.
His family live in Essex but might be content to move to North Yorkshire.

What do the team think?

Still think we are a better team with Tom Eastman at the back. And there are his occasional goals at corners.
Unfortunately I cannot see him coming back even though he was extremely popular with the fans, especially ME. Not that that will help him. Hopefully he gets a contract somewhere next season and if it is in our division his reception from the U's fans will be extremely interesting.
League Two Observations on 00:08 - Apr 28 with 1907 viewswessex_exile

I think it will depend on how much Ben Garner has seen of Tom, and leaving emotions to one side, whether he sees Tom as part of his plans for the future. If we let Tommy Smith go, then maybe? But I agree, I don’t think we’ll see Tom back here in a U’s shirt, apart for his testimonial of course. Hope he gets a decent contract at Harrogate if he doesn’t return, he’s earned it!

Up the U's

League Two Observations on 07:53 - Apr 28 with 1891 viewsnoah4x4

We seem to have an embarrassment of riches (if all fit), albeit some merely here (or away) on loan……

Fiacre Kelleher age 27
Tom Eastman age 31
Luke Chambers 37
Tommy Smith 33
Tom Dallison 27
Connor Hall 29
Will Greenidge 20
Junior Tchamadeu 19 (my guess is he won’t stay, and good luck to him).

Tom Eastman, always 100% reliable, repeatedly MoM for Harrogate.
Smith and Dallison, sadly, often long term injured. But Dallison nearing fitness.
The Tommy Smith & Chambers pairing in a four at the back has frequently been calamitous.
We appear to be much better with a three, but which three?
Hall has been excellent, but the jury is out as regards Greenidge (but getting better).
Chambers has (IMHO) been much better in a three, but without Smith.
Tom Eastman is best in a four, maybe less so as the right side in a three.
Kelleher (IMHO) is better than Eastman in a three.
I don’t see Kelleher and Eastman paired in a three, neither blessed with pace.
Difficult choices for Ben Garner, if all fit!

But Chambers must be on his last legs, and we must not allow sentimentality and helping him break records get in the way of the U’s progress under Garner. My view, we won’t see either Chambers or Eastman again in a U’s shirt after this season. They will remain in Division Two, but I think it has finally dawned on Cowling that we need genuine ambition to rebuild.

Edit…oops, I forgot Kazeem.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:37]
League Two Observations on 09:32 - Apr 28 with 1882 viewsburnsieespana

I cannot see Tommy Smith getting another contract but Chsmbers yes as he seems to being a lot to the team apart from his actual play on the field.
Dallison has never impressed me but unless we can unload him we are stuck with him for another year
So that brings me to Tom Eastman and I suspect we won't see him playing again as timeust be approaching when we need to blood young defenders such as Terry if they are going to make it
Unfortunately can't see Junior staying so thoughts on his value? €500k up front plus add ons up to €1m feels to me about the mark.
League Two Observations on 11:06 - Apr 28 with 1874 viewsRSCOSWORTH

League Two Observations on 07:53 - Apr 28 by noah4x4

We seem to have an embarrassment of riches (if all fit), albeit some merely here (or away) on loan……

Fiacre Kelleher age 27
Tom Eastman age 31
Luke Chambers 37
Tommy Smith 33
Tom Dallison 27
Connor Hall 29
Will Greenidge 20
Junior Tchamadeu 19 (my guess is he won’t stay, and good luck to him).

Tom Eastman, always 100% reliable, repeatedly MoM for Harrogate.
Smith and Dallison, sadly, often long term injured. But Dallison nearing fitness.
The Tommy Smith & Chambers pairing in a four at the back has frequently been calamitous.
We appear to be much better with a three, but which three?
Hall has been excellent, but the jury is out as regards Greenidge (but getting better).
Chambers has (IMHO) been much better in a three, but without Smith.
Tom Eastman is best in a four, maybe less so as the right side in a three.
Kelleher (IMHO) is better than Eastman in a three.
I don’t see Kelleher and Eastman paired in a three, neither blessed with pace.
Difficult choices for Ben Garner, if all fit!

But Chambers must be on his last legs, and we must not allow sentimentality and helping him break records get in the way of the U’s progress under Garner. My view, we won’t see either Chambers or Eastman again in a U’s shirt after this season. They will remain in Division Two, but I think it has finally dawned on Cowling that we need genuine ambition to rebuild.

Edit…oops, I forgot Kazeem.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:37]

Some decent analysis there noah. I do wonder what formation we'll play next season as I believe previously Garner has favoured a back four. I wonder if when he came in due to the personnel and the fact we'd had recent success with a back three he decided to stick with it. You probably need four centre backs regardless but if Dallison is one of those four maybe you need five! I can see Chambers getting another year at least, he starts every time he's available for every manager he's played under so it would seem a strange decision to release someone who plays so often, we've seen it happen before though. Feel like it's been a while since we've had a young centre back progress to the first team, was Kent the last one who really made it? I rated Cameron James previously I thought he was unfortunate not be given more opportunities here. I think it's so tough to try and make it as a young centre back in League Two though just down the the sheer physical nature of the football at this level.

League Two Observations on 22:45 - Apr 29 with 1804 viewsdurham_exile

After the League Two results today Mansfield have blown their slim play off opportunity.

Looks like they would have to win 5-0 at the JCS Monday week and even that might not be enough.

We want to win too after the disappointment of today's unlucky defeat.

Plenty to play for.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

League Two Observations on 11:58 - May 2 with 1724 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Morris lasts just 18 games at Swindon. Going from 6th to 10th isn't great though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65451618

Wonder how many managerial changes there's been in League Two this season? We've had three different managers not including the interims!

League Two Observations on 19:26 - May 2 with 1687 viewsburnsieespana

Yes staggering how quickly Managers come and go.
Not many survived the season.
I expect more will go in the close season but hopefully BG will not be tempted away as feel he could put together a really good squad next season.
His recent Sky Sports interview boded well for us and was surprised to see his depth of coaching over the
last years when he had to stop playing as a very young guy.
League Two Observations on 20:39 - May 3 with 1630 viewsdurham_exile

Bradford City have caught avian flu and hit the buffers at Crewe tonight.
Already 2-0 down which will give the Stags some confidence for Monday.

Durham_exile

League Two Observations on 21:24 - May 3 with 1618 viewsghughes11

League Two Observations on 20:39 - May 3 by durham_exile

Bradford City have caught avian flu and hit the buffers at Crewe tonight.
Already 2-0 down which will give the Stags some confidence for Monday.

2-2 now! Out of contract at the end of the season Andy Cook scores just after the start of the 2nd half and then the equaliser comes after 54mins. 15 mins to go for Bradford to secure a play-off place or if they get the winner a slim chance of autos!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

League Two Observations on 21:52 - May 3 with 1615 viewsdurham_exile

League Two Observations on 21:24 - May 3 by ghughes11

2-2 now! Out of contract at the end of the season Andy Cook scores just after the start of the 2nd half and then the equaliser comes after 54mins. 15 mins to go for Bradford to secure a play-off place or if they get the winner a slim chance of autos!

Crewe win in the 103rd minute

Keeps Mansfield interested for Monday.

Durham_exile

League Two Observations on 22:09 - May 3 with 1612 viewsghughes11

A 1-0 defeat for Cambridge Utd leaves them needing to beat bottom of the table FGR at home to stay up IF MKD do not beat Burton Albion away and Morecambe do not beat Exeter City away!

Accrington Stanley's goal difference means that it is very unlikely they'll stay up. However, if they do beat Oxford Utd away 0-30 then that could drag Oxford into relegation. Not at the expense of Accrington mind, but any of the teams mentioned above.

Anyway, last game of the season always throws up some interesting scenarios and results. I'm just glad that Col U are not needing anything from the the match versus Mansfield. Although I would hate it if Mansfield do a "Bristol Rovers" on us!!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

League Two Observations on 00:25 - May 4 with 1602 viewsdurham_exile

League Two Observations on 22:09 - May 3 by ghughes11

A 1-0 defeat for Cambridge Utd leaves them needing to beat bottom of the table FGR at home to stay up IF MKD do not beat Burton Albion away and Morecambe do not beat Exeter City away!

Accrington Stanley's goal difference means that it is very unlikely they'll stay up. However, if they do beat Oxford Utd away 0-30 then that could drag Oxford into relegation. Not at the expense of Accrington mind, but any of the teams mentioned above.

Anyway, last game of the season always throws up some interesting scenarios and results. I'm just glad that Col U are not needing anything from the the match versus Mansfield. Although I would hate it if Mansfield do a "Bristol Rovers" on us!!

I think we will bow out with victory over the stags on Monday.

Despite their defeat tonight the Bantams only need a point on Monday.

Seems the Stags will remain in a rut which frankly I don't mind in the slightest.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

League Two Observations on 16:05 - May 6 with 1499 viewsbwildered

According to recent interview with Hartlepool club president, in 2020 Jeff Stelling was approached by intermediaries about a prospect of a Hollywood takeover with the promise of super rich individuals transforming the club. The chairman Rij Singh was sceptical and after growing delays they moved to …..Wrexham .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

League Two Observations on 21:53 - May 6 with 1460 viewswessex_exile

League Two Observations on 16:05 - May 6 by bwildered

According to recent interview with Hartlepool club president, in 2020 Jeff Stelling was approached by intermediaries about a prospect of a Hollywood takeover with the promise of super rich individuals transforming the club. The chairman Rij Singh was sceptical and after growing delays they moved to …..Wrexham .

Hahaha - that's a proper Pete Maclaine story!

Up the U's

League Two Observations on 12:56 - May 9 with 1386 viewsburnsieespana

Doncaster sacked Danny Schofield today.
I wonder how many others will go before stsrt of the new season?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024