Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? 11:41 - Nov 14 with 7930 viewsSandanista

Islam, Christianity and Judaism have largely the same roots and basis-religions that dictate your choices in life.These religions have caused much conflict and bloodshed, usually between each other or sects of the same religion.

Should all religion be banned and we move forward with humanist and general moral principles? Or should we allow religion if fully tolerant and supportive of others-as some forms of Buddishm and elements of Sikh doctrine. Or should we ban the notion of all 'sky faries'.

Interested to know thoughts.
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:14 - Dec 31 with 927 viewsGwyn737

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 09:29 - Dec 31 by Sirjohnalot

I was brought up in the Church and it has always given my parents and continue to give the a lot of joy and comfort, my dad lost his brother and mum within days of each other and it helped him a lot. My parents are the kindest, most helpful people I’ve ever met, they’d would do anything for anyone and my brother and I had the most wonderful childhood you could ever want (not money but love). However, they’d would’ve been the same, religion or not.

When I was about 12, I started to wonder why you had to believe in God to heaven, why, if you spent your life, say in Africa, looking after orphans but didn’t believe in God, would you go to hell, but if you loved an awful life and asked for forgiveness before you died, you spent your life in paradise. That from the at age, didn’t sit well with me, plus the obvious question as Stephen Fry was asked what he’d ask if he met God ‘kids with cancer ? Really ?

I was in Sunday School when I was around 11 and were talking about Judas and how evil he was. I asked that if Jesus was born to die for us and that was the purpose of his being born, then surely judas purpose was to betray him, and therefore he had no free will or choice so should not be hated as without him, Jesus wouldn’t have been crucified. I was not to be naughty,

I don’t believe that religion is the cause of all the wars, the people who do these things, use it as an excuse for the evil ways, apartheid was justified by some obscure verse in the bible as it the awful way women are treated in various parts of the world.

The foundations of most religions is peace, but any ancient text can be quoted to pretty much do what you want it say.

For me religion simply is ‘be excellent to one another ‘. That’s it, no condemnation, just don’t be an arse.

Humanism, then? 😉
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 19:15]
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:34 - Dec 31 with 897 viewsSirjohnalot

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:14 - Dec 31 by Gwyn737

Humanism, then? 😉
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 19:15]

Johnnyanity
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:36 - Dec 31 with 891 viewsGwyn737

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:34 - Dec 31 by Sirjohnalot

Johnnyanity

You’re not the messiah, you’re a very naughty boy!
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:39 - Dec 31 with 889 viewsCatullus

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 18:39 - Dec 31 by Sirjohnalot

Evil people are responsible for it, as I said above do you honestly think people who kill in the name of religion or priests who sexually assault wouldn’t do it anyway ? You can simplify all you want but it’s not right, I’m sure you’ll ‘stand by every word’ but have a think about an alternative point of view.

Those responsible for apartheid quoted a verse in the bible ‘Look not upon me, because I [am] black, because the sun hath looked upon me’ from Song of Solomon as a reason to hate non whites. They hated people other than them, without the Bible, they’d have found another reason.

People who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam would do it for political reasons (uk involvement in past wars ) as reasons.

The crusades would have been about taking land and expanding our empire. People who want to commit terrible crimes will justify it. You and I, I’m sure, have dealt with many blokes who control women and beat them up simply to control them because they’re cowards and can’t handle strong women. They aren’t religious. Many people who are religious quote the Bible (male disciples, ‘It’s better to life in damnation than with a troublesome and quarrelsome wife ‘. End result is the same. One uses religion the other doesn’t. Result the same.

Evil people will find a reason for their evil acts

Thing is, all those people in religion dressed themselves up as being good, many of them were but at it's core the leadership were always about control and many of those leaders were nasty, evil people, in my opinion.

I've said it before, many people I have known who were regular church goers only went to show the word they were good people but it was ony advertising and they were anything but good people.

My gran and 2 of her friends were regulars in Chapel and all 3 of them were good people but others at her chapel I knew were utter hypocrites.
My sister was baptised in Mount Pleasant church on the Kingsway, a year later she walked away from that Church and never went to any church again. The things she has said about that place and its minister I couldn't repeat on here.

I guess I am a humanist at heart and though I do try not to be I know I am as big a hypocrite as most other people, that's the price of being human.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:45 - Dec 31 with 876 viewsonehunglow

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:39 - Dec 31 by Catullus

Thing is, all those people in religion dressed themselves up as being good, many of them were but at it's core the leadership were always about control and many of those leaders were nasty, evil people, in my opinion.

I've said it before, many people I have known who were regular church goers only went to show the word they were good people but it was ony advertising and they were anything but good people.

My gran and 2 of her friends were regulars in Chapel and all 3 of them were good people but others at her chapel I knew were utter hypocrites.
My sister was baptised in Mount Pleasant church on the Kingsway, a year later she walked away from that Church and never went to any church again. The things she has said about that place and its minister I couldn't repeat on here.

I guess I am a humanist at heart and though I do try not to be I know I am as big a hypocrite as most other people, that's the price of being human.

My father went to Mount for 40 years.
It killed our family basically but at least he was happy to meet Jesus

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:48 - Dec 31 with 863 viewsJack123

There was a reason in Biblical times that homosexuality was frowned upon, it has pushed us into silly times.

Wish i was born about 1935, it's ok to be nice, but no way the promotion of homosexuality, and trans stuff.

libera nos a malo

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:52 - Dec 31 with 858 viewsonehunglow

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:48 - Dec 31 by Jack123

There was a reason in Biblical times that homosexuality was frowned upon, it has pushed us into silly times.

Wish i was born about 1935, it's ok to be nice, but no way the promotion of homosexuality, and trans stuff.

Homosexuality still frowned upon by most of Africa,a continent where the man was pre eminent in converting the natives to Christ

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:54 - Dec 31 with 851 viewsCatullus

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:45 - Dec 31 by onehunglow

My father went to Mount for 40 years.
It killed our family basically but at least he was happy to meet Jesus

It was when she was 18 which was 1980, I forget the ministers name but that whole place was mean, full of controlling, dominating people.

My stepmums mother was devotee and she ended up completely off her trolley.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:57 - Dec 31 with 841 viewsSirjohnalot

I can only speak of the chapel I went to. Pleasant people, now all in their 80s, place is virtually empty now. Brilliant church organ though. They still use it for competitions
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:25 - Dec 31 with 824 viewsDr_Winston

Most of the religious people I know are either incredibly stupid or just plain odd. About 80/20 in favour of the former.

In years gone by it probably served some sort of purpose, but we really need to be rid of it now. I'd completely sever the church/state link in the UK (boot the Bishops out of the HoL), turn school RE lessons into atheism lessons, remove any and all tax exemptions for religious institutions and ban church/mosque/synagogue/whatever attendance for under 18's.

Demographics will rid us of Christianity, but the others will need work.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:40 - Dec 31 with 818 viewsonehunglow

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:54 - Dec 31 by Catullus

It was when she was 18 which was 1980, I forget the ministers name but that whole place was mean, full of controlling, dominating people.

Was it Morris?

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:41 - Dec 31 with 818 viewsWingstandwood

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 19:54 - Dec 31 by Catullus

Sadly some mess with people's heads with the sole intent to create as much guilt and fear in order to force people to attend church, so that (*cough, cough, cough*) money can go straight into the collection plate or handed over for other stuff e.g. donations etc.

Apparently obeying the ten commandments is no longer good enough to some. More effort is required apparently. That was according to the revolting Presbyterian couple I had an unfortunate encounter with, albeit not as a church member of theirs!

But if you attend THEIR church, and THEIR church ONLY every week, you will then form the required-mandatory spiritual (their emotional blackmailing words) "relationship with Christ" that is a must to save you from hell. Armchair Christians go to hell apparently!

Some Christians (not all) are truly manipulative, sick and evil!

Argus!

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:52 - Dec 31 with 798 viewsSirjohnalot

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:41 - Dec 31 by Wingstandwood

Sadly some mess with people's heads with the sole intent to create as much guilt and fear in order to force people to attend church, so that (*cough, cough, cough*) money can go straight into the collection plate or handed over for other stuff e.g. donations etc.

Apparently obeying the ten commandments is no longer good enough to some. More effort is required apparently. That was according to the revolting Presbyterian couple I had an unfortunate encounter with, albeit not as a church member of theirs!

But if you attend THEIR church, and THEIR church ONLY every week, you will then form the required-mandatory spiritual (their emotional blackmailing words) "relationship with Christ" that is a must to save you from hell. Armchair Christians go to hell apparently!

Some Christians (not all) are truly manipulative, sick and evil!

My English Lit A level lecturer was brilliant. She was a minister, her favourite film was life of Brian, swore like a trooper and spent her weekends taking meals to homeless people. She missed a lot of her Sunday sermons as was often in peoples houses who called her as they needed help, shopping etc. Very ‘everyone is welcome ‘ fell out with people on her church over their stance on gay rights telling them ‘Jesus would definitely have gay disciples’ . She was brilliant, exactly what Christianity should be. To her it wasn’t a religion it was a lifestyle.
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 21:06 - Dec 31 with 791 viewsWingstandwood

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:52 - Dec 31 by Sirjohnalot

My English Lit A level lecturer was brilliant. She was a minister, her favourite film was life of Brian, swore like a trooper and spent her weekends taking meals to homeless people. She missed a lot of her Sunday sermons as was often in peoples houses who called her as they needed help, shopping etc. Very ‘everyone is welcome ‘ fell out with people on her church over their stance on gay rights telling them ‘Jesus would definitely have gay disciples’ . She was brilliant, exactly what Christianity should be. To her it wasn’t a religion it was a lifestyle.

Generally the Christians that do great deeds in the community and abroad with missionary work etc tend to be the last type to mess with people's heads.

Argus!

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 21:20 - Dec 31 with 782 viewsGwyn737

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:52 - Dec 31 by Sirjohnalot

My take on that is you don’t need to be religious to do those things.

Generally I’ve no issue with good folks taking comfort from religion, as long as it doesn’t affect me. That tends to be chapel/Anglican types these days.

On the flip side the former pope died today, a reprehensible individual in my opinion.
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 21:32 - Dec 31 with 761 viewsSirjohnalot

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 21:20 - Dec 31 by Gwyn737

My take on that is you don’t need to be religious to do those things.

Generally I’ve no issue with good folks taking comfort from religion, as long as it doesn’t affect me. That tends to be chapel/Anglican types these days.

On the flip side the former pope died today, a reprehensible individual in my opinion.

That’s exactly what her view was. She hardly mentioned religion, she just helped people. They came first before any Sunday service.
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 00:05 - Jan 1 with 735 viewsJack123

Sorry John, but she is wrong saying Jesus would have gay disciples.. She's a bloody fruitcake.

libera nos a malo

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 00:14 - Jan 1 with 721 viewsSirjohnalot

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 00:05 - Jan 1 by Jack123

Sorry John, but she is wrong saying Jesus would have gay disciples.. She's a bloody fruitcake.

Think her point was he preached love, hung out with a prostitute, told people to wind their neck in when they criticised others. He is never said to have criticised gay people
Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 01:05 - Jan 1 with 703 viewsJack123

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 00:14 - Jan 1 by Sirjohnalot

Think her point was he preached love, hung out with a prostitute, told people to wind their neck in when they criticised others. He is never said to have criticised gay people

Of course.

libera nos a malo

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 01:21 - Jan 1 with 700 viewsDJack

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 00:05 - Jan 1 by Jack123

Why wouldn't he?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 02:28 - Jan 1 with 686 viewsJack123

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 01:21 - Jan 1 by DJack

Why wouldn't he?

Hmm, No doubt Jesus had transgender as well.

[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 2:34]

libera nos a malo

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 03:03 - Jan 1 with 675 viewsJack123

libera nos a malo

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 07:43 - Jan 1 with 647 viewsCatullus

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 20:40 - Dec 31 by onehunglow

Was it Morris?

That's the one. I didn't like him the moment I met him and I was only 13. I always thought there was something strange about that place.

When I was working in the town centre I walked past it every day, gave me the heebie jeebies, there was always a large group outside on weekends, they'd try and talk to passers by, some of them. one tried to talk to me about god, massive fail. There is still something wrong about that place.

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 09:55 - Jan 1 with 617 viewsonehunglow

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 07:43 - Jan 1 by Catullus

That's the one. I didn't like him the moment I met him and I was only 13. I always thought there was something strange about that place.

When I was working in the town centre I walked past it every day, gave me the heebie jeebies, there was always a large group outside on weekends, they'd try and talk to passers by, some of them. one tried to talk to me about god, massive fail. There is still something wrong about that place.

I reflect and it also seems a sinister period in my life .

here s how ludicrous religion is

In football,two teams,both with players of Catholic and Muslim backgrounds.
We see the Muslims hands open looking skywards and kissing the grass and the Catholic boys picking up bits of grass then crossing themselves twice.
Who decides who wins

God or Allah.

It is crazy and no better than those in Africa we used to try to convert away from the witch doctor.

Religion: a social construct for subjugation of the population? on 10:35 - Jan 1 with 597 viewsPlankton

All unproven sky fairies
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024