Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success 21:10 - Dec 31 with 856 viewsdurham_exile

Happy New Year to all boarders.

The disappointment of the result (but not the performance) was obvious for all to see on Thursday evening. Frankly the Wimbledon celebrations were nauseating. In many ways that was far more difficult to accept than the defeat. Perhaps I am just getting more annoyed about the manner of our defeats. We controlled the game at 1-0, Big John was unlucky to strike the inside of the post when at 2-0 we would surely have won the game.

Then we switched off crucially and allowed the equaliser and worse still conceded yet another last-minute goal which ultimately won the game for the Dons.

Even then what would have been a deserved equaliser was cleared from the line and that was yet another sickening defeat.

So New Year’s day brings another tough game this time against Swindon Town led by Scott Lindsey and fresh from a win at Sixfields. In Tyrese Shade they have a potential matchwinner and we will have to bounce back hard from that morale busting defeat against Jackson’s Dons.

The hits keep on coming too. Matt Longstaff has returned to Newcastle, driven home by his family members where his knee injury will be properly assessed. His time at Colchester was hampered by a hamstring injury and then this latest setback.
Beryly Lubala has also cut short his loan to return to Blackpool. Another loanee who played only a handful of games and who also suffered injuries whilst with the U’s.

Cameron Coxe has also left on a permanent transfer to Boreham Wood.

It is as yet unclear as to which players we might be able to bring into the club. Dan Kemp from MK Dons an attacking midfield player is on the radar, but we still need a striker.

MB is keen to ensure that his squad is not overstretched over the festive period but a good team plays their best and most in form players.

Our goalkeeping woes have not helped this season with both “number ones” error prone. I am not sure which is the better keeper or which is the least likely to make mistakes. Pressure affects each player, but whereas an outfield player will largely survive a mistake, the shot stopper gets no such reprieve. O’Hara made a brilliant save the other evening, but then his mishandling arguably cost both goals. Similarly, Sam Hornby has also shown indifferent form at key times.

I would suggest that if considered fit then Hornby should play tomorrow. After all there is no sentiment in football, we must play the best XI and make the most inspired substitutions.

Has Kwesi Appiah returned to his parent club, when I thought we were lining up a bid for him.

Noah Chilvers has played superbly well for the last two games. A cynic might argue that he is trying to line up a move away from the club. However, he remains one of our better players and should start.

Our midfield players remain strong and if he can be nursemaided then Big John should start alongside Samson Tovide.

If Newby is fit then he must be returned to the match day squad. Is Ryan Clampin fit or not likewise has Tom Eastman returned from walking under ladders and running over black cats, such is his bad luck at being omitted from the squad. He is perhaps the Colchester equivalent of Harry Maguire.

I would also like to see the youngster Jayden Fevrier get more minutes up front in the second half.

The 3,5,2 formation (or 3,4,1,2) has shown itself to be positive over the last two games and can be trusted against Swindon.

If they are all fit then let us try the following tomorrow:

Hornby

Chambers Smith Dallison

Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Kazeem

Chilvers

Akinde Tovide

Subs:
O’Hara Chesters Huws Hannant Fevrier Marshall-Miranda Eastman

Weather tomorrow will be a mild 11 degrees Celsius partly cloudy with some bright interludes and dry.

Swindon will not bring more than 300 so the crowd may not quite make 4,000 but hopefully the faithful will make themselves known in the stands.

Let’s get the New Year underway with a vital three points against one of the promotion contenders.

Colchester to prevail 2-0 against the Robins.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 10:18 - Jan 1 with 759 viewsdurham_exile

Have just read that Dan Chesters is being recalled to West Ham.

He will probably be in their first team soon after yet another lamentable performance from the Hammers.

Signing Kemp sooner than later seems to make good sense.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 11:58 - Jan 1 with 730 viewsbwildered

Looks like the pre season loanees have not helped the cause. Bringing in 20yr old midfielders does not give me any encouragement that we are seriously sorting things out.

Top priority though is a decent keeper, two number twos does not bode well.

On the subject of the game, two for a short/ quick corner or otherwise just one to take the set piece please, has a waste of manpower otherwise with the player more effective in a scoring position .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 15:56 - Jan 1 with 663 viewsgerry_us

1-0 up at half time!
Scary
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 15:56 - Jan 1 with 663 viewswessex_exile

Well, after 20-25 minutes I thought we were in for a very difficult game. However, since the lengthy injury break, a chance for MB to put words in the ears of the U's, it's a completely different game, and in truth we could have been even further ahead. Great header from Hannant, even if he was really just looking to flick the corner into the danger area. More of the same second half please U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 17:10 - Jan 1 with 621 viewsburnsieespana

A vital three points gained.
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 17:23 - Jan 1 with 608 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 18:21 - Jan 1 with 552 viewsbwildered

Keeper O Hara redeems himself from previous game, with two great saves in the second half, to deny visitors any points. However poor finishing from Hannant and Kazeem, with two goalie blocks, could have made it far easier for the U’s.
Mistakes eradicated for this welcome three points, but distribution of ball just when possession was gained was erratic at times throughout, it helps so much if pressure of ball retention can be reliably maintained.
However six from nine, should be welcomed if a run can be put together, if not more false dawns .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 19:10 - Jan 1 with 530 viewsdurham_exile

I was at the Hospital this afternoon meeting my new Grandson who was born on New Year's Eve.

So obviously missed the game on iFollow.

Great victory from all accounts.

Those six points make all the difference.

I have ordered my ticket for Harrogate.
Then Rochdale and Hartlepool.

Another seven points and things will be looking much rosier.

48 points remains the target which is becoming more achievable.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 21:34 - Jan 1 with 481 viewsoxfcolu

A well fought out win against a team and fans I despise with a massive passion. Onwards and upwards.😁
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 22:16 - Jan 1 with 472 viewsGOSBTS

Congrats Durham, what a day!
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 22:19 - Jan 1 with 471 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 22:16 - Jan 1 by GOSBTS

Congrats Durham, what a day!

Many thanks GOSBTS

I feel elated by first baby news and the U's upturn in form.

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 23:28 - Jan 1 with 462 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 19:10 - Jan 1 by durham_exile

I was at the Hospital this afternoon meeting my new Grandson who was born on New Year's Eve.

So obviously missed the game on iFollow.

Great victory from all accounts.

Those six points make all the difference.

I have ordered my ticket for Harrogate.
Then Rochdale and Hartlepool.

Another seven points and things will be looking much rosier.

48 points remains the target which is becoming more achievable.

Up the U's

Massive congrats to Grandad, and of course Mum and Dad and the new arrival!

Up the U's

Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 09:08 - Jan 2 with 421 viewsburnsieespana

Congratulations to all concerned Durham.
When my son's first was born last March I got his Watts app with a picture as I was entering the lounge to wait at Seville airport. Showed it to the girl on reception and she produced glasses of sparkling stuff on the house!
Super U's to overcome the Robins in New Year success on 10:51 - Jan 2 with 406 viewswessex_exile

Incidentally, I didn’t think it at the time, and watching the replay back in slo-mo I still don’t think Noah’s saved attempt went out for a corner at all. I know we’d eventually score from the corner that followed the corner, but that should have been a definite penalty by my reckoning.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024