Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MB to oversee three consecutive victories 22:15 - Jan 13 with 1135 viewsdurham_exile

NB: There is to be a pitch inspection at 0900hrs on Saturday morning at Spotland.

Watch for updates — heavy overnight rain and some snow showers are expected.

After back-to-back wins and taking nine points from 12, the Super U’s led by MB travel to Rochdale on Saturday to do battle with Jim Bentley’s team fresh from their away win at Bradford City with former U’s stalwart Ian Henderson scoring twice in their 2-1 win.

The bottom of the table currently looks like this:

Newport 25 26
Harrogate 24 23
COL U 25 23
Crawley 24 22
Rochdale 25 20
Hartlepool 24 19
Gillingham 23 14

January has suddenly become a season defining month with the following matches still to come:

Rochdale A
Gillingham H
Salford H
Hartlepool A

The two points totals to get straight in our minds are:

48 for survival
70 for top seven

We have 23 at present so both are achievable, but realistically the figure of 48 is more achievable.

More to the point who is MB going to start with on Saturday.

The line-up at Harrogate was:

O’Hara
Chambers Smith Dallison
Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Kazeem
Chilvers
Akinde Tovide

Subs:
Hornby Hannant Sears Kelleher Read Newby Wood

Two of the new signings Read and Wood got some minutes during the game.

Colchester have made 5 signings during the window. Ages in parentheses.

Connor Hall (29) 2.5-year deal
Arthur Read (23) 2.5-year deal
Fiacre Kelleher (26) 2.5-year deal
Connor Wood (26) Loan
Matt Jay (26) 2.5-year deal

Our revised squad now looks like this: plus, squad numbers.

GK
Sam Hornby 1
Kieran O’Hara 13
Ted Collins 44

Defenders

Ryan Clampin 3
Luke Chambers 4
Tommy Smith 5
Tom Dallison 6
Fiacre Kelleher 15
Tom Eastman 18
Junior Tchamadeu 22
Connor Wood 23 (loan)
Connor Hall 29
Al-Amin Kazeem 30

Midfield

Luke Hannant 7
Cole Skuse 8
Alan Judge 10 (sadly long-term injury)
Noah Chilvers 14
Arthur Read 16
Ossama Ashley 17 (loan)
Alex Newby 19
Matt Jay 20
Emyr Huws 28
Marley Marshall-Miranda 33
Chay Cooper 37
Jayden Fevrier 42

Strikers

Kwesi Appiah 9 (loan)
Freddie Sears 11
John Akinde 24
Samson Tovide 34
Frank Nouble 45

The other player who was being touted was Danny Johnson currently a Mansfield player but on loan at Walsall. He stated that he was not keen to come to Colchester so he can FO.

All of which gives MB a headache. What does he do when the team (as shown against Harrogate) is playing so well. Does he introduce some of the new signings immediately or wait.

It is all about winning football matches and so you play your strongest team.
At the moment I would automatically select the following; O’Hara, Tchamadeu, Kazeem, Skuse, Ashley, Chilvers, Tovide that leaves just four more to be accommodated in the starting XI.

Those could be Matt Jay, Smith, Chambers and Dallison.

Therefore, if tomorrow’s game gets the go ahead I would play 3,4,2,1 as follows:

O’Hara

Chambers Smith Dallison

Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Kazeem

Chilvers Jay

Tovide

Subs
Hornby Kelleher Hannant Newby Read Wood Akinde

Establishing the new players must be achieved slowly as Chambers and Smith are gradually replaced at the back by Hall and Kelleher.

Matt Jay would be the obvious player to come straight in. He has been playing for Exeter and played as recently as Christmas. That may seem harsh on Big John but he has just played successive matches and there are still 21 games to play. He will still be needed.

Weather at Rochdale tomorrow afternoon will be 4 degrees Celsius, with light rain and cloud but the problem is tonight when heavy rain is forecast. I hope that the game can go ahead because we are playing very well and momentum is a good thing.
Scoreline 2-0 to Colchester.

Safe journey to the two coachloads from Colchester plus the Northern Exiles who will be there in force.

I look forward to the game and another three invaluable points for the Super U’s.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 22:20 - Jan 13 with 1131 viewsBlue4U2

Colchester have won each of their last two away league games; they haven't won three on the bounce in the same Football League campaign since December 2008 against Northampton Town, Leeds United and Brighton and Hove Albion.

Saw this on a Sky Bet page - interesting fact especially given that Leeds & Brighton are now in the Premiership!!!
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 01:00 - Jan 14 with 1091 viewsRSCOSWORTH

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 22:20 - Jan 13 by Blue4U2

Colchester have won each of their last two away league games; they haven't won three on the bounce in the same Football League campaign since December 2008 against Northampton Town, Leeds United and Brighton and Hove Albion.

Saw this on a Sky Bet page - interesting fact especially given that Leeds & Brighton are now in the Premiership!!!

That’s a long, long time ago! We’d only left Layer Road the previous season! Doesn’t bode well for tomorrow. I’d already predicted a Col U win too.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 01:02 - Jan 14 with 1090 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I think Hall will definitely be in the squad and he’s the one new signing that I wouldn’t be surprised to see start.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 09:05 - Jan 14 with 1052 viewsburnsieespana

Football is so unpredictable which is why we love it, I guess but for weeks we have urged MB to play a settled side and cut down the changes and now, just as he has seemingly found the right blend with 3 wins from 4 he has 5 pretty impressive new signings to integrate
I wait with interest to see what he does.
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 09:14 - Jan 14 with 1049 viewsdurham_exile

Still raining, let us hope that the spotland pitch drains well.

Decision awaited.

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 09:41 - Jan 14 with 1038 viewsdurham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 09:14 - Jan 14 by durham_exile

Still raining, let us hope that the spotland pitch drains well.

Decision awaited.

Pitch currently unplayable but referee has called for an inspection at 12 noon. Noah safe journey.

I will be setting off at 1130hrs.

It has stopped raining in this part of co Durham.

I am going to set off as planned.

Safe journey to a travelling faithful.

Up the U's
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 10:00]

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 10:26 - Jan 14 with 1007 viewsgerry_us

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 09:41 - Jan 14 by durham_exile

Pitch currently unplayable but referee has called for an inspection at 12 noon. Noah safe journey.

I will be setting off at 1130hrs.

It has stopped raining in this part of co Durham.

I am going to set off as planned.

Safe journey to a travelling faithful.

Up the U's
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 10:00]

Not acceptable. If it is not playable at 9.90 no amount of "SUN" is going to improve it by 12.00pm. I just feel for you guys on the U's bus if they call it off at 12.00.
Poor decision by Rochdale.
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 10:38 - Jan 14 with 1003 viewsdurham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 10:26 - Jan 14 by gerry_us

Not acceptable. If it is not playable at 9.90 no amount of "SUN" is going to improve it by 12.00pm. I just feel for you guys on the U's bus if they call it off at 12.00.

Gerry forecast is for dry conditions and so the ground staff are working on the surface.

I reckon they are confident that the pitch will be playable.

But I agree travelling fans are always at a disadvantage.

I reckon we will get some football.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 11:11 - Jan 14 with 991 viewswessex_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 10:26 - Jan 14 by gerry_us

To be fair, it's the referee's decision here. I'd imagine like the U's, Dale will be keen to play the game if the conditions allow, and the referee is giving it every chance of happening at the moment. My weather app says that light rain in Rochdale is set to stop in about half an hour with breezy conditions for most of the remainder of the afternoon. If the surface is still unplayable at the midday inspection, can the ref gamble on it drying out/ draining sufficiently in the next three hours, or is he duty-bound to call it off?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 11:22 - Jan 14 with 986 viewsgerry_us

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 11:11 - Jan 14 by wessex_exile

To be fair, it's the referee's decision here. I'd imagine like the U's, Dale will be keen to play the game if the conditions allow, and the referee is giving it every chance of happening at the moment. My weather app says that light rain in Rochdale is set to stop in about half an hour with breezy conditions for most of the remainder of the afternoon. If the surface is still unplayable at the midday inspection, can the ref gamble on it drying out/ draining sufficiently in the next three hours, or is he duty-bound to call it off?

Are you not on the train yet?
Oh..forgot; there aren't any
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 12:02 - Jan 14 with 976 viewsnoah4x4

On bus on A1 near Newark on Trent. Not raining here, but the Trent is ready to burst its banks. Hopefully, Rochdale have a super sopper. Wasn’t it Rochdale fans that travelled to Jobserve Stadium to see it called off at 13-00? Hope that’s not our fate having travelled so far. Two coachloads too.
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 12:23 - Jan 14 with 963 viewswessex_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 12:02 - Jan 14 by noah4x4

On bus on A1 near Newark on Trent. Not raining here, but the Trent is ready to burst its banks. Hopefully, Rochdale have a super sopper. Wasn’t it Rochdale fans that travelled to Jobserve Stadium to see it called off at 13-00? Hope that’s not our fate having travelled so far. Two coachloads too.

Game On everyone - woohoo!

Up the U's

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 13:08 - Jan 14 with 929 viewsthrillseeker

Durham - why would you drop Akinde on current form/ partnership with Tovide?
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 14:18 - Jan 14 with 909 viewsmfb_cufc

One change from the team that beat Harrogate, Wood replacing Kazeem.

mfb

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 14:36 - Jan 14 with 900 viewsdurham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 14:18 - Jan 14 by mfb_cufc

One change from the team that beat Harrogate, Wood replacing Kazeem.

TS only because it's asking a lot of Big John and to accommodate Jay.

In the event Wood in for Kazeem.

The pitch is absolutely immaculate.

It must drain superbly well.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 17:00 - Jan 14 with 833 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic result, and the winner from the most unlikely of sources - Skuse!!

Four wins out of five, three away wins on the trot, and thoroughly deserved even if it was via a goalkeeper horror show. Massive game next Saturday, battle of the cheque books coming up.

Up the U's

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 17:10 - Jan 14 with 812 viewsthrillseeker

Great result
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 18:25 - Jan 14 with 759 viewsnoah4x4

CUSA buses have been on a long detour across urban Yorkshire as the M62 is closed due to a multi-vehicle pile up. Just rejoined it. Everybody exhausted, sang our hearts out. Funny feeling not listening to moans and groans.
MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 18:31 - Jan 14 with 755 viewswessex_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 18:25 - Jan 14 by noah4x4

CUSA buses have been on a long detour across urban Yorkshire as the M62 is closed due to a multi-vehicle pile up. Just rejoined it. Everybody exhausted, sang our hearts out. Funny feeling not listening to moans and groans.

Safe travelling to you Noah and the rest of the Faithful. Hope everyone gets home with enough time to finish your celebrations appropriately!

Up the U's

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 18:44 - Jan 14 with 744 viewsdurham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 17:00 - Jan 14 by wessex_exile

Fantastic result, and the winner from the most unlikely of sources - Skuse!!

Four wins out of five, three away wins on the trot, and thoroughly deserved even if it was via a goalkeeper horror show. Massive game next Saturday, battle of the cheque books coming up.

Wessex justice was done.
Their keeper from half time onwards wasted so much time.

Cole Skuse MOTM in a team of super heros struck a superb shot and the keeper let it squirm under him.

The scenes at the end of the game were brilliant.

The faithful were in good voice throughout.
Thoroughly deserved victory.

Do not write off seventh place.
70 points is achievable.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 19:14 - Jan 14 with 726 viewswessex_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 18:44 - Jan 14 by durham_exile

Wessex justice was done.
Their keeper from half time onwards wasted so much time.

Cole Skuse MOTM in a team of super heros struck a superb shot and the keeper let it squirm under him.

The scenes at the end of the game were brilliant.

The faithful were in good voice throughout.
Thoroughly deserved victory.

Do not write off seventh place.
70 points is achievable.

Up the U's

Brilliant Durham, I'll have some of what you're having tonight, and why not the play-offs whilst it's still mathematically possible.

This illustrates my point about wasting time perfectly. Yes it's frustrating, but isn't it magnificent when a team wastes so much time, concedes a late goal, and then realises they've spunked away their own opportunity to then do anything about it - priceless!

Up the U's!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 20:19]

Up the U's

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 19:35 - Jan 14 with 717 viewsdurham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 19:14 - Jan 14 by wessex_exile

Brilliant Durham, I'll have some of what you're having tonight, and why not the play-offs whilst it's still mathematically possible.

This illustrates my point about wasting time perfectly. Yes it's frustrating, but isn't it magnificent when a team wastes so much time, concedes a late goal, and then realises they've spunked away their own opportunity to then do anything about it - priceless!

Up the U's!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 20:19]

Definitely and Cole Skuse was outstanding.

He has so much time on the ball which he creates for himself. The number of telling 5 yard passes are out of this world and his goal was so deserved.

When you think back to that Crewe game which we so unlucky to lose that was the start of MB's influence.

The U's are like a proper team now. They play with passion, commitment and the most telling aspect is that passes are now forward.

Also the three centre backs are playing superbly well.

All the new players will get a chance of a regular start as others head for the exit.

70 points will be enough for top seven.

It is achievable.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 20:27 - Jan 14 with 686 viewsLeadbelly

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 19:35 - Jan 14 by durham_exile

Definitely and Cole Skuse was outstanding.

He has so much time on the ball which he creates for himself. The number of telling 5 yard passes are out of this world and his goal was so deserved.

When you think back to that Crewe game which we so unlucky to lose that was the start of MB's influence.

The U's are like a proper team now. They play with passion, commitment and the most telling aspect is that passes are now forward.

Also the three centre backs are playing superbly well.

All the new players will get a chance of a regular start as others head for the exit.

70 points will be enough for top seven.

It is achievable.
Up the U's

The centre backs were far from superb for the Rochdale goal. Still, a win’s a win.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

MB to oversee three consecutive victories on 22:39 - Jan 14 with 639 viewsburnsieespana

Excellent result. Well done MB and the revitalised U's.
Starting to eat my humble pie which am more than happy to do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024