Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 24275 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 00:56 - Jul 28 with 2157 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Boom! Boom! Deluxe, NZ based QPR fans (3 out of 4 of them anyway) just smashed it over at one of the biggest Aussie festivals.

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Guitar playing thread on 07:45 - Jul 28 with 2108 viewsSK_hoops

Best guitarist of this generation imo:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kwVtNqYVWZs&pp=ygUZdG9zaW4gYWJhc2kgdGVtcHRpbmcgdGltZ
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 7:47]
Guitar playing thread on 09:48 - Jul 28 with 2049 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 07:45 - Jul 28 by SK_hoops

Best guitarist of this generation imo:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kwVtNqYVWZs&pp=ygUZdG9zaW4gYWJhc2kgdGVtcHRpbmcgdGltZ
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 7:47]

Nice, Tosin is a fabulous guitarist and his two hand tapping is something else. I've got his band, Animals as Leaders, latest CD and it's excellent. I particularly like the contrast between the faster passages and the sections when they slow it down.

I recently stumbled across The Yuval Ron Trio and I love the way Yuval plays a succession of slow, ringing chords, then follows it with a blast of two hand tapping (I think I have posted this before):

Danny Beardsley is another newish guitarist I love. I dream of playing only half as fast as these maestros!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 12:13 - Jul 28 with 2027 viewsBluce_Ree

Tosin's sweep picking and that crazy double picking thing he does is all totally insane. Man's not really got any tunes though.

Guitar playing thread on 10:27 - Aug 29 with 1931 viewsBluce_Ree

Bought myself a cheap and cheerful Harley Benton PRS copy. Hollow body too as it's basically going to live in my guitar bag and go to my jazz lessons. Had a good play on it yesterday and its okay. Frets need a polish and I'm going to buy some replacement tuners, locking ones.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cst_24hb_tortoise_flame.htm

240 quid. No real issues.

My jazz odyssey continues. It's super slow progress but I'm really glad I'm doing it.

Guitar playing thread on 13:14 - Aug 29 with 1869 viewsguitarzan

The journey towards jazz guitar will increase your understanding of the instrument and help with other styles of guitar
Guitar playing thread on 13:24 - Aug 29 with 1842 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 13:14 - Aug 29 by guitarzan

The journey towards jazz guitar will increase your understanding of the instrument and help with other styles of guitar

This is definitely true. I'm learning loads about the guitar and about theory.

I just wish it'd click in my brain a lot quicker. I'm still trying to work things out on the fly rather than it being more intuitive.

Guitar playing thread on 08:28 - Sep 4 with 1741 viewsBluce_Ree

Turns out that jazz players use .12 gauge strings as it keeps all those weird chords more stable. I had a go on an ES-125 yesterday with 12s and it was actually pretty playable. The action was unbelievably low but apparently that's okay because 12s don't buzz as much.

Dull post, yes. But anyway, I learned something.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 10:28 - Sep 4 with 1705 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not quite playing, more building, but has anyone felt confident enough to go down this route?
https://www.guitarkit.shop/en-gb

The grass is always greener.

Guitar playing thread on 10:35 - Sep 4 with 1701 viewsbosh67

My girlfriend says I’m as good in bed as I am at playing the guitar. Strange comment considering I can’t play guitar.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Guitar playing thread on 11:23 - Sep 4 with 1692 viewsguitarzan

I use Thomastic 12 tops cos the bottom string is only 50 which makes it easier on the fingers
Guitar playing thread on 08:21 - Sep 29 with 1557 viewsRs_Holy

Off to Kos on Wednesday for a fortnight and the thought of 2 weeks with no guitar was playing on my mind a bit.
So I've spent even more dosh on guitar stuff and purchased one of these... Should fit nicely in my suitcase :)

Guitar playing thread on 09:32 - Sep 29 with 1520 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 08:21 - Sep 29 by Rs_Holy

Off to Kos on Wednesday for a fortnight and the thought of 2 weeks with no guitar was playing on my mind a bit.
So I've spent even more dosh on guitar stuff and purchased one of these... Should fit nicely in my suitcase :)

Nice. I recently went on a long holiday and I too was concerned about not playing guitar for so long. I thought I might forget how to play the collection of songs and exercises I practise religiously. Luckily, no, amazingly, they were etched into my brain and I didn't need to dig out the sheet music.

Have a great holiday.

PS: I have been trying two hand tapping for the first time recently. I now play like Van Halen... Alex Van Halen

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 16:27 - Oct 15 with 1345 viewsR_from_afar

Some food for thought in this list of the top 250 guitarists:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/andy-s

Guitar playing thread on 08:26 - Oct 16 with 1269 viewsRs_Holy

Guitar playing thread on 16:27 - Oct 15 by R_from_afar

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/andy-s

Thanks for posting… I cannot argue with that top 5 👍👍👍
Guitar playing thread on 22:53 - Oct 17 with 1186 viewscolinallcars

I wonder if you could furnish me with the top 5. I was taken ill after seeing Jerry Reed at number 198, considerably behind such guitar geniuses as Dave Davies, Paul McCartney and various punk guitarists.
Guitar playing thread on 08:53 - Oct 18 with 1149 viewsRs_Holy

Guitar playing thread on 22:53 - Oct 17 by colinallcars

I wonder if you could furnish me with the top 5. I was taken ill after seeing Jerry Reed at number 198, considerably behind such guitar geniuses as Dave Davies, Paul McCartney and various punk guitarists.

5 Jeff Beck
4 Eddie Van Halen
3 Jimmy Page
2 Chuck Berry
1 Jimi Hendrix
Guitar playing thread on 09:11 - Oct 18 with 1145 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I love PJ Harvey (and she knows it as she caught me checking her out as I didn't recognise her and she broke into a big smile, then I realised it was her and she'd had a shorter do.) but number 49?

Dude from Red Hot chilli Peppers above Ritchie Blackmore pfff.

"Our new expanded list was made by the editors and writers of Rolling Stone." Hmmmmm

This was the PJ night 2004! Man.

[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 23:30]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Guitar playing thread on 11:21 - Oct 18 with 1110 viewsSonofpugwash

These kind of polls are all ignorant bollocks.No Allan Holdsworth?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 13:14 - Oct 19 with 1057 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 11:21 - Oct 18 by Sonofpugwash

You're in good company with that opinion. Allan was one hell of a guitarist.

Kaki King is rightly on the list (at number 210), and in this video, using a very innovative lightshow, she plays some great stuff, including a track, "Teek," in which she uses an unusual piece of kit, a Passerelle Bridge.

Co-developed by King and luthier Rachel Rosenkrantz, the Passerelle is inserted under the strings of the guitar's 16th fret. It turns any six-string instrument into a 12-note one that sounds like a zither, Japanese koto, or Chinese guzheng. It can be used for effects, or as a different instrument.

Guitar playing thread on 13:25 - Oct 19 with 1048 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 11:21 - Oct 18 by Sonofpugwash

The people compiling it had obviously never heard of him. Head and shoulders abover the vast majority of guitarists.

Kaki king is great. Saw her live once
Guitar playing thread on 14:43 - Oct 19 with 1018 viewsSonofpugwash

Guitar playing thread on 13:14 - Oct 19 by R_from_afar

You're in good company with that opinion. Allan was one hell of a guitarist.

Kaki King is rightly on the list (at number 210), and in this video, using a very innovative lightshow, she plays some great stuff, including a track, "Teek," in which she uses an unusual piece of kit, a Passerelle Bridge.

Co-developed by King and luthier Rachel Rosenkrantz, the Passerelle is inserted under the strings of the guitar's 16th fret. It turns any six-string instrument into a 12-note one that sounds like a zither, Japanese koto, or Chinese guzheng. It can be used for effects, or as a different instrument.

Haven't seen the list - did Shawn Lane make it?If not why not....

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 15:19 - Oct 19 with 996 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 14:43 - Oct 19 by Sonofpugwash

Haven't seen the list - did Shawn Lane make it?If not why not....

There's a link to the list higher up the page. There are 250 artists to get through!

Guitar playing thread on 23:40 - Oct 20 with 952 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not even in the top 100.

[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 23:48]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Guitar playing thread on 09:33 - Oct 21 with 918 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 16:27 - Oct 15 by R_from_afar

Erin Smith of Bratmobile above Andy Summers of the police?! If you've never heard of bratmobile, listen and tell me on which planet that is true.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024