Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lets start all over again 01:43 - Jan 27 with 2817 viewsjokerthief

I am one of many fans who watched Reg Jenkins Stan Millburn, the 2 greatest players to ever wear the shirt. followed home and away, from the middle of the 1950,s.
Nowadays called an old goat, or toothless wonder while trying to buy a ticket to the game without the latest 12 G mobile phone. This team i,m steeped in personal interest and support I think are now doomed. Same as Oldham and Bury, two teams with more success and history than ourselves. I am not the future as a fan, but I think the only future these 3 areas have, Is with a tri-joint come together. The venue and stadium to be built by investors who care. Its been muted many times, but now is definitely the only time it could work.
Let us get together, and not die as individual nobodies.
Lets start all over again on 02:56 - Jan 27 with 2776 viewsA_Newby

Have wondered about something similar with just ourselves and Oldham. Joint venture based in new ground or training facilities somewhere near junction 21 on the M62. Could give a new joint club a steady home support of 6 to 7 thousand to build upon.
Lets start all over again on 03:28 - Jan 27 with 2764 viewsSandyman

Go on, I'll bite. The idea was proposed years ago by Ian Stott and got nowhere. No fans of the three clubs were interested at all.

bury are dead. Their fan owned version is going nicely but the divisions between those who hate them, and have a fantasy about old bury being resurrected like a "Young Frankenstein" are viciously bitter.

Rochdale are in a mess but (for now) have league status and a stadium. And fans who still sing songs despising bury and Oldham.

Oldham have a benefactor to whom the fans are grateful. Why would they want to share any of that after fighting off bad owners?

I'd find another club or none to follow rather than amalgamate with the buckets and the BIFFO's. This idea is "no go" and will be unwelcome by fans in the three towns as it ever was. All are too proud of their local identities. Stott was looking at calling the project "Manchester North End". You might as well try and amalgamate Celtic and Rangers or Burnley and Blackburn Rovers or Cardiff and Swansea. Absolute non-starter. The game is too tribal for any such whimsy to work, even in three North-west towns whose clubs are not very good.
Lets start all over again on 07:51 - Jan 27 with 2577 views442Dale

Lets start all over again on 02:56 - Jan 27 by A_Newby

Have wondered about something similar with just ourselves and Oldham. Joint venture based in new ground or training facilities somewhere near junction 21 on the M62. Could give a new joint club a steady home support of 6 to 7 thousand to build upon.

Training facilities, maybe.

A ground? Not a chance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Lets start all over again on 13:23 - Jan 27 with 2268 views442Dale

Interesting thread, especially with the news reported in the ‘multi-club model’ thread.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Lets start all over again on 15:31 - Jan 27 with 2161 viewsDaleiLama

Lets start all over again on 13:23 - Jan 27 by 442Dale

Interesting thread, especially with the news reported in the ‘multi-club model’ thread.

Last time I brought my g/fs dad, he said the only way he could see Dale, Latics and Bury being viable would be to pool everything and benefit from scale. Hypothetically.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Lets start all over again on 17:50 - Jan 27 with 1982 viewsfinberty

Lets start all over again on 03:28 - Jan 27 by Sandyman

Go on, I'll bite. The idea was proposed years ago by Ian Stott and got nowhere. No fans of the three clubs were interested at all.

bury are dead. Their fan owned version is going nicely but the divisions between those who hate them, and have a fantasy about old bury being resurrected like a "Young Frankenstein" are viciously bitter.

Rochdale are in a mess but (for now) have league status and a stadium. And fans who still sing songs despising bury and Oldham.

Oldham have a benefactor to whom the fans are grateful. Why would they want to share any of that after fighting off bad owners?

I'd find another club or none to follow rather than amalgamate with the buckets and the BIFFO's. This idea is "no go" and will be unwelcome by fans in the three towns as it ever was. All are too proud of their local identities. Stott was looking at calling the project "Manchester North End". You might as well try and amalgamate Celtic and Rangers or Burnley and Blackburn Rovers or Cardiff and Swansea. Absolute non-starter. The game is too tribal for any such whimsy to work, even in three North-west towns whose clubs are not very good.

I remember that well.

It seemed that, whatever the economic sense and attraction that may have existed in the idea, the obviously hastily-devised name sounded the death knell before the idea got beyond the press conference where Stott first raised it publicly. The name, and the identity, would be crucial in any such venture.

What they came up with must have been rushed-out under 'Any Other Business' - and killed the idea at a stroke. None of the clubs (or the towns they bear the name of), had or have anything to do with Manchester. Long may that be the case.
Lets start all over again on 17:53 - Jan 27 with 1968 viewskel

Despite it being a stupid idea, I’m more shocked that the OP has completed a whole post without mentioning players taking the knee. I’d congratulate him but he put me on ignore for challenging him last time.
Lets start all over again on 14:51 - Jan 30 with 1530 viewsDaleInTheSmoke

Ah me yes, I remember Manchester North End; at the time I remember saying 'As long as the merged club is called Rochdale Football Club and plays at Spotland, we accept the unconditional surrender of Oldham and Bury' which just goes to show what a smug little fecker I was back then! Although I do still believe the idea would be difficult, not to say impossible, to sell to any of the ORB axis (I was going to go with BRO but that seems at bit pally), I also understand that the idea is still attractive, especially to people like jokerthief who, after a lifetime of watching mediocre (and sometimes, like now, that's the kindest word we can use) football at the Dale, find themselves staring at the abyss that is Div 5.

I happened to mention MNE to my best mate who is a rabid City fan (and because he is my best mate, very pro-Dale), and my assertion that 'there is room in Manchester for another premiership team' makes him positively foam at the mouth with irritation. Thing is sometimes I get so fed up, as I'm sure we all do, with the aforementioned 'mediocre' football that the idea of amalgamating North Manchester talent is some way does seem alluring. But at the end of the day, I reckon the practicalities would be just too difficult to overcome; we're just going to have to live out our football lives as individual nobodies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024