Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Delilah - where do we go from here......? 09:32 - Feb 3 with 735 viewsnoah4x4

The Welsh Rugby Union has banned the singing of Delilah, as its lyrics include...

She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My, my, my, Delilah
Why, why, why, Delilah
So before they come to break down the door
Forgive me Delilah, I just couldn't take anymore.

The suggestion then is that Queens Bohemian Rhapsody should also be banned as it too mentions a murder....

Mamaaa,
Just killed a man,
Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger,
Now he's dead
Mamaaa, life had just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away

My contribution to this debate enquires, should we next ban Ernie, the fastest milkman in the west...?

Now Sue she ran between them
And tried to keep them apart
And Ernie pushed her aside
And a rock cake caught him underneath his heart
And he looked up in pained surprise
As the concrete hardened crust
Of a stale pork pie caught him in the eye
And Ernie bit the dust
Poor Ernie (Ernie)
And he drove the fastest milk cart in the west
… Ernie was only fifty-two, he didn't want to die

Two questions arise......

1. What other popular songs should be banned based on similar principles?

I reckon pretty well the entire genre of Country and Western that always seem to embrace some tragedy or misfortune.

2. But where next, and is the prohibition justified?

Surely Delilah is a love story, which has mental health connotations, tragic consequences, regret and remorse, "Forgive me Delilah, I couldn't take any more". Doesn't analysis of its lyrics provoke positive debate? Discuss....
Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 18:03 - Feb 3 with 665 viewsdurham_exile

I will leave this thread to those with far more musical knowledge than me.

Suffice to say surely no-one can get upset at the Post Horn Gallop, except perhaps the Fox!

Durham_exile

Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 18:21 - Feb 3 with 661 viewsburnsieespana

Bit like Durham have not a great knowledge of music but wonder what Tom Jones is thinking.
Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 18:59 - Feb 3 with 657 viewsnoah4x4

Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 18:03 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

I will leave this thread to those with far more musical knowledge than me.

Suffice to say surely no-one can get upset at the Post Horn Gallop, except perhaps the Fox!

Is violence (and murder) towards animals not similarly abhorrent? Fox Hunting is illegal. So should the Post Horn Gallop also be banned? My earlier point was one can make a case to ban almost any music if sufficient voices are raised in objection.

I find it odd that society seems to want to erase all references to mankinds’ past demeanours. My history teacher advocated that teaching history was justified so that students will learn from the mistakes of others and not from their own. I might be wrong, but Delilah seems to be about problems in a relationship (“…….I could not take any more”), that escalated into a horrible tragedy, and then the regret and remorse of the perpetrator, when too late. Similarly, Bohemian Rhapsody “……..now I’ve thrown it all away”.

Surely these songs don’t glorify violence (unlike Gangsta Rap?) and instead warn of the consequences. Should we not learn from these warnings? Don’t let things get out of hand? I just find many decisions in the modern paradigm bizarre.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 19:00]
Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 21:44 - Feb 3 with 628 viewsoxfcolu

Would you be sectioned caught singing a Manfred Mann classic
There she was just a walking down the street singing doo wap a diddy, diddy dum diddy doo!😁
Snowflake brigade at work.
Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 01:40 - Feb 4 with 604 viewsLeadbelly

Somebody, somewhere will always have a reason to find offence at just about anything. And what will the WRU do if the entire crowd decide to sing Delilah, regardless of the ban? Eject everyone? Good luck with that.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 05:53 - Feb 4 with 595 viewsghughes11

It's all smoke and mirrors anyway to stop people talking about the real issues they are having within the WRU anyway and it's obviously working!

But in the spirit of the topic, how about banning:

"Pumped Up Kicks" is a song by American indie pop band Foster the People.

"Pumped Up Kicks" became the group's breakthrough hit and was one of the most popular songs of 2011. The song was written and recorded by frontman Mark Foster while he was working as a commercial jingle writer. Contrasting with the upbeat musical composition, the lyrics describe the homicidal thoughts of a troubled youth named Robert.

Lyrics:
"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet"

Turns out the song is actually about the growing trend in teenage mental illness and not about school shootings (even though the song was banned in certain U.S. radio stations in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Not that I've heard this song or Bohemian Rhapsody for that matter at any sporting event!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Delilah - where do we go from here......? on 11:06 - Feb 4 with 559 viewsbwildered

Let’s also ban the flashing lights pre kick off . Luckily I do not watch live sport at such a high profile live which requires this entertainment. It can trigger epilepsy and migraine in some and be uncomfortable to others, which is not pleasant at anytime.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024