Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's 23:42 - Feb 24 with 1190 viewsdurham_exile

So, what did we learn this week.

That Colchester would not be record breakers with a sixth successive Away win after a narrow defeat at Carlisle.

That Carlisle United will not gain automatic promotion.

That we finally have had our slim chance of a top seven place extinguished for this season.

That we still need 13 more points to be sure of League Two football next season.

Oh and we need another Manager/Head Coach, our 14th in the last 14 years.

According to a National Newspaper no sooner had MB got back to Colchester to mull over what might have been that his telephone rang on Monday morning and it was Rob Couhig the American owner of Wycombe Wanderers.

The next morning (Tuesday) he was making the journey around the M25 to meet Couhig in a hotel in Marlow. By 1100hrs that morning he had agreed terms and was on his way to the Wycombe training ground. By mid afternoon the word was out on the Colchester sites that MB was leaving us after 5 months to join Wycombe where he had spent his last 19 years.

Oh and one more thing there is no loyalty in football. All that kissing the badge and celebrating with the players and supporters at those famous Away wins recently was all cobblers.

MB was the real deal, he had transformed the club and started to achieve firm foundations to build on for next season. The next Parky if you will.

All that dashed after 5 months and one telephone call.

Ross Embleton, Dave Huzzey and Elliott Ward have taken over on a temporary basis until DC takes over in early March.

So, Northampton under the guidance of Jon Brady and who haven’t won for four games visit the JCS tomorrow.

Weather is forecast to be cloudy, dry and 6 degrees Celsius in Colchester.

Now what about the team:

O’Hara

Smith Kelleher Hall

Kazeem Ashley Read Wood

Chilvers

Hopper Tovide

Subs
Smith Newby Jay Akinde Appiah Marshall-Miranda Greenidge

Injuries are hurting the team at present. Coupled with the fact that Greenidge was too timid last week at Carlisle and we badly missed Junior Tchamadeu.

Score prediction — new Manager bounce, 3-0 to the Super U’s

Get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 14:12 - Feb 25 with 1095 viewsnoah4x4

Greenidge selected! What nonsense.

He was awful against Braintree, worse versus Carlisle. If you look at the video on Twitter today of players arriving at the stadium he looks like a startled rabbit in the headlights even in the corridor!

Please prove me wrong 🙏
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 14:48 - Feb 25 with 1086 viewsmfb_cufc

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 14:12 - Feb 25 by noah4x4

He was awful against Braintree, worse versus Carlisle. If you look at the video on Twitter today of players arriving at the stadium he looks like a startled rabbit in the headlights even in the corridor!

Please prove me wrong 🙏

To quote what Embleton said in a recent interview “I won’t pretend that I sit here and watch our games", because that’s not my job. So he wouldn't know how useless Greenidge has been.

mfb

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 15:10 - Feb 25 with 1075 viewsgerry_us

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 14:12 - Feb 25 by noah4x4

Please prove me wrong 🙏

Great cricketer though Noah.
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 15:14 - Feb 25 with 1070 viewsnoah4x4

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 15:10 - Feb 25 by gerry_us

Great cricketer though Noah.

I once stumped him in the Finchley Sixes charity event. But he had hit fifty in about four overs and he might have surrendered his wicket.
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 15:58 - Feb 25 with 1047 viewsWitham

Greengage is too slow to react to recover if a player goes past him.

But where was Ohara for the goal . I know we had others who could have cleared but just by coming for it the goal could have been prevented. Shame as we were on top and their fans were booing them
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 16:02 - Feb 25 with 1041 viewswessex_exile

Very frustrating, given we were on top in the 10 minutes leading up to their scrappy goal. Plenty of time to put it right though - Come on Col U!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 17:48 - Feb 25 with 1002 viewsnoah4x4

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 15:58 - Feb 25 by Witham

Greengage is too slow to react to recover if a player goes past him.

But where was Ohara for the goal . I know we had others who could have cleared but just by coming for it the goal could have been prevented. Shame as we were on top and their fans were booing them

Is Greenidge the worst player to ever wear a U's shirt? Always passes backwards or sideways. Loses ball in possession, never makes a tackle. For the goal, he just stood over it when a hefty boot was in order. That flummoxed O'Hara and the rest of our defence. I almost had time to run from the stand and clear it. Junior back next week!

We were the better team and absolutely battered them in the latter part of the second half, but nobody seems capable of putting the ball in the net. Typical Northampton, a scrappy 0-1 win.

One consolation, Bloomfield and Wycscum was found out at Shrewsbury , with a second goal scored by "Don't give him your name" Rekeil Pyke, formerly of Colchester United. How sweet, and no great damage for us as neither Hartlepool, Harrogate, Crawley or Rochdale took three points.
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 19:20 - Feb 25 with 952 viewsbwildered

Not clinical enough in the box for the U’s, with several clear cut chances not accepted. Thought we played tactics around the wrong way, with quick high front ball in the first half and no big John getting on the end of. Started to look disjointed with to many subs, hence formations, getting involved.
This side needs tightened up in terms of play, has the majority will be present for next seasons campaign.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 21:49 - Feb 25 with 903 viewsGOSBTS

First league game of the season for me (went to two League Cup games in August) and I feel I was a bit unlucky it coming the week Bloomfield left!

One of those games where Northampton will see it as a smash and grab, but if we'd stuck in an equaliser you'd say it was deserved. They offered little, but U's looked very disjointed and rudderless, which is to be expected I guess. Wind made it a freezing afternoon.

Lovely to be back though. Heard on radio that next manager is unlikely to be Cowley. Very disappointed as I think he'd be a perfect fit. Colchester United has so much unrealised potential that just needs take someone to unleash it.
Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 19:43 - Feb 27 with 766 viewsghughes11

Always good to compare our line up from the first game of the season away at The Cobblers to our last one on Saturday.

3 managers later we lined up with:

Colchester XI: O’Hara, Greenidge, Smith (Newby, 85), Appiah (Akinde, 59), Chilvers, Kelleher (Fevrier, 59), Read, Jay (Tovide, 68), Wood, Hopper, Hall

Subs: Smith, Ashley, Newby, Akinde, Tovide, Fevrier, Thorn

1 Sam Hornby
22 Junior Tchamadeu
3 Ryan Clampin
4 Luke Chambers (C)
18 Tom Eastman
8 Cole Skuse
10 Alan Judge
14 Noah Chilvers
7 Luke Hannant
24 John Akinde
11 Freddie Sears

44 Ted Collins
27 Cameron Coxe
6 Tom Dallison
37 Chay Cooper
33 Marley Marshall Miranda
19 Alex Newby
45 Frank Nouble

Biggest change as seen us go from a 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 (or versions of them).
3 of our starting line from the first day have gone on loan.
4 out injured.
1 bombed from squad.
Only Noah Chilvers started both games.
Newby on bench for both games.

I was optimist of a mid-table/top 10 finish at the start of the season after the positive end to last season. An entertaining 3-2 defeat to Play-off losers Northampton seemed like a good performance if not the result we wanted/deserved (sounds familiar).

And then at the weekend and away to Carlisle, it's back to being hard to break down but due to our lack of goals - one mistake at the back is enough to cost us.

So:
Is the team/squad after the Jan transfer window better or have more potential than the one that started this season?
Where do we have to strengthen in the summer to have a proper go at promotion?
Is it just a case of getting in a "better" manager?

Thoughts

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 22:05 - Feb 27 with 746 viewsbwildered

Would be interesting to know how different the Northampton side was/is to also compare. Looked a tidy well drilled side which looked comfortable in their play that resulted in a tight result, probably only possible with a more settled side.
The U’s, in a state of transition and awaiting guidance from the next man in charge with their own drills and set ups in which will determine style of play. So a vital time until to he end of season with much to do, on and off the pitch.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2023 22:08]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 19:11 - Feb 28 with 668 viewsghughes11

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 22:05 - Feb 27 by bwildered

Would be interesting to know how different the Northampton side was/is to also compare. Looked a tidy well drilled side which looked comfortable in their play that resulted in a tight result, probably only possible with a more settled side.
The U’s, in a state of transition and awaiting guidance from the next man in charge with their own drills and set ups in which will determine style of play. So a vital time until to he end of season with much to do, on and off the pitch.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2023 22:08]

Northampton Town 25/02/2023:

40 Tom King
6 Sam Sherring
5 Jon Guthrie
2 Tyler Magloire
20 Harvey Lintott
14 Ali Koiki
17 Shaun McWilliams
12 Marc Leonard
4 Jack Sowerby
7 Sam Hoskins
9 Louis Appere

Substitutes
1 Lee Burge
3 Aaron McGowan
15 William Hondermarck
11 Mitchell Pinnock
21 Josh Felix-Eppiah
16 D'Margio Wright-Phillips
29 Tete Yengi

Northampton Town 30/07/2022:

1 Lee Burge
2 Tyler Magloire
14 Ali Koiki
6 Sam Sherring
5 Jon Guthrie
4 Jack Sowerby
11 Mitchell Pinnock
17 Shaun McWilliams
7 Sam Hoskins
10 Danny Hylton
9 Louis Appere

Substitutes
23 Jon Maxted
35 Max Dyche
24 Ryan Haynes
20 Harvey Lintott
27 Peter Abimbola
34 Liam Cross
12 Marc Leonard

So looking at the numbers that started both games:
2, 14, 6, 5, 4, 17, 7, 9

11 started as sub last weekend but started 1st game of season

10 started in July but not in squad in Feb.

That's very consistent. How does that compare to their relatively successful squad from the 2021/22 season too?

What is it at Col U 14 managers in 14 years? McGreal our most "successful" manager in recent years had the longest tenure in that time! Bring him back?!?

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 21:17 - Feb 28 with 637 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 19:43 - Feb 27 by ghughes11

Always good to compare our line up from the first game of the season away at The Cobblers to our last one on Saturday.

3 managers later we lined up with:

Colchester XI: O’Hara, Greenidge, Smith (Newby, 85), Appiah (Akinde, 59), Chilvers, Kelleher (Fevrier, 59), Read, Jay (Tovide, 68), Wood, Hopper, Hall

Subs: Smith, Ashley, Newby, Akinde, Tovide, Fevrier, Thorn

1 Sam Hornby
22 Junior Tchamadeu
3 Ryan Clampin
4 Luke Chambers (C)
18 Tom Eastman
8 Cole Skuse
10 Alan Judge
14 Noah Chilvers
7 Luke Hannant
24 John Akinde
11 Freddie Sears

44 Ted Collins
27 Cameron Coxe
6 Tom Dallison
37 Chay Cooper
33 Marley Marshall Miranda
19 Alex Newby
45 Frank Nouble

Biggest change as seen us go from a 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 (or versions of them).
3 of our starting line from the first day have gone on loan.
4 out injured.
1 bombed from squad.
Only Noah Chilvers started both games.
Newby on bench for both games.

I was optimist of a mid-table/top 10 finish at the start of the season after the positive end to last season. An entertaining 3-2 defeat to Play-off losers Northampton seemed like a good performance if not the result we wanted/deserved (sounds familiar).

And then at the weekend and away to Carlisle, it's back to being hard to break down but due to our lack of goals - one mistake at the back is enough to cost us.

So:
Is the team/squad after the Jan transfer window better or have more potential than the one that started this season?
Where do we have to strengthen in the summer to have a proper go at promotion?
Is it just a case of getting in a "better" manager?

Thoughts

GHughes
Interesting thread. I am firmly of the belief that the squad we now have is good enough to achieve a top seven finish next season.
Unfortunately we will probably lose Tchamadeu, Tovide and Chilvers in the summer.
Therefore more strengthening required. Plus we need to claim Folivi back from Chelmsford.

Regarding the manager I really dread Garner taking over. I just can't see him getting the best out of the squad.

Could we pinch Karl Robinson if Danny Cowley allegedly doesn't want to join us.

Grim times.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 616 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Cobblers to come unstitched against the Super U's on 21:17 - Feb 28 by durham_exile

GHughes
Interesting thread. I am firmly of the belief that the squad we now have is good enough to achieve a top seven finish next season.
Unfortunately we will probably lose Tchamadeu, Tovide and Chilvers in the summer.
Therefore more strengthening required. Plus we need to claim Folivi back from Chelmsford.

Regarding the manager I really dread Garner taking over. I just can't see him getting the best out of the squad.

Could we pinch Karl Robinson if Danny Cowley allegedly doesn't want to join us.

Grim times.

Up the U's

Not sure anyone will be rushing to sign a striker who has one goal in over 30 appearances! Although it does sound like something we would do!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024