Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vote for next season's home kit is open 14:22 - Mar 3 with 4187 viewsTomRAFC

Personally I think they're all great designs. If the quality is going to be better too, this could be a great move by the board.

Emailed in my vote and asked if we'd get to vote on the away kit too. Got an almost instant reply confirming we would get to vote on the away kit as well.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/march/homeshirtvote-2324/

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 14:38 - Mar 3 with 3322 viewsBainesy15

They're alright but very similar to what we've had before. That first choice seems near identical to the Man United League Cup season one
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 15:05 - Mar 3 with 3269 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 14:38 - Mar 3 by Bainesy15

They're alright but very similar to what we've had before. That first choice seems near identical to the Man United League Cup season one

This is the danger with striped shirts, they can begin to look the same unless you offer more unique twists on the idea. The point was made via the kit panel that we can utilise the blue/black/white colours in different ways and it doesn’t always need to be stripes (eg why not hoops etc).

Apparently the votes around shorts and socks in this initial survey saw black as being popular for both but with their being a lot of black on the shirt it was also noted that this can end up looking too dark. Not sure what we will go with in the end.

The shirts are ok. Just that. Simple things like creating consistency on the trim have been missed, but you can’t have everything. Would probably vote for C but why isn’t there some black trim on the cuffs as well?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 16:15 - Mar 3 with 3150 viewssxdale

My thoughts FWIW

A. As it gets darker towards the bottom of the shirt would go better with black shorts, my personal choice would be for white shorts and white socks. I do like the white flash above the black cuffs on the sleeve, nice touch.

B. Too dark for my liking not keen on the cross hatching but might be better with blue sleeves, again better suited to black shorts.

C. This has become my favourite by default, would work better with white shorts.

My overall feeling is they're average not great not terrible.

As an aside was watching the superleague last night and O'neills are also kit suppliers for Warrington and again the merchandise seems on the pricey side which is a worry.
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 16:15 - Mar 3 with 3149 viewselectricblue

The images look good..

I quite like the B design........

All depends upon the quality though..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 18:41 - Mar 3 with 2954 viewsblackdogblue

I voted the middle one… more black after the funeral in May when our league status is buried over the road at Denehurst Cemetery along with my hopes & dreams

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 18:49 - Mar 3 with 2940 views49thseason

What is the rationale for blue, black and white? I get the Blue could be constued as a nod to recent history of shirts, I guess the white is a nod to distant history , why the Black?
I find it all very unimaginative, rather funerial and not likely to set any sales records as the season on season differences are too small. We have changed supplier, so why not give them free rein to come up with a completely new look? Something that will be a complete one-off in UK football? Even a different shade of blue would have been a change, with orange stripes, or purple or lime green,
In an age when suppliers are spending fortunes developing new materials with better wicking and heat transfer using graphene ink and such, we choose blue and black stripes ..again!
The manager talks about fine margins but no one thinks about the science of visibility on the pitch where blue consistently is shown to be less successful than red
https://royalsociety.org/news/2015/05/is-a-man-in-red-more-dominant-than-a-man-i

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2017/Wear-Red-and-Youll-Win-Gold#:

All in my very humble opinion of course, (nods to 442, kit-meister-extraordinaire)
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 19:27 - Mar 3 with 2867 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 18:49 - Mar 3 by 49thseason

What is the rationale for blue, black and white? I get the Blue could be constued as a nod to recent history of shirts, I guess the white is a nod to distant history , why the Black?
I find it all very unimaginative, rather funerial and not likely to set any sales records as the season on season differences are too small. We have changed supplier, so why not give them free rein to come up with a completely new look? Something that will be a complete one-off in UK football? Even a different shade of blue would have been a change, with orange stripes, or purple or lime green,
In an age when suppliers are spending fortunes developing new materials with better wicking and heat transfer using graphene ink and such, we choose blue and black stripes ..again!
The manager talks about fine margins but no one thinks about the science of visibility on the pitch where blue consistently is shown to be less successful than red
https://royalsociety.org/news/2015/05/is-a-man-in-red-more-dominant-than-a-man-i

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2017/Wear-Red-and-Youll-Win-Gold#:

All in my very humble opinion of course, (nods to 442, kit-meister-extraordinaire)

Blue, black and white are unique in English league football. We are the only club who has them as our colours on a consistent basis.

Clubs do not retain an identity by changing their colours eg. From blue to red. It’s simply unacceptable and actually would cause far more issues than pointing to the fact that Liverpool and United win the league a lot. God knows how Inter have won so much and how we had the most successful period in the club’s history using our current colours. We’ve been through this before.

We all know the science behind visibility and this has been put forward during the kit panels, which any supporter was welcome to join, as it was noted that having black shorts and socks makes the kit look too dark - white shorts always look better. It’s also why some believe there needs to be less focus on stripes and maybe using black in a different way.
It was good that the club involved supporters, and I’d encourage any fan to actually get involved if they have an opinion on any club matter should the opportunity arise. Do I agree with their three choices? No. But I can at least appreciate the efforts put in and that we can hopefully continue to improve this process in future.

The black was introduced into the kit after the centenary season, a very effective move which all nods to distant history. Further info here:
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 19:28]

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:03 - Mar 3 with 2781 viewssxdale

I take a different view, if I remember correctly wasn't there a vote after our centenary as to whether to continue with the black and white kit used to celebrate 100 years, a return to the blue kit or to combine both to create a new unique identity.

Blue and black stripes won the day going into the next hundred years (hopefully)

I think we should keep with blue and black stripes to reinforce that identity and the home kit should only be changed when kit supplier and/or sponsors change. This would also have the benefit of fans not having to fork out for a new kit every year.

To counter this we can go bonkers with the away (possibly 3rd) kit and have fan designed kit competitions every season. I believe that the fan designed shirts sold more than others in our recent history.
Login to get fewer ads

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:12 - Mar 3 with 2755 viewsTVOS1907

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 18:49 - Mar 3 by 49thseason

Given you've expressed such strong views on this before, presumably you put them forward at the focus group meetings which all fans were invited to attend?

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/january/kitfocusgroup_jan23/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:14 - Mar 3 with 2750 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:03 - Mar 3 by sxdale

I take a different view, if I remember correctly wasn't there a vote after our centenary as to whether to continue with the black and white kit used to celebrate 100 years, a return to the blue kit or to combine both to create a new unique identity.

Blue and black stripes won the day going into the next hundred years (hopefully)

I think we should keep with blue and black stripes to reinforce that identity and the home kit should only be changed when kit supplier and/or sponsors change. This would also have the benefit of fans not having to fork out for a new kit every year.

To counter this we can go bonkers with the away (possibly 3rd) kit and have fan designed kit competitions every season. I believe that the fan designed shirts sold more than others in our recent history.

Yep, there was a vote and it’s led to a lot of different designs over the years. Mixing it up away from just having stripes has been quite popular too, the 16/17 shirt was fan designed and was predominantly blue with the black and white sash - it won the vote amongst all fans that year too.

Don’t get me wrong, I think regularly using stripes is important but it doesn’t have to be every year as it can look a bit samey; 18/19 and 19/20 was a farcical lack of difference.
I genuinely believe if we try something different with a set of popular colours, it could work really well. Even Barcelona went to hoops one year.

A good example of how changing up from stripes/using them too often are Crystal Palace, worth looking at what they’ve done with red/blue/white over the years… though don’t get bogged down in realising they aren’t their traditional colours!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Crystal_Palace/Crystal_Palace.htm

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:14 - Mar 3 with 2747 viewsTVOS1907

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:03 - Mar 3 by sxdale

There wasn't a vote, as such, but it was just decided by people at the club to merge the three colours we have worn at home.

But, as 442 says, it was NEVER said the shirt would be stripes; it was just said they would be our main colours, which should open up a whole host of design possibilities as well as stripes.

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:17 - Mar 3 with 2734 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:14 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

There wasn't a vote, as such, but it was just decided by people at the club to merge the three colours we have worn at home.

But, as 442 says, it was NEVER said the shirt would be stripes; it was just said they would be our main colours, which should open up a whole host of design possibilities as well as stripes.

I thought there was a vote? Could be wrong.

Did the players decide?

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:22 - Mar 3 with 2715 viewssxdale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:17 - Mar 3 by 442Dale

I thought there was a vote? Could be wrong.

Did the players decide?

I thought there was a vote cos I remember voting, the last time the players decided we either got that horrible blue with white side panels or the darker blue one with the black and white side panels which I think was a training top from the previous season
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:31 - Mar 3 with 2682 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:22 - Mar 3 by sxdale

I thought there was a vote cos I remember voting, the last time the players decided we either got that horrible blue with white side panels or the darker blue one with the black and white side panels which I think was a training top from the previous season

The players did indeed decide on the only kit to have no black included, in 15/16. That the club tried to justify this as a suitable reason illustrates that culture we’ve always had. Ridiculous that it’s the only blemish on a claim to be the only EFL club to wear blue, black and white for the last 15 years.

The blue with black side panel I think you’re referring to was 14/15. The link to a training shirt was a comment that they’d liked a plainer blue too used in training the year before, it wasn’t the same design but inspired it I believe. That wasn’t a bad kit, mainly because the shorts and socks also followed the similar ‘blue with black and almost zero white’ theme. I’m not sure the club/suppliers always grasp the importance of consistency and symmetry across the whole strip.

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:33 - Mar 3 with 2668 viewssxdale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:14 - Mar 3 by 442Dale

Yep, there was a vote and it’s led to a lot of different designs over the years. Mixing it up away from just having stripes has been quite popular too, the 16/17 shirt was fan designed and was predominantly blue with the black and white sash - it won the vote amongst all fans that year too.

Don’t get me wrong, I think regularly using stripes is important but it doesn’t have to be every year as it can look a bit samey; 18/19 and 19/20 was a farcical lack of difference.
I genuinely believe if we try something different with a set of popular colours, it could work really well. Even Barcelona went to hoops one year.

A good example of how changing up from stripes/using them too often are Crystal Palace, worth looking at what they’ve done with red/blue/white over the years… though don’t get bogged down in realising they aren’t their traditional colours!

Totally agree about Crystal Palace and I'm not anti changing the home shirt design. I just think if you've got a couple of kids having the same home shirt is just one less thing to have to fork out for every year. I do seem to remember in the dark and distant past that there was an agreement to change home shirts and away shirts in alternate seasons. Now we have 3 new shirts every season. Seems a bit much to me.
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:34 - Mar 3 with 2661 viewsTVOS1907

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:22 - Mar 3 by sxdale

You could be right. I'll have to look back through the annals.

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:40 - Mar 3 with 2646 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:33 - Mar 3 by sxdale

Totally agree about Crystal Palace and I'm not anti changing the home shirt design. I just think if you've got a couple of kids having the same home shirt is just one less thing to have to fork out for every year. I do seem to remember in the dark and distant past that there was an agreement to change home shirts and away shirts in alternate seasons. Now we have 3 new shirts every season. Seems a bit much to me.

Totally agree. It’s also a false economy because unless the club can provide a detailed breakdown of sales figures for all three shirts*, indicating how many of each shirt are bought, we could end up alienating potential customers.
It was put forward at the kit panel to not release three shirts and to plan better so that only two are required and if a third is required because of a clash, get the supplier to come up with one that could be marketed as a one off. Having alternating home and away kits on sale each season would make this third kit more of an event and increase sales as well. Hopefully this was taken on board.

Unfortunately, it’s almost uniform across the game now. Usually because of contracts with suppliers, but that should be something that’s discussed when the deals are signed.

Interestingly, Wycombe had home kits that have lasted two seasons during their first six years with O’Neills…

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wycombe_Wanderers/Wycombe_Wanderers.htm

*they were asked.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 20:45]

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:53 - Mar 3 with 2584 viewsBrierls

I think those choices are decent enough. Nice use of a white trim around the black stripes.

I’d be happy with A or C.
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 21:56 - Mar 3 with 2465 viewssxdale

I like the use of the thin white stripe to highlight the black stripes. Another way to do this would to have a white shirt with alternate black and blue stripes. Armenia Bielefeld used this design for the 2021/22 season and it looked pretty good (don't know how to post pictures). Perhaps we could set up a multi club model with them? Do any other of our twin towns have teams?
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 22:00 - Mar 3 with 2457 viewsjoecooke

Id like to see a plain blue/white trim ,round neck vintage 70s look shirt.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 22:01 - Mar 3 with 2454 viewsTVOS1907

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 21:56 - Mar 3 by sxdale

I like the use of the thin white stripe to highlight the black stripes. Another way to do this would to have a white shirt with alternate black and blue stripes. Armenia Bielefeld used this design for the 2021/22 season and it looked pretty good (don't know how to post pictures). Perhaps we could set up a multi club model with them? Do any other of our twin towns have teams?

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 22:06 - Mar 3 with 2436 viewssxdale

That's the one, cheers
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 00:57 - Mar 4 with 2277 viewsfermin

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 19:27 - Mar 3 by 442Dale

Blue, black and white are unique in English league football. We are the only club who has them as our colours on a consistent basis.

Clubs do not retain an identity by changing their colours eg. From blue to red. It’s simply unacceptable and actually would cause far more issues than pointing to the fact that Liverpool and United win the league a lot. God knows how Inter have won so much and how we had the most successful period in the club’s history using our current colours. We’ve been through this before.

We all know the science behind visibility and this has been put forward during the kit panels, which any supporter was welcome to join, as it was noted that having black shorts and socks makes the kit look too dark - white shorts always look better. It’s also why some believe there needs to be less focus on stripes and maybe using black in a different way.
It was good that the club involved supporters, and I’d encourage any fan to actually get involved if they have an opinion on any club matter should the opportunity arise. Do I agree with their three choices? No. But I can at least appreciate the efforts put in and that we can hopefully continue to improve this process in future.

The black was introduced into the kit after the centenary season, a very effective move which all nods to distant history. Further info here:
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 19:28]

Gillingham are close as regards blue, black and white as a colour scheme recently.
http://historicalkits.co.uk/Gillingham/Gillingham.htm
Vote for next season's home kit is open on 01:07 - Mar 4 with 2269 views442Dale

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 00:57 - Mar 4 by fermin

Gillingham are close as regards blue, black and white as a colour scheme recently.
http://historicalkits.co.uk/Gillingham/Gillingham.htm

They’re the closest, yes. But four seasons this century (and only three since we have started using blue/black/white) illustrates they use the combination now and again at best. It’s not considered to be their recognised colours.

Though, for issues of transparency, it could be argued that Sheffield Wednesday use the same colours all the time. But obviously in a different order.

And no, we can’t start wearing blue and white stripes.

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 04:53 - Mar 4 with 2222 viewsShun

Vote for next season's home kit is open on 20:14 - Mar 3 by 442Dale

Crystal Palace are a great example of how to make unique designs year after year using the same colour template. Some of their kits lately have been quite arousing, tbf. I’d also include Southampton in that category (their sash kit when we played them in League One was a thing of pure beauty).

I really like the kit TVOS posted earlier. Something like that looks really unique while still remaining true to our colours. Of the kits presented for us, I’d be happy with them all but I’m leaning towards A (I’m a sucker for anything resembling ombré) or C.

Once again, well done to the club for this initiative. I would assume the away kit will be voted on next week.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024