Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench 19:16 - Apr 8 with 1775 viewsMattFinish

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 19:19 - Apr 8 with 1754 viewsA1079

Why don't the journalists ask the hard questions and persist with them when they interview these managers before and after games? I don't know any Saints fan that is bewildered by the lack of use of some our purchases in January.
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 19:40 - Apr 8 with 1709 views1885_SFC

What good is a 6 foot something striker up front?

City had one - but did he do any good?

Oh...

Old School is Cool

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 20:54 - Apr 8 with 1612 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

First time that I have seen the video .. to be honest the defending was pretty woeful . The headed goals were what you would have expected for a big fella .. the one where he runs with it , the defender should have made a better challenge.
There were a few where he showed good feet and he looks reasonably good in the box ... however .. Saints don´t exactly fire in the crosses that a striker like him would thrive on. We have seen him play this season and his second touch is a tackle. Did any of our scouting team ACTUALLY watch him in the flesh or was it this youtube video that sold him?
All I can imagine is that he and Orsic must be shite in training to be so far out of the picture , and if I was in charge, I may have had a word with the DOF or head scout to understand exactly how they thought either would fit into the game style that Saints supposedly play ?
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 22:07 - Apr 8 with 1509 viewsMattFinish

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 20:54 - Apr 8 by Springhill_old_boy

First time that I have seen the video .. to be honest the defending was pretty woeful . The headed goals were what you would have expected for a big fella .. the one where he runs with it , the defender should have made a better challenge.
There were a few where he showed good feet and he looks reasonably good in the box ... however .. Saints don´t exactly fire in the crosses that a striker like him would thrive on. We have seen him play this season and his second touch is a tackle. Did any of our scouting team ACTUALLY watch him in the flesh or was it this youtube video that sold him?
All I can imagine is that he and Orsic must be shite in training to be so far out of the picture , and if I was in charge, I may have had a word with the DOF or head scout to understand exactly how they thought either would fit into the game style that Saints supposedly play ?

There were three very good crosses into the box today at 0-0 and nobody was there, just like when Che plays
And that was with our best crosser of the ball Perraud inexplicably sitting on the bench

Okay some of the defending was not brilliant but the guy has scored 70 goals in 2 seasons and let’s face it there’s some pretty poor defending in the Premier League

But we’ll never know because he never gets on
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 22:10 - Apr 8 with 1504 viewsMattFinish

Incidentally to give a balanced perspective I did look for a video of Che’s, Mara’s, Elyounoussi’s and Theo’s goals but there weren’t any
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 23:14 - Apr 8 with 1452 viewsobelisk

There really ought to be a video of all Che's missed sitters. It'd provide hours of endless hilarity.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2023 23:14]
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 00:46 - Apr 9 with 1398 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 22:07 - Apr 8 by MattFinish

There were three very good crosses into the box today at 0-0 and nobody was there, just like when Che plays
And that was with our best crosser of the ball Perraud inexplicably sitting on the bench

Okay some of the defending was not brilliant but the guy has scored 70 goals in 2 seasons and let’s face it there’s some pretty poor defending in the Premier League

But we’ll never know because he never gets on

Ok I work in football analysis for the portuguese league and recently completed a analysis course with the Barcelona team .. in that course they spoke at length about how the system works and how each player is identified be that at junior level or external to the club .. and how they fit/or not into the team style.
Now have any of the signings that we have spunked a lot of money on recently fit into our game style ... Exactly what is the game style ? Formation .. 442 433 352 4141 .. what? .. Within that style what does each player need .. do we fire long balls up to a target man whose job is to hold the ball up to play in onward running players ? Are we trying a possession based "Tiki Taka" or a high press ? I have watched the past few matches and cant understand exactly what the manager is trying to play ? We spent a lot of money on the big fella but as you rightly said we dont know how good he is because he doesnt start. Is that because he is crap in training? You would have thought even though Seles wasnt in charge he would have had some input in the signing, as he was part of the backroom staff. So is he pumping Seles mrs/daughter or something so that he isnt getting game time? I know if I was the chairman/CEO or whatever I would certainly be wondering why an asset that I paid lots of money for is not starting .. A guy who apparently has goals in him and was in good form before he came is not in the match. I would be wondering WHY the football dept spent the money on this particular player IF they dont believe he fits the game style ?? Confused of Portugal
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 17:06 - Apr 9 with 1196 viewsIfonly

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 00:46 - Apr 9 by Springhill_old_boy

Ok I work in football analysis for the portuguese league and recently completed a analysis course with the Barcelona team .. in that course they spoke at length about how the system works and how each player is identified be that at junior level or external to the club .. and how they fit/or not into the team style.
Now have any of the signings that we have spunked a lot of money on recently fit into our game style ... Exactly what is the game style ? Formation .. 442 433 352 4141 .. what? .. Within that style what does each player need .. do we fire long balls up to a target man whose job is to hold the ball up to play in onward running players ? Are we trying a possession based "Tiki Taka" or a high press ? I have watched the past few matches and cant understand exactly what the manager is trying to play ? We spent a lot of money on the big fella but as you rightly said we dont know how good he is because he doesnt start. Is that because he is crap in training? You would have thought even though Seles wasnt in charge he would have had some input in the signing, as he was part of the backroom staff. So is he pumping Seles mrs/daughter or something so that he isnt getting game time? I know if I was the chairman/CEO or whatever I would certainly be wondering why an asset that I paid lots of money for is not starting .. A guy who apparently has goals in him and was in good form before he came is not in the match. I would be wondering WHY the football dept spent the money on this particular player IF they dont believe he fits the game style ?? Confused of Portugal

Not sure why there is so much confusion. Perhaps it's me that is missing something but it seems pretty clear to me.....

Selles has said that he wants to play a high pressing 4-2-2-2 and with a little variation this is what he has done for the last few games. When he talks about the club's "identity" this is what he means. He has also said he wants patient build up play and specifically DOES NOT WANT long balls to the front man. He has criticised players for doing this when tall Paul is playing. This contrasts with Jones who wanted us to switch to a more direct style.

All of this means that tall Paul is very much NOT a Selles player. Selles, like RH, wants highly mobile front players who will run around closing down the opposition. Tall Paul simply isn't built to do this for any length of time.

Tall Paul was recruited in the Jones era for the style that Jones wanted to play. Since Selles has come in he has made clear he wants to go back to the Ralph style in which there is little to no role for a player like tall Paul. If Selles is still with us next year I don't expect tall Paul will be. Although he hasn't had a chance to show us what he can do yet, I suspect we will be better off if it is tall Paul still with us next year and not Selles.
Login to get fewer ads

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 20:41 - Apr 9 with 1139 viewsBlock8

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 17:06 - Apr 9 by Ifonly

Not sure why there is so much confusion. Perhaps it's me that is missing something but it seems pretty clear to me.....

Selles has said that he wants to play a high pressing 4-2-2-2 and with a little variation this is what he has done for the last few games. When he talks about the club's "identity" this is what he means. He has also said he wants patient build up play and specifically DOES NOT WANT long balls to the front man. He has criticised players for doing this when tall Paul is playing. This contrasts with Jones who wanted us to switch to a more direct style.

All of this means that tall Paul is very much NOT a Selles player. Selles, like RH, wants highly mobile front players who will run around closing down the opposition. Tall Paul simply isn't built to do this for any length of time.

Tall Paul was recruited in the Jones era for the style that Jones wanted to play. Since Selles has come in he has made clear he wants to go back to the Ralph style in which there is little to no role for a player like tall Paul. If Selles is still with us next year I don't expect tall Paul will be. Although he hasn't had a chance to show us what he can do yet, I suspect we will be better off if it is tall Paul still with us next year and not Selles.

Is that the 4-2-2-2 system that's been so successful thus far?
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 22:42 - Apr 9 with 1076 viewsBridders2

From what I've heard this is absolutely spot on.
Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 07:27 - Apr 10 with 986 viewssaintwizzler

From high pressing football to highly depressing football.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Just so we know what’s sitting on the bench on 08:30 - Apr 10 with 947 viewsNumber_58

We are at the last chance saloon. We've tried everything else. Onuacho's header against the bar last week at West Ham showed that there is definitely potential there. Stick him up top, lob as many balls into the box as we can and hope he gets his bonce on the end of a few. This is no time for aesthetics, f*ck the purists.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024