Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday 18:11 - May 6 with 1677 viewsdurham_exile

17 years ago today, I together with my sons and 1600 other U’s fans witnessed the Super U’s achieve promotion to the Championship. It was a great day, but sadly since then we have been advancing backwards.

Still, we have survived another year in the League after defeating Sutton and the match last Saturday at Doncaster was then one where we could relax.

Our record at the Keepmoat (now the Eco Power stadium) is lamentable with no goals in our last 5 games, but last week it was a case of the better team losing. I travelled in hope and expectation (after all I have seen 5 Colchester away wins this season) and the weather was warm and sunny (even better than the forecast). I met Gerry at Pizza Hut before the game and we timed it nicely arriving in time to take our seats and met up with Wessex who had travelled up by train. Noah was also present in the crowd of 5,928 including 450 of the faithful. The support was magnificent and whilst some are quick to decry them the faithful were superb throughout and included a conga mid-way through the second half. Brilliant support.

The pitch was in excellent condition and Colchester lined up as follows:

Smith
Chambers Kelleher Hall
Greenidge Ashley Read Tchamadeu
Chilvers
Akinde Tovide

Subs Dallison Fevrier Jay Miranda Newby Hopper Kazeem

After a torrid first 10 minutes when Donny took the game to us the rest of the half belonged to Colchester and frankly we should have scored at least two goals. Louis Jones, who was the Doncaster MOTM, denied Big John Akinde, Read and three Tovide headers before half time.

From their only real attack, a set piece, Rowe scored from close range on 30 minutes.

No changes at HT so BG decided to go for it. We had 59% possession, 18 shots (7 on target) and 7 corners. Greenidge was sacrificed on 60 minutes for Fevrier, the hardworking Tovide was substituted on 73 minutes and Hopper was brought into the fray. Finally, Matt Jay came on after 80 minutes for the excellent Kelleher.

The drama was to unfold right at the end of the game. Big John Akinde fired in a fierce shot which Jones beat away but from our position behind the goal both his hands and arms were behind the line. I have also looked at the footage since and sadly it is inconclusive but the Colchester players believed that it had crossed the line. In the melee that followed Mr Sunny Singh Gill blew the final whistle (at least one minute early) and then after the game had finished booked Junior Tchamadeu and in doing so gave him a red card as well for two yellow cards. It must have been for over zealous protesting about the “goal”.

We had been royally robbed by the officials.

We can only hope that our record must improve at Doncaster. The promised rain came after the match had finished. So sadly, it would seem that Junior has played his last game for the club because the sharks will be circling in the water for his signature. I reckon not a penny less than £1m is required.

Table:

Orient 45 90 (P)
Stevenage 45 82 (P)
Northampton 45 80
Stockport 45 78
Carlisle 45 75 +23
Salford 45 75 +19
Bradford 45 75 +18
Mansfield 45 72 +15

Harrogate 45 51 -9
COL U 45 49 -5
Wimbledon 45 48 -11
Crawley 45 46 -22
Hartlepool 45 42 -26 (R)
Rochdale 45 37 -24 (R)

Now there are two players that I would ask BG to put on his shopping list:
Dan Kemp midfield on loan at the Monkey Hangers but a member of MK Dons and Devante Rodney, striker at Rochdale. At 24 he is an ideal prospect and always looks sharp and capable of scoring goals.

There will be others but let us say that we have to sell Tchamadeu, Tovide and Chilvers and get £2m for the three, then a percentage of that money must go towards a war chest with Kemp and Rodney as decent investments.

One player that I wouldn’t pursue is Danny Johnson (who had his chance to come to Colchester and considered us beneath him). He has barely played for Mansfield since and I think is injured with a hamstring problem. Give him a wide berth.

So, turning our attention to the Stags on Monday afternoon at 1230pm BG will be looking to gain three more valuable points to finish with 52 points for the season.

No Junior Tchamadeu means bringing in a replacement but otherwise play the other ten outfield players.

Smith

Chambers Kelleher Hall

Greenidge Ashley Read Marshall-Miranda

Chilvers

Akinde Tovide

Subs
O’Hara (if fit) Dallison Fevrier Newby Hopper Kazeem Jay

Colchester weather on Monday will be 16 degrees Celsius and cloudy with only an 11% chance of rain.

A decent crowd is expected. Mansfield are bringing about 1500 supporters and I am really looking forward to the match. I have my ticket and car parking plus my accommodation booked.

Perhaps we might have 6,500 which would create a good atmosphere.

Nigel Clough knows that even a 4-0 win might not be enough and we are due a good result against the Stags after some dubious games at Field Mill. I am going for a 4-0 win for the Super U’s with Big John and Samson Tovide on the scoresheet together with Ossama Ashley and Arthur Read.

Now the final word must go to the good work that BG has done. He came to the club after MB departure to Wyscum and I was sceptical of his methods and achievements but he has done really well to secure our place in the football league and when you consider that he was unable to bring in any of his own signings. So well played BG and let’s think about top seven next season.

Enjoy the game on Monday.

Don’t forget it is on iFollow.

I’m looking forward to the game and of course the three points.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 22:37 - May 6 with 1609 viewswessex_exile

Great stuff Durham, and great to see you, Gerry, Noah and others for our grand day out!

You're right, the U's support was magnificent. The Donny crowd was bobbins btw - as others do, they seemingly count season ticket sales in their attendance figures. That might keep the taxman happy, but there was no more than maybe 3k in the stadium on Saturday...and probably less than three hundred when Donny's team came out for their post-match 'lap of honour'. There might have been more if Mr Gill had taken part.

Hope you (and everyone) has a fantastic experience on Monday, it's good after a difficult season to have something to genuinely celebrate!

Safe travelling my friend, see you in 2023/24!

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 07:36 - May 7 with 1578 viewsnoah4x4

Can I add my gratitude Durham. I always look forward to your ever over optimistic weekly pre-match appraisals to lift my enthusiasm. I must identify what happy pills your doc prescribes?

Also echo Wessex’s sentiment as regards our grand day out. Over the last decade, we have suffered far greater misery than Donny fans, but our fans have largely stayed loyal or those lost have been replaced by another generation. Seeing an almost empty Keepmoat was sad. We should count our blessings. Frankly, I wonder about Ipswich. How many of its new fair weather fans will drop off once they get mauled by a few Championship teams? I was staggered to see how many Ipswich fans were at Cambridge Services. How far are they traveling to home games, or are they simply glory hunters wanting to be associated with the nearest successful club, even if miles distant? Maybe we might see a similar surge when Ben G sends us soaring up the table in 2023-24?

Others L2 clubs might have already spoilt the Mansfield Scabs big day out, but Bradford slipping up against Crewe gives them slight hope that we can turn into extreme misery. Nasty, horrible spitting fans. At least a 12:30 kick off means less alcohol fueled nonsense, albeit the Magnet is opening at 10:30 and the Playhouse, as normal, is serving ale with cornflakes and croissants.

One unexpected joy for me was yesterday sitting for six hours in a cricket pavilion waiting for play to be abandoned. The positive thought was that for the first time in a decade, I have not missed the last home and away U’s games of a season due to cricket. My thanks go to Colchester & East Essex CC for prematurely exiting the League Cup resulting in a blank Saturday last week and to his Highness and the EFL for rescheduling the footie finale to a Monday. Imagine how miserable I might have been if no cricket and unable to watch the U’s. I need those happy pills Durham to manage my withdrawal symptoms.
[Post edited 7 May 2023 7:41]
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 08:03 - May 7 with 1556 viewsbwildered

And spotted amongst the crowd at Chelmsford watching the cricket the last few days, Tractorboys merchandise, not seen for many a day, hope lives eternal !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 09:39 - May 7 with 1537 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 07:36 - May 7 by noah4x4

Can I add my gratitude Durham. I always look forward to your ever over optimistic weekly pre-match appraisals to lift my enthusiasm. I must identify what happy pills your doc prescribes?

Also echo Wessex’s sentiment as regards our grand day out. Over the last decade, we have suffered far greater misery than Donny fans, but our fans have largely stayed loyal or those lost have been replaced by another generation. Seeing an almost empty Keepmoat was sad. We should count our blessings. Frankly, I wonder about Ipswich. How many of its new fair weather fans will drop off once they get mauled by a few Championship teams? I was staggered to see how many Ipswich fans were at Cambridge Services. How far are they traveling to home games, or are they simply glory hunters wanting to be associated with the nearest successful club, even if miles distant? Maybe we might see a similar surge when Ben G sends us soaring up the table in 2023-24?

Others L2 clubs might have already spoilt the Mansfield Scabs big day out, but Bradford slipping up against Crewe gives them slight hope that we can turn into extreme misery. Nasty, horrible spitting fans. At least a 12:30 kick off means less alcohol fueled nonsense, albeit the Magnet is opening at 10:30 and the Playhouse, as normal, is serving ale with cornflakes and croissants.

One unexpected joy for me was yesterday sitting for six hours in a cricket pavilion waiting for play to be abandoned. The positive thought was that for the first time in a decade, I have not missed the last home and away U’s games of a season due to cricket. My thanks go to Colchester & East Essex CC for prematurely exiting the League Cup resulting in a blank Saturday last week and to his Highness and the EFL for rescheduling the footie finale to a Monday. Imagine how miserable I might have been if no cricket and unable to watch the U’s. I need those happy pills Durham to manage my withdrawal symptoms.
[Post edited 7 May 2023 7:41]

Noah, Wessex it has been a pleasure once again to see you at Away matches.

I sincerely hope that the football that BG has promoted since taking over can be replicated next season.

I remain optimistic that next season we can finally look to the top seven instead of struggling near the foot of the table.

As regards the additional Poorman Road mob, they are a transitory bunch rather than diehard supporters.

Improved results and particularly a good start to the new season will see an upturn in home support.

The faithful who travel to each and every Away game have received some bad press for the actions of a small minority of fans but overall I think they represent the club with pride, passion and commitment.

I look forward to next season with considerable enthusiasm and hope that even if we lose some prized assets we make some key signings during the summer.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 11:37 - May 8 with 1417 viewsdurham_exile

Team

Smith
Chambers Dallison Hall
Greenidge Miranda Read Newby
Chilvers
Akinde Fevrier

Subs
Collins Skuse Sears Kelleher Jay Hopper Kazeem

Glorious day, atmosphere building.
Have been to the club shop.

Pitch actually looks good.

No Tovide though

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 12:06 - May 8 with 1409 viewsdurham_exile

Apart from finishing 23 or 24 no-one wants to finish 8 and that dubious honour is for the Stags.

Come on Col U finish on a high today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 12:48 - May 8 with 1393 viewsburnsieespana

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 11:37 - May 8 by durham_exile

Team

Smith
Chambers Dallison Hall
Greenidge Miranda Read Newby
Chilvers
Akinde Fevrier

Subs
Collins Skuse Sears Kelleher Jay Hopper Kazeem

Glorious day, atmosphere building.
Have been to the club shop.

Pitch actually looks good.

No Tovide though

Up the U's

Seen somewhere else Tovide is injured
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 13:21 - May 8 with 1385 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 12:48 - May 8 by burnsieespana

Seen somewhere else Tovide is injured

Just like last week a free kick given against us has proved costly.

It was never a free kick.

Problem is we look too lightweight up front.

Changes needed.

We are missing Samson.

Must get back into this.

Big second half

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 13:32 - May 8 with 1374 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 13:21 - May 8 by durham_exile

Just like last week a free kick given against us has proved costly.

It was never a free kick.

Problem is we look too lightweight up front.

Changes needed.

We are missing Samson.

Must get back into this.

Big second half

Up the U's

Skuse, Hopper and Kelleher needed second half

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 14:41 - May 8 with 1348 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 13:32 - May 8 by durham_exile

Skuse, Hopper and Kelleher needed second half

Come on

Up the U's

At least Mansfield didn't manage to secure seventh place.

We simply need to be more clinical in the box
Akinde and Sears both guilty of missing good chances.

Still enjoyed the day.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 15:16 - May 8 with 1336 viewsgerry_us

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 14:41 - May 8 by durham_exile

At least Mansfield didn't manage to secure seventh place.

We simply need to be more clinical in the box
Akinde and Sears both guilty of missing good chances.

Still enjoyed the day.

Up the U's

Jinxed 'em Peter.
Enjoy the summer and look forward to a cold Tuesday night in Grimsby ( or Mansfield...) next season.
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 16:00 - May 8 with 1320 viewsbwildered

Just has well we got out of trouble with games to play finishing the season with two defeats about sums it up. Not sure what Garner garnered from that line up for the future. After some bright play, Stags got into their stride and a decent constant flow of ball into box, something the U’s were totally unable to copy.
Read worked hard in midfield and Greenidge had his best game so far.
Well another season done and dusted. The final table does not lie, twentieth place and failed to reach fifty points this time, with the only positive was a goal difference of minus seven, of a team ten places up. Of entertainment value, apart last few games, pretty barren with no improvement on the last few seasons, no wonder the Chairman cannot get bums on seats.
But like a mug will return next season, has like weekly, it cannot be worst than the last !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 17:50 - May 8 with 1285 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 15:16 - May 8 by gerry_us

Jinxed 'em Peter.
Enjoy the summer and look forward to a cold Tuesday night in Grimsby ( or Mansfield...) next season.

Or Chesterfield Gerry!

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 17:50 - May 8 with 1284 viewsburnsieespana

Reckon we were on the beech despite what BG said beforehand!
Going to be an interesting few days now to see who stays and goes.
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 17:54 - May 8 with 1283 viewsdurham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 16:00 - May 8 by bwildered

Just has well we got out of trouble with games to play finishing the season with two defeats about sums it up. Not sure what Garner garnered from that line up for the future. After some bright play, Stags got into their stride and a decent constant flow of ball into box, something the U’s were totally unable to copy.
Read worked hard in midfield and Greenidge had his best game so far.
Well another season done and dusted. The final table does not lie, twentieth place and failed to reach fifty points this time, with the only positive was a goal difference of minus seven, of a team ten places up. Of entertainment value, apart last few games, pretty barren with no improvement on the last few seasons, no wonder the Chairman cannot get bums on seats.
But like a mug will return next season, has like weekly, it cannot be worst than the last !

Akinde and Sears should both have scored.

It would have been criminal if Mansfield had crept into the play offs.

We missed Tovide today and Junior but perhaps this is what life looks like without them.

Go again next season.
Good crowd today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 19:04 - May 8 with 1268 viewsgerry_us

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 17:50 - May 8 by durham_exile

Or Chesterfield Gerry!

Here's hoping.
Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 15:01 - May 10 with 1105 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Disappointing result but pretty standard for us to lose to nil whenever there's a big crowd in. Was comfortably our biggest crowd of the season and I'm guessing the biggest away support we'd seen as well.

I couldn't make the match but a friend of mine went and he said it was so refreshing to watch a game of football with no time wasting. I must admit time wasting is one of the worst things about watching live football and it would be great if we could somehow eradicate it from the game or at least reduce it.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 16:41 - May 10 with 1092 viewswessex_exile

Stags unable to get out of a rut at the JCS on Monday on 15:01 - May 10 by RSCOSWORTH

Disappointing result but pretty standard for us to lose to nil whenever there's a big crowd in. Was comfortably our biggest crowd of the season and I'm guessing the biggest away support we'd seen as well.

I couldn't make the match but a friend of mine went and he said it was so refreshing to watch a game of football with no time wasting. I must admit time wasting is one of the worst things about watching live football and it would be great if we could somehow eradicate it from the game or at least reduce it.

I think they said about 1,500 Mansfield supporters. I know there were quite a few visiting fans for Brentford in the League Cup and Gillingham in league, just can't remember how many?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024