Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English FA Cup Final 18:32 - Jun 3 with 808 viewsgerry_us

and how many Brits started the match?
FIVE.
Not good enough if we are ever to get a decent national side. There must soon be a cap on non UK players in the ENGLISH Premier league but regrettably it is all about money....from anywhere in the World.
English FA Cup Final on 18:58 - Jun 3 with 799 viewsburnsieespana

Thought a certain number had to be in the match day squad although not sure it applies to the FA Cup but agree with you.
English FA Cup Final on 06:35 - Jun 6 with 701 viewswessex_exile

I’m not really concerned where a player comes from if I’m honest. We can still field one of the top international sides, capable of beating anyone on our day, just not so good at winning silverware sadly. Arguably our international game is significantly improved by our English players playing alongside and/or against some of the best in the world week in week out.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

English FA Cup Final on 07:08 - Jun 6 with 699 viewsnoah4x4

I think cricket has this about right, but even so there are problems of a different nature. Even in the Essex Premier League, clubs can only play one Overseas ‘category 3’ in any side. At Colchester & East Essex CC, we now have Kiwi star, Adi Ashok. Which means that former Afghanistan U19, Imran Sahair must play for the Second XI. Imran hit a fine 76 last weekend for the II’s on his home league debut.

But the rule gives us a different headache. A number of (genuine) Afghanistan refugees (like Imran) have joined the club and have been made very welcome. They all love cricket and most are quite able. However, only one cat 3 player can feature in any Essex League team. This means that, until fully granted UK residency/citizenship, which they then must hold for 210 days before the start of any season to be considered category 1 exempt, only one can play in our Essex League XIs (unless Adi is absent injured).

Currently unable to work due to other temporary visa restrictions (I think they would love to pick fruit to avoid the boredom!) it is a crying shame that their only available recreation is hitting a few balls in the nets. These lads are not illegal immigrants or economic migrants, they are here genuinely seeking safety, having aided British & US forces and escaped with UK Government assistance. Their final status does need prompt resolution. Keen to work and become valuable UK citizens, meeting them and hearing their stories has been an eye-opener. Yes, we do need to repel illegal economic immigrants in rubber dinghies, but some genuine refugees with past proven loyalty to our flag deserve a break, even if that merely means the opportunity to play recreational cricket.

Hence, a rule designed to protect our national team and prevent clubs from simply buying success through overseas signings has had a negative impact by preventing amateur cricketers from participating in the game that they love. But rather than complain, they cheerfully support the club and wait patiently for their fate to be determined, grateful for the values that we uphold in this country. This is the conundrum with stricter regulation of overseas sport participants.

My father was also a wartime refugee from overseas. He too fought with British Forces, and then spent many years of uncertainty in a grotty camp for displaced persons. He became the most patriotic hard working British citizen ever after his papers were granted, simply grateful to be alive. I feel that there must be a better process, whilst still protecting our borders from illegal economic migrants. Simply getting a visa for Adi Ashok (of New Zealand) who applied for merely temporary (single season) player status took four weeks longer than it should because the HMRC/Home Office has been overwhelmed by illegal applicants. Not an easy problem to resolve, but action is patently essential. Now, post Brexit, signing overseas footballers should be far more difficult given what we have witnessed in cricket.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 7:12]
English FA Cup Final on 08:42 - Jun 6 with 679 viewsburnsieespana

Agree with a lot of what you say noah.
These sort of guys need to be quickly integrated into our economy to contribute to our GDP and for that matter our sport.
Post brexit I thought signing overseas footballers for big money would be m7ch more difficult but it doesn't appear o be the case or have I missed something?
Going back to the FA Cup I lost interest in it year's ago and haven't watched it for around 20.
English FA Cup Final on 11:32 - Jun 6 with 670 viewsbwildered

Is it much different to the 70/80’s when clubs had Welsh, Scots and Irish prominent in the squads, non conspired has overseas players, though played for other international nations while playing for English clubs. UEFA finally ban us though for off pitch activities, though pressure from some countries in English club’s dominance in all European competitions, also helped the case for our dismissal.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

English FA Cup Final on 22:01 - Jun 6 with 638 viewsoxfcolu

English FA Cup Final on 07:08 - Jun 6 by noah4x4

I think cricket has this about right, but even so there are problems of a different nature. Even in the Essex Premier League, clubs can only play one Overseas ‘category 3’ in any side. At Colchester & East Essex CC, we now have Kiwi star, Adi Ashok. Which means that former Afghanistan U19, Imran Sahair must play for the Second XI. Imran hit a fine 76 last weekend for the II’s on his home league debut.

But the rule gives us a different headache. A number of (genuine) Afghanistan refugees (like Imran) have joined the club and have been made very welcome. They all love cricket and most are quite able. However, only one cat 3 player can feature in any Essex League team. This means that, until fully granted UK residency/citizenship, which they then must hold for 210 days before the start of any season to be considered category 1 exempt, only one can play in our Essex League XIs (unless Adi is absent injured).

Currently unable to work due to other temporary visa restrictions (I think they would love to pick fruit to avoid the boredom!) it is a crying shame that their only available recreation is hitting a few balls in the nets. These lads are not illegal immigrants or economic migrants, they are here genuinely seeking safety, having aided British & US forces and escaped with UK Government assistance. Their final status does need prompt resolution. Keen to work and become valuable UK citizens, meeting them and hearing their stories has been an eye-opener. Yes, we do need to repel illegal economic immigrants in rubber dinghies, but some genuine refugees with past proven loyalty to our flag deserve a break, even if that merely means the opportunity to play recreational cricket.

Hence, a rule designed to protect our national team and prevent clubs from simply buying success through overseas signings has had a negative impact by preventing amateur cricketers from participating in the game that they love. But rather than complain, they cheerfully support the club and wait patiently for their fate to be determined, grateful for the values that we uphold in this country. This is the conundrum with stricter regulation of overseas sport participants.

My father was also a wartime refugee from overseas. He too fought with British Forces, and then spent many years of uncertainty in a grotty camp for displaced persons. He became the most patriotic hard working British citizen ever after his papers were granted, simply grateful to be alive. I feel that there must be a better process, whilst still protecting our borders from illegal economic migrants. Simply getting a visa for Adi Ashok (of New Zealand) who applied for merely temporary (single season) player status took four weeks longer than it should because the HMRC/Home Office has been overwhelmed by illegal applicants. Not an easy problem to resolve, but action is patently essential. Now, post Brexit, signing overseas footballers should be far more difficult given what we have witnessed in cricket.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 7:12]

A wonderful and poignant post Noah. Having served in the Military I completed 4 tours in Afghanistan and made some long lasting friendships. These people deserve our help.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024