Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV that hasn't aged well 11:50 - Sep 10 with 13947 viewsDaBurgh

To help pass the time until we are back in action next weekend, I propose a thread of TV stuff that we loved but really is just embarrassing now. I'll kick off with the following small selection.

MASH - I think it is still watchable, with some good story lines.
The wonder years - Still makes me guffaw, mainly because it is the era that I grew up in.
Cheers and Taxi - loved them both but my god they haven't aged well and I find them generally very embarrassing and unfunny now.
Frasier - excellent then, excellent now, could watch over and over.
Yes Minister - same as Fraisier.

And here are some series that I loved but should be too embarrassed to admit to it. The golden girls, The love boat, TJ Hooker, Fantasy island and the eternally nauseating Happy days.
TV that hasn't aged well on 15:03 - Sep 12 with 1739 viewshamptonhillhoop

TV that hasn't aged well on 19:27 - Sep 11 by CiderwithRsie

Not sure I agree on some of the judgements.

(Whatever happened to the) Likely Lads - don't remember the gymnslip one and will accept that it was dodgy, glad to say that attitudes have moved on, but overall I think it's a brilliant and honest view of what was going on in working class communities around the start of Thatcherism, with Bob jumping onboard and Terry being left behind. Also great on friendship and growing up. So more of a wry smile now than laugh out loud, but no worse for that. (Once saw an episode of the original "Likely Lads and have to say it was pretty terrible)

Monty Python - yes, it's patchy, but it aways was. When it works it's still brilliant. A bit like punk rock - God there was some sh*te put out, but someone had to shake things up, and there are some jewels in there.

My mistake. I've just looked it up. It was The Likely Lads, not the sequel. Series one, episode twelve to be exact!
TV that hasn't aged well on 15:15 - Sep 12 with 1655 viewsrobith

TV that hasn't aged well on 19:22 - Sep 11 by connell10

The Young Ones , I used think it was brilliant but find it quite unfunnynow! Unlike Bottom which I still watch on occasion and find it just as funny!!

Bottom will never age because two loser hitting each other with frying pans is simply timeless
TV that hasn't aged well on 15:20 - Sep 12 with 1632 viewsrobith

TV that hasn't aged well on 19:18 - Sep 11 by CiderwithRsie

I listen to a lot of Radio 4 Extra while working - 'cos you didn't have to think - and they are always having to give out a warning that it "contains language and attitudes of its time", especially the comedy.

What strikes me is that I'm never shocked if something from the 50s-70s is a bit dodgy on race, sex etc - I mean, who knew? and it's not really offensive if there's no nastiness involved. But some of the satirical stuff from the 80s and 90s, which thinks it's "right-on" is pretty dodgy. I heard a routine about Monica Lewinsky which, leaving aside the fact that anyone under 25 wasn't born before her scandal, was really nasty and notable for the fact that Bill Clinton didn't get mentioned.

The 90s/early naughties has this weird dynamic where comedians especially believe that as long as they held the "right" opinions they could still act badly - I think today people know actions matter too.

For eg the most jarring thing about Friends, a show written by New York liberals, for New York liberals, is in early seasons just how regularly and casually the writers reach for the "gay panic" button whenever the jokes hit a lull
TV that hasn't aged well on 15:25 - Sep 12 with 1626 viewsSuperhoop83

I know this is meant to be TV that hasn't aged well, but this classic just sprang to mind and I though I should share it. All 12 episodes are out there somewhere.

Suffering since 1978.

TV that hasn't aged well on 16:29 - Sep 12 with 1544 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I watched a few repeats of 'Allo Allo' and surprisingly found myself laughing out loud in genuine amusement. I guess because it was set during the war it doesn't age badly.

The scene with the granny drinking wine and the wheelchair taking off made me cry laughing. (you have to watch the episode)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

TV that hasn't aged well on 16:36 - Sep 12 with 1536 viewsloftboy

TV that hasn't aged well on 16:29 - Sep 12 by Metallica_Hoop

I watched a few repeats of 'Allo Allo' and surprisingly found myself laughing out loud in genuine amusement. I guess because it was set during the war it doesn't age badly.

The scene with the granny drinking wine and the wheelchair taking off made me cry laughing. (you have to watch the episode)

Saw the stage version circa 1990, it was Gordon Kayes first appearance after a serious car crash, the entire audience at the palladium stood and applauded when he came on stage.
Vicky Michelle was definitely a Milf back then.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

TV that hasn't aged well on 00:43 - Sep 13 with 1374 viewsCiderwithRsie

TV that hasn't aged well on 15:03 - Sep 12 by hamptonhillhoop

My mistake. I've just looked it up. It was The Likely Lads, not the sequel. Series one, episode twelve to be exact!

Ah, that would explain it.

Not often repeated - in black and whit, wasn't it? The few I've seen are pretty ropy - a real step up by Clement and La Frenais in the follow-up.
TV that hasn't aged well on 01:09 - Sep 13 with 1363 viewsbob566

Hart to Hart. Used to love it along with all Glen a larson stuff. Truly awful. Every black tie dinner they attended there was a murder.
Login to get fewer ads

TV that hasn't aged well on 06:06 - Sep 13 with 1330 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

TV that hasn't aged well on 20:40 - Sep 11 by CiderwithRsie

Vaguely thought that was so, but according to Wilfred Bramble's wikipedia page that's not really true.

About the worst that it seems can be said was that he got arrested for cottaging in 1962 when it was illegal to be gay. Probably true of a lot of poor sods, if you'll pardon the pun. (Plus, I wouldn't give 100% credence to Met Police evidence on that sort of thing in that time and place, as Tom Robinson used to point out in song)

I’ve been telling that anecdote for years! Seems it was more complicated than that.
TV that hasn't aged well on 06:35 - Sep 13 with 1297 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

TV that hasn't aged well on 16:29 - Sep 12 by Metallica_Hoop

They also used every national stereotype. The Franch were randy, Germans into leather, Italians cowards and us poor old Brits bumbling fools.
I watched a few episodes a couple of months ago and I was cracking up.

Good moaning.
TV that hasn't aged well on 13:41 - Oct 15 with 805 viewsTGRRRSSS

I've loved watching Steptoe down the years and it's a shame what happened to both of them really.

I think Brambell had alcohol problems and the fall out between the 2 was more through that, as is often the case the years went by and he worsened.

From what I read Classical actor Corbett got type cast with the character and then financials meant they had to do more of this whilst the increasingly unreliable Brambell became a problem, I think the last straw was a tour to Australia and NZ when Brambell - p1ssed as a fart was thoroughly unprofessional on a radio show.

I think Corbett demanded not to be on his flight back to London.

As for TV that's decent, The Brittas Empire still holds up well - except people might think it's closer to a fly on the wall documentary today - technology notwithstanding.

Thats Chris Barrie again, genuis programme with great ensemble cast.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024