Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The impending pronunciation culture wars 13:22 - Nov 2 with 5908 viewsFDC

Just finished watching Clive on Talking Rangers, where Charlie gallantly goes with THI-fuentes, whereas Clive doggedly insists on SI-fuentes.

Reminds me of a similar dynamic in my house where I, a woke snowflake, (correctly) insist on pronouncing Chile as Chi-LAY, and valet as va-LAY, but my wife, working class salt of the earth, mocks me with CHI-lee and VA-let.

One problem with the correct pronunciation of Cifuentes is that it's going to be a mouthful when getting animatedly angry about him, especially after a few ales.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 18:42 - Nov 2 with 1268 viewshubble

Having listened to Marti pronouce his own name, I think I've nailed it phonetically: Phwiff-wentes!

Easy peasy. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 19:52 - Nov 2 with 1192 viewsdmm

Reading through this thread, is everyone else repeatedly muttering his name in different ways wondering if you're getting it right!?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 19:57]
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 20:59 - Nov 2 with 1107 viewsKensal_Ranger

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:08 - Nov 2 by Airtomoreira

Just think of it as a W3W location:

THIEF WENT ACE

My W3W suggested solution might be unpopular at this joyous time but I think it’s closer to
THIEF WHO ENTERS

I know, my bad :(
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:11 - Nov 3 with 889 viewsKonk

Weirdly, it turns out that I know one of Marti’s cousins, so straight from the horse’s cousin’s mouth, it is CEE-fwen-tez. Through his cousin, I’ve made it known that once he’s had a chance to see the squad up close, if he’s looking for a middle-aged bloke with no engine, a poor first touch, and a complete lack of acceleration, then I’m currently without a club ie. available. Got a dads v lads match over the courts tomorrow morning, so I’m gonna put together a showreel and get it in front of Marti. Not saying it’s definitely going to happen, and I’m trying not to get too carried away, but there’s a massive chance I could be playing for Rangers by Christmas. Probably in midfield. Watch this space.

It obviously goes without saying that if I do get offered a deal, I’ll do what I can to get you lot a trial too. After that, it’s up to you to make the most of the opportunity. All I can do is give you the chance to shine. Good luck.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:21 - Nov 3 with 878 viewsjohncharles

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:11 - Nov 3 by Konk

Weirdly, it turns out that I know one of Marti’s cousins, so straight from the horse’s cousin’s mouth, it is CEE-fwen-tez. Through his cousin, I’ve made it known that once he’s had a chance to see the squad up close, if he’s looking for a middle-aged bloke with no engine, a poor first touch, and a complete lack of acceleration, then I’m currently without a club ie. available. Got a dads v lads match over the courts tomorrow morning, so I’m gonna put together a showreel and get it in front of Marti. Not saying it’s definitely going to happen, and I’m trying not to get too carried away, but there’s a massive chance I could be playing for Rangers by Christmas. Probably in midfield. Watch this space.

It obviously goes without saying that if I do get offered a deal, I’ll do what I can to get you lot a trial too. After that, it’s up to you to make the most of the opportunity. All I can do is give you the chance to shine. Good luck.

The crown on one of my front teeth has finally given up the ghost so temporarily I have a gap so even if I try to say Si- Fuentes it comes out as Thee - Fuentes

Strong and stable my arse.

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:46 - Nov 3 with 820 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Have we considered that maybe Martí can't pronounce his own surname?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:51 - Nov 3 with 800 viewsQPunkR

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:46 - Nov 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Goes by the name of Partí Martí

QPR - "shit but local"

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:51 - Nov 3 with 799 viewsMick_S

[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 7:58]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 04:54 - Nov 4 with 656 viewsFDC

I was going to say, embarassing if he just has a lisp and everyone is inadvertently mocking him
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024