Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away 12:45 - Nov 6 with 1966 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61216/1981/82-swansea-ci

That game where the Swans went sky high, click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 15:42 - Nov 6 with 1901 viewsAzzuriswan

One of those classic days out. Overnight trip from Swansea. Stopped for refreshments in Colchester and were rounded up to get out of town as there were only 2 police on duty...Great game . Great result. Memories.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 17:24 - Nov 6 with 1874 viewsKeithHaynes

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 15:42 - Nov 6 by Azzuriswan

One of those classic days out. Overnight trip from Swansea. Stopped for refreshments in Colchester and were rounded up to get out of town as there were only 2 police on duty...Great game . Great result. Memories.

Glad it inspired you to comment đź‘Ť

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:04 - Nov 6 with 1839 viewsSullutaCreturned

I didn't go that time, I went the next season. It was a fantastic result in a season where the surprises kept coming.

To this day I believe that if Dai Stewart had been kept in goal we would have had a shot at the title.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:31 - Nov 6 with 1829 viewsdobjack2

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:04 - Nov 6 by SullutaCreturned

I didn't go that time, I went the next season. It was a fantastic result in a season where the surprises kept coming.

To this day I believe that if Dai Stewart had been kept in goal we would have had a shot at the title.

Can't agree with that.

Dave was a fan favourite but I thought Dai was a better keeper. When he dropped a clanged though it tended to end up in the net. Notts County home springs to mind.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:42 - Nov 6 with 1821 viewsKeithHaynes

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:31 - Nov 6 by dobjack2

Can't agree with that.

Dave was a fan favourite but I thought Dai was a better keeper. When he dropped a clanged though it tended to end up in the net. Notts County home springs to mind.

Those big hands in the goal.

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:49 - Nov 6 with 1813 viewsSullutaCreturned

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:31 - Nov 6 by dobjack2

Can't agree with that.

Dai the drop, a better keeper? He cost us loads of points. He was a great shot stopper but he was poor under a high ball whereas Stewart was good under crosses and a decent shot stopper.

I also always though Stewart was hard done by, our first choice through the season til we got promoted but then replaced without being given a chance.

Notts County home and Liverpool away, if we'd won at Anfield that day who knows what may have happened.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 20:07 - Nov 6 with 1798 viewsonehunglow

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:49 - Nov 6 by SullutaCreturned

Dai the drop, a better keeper? He cost us loads of points. He was a great shot stopper but he was poor under a high ball whereas Stewart was good under crosses and a decent shot stopper.

I also always though Stewart was hard done by, our first choice through the season til we got promoted but then replaced without being given a chance.

Notts County home and Liverpool away, if we'd won at Anfield that day who knows what may have happened.

A quality keeper would have seen us easily stay in Div 1,then who knows .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 04:17 - Nov 7 with 1730 viewsswancity

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:04 - Nov 6 by SullutaCreturned

That’s a bit of a myth.

The Swans squad was too small. And consequently didn’t have enough quality players on the fringes ready to step in. Injuries and loss of form were a huge factor. We simply couldn’t bring in the quality needed when players were out and as the season progressed by around March it caught up with us.

Dai Davies though was a better keeper than Stewart. Marginally. They were both decent but Dai had a good season. Of course he made one or two mistakes but then he took the initiative, he took control and of course all keepers make mistakes as do all players

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Login to get fewer ads

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 14:38 - Nov 7 with 1645 viewsvjay48

Went to that match,i had only just moved to live in Suffolk. Nobody spoke to me for months, wonderful match. Ipswich were the team in those days,nearly all international players.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:04 - Nov 7 with 1597 viewsdobjack2

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:49 - Nov 6 by SullutaCreturned

That's the magic of football. We can see the same things but have different views and respectfully disagree.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:10 - Nov 7 with 1595 viewsdobjack2

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 15:42 - Nov 6 by Azzuriswan

One of the best games I can ever remember seeing.

Biggest laugh was before the game a number of their fans on the terrace next to us ran up and kicked the dividing fence at the same time. Woke up a few people half asleep on the terrace.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 20:47 - Nov 7 with 1564 viewsKeithHaynes

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:10 - Nov 7 by dobjack2

One of the best games I can ever remember seeing.

Biggest laugh was before the game a number of their fans on the terrace next to us ran up and kicked the dividing fence at the same time. Woke up a few people half asleep on the terrace.

Always seen their support as a bit luke warm, they are well supported for sure, but not hot enough.

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 22:03 - Nov 7 with 1532 viewsJust_Dave

Didn't go to this one, although my mates went I didn't fancy it for some reason and went to watch the reserves with my brother instead, can't remember who they played. Didn't miss many away games that season but always regret never setting the alarm for the trek.
1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 09:45 - Nov 8 with 1462 viewsKeithHaynes

This is one of those games which has sparked some memories for sure. I did most away games that season, Man City away was carnage.

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 10:18 - Nov 8 with 1444 viewsonehunglow

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 09:45 - Nov 8 by KeithHaynes

This is one of those games which has sparked some memories for sure. I did most away games that season, Man City away was carnage.

I drove over to Moss Side,Keith.Wasn’t smart an idea really.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 19:56 - Nov 9 with 1296 viewsdobjack2

1981/82 : Swansea City nearly win the league : Ipswich Town away on 09:45 - Nov 8 by KeithHaynes

If it's the game I'm thinking of we were used to playing at the vetch and got ripped apart on the big Maine Road pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024