Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS 17:59 - Dec 22 with 1836 viewsdurham_exile

Tonight sees Salford City in Town at the JCS but we must dwell on last Saturday first.

ME took his beleaguered troops to the Racecourse ground (first time we had played there since 2005). I witnessed a 2-2 draw in front of 2,700.
Last Saturday the attendance was 9,746 including 665 of the faithful.

ME lined up:
Goodman
Egbo Mitchell Kells Greenidge
McGeehan Read
Fevrier Jay Chilvers
Taylor

Subs:
Greenidge off Iandolo on after 61 mins
Jay off Akinde on after 62 mins
Chilvers off Ihionvien on after 86 mins

Stats:
Wrexham
Possession 35%
Shots 11
On Target 5
Corners 3

Colchester
Possession 65%
Shots 18
On Target 4
Corners 7

Weather was very good and reasonably mild. Good journey down from Durham 148 miles each way. In my pre match write up I had referred to the 24 Mar 90 game where we lost 3-2 after a torrential storm interrupted play in the second half and amazingly whilst waiting for my son’s partner to purchase her Wrexham Panda I got talking to some fans who remembered the game and the conditions.

I had forgotten though what a dismal ground it has become for Away supporters. No longer sitting behind the goal instead crammed into the Wrexham lager stand with obstructed views dependent upon where you sat.

I was disappointed to see that ME had not been bold with his team selection and opted to put Taylor up front on his own (again). Of course, we started slowly and failed to pick up a long throw on 4 minutes which fell to Elliot Lee who was allowed the freedom of the penalty area to score.

However, the onslaught failed to materialise and it was Colchester playing the more cultured football. Fevrier had an outstanding game and was unlucky not to score when he cut inside and outpaced two defenders but failed to find the net.

Evans was booked early on for a robust challenge and then scythed Read down on 26 minutes and rightly received a straight red card for the offence.

Now my first thought was we never play well against ten men.

The faithful requested Parky to give us a wave which he did.

Egbo, Jay, Fevrier and Mitchell were all playing well and we had Wrexham on the back foot but lacked the killer pass in the final third. Taylor cut a forlorn figure and was starved of service again.

At half time I queued for a pie and the facilities were right next to the toilets and frankly appalling. I also missed the first five minutes of the second half obtaining the three meat and potato pies.

I was already in a foul mood after the failure to make changes to put Wrexham under pressure and Parky had regrouped his charges who were playing much better football second half.

ME did at last make changes the industrious Jay was taken off for Akinde and Iandolo came on for Greenidge on 61 and 62 mins. Jay was particularly unlucky to be substituted and the crowd vented their feelings at ME.

Then the unfortunate Mitchell intercepted a cross and put through his own net on 69 minutes (I think Goodman was at fault not calling for the ball because there was no Wrexham striker anywhere near. Mullin had a quiet game.

Even at 2-0 down I thought we could get something out of the game (and should have done). ME was undone with a lack of tactical nous whilst Parky purred on the touchline. Reynolds beamed down from the new grandstand.

The dirty McClean should have also been dismissed and Wrexham continued with the agricultural challenges as time dragged on the unlucky Brad Ihionvien was given his normal 4 minutes (is he related to Macca Bonne I wonder). Does ME not like him. Chilvers who had run his course went off at this point.

The excellent Fevrier at last got his goal following a superb cross from Iandolo on 89 minutes and breathed new life into the U’s when 7 additional minutes went up on the board.

We huffed and puffed but couldn’t convert our chances. At the end Parky generously applauded the faithful whilst ME scuttled away, the boos ringing in his ears from the faithful.

This was a match that we should have got something from (as many of the Away defeats that I have seen this season have echoed this). But once again it wasn’t to be.

I said give ME until the New Year and I think that he is now at the last chance saloon.
You could see what it meant to the Wrexham players when the final whistle went. Their passion was palpable and also their relief at the win.

So tonight sees Neil Wood’s Ammies in Town and we desperately need to put a stop to the losing run that has seen the last five games end in defeat.

Me does at least have players coming back although the best play Nico Lawrence will be out for further weeks yet.

So, try this in a 4,4,2:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Kells Iandolo

Fevrier McGeehan Read Jay

Tovide Taylor

Subs
Dallison Hall Chilvers Hornby Ihionvien Cooper Akinde

After tonight we go to MK Dons on Boxing Day and then Away at Wimbledon and Home to Gillingham. ME’s fate will be sealed one way or the other when we play Gillingham.

The simple truth is after tonight we have reached the half way point in the season and we still need another 27 points to avoid the drop.

However awful Sutton and FGR are we must start to win football matches.

Weather tonight will be a mild 9 degrees Celsius but windy.

Enjoy the game.

Oh, the prediction, Colchester to win 2-0.

Don't forget Exiles, iFollow available tonight

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all boarders.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:00 - Dec 22 with 1313 viewsdurham_exile

Starting line up tonight:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall Iandolo

Fevrier Read McGeehan Jay

Chilvers

Taylor

Hornby Greenidge Dallison Hopper Akinde Kazeem Cooper

Poor old Brad Ihionvien not even on the bench does ME not like him or is he off in the January transfer window.

No Tovide either and only one striker (as usual).

Not much Christmas cheer from old Grinchy Etherington.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:05 - Dec 22 with 1307 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:00 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Goodman

Chilvers

Taylor

Poor old Brad Ihionvien not even on the bench does ME not like him or is he off in the January transfer window.

Up the U's

Tovide is out injured, for quite some time too, though might have been exactly your point? Good to see Iandolo starting, and Jay - on the basis of zero evidence in recent weeks, I've got a good feeling about this one.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:06 - Dec 22 with 1302 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:00 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Goodman

Chilvers

Taylor

Up the U's

Bizarre team. No Kelleher either Durham.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:39 - Dec 22 with 1280 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:06 - Dec 22 by Moor_Pinot

Bizarre team. No Kelleher either Durham.

Kells is a big loss I agree Pinot, Dallison not so much I thought he was slow and ponderous at Doncaster.

I had entirely forgotten that Samson Tovide was out for 6-8 weeks. Bad news.

We can but hope.

Very mild in the South West of England I would imagine.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:43 - Dec 22 with 1279 viewsdurham_exile

Good to hear the Post Horn Gallop

Tally Ho!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:44 - Dec 22 with 1278 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:43 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Good to hear the Post Horn Gallop

Tally Ho!

Up the U's

Kells is injured (again)
Bad news

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:17 - Dec 22 with 1264 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 19:44 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Kells is injured (again)
Bad news

Ridiculous booking then for Taylor.

Neither ref nor lino gave anything initially.

Wake up ref

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:27 - Dec 22 with 1256 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:17 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Ridiculous booking then for Taylor.

Neither ref nor lino gave anything initially.

Wake up ref

Super Joey Taylor

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:27 - Dec 22 with 1255 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:27 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Super Joey Taylor

Instinctive striker's touch!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:30 - Dec 22 with 1253 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:27 - Dec 22 by wessex_exile

Instinctive striker's touch!

He is a great goal scorer.

Shades of Jamie Cureton.

Deserved as well on balance of play.

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:32 - Dec 22 with 1251 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:30 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

He is a great goal scorer.

Shades of Jamie Cureton.

Deserved as well on balance of play.

Positives

Iandolo
Fevrier
Read
McGeehan
Jay
Taylor

Come on need a second early doors second half.

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:51 - Dec 22 with 1234 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:32 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Positives

Iandolo
Fevrier
Read
McGeehan
Jay
Taylor

Come on need a second early doors second half.

114 from Salford

A second goal and a clean sheet would be good.

Friday night at the JCS

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:15 - Dec 22 with 1223 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 20:51 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

114 from Salford

A second goal and a clean sheet would be good.

Friday night at the JCS

Up the U's

Not convinced with Kazeem. Too many errors mainly positional.

Come on we need the points.

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:27 - Dec 22 with 1216 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:15 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Not convinced with Kazeem. Too many errors mainly positional.

Come on we need the points.

January transfer window definitely a striker required with Tovide out because poor old John Akinde is not mobile enough.

Providing Ihionvien is ok to play too.

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:31 - Dec 22 with 1213 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:27 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

January transfer window definitely a striker required with Tovide out because poor old John Akinde is not mobile enough.

Providing Ihionvien is ok to play too.

Brilliant from Cooper

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:32 - Dec 22 with 1210 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:31 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Brilliant from Cooper

6 additional minutes

Now 2-1

Come on can't let this slip

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:35 - Dec 22 with 1208 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:32 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

6 additional minutes

Now 2-1

Come on can't let this slip

Greenidge coming on for Fevrier

Nervous nineties I'm afraid
We are so fragile.

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:36 - Dec 22 with 1205 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:35 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Greenidge coming on for Fevrier

Nervous nineties I'm afraid
We are so fragile.

Well done Goodman.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:39 - Dec 22 with 1197 viewsgerry_us

Phew.
We won a game., we won a game, eey aye adio, we won a game.
Onwards and upwards guys
Happy Xmas to all.
Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:40 - Dec 22 with 1197 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:36 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Well done Goodman.

Come on the U's

Not for people of a nervous disposition but we won.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:41 - Dec 22 with 1189 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:40 - Dec 22 by durham_exile

Not for people of a nervous disposition but we won.

Up the U's

Att 3,560

Durham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 21:41 - Dec 22 with 1188 viewsCrashBandicoot

Finally got a much needed win FGR drew 0-0 and Sutton play Mansfield tomoz.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 22:28 - Dec 22 with 1135 viewsbwildered

A welcome three points for Christmas. Great save at the end by Goodman secured the win. Better shape of the team and substitutions all looked much better and full credit to ME for implementing the changes. A unbeaten run through the holiday period now required to get a positive run going.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 22:29]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 22:51 - Dec 22 with 1093 viewsBFG

Pro-rata exactly 46 points at the mid-point of the season now. Enough to stay up
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 22:55]
Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 00:39 - Dec 23 with 1053 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to down the Ammies tonight at the JCS on 22:51 - Dec 22 by BFG

Pro-rata exactly 46 points at the mid-point of the season now. Enough to stay up
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 22:55]

And that is the crux of the problem.

For three successive seasons we have survived because of two worse teams.

This season hopefully Sutton and FGR will be relegated.

But we should be aiming for the Play Offs not this constant embarrassing struggle for survival points.

The bar is set pretty low when we are simply hoping to get 46 points for survival.

MK Dons is winnable, Wimbledon are the form team and then Gillingham should also be beatable.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024