Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Hoy 15:35 - Jan 3 with 5140 viewsTVOS1907

Slightly before my time, but sad news about former Dale player Bobby Hoy.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bobby Hoy on 15:38 - Jan 3 with 4588 viewsEllDale

Sad news. One of my favourite players and not a bad club singer either!
Played such a significant part in the 1979 "Great Escape".
RIP
Bobby Hoy on 15:56 - Jan 3 with 4510 viewsdawlishdale

Sad news indeed. Was one of my favourite players and definitely played a huge part in the great escape season.
RIP .
Bobby Hoy on 16:00 - Jan 3 with 4505 viewsfermin

Bobby Hoy on 15:38 - Jan 3 by EllDale

Sad news. One of my favourite players and not a bad club singer either!
Played such a significant part in the 1979 "Great Escape".
RIP

Bobby Hoy on 16:21 - Jan 3 with 4459 viewsD_Alien

Sad news, and he caused many a right back problems during his time with Dale

[Post edited 3 Jan 16:23]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bobby Hoy on 16:28 - Jan 3 with 4427 viewspioneer

Bobby Hoy on 16:21 - Jan 3 by D_Alien

I think the dates in the original post are referring to his Huddersfield Town career.

A rare bright light in that death defying team of the late 70s.
Bobby Hoy on 16:29 - Jan 3 with 4419 viewsRodingdale

Bobby Hoy on 16:21 - Jan 3 by D_Alien

Another blast from the past. RIP Bobby. I think I remember him playing for Dale in a game v Leeds at Spotland. My first visit to the main stand, I think my Dad deemed the Sandy as a bit risky with Leeds's reputation. Hoy clenched his fist to the fans when he came off at half time, think we were drawing at that point.

On checking it could have been one of the (five) Bobbys we had at the time, Scaife or Scott??

Think the OP was referring to his time at Halifax?
[Post edited 3 Jan 16:43]
Bobby Hoy on 16:53 - Jan 3 with 4365 viewsD_Alien

Bobby Hoy on 16:28 - Jan 3 by pioneer

I think the dates in the original post are referring to his Huddersfield Town career.

A rare bright light in that death defying team of the late 70s.

You're right. Only realised that after posting

Bobby Hoy on 08:45 - Jan 4 with 4018 viewsTalkingSutty

A player who started my love affair with this club, alongside the likes of Bob Mountford, Tony Whelan and Paul Hallows etc. My abiding memory is sitting in the wooden main stand at Barnsley and watching him and Terry Owen destroy that Barnsley team in front of over 10,000 fans. It was a surreal game and obviously the season of the great escape. Later I saw Bobby performing his act at Littleborough Trades Hall Club and he was warmly applauded. Hoy was one of the best wingers we have seen at the club, he made attending games at Spotland worthwhile because he was a entertainer. RIP Bobby Hoy.
Login to get fewer ads

Bobby Hoy on 12:35 - Jan 4 with 3884 viewsHopwoodblue

Bobby Hoy on 08:45 - Jan 4 by TalkingSutty

A player who started my love affair with this club, alongside the likes of Bob Mountford, Tony Whelan and Paul Hallows etc. My abiding memory is sitting in the wooden main stand at Barnsley and watching him and Terry Owen destroy that Barnsley team in front of over 10,000 fans. It was a surreal game and obviously the season of the great escape. Later I saw Bobby performing his act at Littleborough Trades Hall Club and he was warmly applauded. Hoy was one of the best wingers we have seen at the club, he made attending games at Spotland worthwhile because he was a entertainer. RIP Bobby Hoy.

Brilliant player for Dale I remember from a throwing the ball bouncing behind him he flicked it with his heal over his own head and the defender, would be shown on tv over and over again these days.
Then he used to do the Country and Western night at the Kingsway Hotel.
Him and Terry Owen were worth the entrance money alone. If only we had them now we would certainly be in the play offs.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Bobby Hoy on 14:52 - Jan 4 with 3811 viewsArthurDaley

Was it Doug Collins who tried to get rid of him, he was probably one of a couple of decent players we had at the time. Its a long time ago so the old memory is not what it was. Something to do with discipline at an away game where they stayed overnight Bobby had his guitar and was playing it , somehow Collins got upset and came out with some excuse to try and get rid of him.
Bobby and his sister ended up singing on a news / sports programme on Granada . after the incident .

A large VAT Dave

Bobby Hoy on 15:39 - Jan 4 with 3755 viewsTalkingSutty

Bobby Hoy on 14:52 - Jan 4 by ArthurDaley

Was it Doug Collins who tried to get rid of him, he was probably one of a couple of decent players we had at the time. Its a long time ago so the old memory is not what it was. Something to do with discipline at an away game where they stayed overnight Bobby had his guitar and was playing it , somehow Collins got upset and came out with some excuse to try and get rid of him.
Bobby and his sister ended up singing on a news / sports programme on Granada . after the incident .

I think it might have been Brian Green or Mike Ferguson who signed him, not sure which. Maybe TVOS might know. I vaguely remember the story about him playing his guitar at an away game.
[Post edited 4 Jan 15:41]
Bobby Hoy on 15:45 - Jan 4 with 3723 viewsTVOS1907

Bobby Hoy on 15:39 - Jan 4 by TalkingSutty

I think it might have been Brian Green or Mike Ferguson who signed him, not sure which. Maybe TVOS might know. I vaguely remember the story about him playing his guitar at an away game.
[Post edited 4 Jan 15:41]

Signed in December 1977 by Mike Ferguson.

Bobby Hoy on 15:46 - Jan 4 with 3721 viewsEllDale

I’m pretty sure he was one of Mike Ferguson’s last signings.
Bobby Hoy on 16:12 - Jan 4 with 3693 viewspioneer

Bobby Hoy on 16:29 - Jan 3 by Rodingdale

Another blast from the past. RIP Bobby. I think I remember him playing for Dale in a game v Leeds at Spotland. My first visit to the main stand, I think my Dad deemed the Sandy as a bit risky with Leeds's reputation. Hoy clenched his fist to the fans when he came off at half time, think we were drawing at that point.

On checking it could have been one of the (five) Bobbys we had at the time, Scaife or Scott??

Think the OP was referring to his time at Halifax?
[Post edited 3 Jan 16:43]

It must have been Bob Scott. Scaife and Hoy didnt join Dale until later that season.
Bobby Hoy on 16:31 - Jan 4 with 3672 viewsTVOS1907

Bobby Hoy on 15:46 - Jan 4 by EllDale

I’m pretty sure he was one of Mike Ferguson’s last signings.

Hoy signed in December 1977 and Ferguson was Dale manager until November 1978.

Bobby Hoy on 18:05 - Jan 4 with 3565 viewsTalkingSutty

Bobby Hoy on 15:45 - Jan 4 by TVOS1907

Signed in December 1977 by Mike Ferguson.

Thanks.
Bobby Hoy on 18:21 - Jan 4 with 3535 viewsD_Alien

Incredible that we're talking about a player who signed for Dale 46 years ago

If someone had tried telling me, when i first started watching Dale, about a player we'd signed in 1919 i'd have laughed my arse off

Bobby Hoy on 19:40 - Jan 4 with 3458 viewspioneer

Bobby Hoy on 18:21 - Jan 4 by D_Alien

If someone had tried telling me, when i first started watching Dale, about a player we'd signed in 1919 i'd have laughed my arse off

There was an old fellow, did various odd bits of jobs on match days, including putting the club flag up at the Pearl St/ Willbutts corner and taking it down after the game in the sixties and seventies. Cant remember his name but always wore a white coat (like a lab coat) and he always went on to me about the players in the twenties (to be fair it was a great era for the club).

As you say, to me in my early teens it seemed like the land before time.
Bobby Hoy on 19:52 - Jan 4 with 3433 viewsD_Alien

Bobby Hoy on 19:40 - Jan 4 by pioneer

There was an old fellow, did various odd bits of jobs on match days, including putting the club flag up at the Pearl St/ Willbutts corner and taking it down after the game in the sixties and seventies. Cant remember his name but always wore a white coat (like a lab coat) and he always went on to me about the players in the twenties (to be fair it was a great era for the club).

As you say, to me in my early teens it seemed like the land before time.

There were still guys smoking pipes in the Sandy when i was first there

Bobby Hoy on 20:06 - Jan 4 with 3414 viewsEllDale

Great point.
We didn’t mix in these circles but there could well have been old men sat in the Main Stand complaining that Tony Buck wasn’t a patch on Albert Whitehurst.
When you think about it Bob Stokoe played for Newcastle in the early 1950’s so he could have been in the same dressing room as people who had played 20 years previously.
I remember in the 1960’s the groundsman was Joe Duff (who actually lived in a house on Pearl Street) and he used to tell plenty of stories about football at Dale in the late 1930’s.
[Post edited 4 Jan 20:09]
Bobby Hoy on 23:21 - Jan 4 with 3293 viewspioneer

Bobby Hoy on 20:06 - Jan 4 by EllDale

Great point.
We didn’t mix in these circles but there could well have been old men sat in the Main Stand complaining that Tony Buck wasn’t a patch on Albert Whitehurst.
When you think about it Bob Stokoe played for Newcastle in the early 1950’s so he could have been in the same dressing room as people who had played 20 years previously.
I remember in the 1960’s the groundsman was Joe Duff (who actually lived in a house on Pearl Street) and he used to tell plenty of stories about football at Dale in the late 1930’s.
[Post edited 4 Jan 20:09]

Joe Duff played for us in the 1930s before becoming groundsman
Bobby Hoy on 11:40 - Jan 5 with 3174 viewsEllDale

Would a minutes applause be appropriate tomorrow?
Bobby Hoy on 16:49 - Jan 5 with 3069 viewshammerdale

You think that's bad....I still rave of the days of Burgin, Milburn.Thompson Morton Jenkins..and attended the Football League Cup Final 🤑
Bobby Hoy on 16:54 - Jan 5 with 3065 viewsEllDale

Bobby Hoy on 23:21 - Jan 4 by pioneer

Joe Duff played for us in the 1930s before becoming groundsman

Joe still had his Geordie accent. Dale signed him from Newcastle but he was originally from Ashington and he used to say that when Bobby and/or Jack Charlton used to come over to see Uncle Stan that they used to pop in for a brew with him. Great character.
Bobby Hoy on 17:13 - Jan 5 with 3038 viewsSuddenLad

Bobby Hoy on 16:49 - Jan 5 by hammerdale

You think that's bad....I still rave of the days of Burgin, Milburn.Thompson Morton Jenkins..and attended the Football League Cup Final 🤑

I'm with you on that. I didn't see the final, but that was the year/season that I started watching Dale regularly. Some great memories of some great players.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024