Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. 22:59 - Jan 6 with 10323 viewsqpr_1968

i've noticed a lot of lurkers looking in over the months/years,

don;t be shy, just introduce yourself on this thread....just say hello.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 2203 viewsSilsoe_Rs

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:27 - Jan 9 by qpr_1968

well well, did'nt expect a response like that.....every response with a great story attached.

well done people.

Same as some messages above posted a few times over many a year but never really got into a regular posting habit but love reading everyone's thoughts on Rangers and other topics, Clive's write ups are legendary for sure!

Originally from South Oxhey (QPR stronghold more Rangers than Watford I reckon) but grandparents from white city so pretty much blue and white blood from birth, Dad was a hoop, Grandad a hoop, Uncles are Hoops and mates mainly Hoops fans, pretty much been going Rangers since early 80's so have seen plenty of good times but right now is very depressing, only hope is that Marti seems a decent fella.

Moved up to Silsoe about 5 years ago so surrounded by the Orange of Luton here although have spotted a few R's around, use to stand in the loft to the right of the goal towards the middle (miss those days) over the years had season tickets in Upper Loft, F block and now as only a member flit around the ground, trying desperately to get my 12 year old into Rangers but so hard these days although he does come with me on occasions.

Many memories one game Yeovil away in the cup way back (think Kevin Brock scored) ran on the pitch and slipped think many did, had to travel all the way home soaked and covered in mud. but that's when we won cup games!

Great post to see some new names, being from Watford 3pts on the weekend would be very welcome! You R'sss
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 13:35 - Jan 11 with 2139 viewskensalriser

Nice to hear from some fellow sufferers, but the regrettable deficit in cheese preferences is looking a bit like our current GD.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 13:53 - Jan 11 with 2110 viewsSBR_W6Hoop

Hi there, long time lurker and only in the last year have I replied to the odd thread.

Background I grew up in Hammersmith, parents both from local families (Dad Shepherds Bush, Mum Hammersmith). First went to LR in '84-'85, infrequently went thereafter, first heartbreak was the MCF in '86 (although we all know that never happened), I was mascot in 1990, started going more regularly from then as my mum used to get comps from the club (she worked as a TA at Canberra Primary for 20 years) before I could afford to pay my own way. Such a great time to see some of those players in that era.

I've been lucky enough to know some great R's fans in my life (Malcolm Oakley RIP, Simon & Ron from .org I went to school with) but I've always loved reading the threads and Clive's previews/reviews etc. Long may it all continue.

You R's!!

nb. fave cheese: Montgomery Cheddar
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 16:03 - Jan 11 with 2038 viewsWD99

I’ll say hi. Similar longtime lurker, very occasional poster. Discovered Clive on Twitter and found the website. Clive, when you are not writing more than 100 articles a year on match previews, reports, and transfers, you should seriously consider writing a book. Truly gifted.

My tie to the club is definitely less “authentic” or whatever than most of you. I am an American in my 40s. Like many over here, played the sport all growing up, but it was challenging in the 80s and 90s to find much European football on TV. I played a DOS text computer game called “The Soccer Game 2”starting in the early 90s, a precursor to Football Manager I guess. Thought the name “QPR” was different than the rest, so always played as them (this would continue in other video games as I got older, though don’t have time for that now).

When the TV deals exploded over here about 15 years ago and it became a lot easier to watch a lot of games, I needed to find a team to adopt. I grew up outside of Philadelphia and to that point my entire personality had been formed around rooting for teams that consistently disappointed; it would have been out of character to adopt one of the big clubs (talk about a sliding doors moment for my happiness)…so I went with the team I fictionally followed up until that point. This was also around when my kids were born, and having something to consistently watch at 7am on a weekend when I would have previously been sleeping was great.

I finally made it to Loftus Road for the Preston game last April. Terrible game obviously, but you really have something special there. Anyway, I’ll shut up. Come on you r’s.
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 16:27 - Jan 11 with 1977 viewsLancashirehoop

https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/1477394_10202581432916450_1061

Too long

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not all against you.

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 20:22 - Jan 11 with 1885 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:27 - Jan 9 by qpr_1968

well well, did'nt expect a response like that.....every response with a great story attached.

well done people.

….and thank you for the prompt mate! Most appreciated. :)
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 21:49 - Jan 11 with 1839 viewsStateside_Ranger

I have been reading this site for years and find it a great insight into all things Rangers (and the non-QPR threads which are engaging too - ‘industrial accidents and near misses’ from recently at times a difficult read).

To echo everyone else, Clive writes simply incredible content. I cannot understand why or how he hasn’t turned football writing into a full time career (it seems half the sports desk of The Times are QPR ST holders so I’m sure there are mentoring opportunities there. Anyway.) Also having lived in the States in the early 2000s I get a lot of value from the Moneyball references. If only as a club we could think more like the Oakland A’s from that era.

I’m an R’s fan because growing up a mate’s next door neighbour worked for Ericsson who of course were shirt sponsors in the mid-90s. He got some free tickets, which he used to take me along once or twice, and I was hooked. My earliest (hazy) QPR memory was sitting in the Ellerslie Road Stand watching Mike Sheron run onto a long ball and seem to have half the pitch to himself before smashing it in at the School End. Stuart Pearce may or may not have played for the opposition that day and struck a free kick at the Loft End where the crossbar rattled for about 5 minutes.

My 2 favourite players since then have been Buzsaky and Taarabt, just genius footballers. The 3-0 win against Swansea in 2012 in the Hughes era was a favourite as they were both on the same pitch and played well (Taarabt assisted Buzsaky’s superb goal for 3-0). With family now I struggle to go regularly but 2-3 times a season is possible. For some reason a 4-3 win a few years back against Bolton (the JET hat trick game) sticks in the memory as it was a real thrill-a-minute game (including the thrill of going 2-0 down inside the first 10mins or so!).

A last thank you to Clive for reposting an advert on Twitter during COVID for a charity game at Loftus Road that I then signed up for and played. It was a bit like an out-of-body experience playing on the pitch with Andy Sinton and others watching on. Highly recommended if anyone ever has the chance and wonders if it’s worth it. They remind you that the pitch, contrary to legend and the appearance with the close stands, is actually relatively large and at least as big as the Wembley stadium pitch. No wonder the poor lambs get tired.

Favourite cheese: a nice Gruyère. You Rs.
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 09:23 - Jan 16 with 1553 viewsSpongeParr

I have only just started to post on here. Do more posting on RFI at the moment.

Do you get notified if you get quoted on this? I can't see where you know that someone has quoted you. User error I am sure but it's een bugging me that I can't see it.
Login to get fewer ads

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 10:47 - Jan 16 with 1518 viewshubble

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 09:23 - Jan 16 by SpongeParr

Do you get notified if you get quoted on this? I can't see where you know that someone has quoted you. User error I am sure but it's een bugging me that I can't see it.

No you don't get notified. And funny to see you on here, Sponge!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 10:52 - Jan 16 with 1512 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 09:23 - Jan 16 by SpongeParr

Greetings mate. Good to see you on here as well.
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:12 - Jan 16 with 1415 viewsTheChef

What is RFI?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:15 - Jan 16 with 1414 viewsSpongeParr

R Fantasy Island; another QPR message board.
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:20 - Jan 16 with 1408 viewsTheChef

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:15 - Jan 16 by SpongeParr

R Fantasy Island; another QPR message board.

aka We Are The Rangers Boys?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 15:18 - Jan 16 with 1358 viewshubble

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 14:20 - Jan 16 by TheChef

aka We Are The Rangers Boys?

Definitely not!

Entirely separate from WATRB.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 16:02 - Jan 16 with 1330 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 15:18 - Jan 16 by hubble

Definitely not!

Entirely separate from WATRB.

And the name of the site is a fiendishly ironic one isn't it Hubs.
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:31 - Jan 16 with 1202 viewsMidlands_Ranger

I lurked for many a year up until posting just novemeber/December last year....had to be lurking an unsettling amount of time...going on 10-15 years....that's a long time to lurk anywhere over anything....but with current climate I just couldn't keep the opinions in anymore! Living in the Midlands and growing up there and now working all over the place but still mainly from the comforts of home there isn't a lot of people I know who can talk about what's going on at QPR. Got well into the rangers as a kid...I'm 39 now gonna be 40 this year so that's a long time.

Get to as many games as I can...used to be with Dad but now it's either on me own or with both or at least 1 of my sons, 8 and 11. I hate modern day football but I just can't shake the Queens Park Rangers out of me. Dad loved um and by 5 I had all the kit, the lot, bed sheets, all of it. He's left me with a right curse, but no seriously I love the club. Its been odd posting on here as I find myself very negative about certain things but don't ever let that take away my passion for the club and really I want us all to get along as fans, yes have your own opinions but infighting ain't good is it. I can't get on board with the current squad and since the days of Warburton pushing for promotion I've really struggled...Beale, Critchley, Ainsworth and now Marti...its been a really off couple years....still undecided is relegation really any of us want? Please no. But feel inevitable.

First game...QPR v Notts Forrest 28th October 1995

Come on you Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssss
[Post edited 16 Jan 23:35]
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:43 - Jan 16 with 1196 viewsqpr_1968

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:31 - Jan 16 by Midlands_Ranger

I lurked for many a year up until posting just novemeber/December last year....had to be lurking an unsettling amount of time...going on 10-15 years....that's a long time to lurk anywhere over anything....but with current climate I just couldn't keep the opinions in anymore! Living in the Midlands and growing up there and now working all over the place but still mainly from the comforts of home there isn't a lot of people I know who can talk about what's going on at QPR. Got well into the rangers as a kid...I'm 39 now gonna be 40 this year so that's a long time.

Get to as many games as I can...used to be with Dad but now it's either on me own or with both or at least 1 of my sons, 8 and 11. I hate modern day football but I just can't shake the Queens Park Rangers out of me. Dad loved um and by 5 I had all the kit, the lot, bed sheets, all of it. He's left me with a right curse, but no seriously I love the club. Its been odd posting on here as I find myself very negative about certain things but don't ever let that take away my passion for the club and really I want us all to get along as fans, yes have your own opinions but infighting ain't good is it. I can't get on board with the current squad and since the days of Warburton pushing for promotion I've really struggled...Beale, Critchley, Ainsworth and now Marti...its been a really off couple years....still undecided is relegation really any of us want? Please no. But feel inevitable.

First game...QPR v Notts Forrest 28th October 1995

Come on you Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssss
[Post edited 16 Jan 23:35]

nice post...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:52 - Jan 16 with 1188 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:43 - Jan 16 by qpr_1968

nice post...

Appreciate that! Here's that first game....what a day that was for me...I'd been begging the old man to take me down to Loftus Road for a few years and the day is hammered into my memory...every second of it....First love

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 01:00 - Jan 17 with 1157 viewsQPsyR

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 23:52 - Jan 16 by Midlands_Ranger

Appreciate that! Here's that first game....what a day that was for me...I'd been begging the old man to take me down to Loftus Road for a few years and the day is hammered into my memory...every second of it....First love

Erm edited as wrong thread. Sorry

Some great stories on here
[Post edited 19 Jan 22:39]

FKA AcidPixie

Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 01:25 - Jan 18 with 977 viewsbigbaddean

I used to be a regular on here, but since moving down under in 2015, been more sporadic on here lately. Was quite active during the days in League 1 in the early 2000s and through to the end of 2014.

It's getting harder to actually bother to watch the games at 2am in Sydney over the past 2 seasons with the performance of the team, to the point I only really bother with early Sat lunchtime ko (still 11.30pm here) or midweek games that are watchable at 6.45am before work!

I help organise meetups for games in Sydney with Hoops Down Under - but we haven't had many Sat lunchtime games the past 2 seasons, so we haven't generally met up as a group!

Was back in the UK and attended a couple of games in 2022 during the Beale era - we were actually top of the league when I boarded my flight back to Sydney - seems an age ago now!!!
Long time lurkers....dont be shy. on 18:27 - Jan 19 with 802 viewsBeejnewark

Greetings all
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024