Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial 13:54 - Jan 9 with 2793 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I've been looking at our upcoming fixtures and our next eight matches are extremely important if we want to stay in this division this season.

The current average position of our opponents by month is as follows:

January - 17.3
February - 17.8
March - 9.5
April - 7.8

For January and February combined (eight matches) it's 17.6. If we don't secure a decent amount of points from these games then we're going to be really up against it come March and April.

The Eight Matches

Opponent Home/Away Position
Bradford City Home 14th
Salford City Away 21st
Morecambe Away 17th
Forest Green Rovers Home 23rd
Harrogate Town Away 12th
Grimsby Town Home 20th
Accrington Stanley Home 10th
Sutton United Away 24th

We've got to play the two teams directly below us and two teams directly above us. We've only got one game against a side currently in the top 10.

I think we need at least 12 points from these eight matches but preferably more if we want to get away from another relegation battle. Ideally we can't lose to Grimsby, Salford, Forest Green and Sutton as well.

If we can somehow get the win on Saturday it will give us the confidence and momentum to go on and get the points we need. The last time we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with a stoppage time equaliser was against Orient last season. We then went unbeaten in our seven matches, gaining 13 points in the process. A similar run right now would be very welcome indeed.

Up the U's

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 16:01 - Jan 9 with 2748 viewsBLACKCAT

It's always a mistake to look at fixtures and think that one's hard but that one is winnable. Having said which they are about as winnable a set of fixtures as could be wished for so here's hoping!
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 07:12 - Jan 10 with 2649 viewsDaniel

The point is the games against teams around us and 6-pointers rather than being easier games.
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 16:58 - Jan 10 with 2579 viewswessex_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 07:12 - Jan 10 by Daniel

The point is the games against teams around us and 6-pointers rather than being easier games.

When you're 22nd in the league, there shouldn't be any easy games

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 08:45 - Jan 11 with 2515 viewsbwildered

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 16:58 - Jan 10 by wessex_exile

When you're 22nd in the league, there shouldn't be any easy games

Every game is winnable, getting out that losing culture is vital.
Winning home games consistently has to be the first objective and points away an extra positive.
Plenty of points to play for until the end of the season .
[Post edited 12 Jan 11:13]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 18:43 - Jan 11 with 2459 viewsCrashBandicoot

Out of those, Salford (A), FGR (H) & Sutton (A) are must wins. Wins against Bradford (H) and Grimsby (H) would be nice too.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:43 - Jan 11 with 2433 viewsBFG

7-8 more wins required to be safe, although even I am hopeful we might push on like Gillingham did in the second part of last season
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 17:59 - Jan 15 with 2278 viewsRSCOSWORTH

One point from three.

Not a bad start against mid-table Bradford, especially given that we didn't start playing until the second half.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 18:56 - Jan 23 with 2148 viewsburnsieespana

Couple of important matches tonight and the right results would help us.
Login to get fewer ads

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:00 - Jan 23 with 2133 viewsdurham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 18:56 - Jan 23 by burnsieespana

Couple of important matches tonight and the right results would help us.

Mansfield haven't read the script unfortunately.

Sutton lead 1-0

Durham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:10 - Jan 23 with 2128 viewsdurham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:00 - Jan 23 by durham_exile

Mansfield haven't read the script unfortunately.

Sutton lead 1-0

The Bantams have also failed to turn up, Salford lead 1-0.

Our fate is very much in our own hands.

We must expect all fellow relegation candidates to be fighting for their collective lives.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:30 - Jan 23 with 2119 viewsdurham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 20:10 - Jan 23 by durham_exile

The Bantams have also failed to turn up, Salford lead 1-0.

Our fate is very much in our own hands.

We must expect all fellow relegation candidates to be fighting for their collective lives.

Up the U's

Both games are now all square.
Still not good enough though.

Durham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 21:35 - Jan 23 with 2090 viewsburnsieespana

Still all square going into the final minutes.
Good indicator of what we are up against
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 21:48 - Jan 23 with 2086 viewsdurham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 21:35 - Jan 23 by burnsieespana

Still all square going into the final minutes.
Good indicator of what we are up against

Both matches finish 1-1 draws.

Everyone fighting hard.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 23:57 - Jan 23 with 2067 viewswessex_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 21:48 - Jan 23 by durham_exile

Both matches finish 1-1 draws.

Everyone fighting hard.

Up the U's

Commendable points for both Sutton and Salford…or…both dropped 2 points from winning positions?

Either way, games in hand is no longer a factor for the bottom two if we look after our own performance.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 09:49 - Jan 29 with 1907 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Four points from six.

Not sure the Salford game will be rearranged for February so it's our next seven matches rather than eight. Two down, five to go.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 15:14 - Jan 29 with 1857 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 09:49 - Jan 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Four points from six.

Not sure the Salford game will be rearranged for February so it's our next seven matches rather than eight. Two down, five to go.

I was wrong. Salford game rearranged for the 27th February. This means we now have six games in February and they are against:

Forest Green Rovers Home 24th
Harrogate Town Away 11th
Grimsby Town Home 20th
Sutton United Away 23rd
Salford City Away 19th

It's going to be a massive month for the U's. I'd be happy with nine points or more from those six matches, especially if we can get wins against both Forest Green and Sutton.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 17:57 - Jan 29 with 1833 viewsBLACKCAT

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 15:14 - Jan 29 by RSCOSWORTH

I was wrong. Salford game rearranged for the 27th February. This means we now have six games in February and they are against:

Forest Green Rovers Home 24th
Harrogate Town Away 11th
Grimsby Town Home 20th
Sutton United Away 23rd
Salford City Away 19th

It's going to be a massive month for the U's. I'd be happy with nine points or more from those six matches, especially if we can get wins against both Forest Green and Sutton.

This is an unusual season. Normally at least one team is cut adrift and have given up the ghost by now. That isn't the case with any of the bottom six and it is highly unlikely a team from Bradford City upwards can be dragged into the relegation battle.
The only one of the bottom eight who haven't changed their manager/head coach is Doncaster. They are also the only one of the bottom six about whom the question can be asked "what are they doing down there?" McCann was appointed in early May and given a decent budget. A play-off place at least was expected. If Sutton win tomorrow and beat Donny at the weekend surely McCann will be dismissed; just as the January window shuts..
None of the five bottom six clubs have failed to improve on the man who was in the dugout before. Fortunately for you while Cotterill, Morison, Artell and Robinson are good choices, the Cowleys are the best. I like Artell and was pleased to see him back in management after more than eighteen months out. My fear for him is that he needs time to build a team and time is something he and The Mariners haven't got.
Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 08:52 - Feb 5 with 1687 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Five points from nine.

Harrogate unbeaten in five and up to eighth looks like being our toughest game of the eight now. Although Salford also unbeaten in five and now five points ahead. Is it now two from five to go down?

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 10:29 - Feb 12 with 1513 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Five points from 12. Not looking quite so good now.

Halfway through the eight matches and less than 50% of the points on offer gained. I originally said 12 points would be a decent return and that requires at least two wins and a draw from our next four matches.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 11:36 - Feb 12 with 1481 viewsdurham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 10:29 - Feb 12 by RSCOSWORTH

Five points from 12. Not looking quite so good now.

Halfway through the eight matches and less than 50% of the points on offer gained. I originally said 12 points would be a decent return and that requires at least two wins and a draw from our next four matches.

I'm not bothered.

Not only will we survive but also we will start to climb the table.

The better team lost on Saturday.

At times it was a library in the stadium. Their supporters only got involved in the 94th minute. Prior to that we had been the better team.

I'm afraid that neither Akinde nor Jay made any difference when they came on.
Big John needs service and there wasn't too much available for him.
But this will be his last season at the JCS.

Tovide will be back soon and Ihionvien must also play regularly.

Incredibly I haven't given up hope of Taylor returning. It is not working out for him at Lincoln.
I reckon the Cowleys can exert some influence to persuade Luton.

On the meantime
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 13:15 - Feb 15 with 1403 viewsRSCOSWORTH

It's definitely seven matches now that the Grimsby game has been rearranged to April. Did we miss an opportunity to play an out of form Grimsby side? And when we do meet will either or both sides still be battling to avoid relegation?

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 15:32 - Feb 23 with 1268 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Six points from 15.

It really should be eight from 15 after a game in which we dominated and should've won by a couple of goals at least. Accrington, surprisingly, came for the draw and they got it. With just the two games to come this month the revised target is now 10 points although I'd be happy with nine if we get the three points on Saturday.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 09:59 - Feb 27 with 1162 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Seven points from 18.

In the end on Saturday it felt like a point gained rather than two points lost and it was a game that we couldn't afford to lose and they probably couldn't afford not to win. Final game of February this evening, three points required if we're going to get to the 10 I was hoping for this month.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 14:00 - Feb 28 with 1073 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Eight points from 21.

So the eight (actually seven in the end) matches are over and we managed only eight points despite being beaten just once. Five draws, and we led in three of those games, proved costly. I think there are arguments that we could've won a few of those games but also lost a few as well but we'd probably be sitting here a couple of points better off. Not beating either Forest Green or Sutton despite being ahead against both could prove to be costly. And the missing eighth game, against Grimsby, could prove to be even more crucial given that it's now our third from last game of the season.

Our Next Eight Matches Are Crucial on 14:09 - Feb 28 with 1060 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The new average position of our opponents by month is as follows:

March - 7.7
April - 11.7

It appears that March has got more challenging and April a little easier, helped by the Grimsby game now being in this month. League positions in League Two are a funny thing right now as it's so congested between 7th and 16th with only five points separating 10 teams. Every one of those teams has lost in excess of 10 games though which shows they're all beatable.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024