Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 20:45 - Jan 14 with 18033 viewsModeratorC

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61736
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61738
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61743/match-day-morning-
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61745/swansea-city-v-sou
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61746/swansea-city-match

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:16 - Jan 21 with 1114 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 08:04 - Jan 21 by PawelAbbott

Yes pretty much and I never thought much of Martin as a manager.
He is doing well at Southampton as he has a team of premiership players whi are a level above most Championship teams.
In the second half we put more pressure on them and were stopping the slow passing around the back, winning the ball off them and exposing the usual frailties of a Martin side.
What is worrying is that we didn't start like that.
We knew what they were going to do and set ourselves up to do the same thing but with a far inferior team.
Why wasn't Williams pragmatic, accept he had the weaker team and set up to destroy Martins tactics, rather than attempt to play the same way

Williams did say he changed it from a back defensive five at HT as we were getting swamped.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:34 - Jan 21 with 1086 viewsPawelAbbott

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:16 - Jan 21 by KeithHaynes

Williams did say he changed it from a back defensive five at HT as we were getting swamped.

Yes, he did and second half was better.
Unfortunately at that point we were 3-1 down.
Credit to him for changing things. The concern is that he knew what to expect and didn't start that way.
To get something out of this poor squad we need to maximise our effectiveness from the start.
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 13:08 - Jan 21 with 1026 viewsTreforys_Jack

Okay the dust has settled and I've gathered my thoughts. Bit of an odd game tbh. We started off very poorly, a bit like the Birmingham game, we need to start more on the front foot. As people have already said we knew exactly what to expect yet didn't counter it. The set up was obviously wrong, then we had Grimes and Fulton taking it in turns to drop into the backline also which meant it was in effect attack v defence and was at times a virtual training match.
On the plus side LW changed it as he did at Brum but it was too late, the Downes goal effectively killed us off. Pato and Tymon are playing well, and thank goodness for Rushworth.
Not sure if our set up and mentality changed the second half or they sat back, but we could have and should have come away with a point. I know they could have had more first half, but our chances were far more clear cut and we should definitely have had at least 2 more goals
Anyway signs of improvement and we'll have far more winnable and meaningful games coming thick and fast, so let's hope LW manages to sort out our poor start to games.
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 17:17 - Jan 21 with 907 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:34 - Jan 21 by PawelAbbott

Credit to him for changing things. The concern is that he knew what to expect and didn't start that way.
To get something out of this poor squad we need to maximise our effectiveness from the start.

If we’re going to be playing that style of football week in week out, I’m not sure it’s prudent to spend the week drilling them to play a completely different way, just to hope to neutralise Southampton for one match. We probably still would have lost.

I didn’t expect anything yesterday and I don’t expect anything at Leicester. Anything we get would be a bonus. I’m happy these games have come at the start of Williams’ reign, so the players have a few weeks getting used to his football before we play Plymouth and Hull.
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 20:37 - Jan 21 with 784 viewsPawelAbbott

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 17:17 - Jan 21 by jack247

If we’re going to be playing that style of football week in week out, I’m not sure it’s prudent to spend the week drilling them to play a completely different way, just to hope to neutralise Southampton for one match. We probably still would have lost.

I didn’t expect anything yesterday and I don’t expect anything at Leicester. Anything we get would be a bonus. I’m happy these games have come at the start of Williams’ reign, so the players have a few weeks getting used to his football before we play Plymouth and Hull.

I hope we aren't going to play that week in, week out. We were awful at it.
If we had the players to play it, I'd agree with you.
When we have the players we have got, we should aim to take it game by game to get points where we can
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 20:43 - Jan 21 with 770 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:34 - Jan 21 by PawelAbbott

The chances we had in the second half we could have won the game, especially if we had scored a second that would have seen them fall apart I’m certain.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:01 - Jan 22 with 641 viewsswancity

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 20:43 - Jan 21 by KeithHaynes

The chances we had in the second half we could have won the game, especially if we had scored a second that would have seen them fall apart I’m certain.

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

We were well and truly battered although our second half performance offered hope and encouragement albeit they sat back more to see the game out.

Southampton were excellent in that first half. Stylish, powerful, quick with good movement and interchanging of positions they dominated the ball, playing out from the back without taking unnecessary risks. I was impressed by the numbers that they sent forward. On one occasion they had seven of their players in our penalty area in open play. With no one on half way.

By the way, that decision making is crucial. A football brain. It can help make or break a players career. There were times last season for example where our players did take unnecessary risks that were costly. Andy Fisher for example did although he improved considerably.

It’s easy to say that Martin has a “ Premier League squad “ as an excuse for not giving him personal praise. Of course they have some quality but they aren’t the finished article. They’re right back especially is an outstanding prospect but those players play to instructions. That style has helped them go 20 league games without defeat and that’s an incredible achievement. In any division. Let alone the Championship, still regarded by many as the most competitive in European football. It’s always good to see our former managers do well.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:07 - Jan 22 with 595 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 11:01 - Jan 22 by swancity

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

We were well and truly battered although our second half performance offered hope and encouragement albeit they sat back more to see the game out.

Southampton were excellent in that first half. Stylish, powerful, quick with good movement and interchanging of positions they dominated the ball, playing out from the back without taking unnecessary risks. I was impressed by the numbers that they sent forward. On one occasion they had seven of their players in our penalty area in open play. With no one on half way.

By the way, that decision making is crucial. A football brain. It can help make or break a players career. There were times last season for example where our players did take unnecessary risks that were costly. Andy Fisher for example did although he improved considerably.

It’s easy to say that Martin has a “ Premier League squad “ as an excuse for not giving him personal praise. Of course they have some quality but they aren’t the finished article. They’re right back especially is an outstanding prospect but those players play to instructions. That style has helped them go 20 league games without defeat and that’s an incredible achievement. In any division. Let alone the Championship, still regarded by many as the most competitive in European football. It’s always good to see our former managers do well.

"It’s always good to see our former managers do well."
Not at our expense it isn't
Rodgers, Potter, Martinez and Cooper to name a few I will show them the respect if they deserve it but I would never want their team to do well against ours.
Same goes for players.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:32 - Jan 22 with 579 viewsswancity

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:07 - Jan 22 by RichardO

Rodgers, Potter, Martinez and Cooper to name a few I will show them the respect if they deserve it but I would never want their team to do well against ours.
Same goes for players.

Agreed. That goes without saying.

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:47 - Jan 22 with 563 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:07 - Jan 22 by RichardO

Same goes for players.

Beats me why anyone would w@nt a former employee of our club to do well or not.
They are merely passing through.no more ,no less.
The days of Terry Paine,Le Tissier, Jimmy Dickinson, Danny Blanchflower ,Billy Wright,Nat Lofthouse are well gone .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 14:59 - Jan 22 with 514 viewsswancity

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:47 - Jan 22 by onehunglow

The days of Terry Paine,Le Tissier, Jimmy Dickinson, Danny Blanchflower ,Billy Wright,Nat Lofthouse are well gone .

I know you’re a bit weird with limited football knowledge but I can’t recall Le Tissier ever managing the Swans or Terry Paine or Billy Wright.

I followed John Toshack career with interest, always hoping that he’d do well and mostly he did. Likewise, others that have excelled at our club like Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup it’s good to see them doing well. Similarly it’s good to see our ex players doing well.

Ps When did Nat Lofthouse play for the Swans? Must have been pre 1970.

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 16:34 - Jan 22 with 478 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 20:37 - Jan 21 by PawelAbbott

I hope we aren't going to play that week in, week out. We were awful at it.
If we had the players to play it, I'd agree with you.
When we have the players we have got, we should aim to take it game by game to get points where we can

I’m pretty sure we will. It will just look much better when we aren’t playing against a side trying to do a similar thing with better players, which will be pretty much every week.
Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 16:47 - Jan 22 with 465 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Southampton : Matchday Thread 23/24 on 12:47 - Jan 22 by onehunglow

Rangel giving something back to the Swansea area these days.
People need to earn a living for a better or continue away of life if they move on so be it but there are a number of players and managers who have added to the history in a positive way and I am grateful for that. The fact is even if we are on a downward path but I can still enjoy the hope raised by a goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024