Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 17191 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:04 - Jun 4 with 1298 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:43 - Jun 4 by TheOldOakTree

If you take Read out of it, the remaining players scored a total of 15 goals last season! We would be relegated by Christmas!

Anderson could also be joining and DC wants a number 9 player so it'll be interesting to see who he has lined up - then you have to factor in replacements for Mingi & Fevrier as well as where he wants to bolster other positions.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:24 - Jun 4 with 1268 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:04 - Jun 4 by CrashBandicoot

Anderson could also be joining and DC wants a number 9 player so it'll be interesting to see who he has lined up - then you have to factor in replacements for Mingi & Fevrier as well as where he wants to bolster other positions.

We still don't know yet if Noah's staying either.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:29 - Jun 4 with 1258 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:24 - Jun 4 by wessex_exile

Or any of the other three players that were offered contracts.

Rumours are that McGeehan is signing for Charlton.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:57 - Jun 4 with 1231 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:29 - Jun 4 by RSCOSWORTH

Cooper be crazy not to re-sign.
Noah will likely have options higher up.
McGeehan will defo go in my opinion.
[Post edited 4 Jun 13:18]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:59 - Jun 4 with 1230 viewsgerry_us

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:29 - Jun 4 by RSCOSWORTH

Difficult to understand the amount of U's players being wanted by other teams.
Are they not aware that the team as a whole escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:34 - Jun 4 with 1160 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:43 - Jun 4 by TheOldOakTree

If you take Read out of it, the remaining players scored a total of 15 goals last season! We would be relegated by Christmas!

To put this into context, we need to score 90+ goals if we want to gain promotion or 75+ if we are looking at the play-offs.

Going with the theory that the Cowleys are the ‘last chance saloon’, we need to keep ALL our best players and replace the not so good, but the opposite is happening. Unless we replace these departing players with better, then we are no further forward than last year. Do we really expect to get better players than the ones we are letting walk away? It smack of bringing in whatever money we can and replacing with cheaper. Hence, the never ending cycle of decline continues.

As is usual, the shitshow of the last 15 years means that nobody wants to play for Col U and we will be sniffing around for sicknotes and the desperate in August. We might see the Cowleys as Gods gift, but players and agents will see us as a badly run club that will probably have multiple manager changes again this year. What does an exodus of all our best players tell anyone that is looking for a new club?

It should be far easier and cheaper to keep the players we have already than try to replace them. It’s not as if any of them are heading for the Premiership.

We cannot afford to let players of the quality of Read, McGeehan, Mingi, Fevrier and Chilvers walk away. They are the minimum standard we need if we are serious about heading up the table. We need to be keeping them and bring in others of the same or better standard.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:05 - Jun 4 with 1136 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:34 - Jun 4 by TheOldOakTree

To put this into context, we need to score 90+ goals if we want to gain promotion or 75+ if we are looking at the play-offs.

Going with the theory that the Cowleys are the ‘last chance saloon’, we need to keep ALL our best players and replace the not so good, but the opposite is happening. Unless we replace these departing players with better, then we are no further forward than last year. Do we really expect to get better players than the ones we are letting walk away? It smack of bringing in whatever money we can and replacing with cheaper. Hence, the never ending cycle of decline continues.

As is usual, the shitshow of the last 15 years means that nobody wants to play for Col U and we will be sniffing around for sicknotes and the desperate in August. We might see the Cowleys as Gods gift, but players and agents will see us as a badly run club that will probably have multiple manager changes again this year. What does an exodus of all our best players tell anyone that is looking for a new club?

It should be far easier and cheaper to keep the players we have already than try to replace them. It’s not as if any of them are heading for the Premiership.

We cannot afford to let players of the quality of Read, McGeehan, Mingi, Fevrier and Chilvers walk away. They are the minimum standard we need if we are serious about heading up the table. We need to be keeping them and bring in others of the same or better standard.

It's a fair point, and I agree to some extent, but once a player's head is turned there's not a lot you can do. Look at the crowds Stockport have been getting the last few seasons compared to us and now they're a division higher as well. I'd imagine that Mingi and Fevrier have probably trebled their wages if not more. How can we compete with that? Col U probably isn't the most attractive proposition right now unless the player is prepared to buy into Cowley's vision. Also it's worth remembering that all of the players we've sold in recent years have come to us for nothing or a nominal fee so the players are out there. We've sold four of them in the last 12 months. Just have to go and re-find them now.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:22 - Jun 4 with 1070 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:05 - Jun 4 by RSCOSWORTH

It's a fair point, and I agree to some extent, but once a player's head is turned there's not a lot you can do. Look at the crowds Stockport have been getting the last few seasons compared to us and now they're a division higher as well. I'd imagine that Mingi and Fevrier have probably trebled their wages if not more. How can we compete with that? Col U probably isn't the most attractive proposition right now unless the player is prepared to buy into Cowley's vision. Also it's worth remembering that all of the players we've sold in recent years have come to us for nothing or a nominal fee so the players are out there. We've sold four of them in the last 12 months. Just have to go and re-find them now.

You are of course correct and you cannot keep people if they don’t want to stay.

My post was fuelled mainly by frustration. With all the positivity floating around, it feels like this is the year to spend some money, I don’t see us getting a better chance of reversing our fortunes.
Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:12 - Jun 4 with 1042 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:22 - Jun 4 by TheOldOakTree

You are of course correct and you cannot keep people if they don’t want to stay.

My post was fuelled mainly by frustration. With all the positivity floating around, it feels like this is the year to spend some money, I don’t see us getting a better chance of reversing our fortunes.

I understand and share your frustrations. Even after the last season's debacle I felt we still had the makings of a decent team and one that should be comfortably in the top half of the table. With Danny and Nicky in place and the whole club starting to feel a bit more positive again I too felt this was a summer where, with the right recruitment, we could fill the gaps in the team and squad and look forward to a far more successful season next season. And I'm not saying we can't still do that but, for me, Mingi and Fevrier were to be key members of that team next season along with Read, Chilvers and McGeehan and there's a good chance that none of them will be here now.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:31 - Jun 4 with 1034 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:24 - Jun 4 by wessex_exile

I hope he hasn't been put off by the parking fiasco 😄

We do need some arrivals to counteract the departures though.

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:19 - Jun 4 with 948 viewsoxfcolu

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:59 - Jun 4 by gerry_us

Difficult to understand the amount of U's players being wanted by other teams.
Are they not aware that the team as a whole escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth?

Ha ha. I was thinking the same. As for additions time will tell. It is still early and contracts haven't finished yet.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 06:27 - Jun 5 with 909 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:34 - Jun 4 by TheOldOakTree

100% agree. It also shows that the 6 months spent with the new management team ( the players haven’t bought into their way of thinking or the project )

If we sell 5/6 players and they all go to clubs in higher leagues, it does make you wonder wtf we was doing last year. We made a great escape on the final day. Looking at where our players are going you would think we Just missed out on promotion!
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:34 - Jun 5 with 853 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 06:27 - Jun 5 by franksic1988

100% agree. It also shows that the 6 months spent with the new management team ( the players haven’t bought into their way of thinking or the project )

If we sell 5/6 players and they all go to clubs in higher leagues, it does make you wonder wtf we was doing last year. We made a great escape on the final day. Looking at where our players are going you would think we Just missed out on promotion!

To me it kind of confirms what we already knew - we had a squad or at least players that should have been competing for promotion, we could see it, and others (eg Stockport) could see it. Hence the fire sale right now - I don’t think it’s not buying into the Cowley’s vision, just not wanting to risk it going wrong again. Plus, money talks…

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:24 - Jun 5 with 731 viewsAddy

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:34 - Jun 5 by wessex_exile

To me it kind of confirms what we already knew - we had a squad or at least players that should have been competing for promotion, we could see it, and others (eg Stockport) could see it. Hence the fire sale right now - I don’t think it’s not buying into the Cowley’s vision, just not wanting to risk it going wrong again. Plus, money talks…

Taken from a Wycombe forum. In addition, there is some wringing of hands from our other friends in Essex. Our interest in Arthur Read (Midfielder), 24, appears to be genuine and serious. Matt Bloomfield signed him from Stevenage in January 2023, just six weeks before escaping purgatory.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:50 - Jun 5 with 702 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:24 - Jun 5 by Addy

Taken from a Wycombe forum. In addition, there is some wringing of hands from our other friends in Essex. Our interest in Arthur Read (Midfielder), 24, appears to be genuine and serious. Matt Bloomfield signed him from Stevenage in January 2023, just six weeks before escaping purgatory.

Would that be agent Bloomfield that choked the EFL trophy final and steered Wyscum to their worst league finish in 5 years?

Why would anyone want to leave the Shangri-la that is north Essex to play with Choirboys?
[Post edited 5 Jun 18:52]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:42 - Jun 5 with 638 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I met up with someone today who works in the local sports media and was surprised to learn that they had no idea of the transfer fees received for Mingi and Fev....
their guess was around 100k each.....mine was between 200k and 300k each.

Any ideas?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:18 - Jun 5 with 617 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:42 - Jun 5 by SparkfilmsTV

I met up with someone today who works in the local sports media and was surprised to learn that they had no idea of the transfer fees received for Mingi and Fev....

Any ideas?

Undisclosed sum is the classics euphemism.

I would hazard a guess that somewhere in the region of £200k for Mingi and £300k for Fevrier would be a reasonable figure but I have no more idea than the next man.

If Arthur Read also goes then we have arguably lost our three best players. Read could command £400k.

Given their bankability it is all the more galling that we languished near the relegation places again last season.

Time to restore some faith with new arrivals.

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:50 - Jun 5 with 593 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I put the question out on email and received several replies.....the consensus is above my stats....intriguing.

I personally, do not like any form of non disclosure.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:02 - Jun 5 with 592 viewsAddy

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:42 - Jun 5 by SparkfilmsTV

Any ideas?

Rumoured to be £200K for Mingi plus a sell on percentage and £4-500K for Fevrier with a 20% sell on.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:38 - Jun 6 with 527 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:02 - Jun 5 by Addy

Rumoured to be £200K for Mingi plus a sell on percentage and £4-500K for Fevrier with a 20% sell on.

Selling clubs at our level 9don't like disclosure of the fee as when they are in the market to buy the asking price gets ramped up.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:00 - Jun 6 with 514 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:02 - Jun 5 by Addy

This is what I heard too.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:25 - Jun 6 with 504 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I just had a quick look at the 'First Team Profiles' on the Club's official website.

It's months out of date.

I can't imagine it's too much work to update the details listed.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:34 - Jun 6 with 502 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:00 - Jun 6 by RSCOSWORTH

This is what I heard too.

Likewise, and from an apparently reliable source on Twitter. I would have guessed about those values even without the rumour mill to be honest.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:35 - Jun 6 with 501 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:25 - Jun 6 by SparkfilmsTV

I just had a quick look at the 'First Team Profiles' on the Club's official website.

It's months out of date.

I can't imagine it's too much work to update the details listed.

Months out of date? It literally reflects the squad that finished the end of last season. Surely it makes more sense to update when next season's squad is known rather than removing those that have left or might leave? Squad numbers may also change depending on who stays, goes or comes in so probably better to just do the job once rather than multiple times.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:45 - Jun 6 with 440 viewsTheOldOakTree

With pre-season training starting in about 3 weeks, I make it that we have 14 players signed up at the moment? (if Read goes that’s 13) and Samson doesn’t really count, until he decides he prefers football to boxing, so that’s only 12 ½ players. As we know, Matt Jay is not allowed to start, so that's 11 ½.

Matt Macey
Will Greenidge
Ellis Iandolo
Fiacre Kelleher
Connor Hall
Matt Jay
Conor Wilkinson
Samson Tovide
Owura Edwards
Tom Smith
Tom Hopper
Arthur Read
Mandela Egbo
Bradley Ihionvien

Looking on the bright side, if we sign 12 fit players in the second week of August, then there’s less risk of pre-season injuries!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024