Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New car 17:43 - Sep 25 with 1161 viewsAguycalledJack

Looking for a car. Doesnt have to brandnew.

I do 65 miles a day so all my reading and input from ai is pointing me towards electric.

I hate spending on cars and have zero interest in them. So im well out of my comfort zone.

Im not averse to an ev. But due to cost im thinking low mileage ex demo etc.

Anybody got any advice?
0
New car on 17:53 - Sep 25 with 1136 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

With EV technology evolving quickly it's worth considering a lease deal, shop around there are some very good deals about.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: Your World Cup Verdict

0
New car on 17:53 - Sep 25 with 1130 viewsonehunglow

Just part exchanged my Škoda Enyaq VRS Coupe mainly because missus didn’t like firm ride
Fantastic car

I’d go EV and the BYD Chinese ones look good value

Jae coo also popular


I pay 5p per kilowatt to charge at home
My new Enyaq will do around 300 miles on a full charge
That means I can get down to Swansea and simply top up for ten mins by the garage near the stadium for return

They are silent and cheap to run although you will see tyre wear to be greater

It’s worth considering only if you install a home charger
My OHME cost £ 950 and is essential to make it viable

Main difference though is the ride and little maintenance as there’s no moving parts

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
New car on 18:03 - Sep 25 with 1119 viewsAguycalledJack

New car on 17:53 - Sep 25 by onehunglow

Just part exchanged my Škoda Enyaq VRS Coupe mainly because missus didn’t like firm ride
Fantastic car

I’d go EV and the BYD Chinese ones look good value

Jae coo also popular


I pay 5p per kilowatt to charge at home
My new Enyaq will do around 300 miles on a full charge
That means I can get down to Swansea and simply top up for ten mins by the garage near the stadium for return

They are silent and cheap to run although you will see tyre wear to be greater

It’s worth considering only if you install a home charger
My OHME cost £ 950 and is essential to make it viable

Main difference though is the ride and little maintenance as there’s no moving parts


Brother in law just got a byd. I can get a home charger installed no problem and have solar pa els. What is pushing the cost up for me is my amount of mileage.
[Post edited 25 Sep 18:14]
0
New car on 19:21 - Sep 25 with 1053 viewsonehunglow

New car on 18:03 - Sep 25 by AguycalledJack

Brother in law just got a byd. I can get a home charger installed no problem and have solar pa els. What is pushing the cost up for me is my amount of mileage.
[Post edited 25 Sep 18:14]


That’s a shoe in then

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
New car on 23:12 - Sep 25 with 989 viewsmax936

My Eldest wants to change is Fiesta ST we drive it as well mostly me its a bit to low for Mrs but she does drive it, great car holds the road brilliantly and very quick, we likely to buy one between us and its more likely going to be the Hyundai Tucson, did think of the forementor Cupra, but the Tucson is favourite, garage who has serviced and mot the Fiesta for the 8yrs he's owned it reckons that you can't go wrong with the Hyundai's of the Kia's they say that they are both bullet proof.
Likely to go for the Hybrid Tucson
[Post edited 25 Sep 23:43]
0
New car on 01:21 - Sep 26 with 927 viewsmajorraglan

After having DPF problems with my diesel car, I bit the bullet and decided to get rid of it for an EV. I looked at leasing, but as my annual mileage was on high side it was coming back quite expensive. I didn’t want to go down the route of brand new as I didn’t fancy taking a huge hit on depreciation so I opted to look for a used model. I wanted something with a range of at least 200 miles, had a bit of go in it and could comfortably carry 4 adults.

After a lot of research, looking at best buys, depreciation rates, reviews, reading forums and data asking to people etc my head was spinning with lots of information. Some cars with higher depreciation rates can be a good used buy, but there may be reasons why they drop so quickly, e.g poor range, reliability etc etc.

I test drove a couple of different cars and ended up buying a low milage MG4 with 4/5 years manufacturers warranty left. The Tesla I drove was very impressive, rapid isn’t the word ! but it was approaching the end of its warranty and that made me a little nervous.

So far, I’ve been impressed with the MG4, it’s comfortable, nippy, has a good range and is much cheaper than my diesel to run. A full charge which will allegedly give me 250miles works out at £4.50 on an Octopus EV tariff (8p per KWH) - OHL said he had a 5p per KWH rate which is a bargain. If you have solar it’s even better. Be careful with your choice of EV charger because there can be compatibility issues between the charger and EV supplier and not all EV chargers can interface with solar. I’m on Octopus and I have the Hypervolt Home Pro 3 which is solar compatible.

My advice to you would be work out your requirements, do you need a big boot, spacious cabin, how many passengers or pets will you carry, what’s the likely range requirement etc, how much do you want to pay? Have a butchers on Autotrader to see what you fancy and can get for your budget. There’s plenty of garages in Swansea and further afield, have a look at what they’ve got and do a few test drives to find something you like and compare the price with what you can get on Autotrader.
0
New car on 03:54 - Sep 26 with 890 viewsdna

New car on 01:21 - Sep 26 by majorraglan

After having DPF problems with my diesel car, I bit the bullet and decided to get rid of it for an EV. I looked at leasing, but as my annual mileage was on high side it was coming back quite expensive. I didn’t want to go down the route of brand new as I didn’t fancy taking a huge hit on depreciation so I opted to look for a used model. I wanted something with a range of at least 200 miles, had a bit of go in it and could comfortably carry 4 adults.

After a lot of research, looking at best buys, depreciation rates, reviews, reading forums and data asking to people etc my head was spinning with lots of information. Some cars with higher depreciation rates can be a good used buy, but there may be reasons why they drop so quickly, e.g poor range, reliability etc etc.

I test drove a couple of different cars and ended up buying a low milage MG4 with 4/5 years manufacturers warranty left. The Tesla I drove was very impressive, rapid isn’t the word ! but it was approaching the end of its warranty and that made me a little nervous.

So far, I’ve been impressed with the MG4, it’s comfortable, nippy, has a good range and is much cheaper than my diesel to run. A full charge which will allegedly give me 250miles works out at £4.50 on an Octopus EV tariff (8p per KWH) - OHL said he had a 5p per KWH rate which is a bargain. If you have solar it’s even better. Be careful with your choice of EV charger because there can be compatibility issues between the charger and EV supplier and not all EV chargers can interface with solar. I’m on Octopus and I have the Hypervolt Home Pro 3 which is solar compatible.

My advice to you would be work out your requirements, do you need a big boot, spacious cabin, how many passengers or pets will you carry, what’s the likely range requirement etc, how much do you want to pay? Have a butchers on Autotrader to see what you fancy and can get for your budget. There’s plenty of garages in Swansea and further afield, have a look at what they’ve got and do a few test drives to find something you like and compare the price with what you can get on Autotrader.


Independant garages struggle with aftermarket parts for MG's and dealer parts (for all cars) are pricey

Might ease in the future, but something to bear in mind
[Post edited 26 Sep 3:55]
0
New car on 08:43 - Sep 26 with 807 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Car reliability index

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/
[Post edited 26 Sep 8:45]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: Your World Cup Verdict

0
Login to get fewer ads

New car on 09:07 - Sep 26 with 785 viewsDr_Winston

My last three cars have come from Motorpoint. A Kia Picanto, A Suzuki Vitara and now a Hyundai Kona. All autos. Very few complaints with any.

The Vitara was my favourite (although the touch screen was a bit crap). Might go for a hybrid one of them next time I'm due a change, although I'm getting better than 50mpg for mostly city driving from the Kona Hybrid.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

0
New car on 13:18 - Sep 26 with 715 viewsAguycalledJack

New car on 09:07 - Sep 26 by Dr_Winston

My last three cars have come from Motorpoint. A Kia Picanto, A Suzuki Vitara and now a Hyundai Kona. All autos. Very few complaints with any.

The Vitara was my favourite (although the touch screen was a bit crap). Might go for a hybrid one of them next time I'm due a change, although I'm getting better than 50mpg for mostly city driving from the Kona Hybrid.


The kona is coming up on internet recommendatoons for me.
0
New car on 13:31 - Sep 26 with 706 viewsraynor94

New car on 13:18 - Sep 26 by AguycalledJack

The kona is coming up on internet recommendatoons for me.


Hyundai the most reliable car ive ever driven👍

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

0
New car on 14:04 - Sep 26 with 693 viewsDr_Winston

New car on 13:18 - Sep 26 by AguycalledJack

The kona is coming up on internet recommendatoons for me.


It's not big as SUV's go but it managed to get four adults plus luggage to Gatwick and back with no problems. Quick enough on the motorway and will do 60mpg easy on long trips which is quite good for a petrol car.

No USB ports in the back (although that may depend on model) which may be an issue if you do long trips with passengers but thats a minor niggle. The lane assist is also quite bossy but that's probably all new cars these days.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

0
New car on 15:26 - Sep 26 with 672 viewsSullutaCreturned

New car on 03:54 - Sep 26 by dna

Independant garages struggle with aftermarket parts for MG's and dealer parts (for all cars) are pricey

Might ease in the future, but something to bear in mind
[Post edited 26 Sep 3:55]


MG do 7 year warranties and you have to get your car serviced by them or the warranty is void. Well that's true of nathaniel anyway.

I looked at an MG4 but we'd have issues putting a charger here because we don't have a drive or garage and a narrow pavement.

In the end I bought a petrol MGHS.

I've driven several different electric vehicles and they've all been rapid, it's instant acce;eration and they had sports mode which really drains the battery but it's fun!
1
New car on 18:37 - Sep 26 with 620 viewsdna

New car on 15:26 - Sep 26 by SullutaCreturned

MG do 7 year warranties and you have to get your car serviced by them or the warranty is void. Well that's true of nathaniel anyway.

I looked at an MG4 but we'd have issues putting a charger here because we don't have a drive or garage and a narrow pavement.

In the end I bought a petrol MGHS.

I've driven several different electric vehicles and they've all been rapid, it's instant acce;eration and they had sports mode which really drains the battery but it's fun!


I believe you can have servicing at a VAT registered garage as long as they use dealer parts, keeping the warranty, labour at an independent is much cheaper - worth checking

As I mentioned previously, parts for repairs/maintenance not covered under the warranties,which aren't comprehensive, are difficult to get from 'factors' and dealer parts are expensive (probably because they know they're not available elsewhere)
[Post edited 26 Sep 18:38]
1
New car on 20:54 - Sep 26 with 564 viewsmax936

New car on 13:18 - Sep 26 by AguycalledJack

The kona is coming up on internet recommendatoons for me.


Scrap that, just read Doc's post
[Post edited 26 Sep 20:56]
0
New car on 01:43 - Sep 27 with 493 viewsRobbie

Ouch , at 65 miles per day driving necessary given the fuel prices and things will get worse .

Dipped my toe into the EV / Hybrid range as an option but the model I drive now a very reliable Toyota Aygo basic model , a similar valuation with all the new stuff is £21 k .

Got luck in finding a good motor elsewhere , a diesel maybe but with that price now touching two quid a litre electric cars will be the way forward .

Tesla will be rubbing their hands on the loving the lack of oil we are stuck in .
0
New car on 09:03 - Sep 27 with 414 viewsmajorraglan

New car on 18:37 - Sep 26 by dna

I believe you can have servicing at a VAT registered garage as long as they use dealer parts, keeping the warranty, labour at an independent is much cheaper - worth checking

As I mentioned previously, parts for repairs/maintenance not covered under the warranties,which aren't comprehensive, are difficult to get from 'factors' and dealer parts are expensive (probably because they know they're not available elsewhere)
[Post edited 26 Sep 18:38]


Good point.

If you’re looking to preserve the manufacturer warranty it’s a much safer option to use the dealer. Going down the independent garage service route can provide manufacturers with enough wiggle room to escape from their warranty commitment. The cost of routine servicing at a dealer, while expensive is a lot lower than the outlay to buy the car.

There’s quite a few horror stories around about manufacturers denying warranty claims which is why I discounted anything without the full MG dealer service history.
0
New car on 09:12 - Sep 27 with 410 viewsmajorraglan

New car on 13:18 - Sep 26 by AguycalledJack

The kona is coming up on internet recommendatoons for me.


They are very good cars, I looked at Hyundai but for what I wanted to pay I could only get an older higher price model.

It may also be worth looking at the Kia Niro as it shares a lot of the same underpinnings as the Kona, but it comes with a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty whereas the Kona has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. As both of these cars use older ev technology they don’t have the ICCU issues which can affect other models.
0
New car on 11:22 - Sep 27 with 377 viewsAguycalledJack

New car on 01:43 - Sep 27 by Robbie

Ouch , at 65 miles per day driving necessary given the fuel prices and things will get worse .

Dipped my toe into the EV / Hybrid range as an option but the model I drive now a very reliable Toyota Aygo basic model , a similar valuation with all the new stuff is £21 k .

Got luck in finding a good motor elsewhere , a diesel maybe but with that price now touching two quid a litre electric cars will be the way forward .

Tesla will be rubbing their hands on the loving the lack of oil we are stuck in .


My last car was an aygo. Basic petrol model. Great car but with 230,000 on the clock its given up the ghost 😂
0
New car on 02:09 - Sep 28 with 243 viewsRobbie

New car on 11:22 - Sep 27 by AguycalledJack

My last car was an aygo. Basic petrol model. Great car but with 230,000 on the clock its given up the ghost 😂


What I am driving now is my Aygo albiet with 50k on the clock and still reliable .

Mate of mine had a Volvo , the really old fashioned square model which had 250k miles on the dashboard and the enginge was still purring .

To get that amount of mileage out of a motor is excellent too .
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026