Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hodgson 19:55 - Apr 29 with 5489 viewsdannyuk

From the BBC

"Roy Hodgson begins talks with FA over England manager's job

West Brom have granted permission for the Football Association to speak to Roy Hodgson about the vacant England manager's position.
Hodgson, 64, has already spoken with FA chairman David Bernstein about replacing Fabio Capello.
Bernstein said: "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out.
"Further conversations will now take place with Roy."
Hodgson on 20:00 - Apr 29 with 4181 viewssandylaner1

hodgson > redknapp
Hodgson on 20:06 - Apr 29 with 4152 viewsAtThePeake

Hodgson on 20:00 - Apr 29 by sandylaner1

hodgson > redknapp

Why?..

Not being arsey, just think you should back up your opinion.

Tangled up in blue.

Hodgson on 20:14 - Apr 29 with 4137 viewsisitme

Hodgson has managed Inter Milan and is well respected around Europe. He did wonders with a limited Swiss team. I think that Harry is tactically limited and his teams have relied on him spending a lot of money, often with the same carousel of players being bought and sold.

Hodgson as manager dealing with the tactical aspect coupled with a younger coach who can be closer to the players and deliver the message, would be a good combination for me.
Hodgson on 20:28 - Apr 29 with 4097 viewsFrog

Dawson for England????
Hodgson on 20:31 - Apr 29 with 4080 views442Dale

Redknapp has come across as spectacularly tinpot over the last few months, from his comedy trial to presiding over a Spurs side who are completely lost if plan A fails.

Plus he'd play Gerrard and Lampard in midfield.

Hodgson has always been tactically astute and that matters much more at international level than the fact he failed at Liverpool, who were crap anyway.

Wonder if Keith Hill will apply for the West Brom job...

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hodgson on 20:47 - Apr 29 with 4038 viewspioneer

Hodgson on 20:31 - Apr 29 by 442Dale

Redknapp has come across as spectacularly tinpot over the last few months, from his comedy trial to presiding over a Spurs side who are completely lost if plan A fails.

Hodgson has always been tactically astute and that matters much more at international level than the fact he failed at Liverpool, who were crap anyway.

Why would he think WBA would be interested in a manager who only kept his team in the champoionship because Portsmouth were deducted points.

On the principle that you are only as good as your last game/season/club he is no longer likely to be in the frame for any higher ranked clubs. Its Barnsley or bust for him.
Hodgson on 20:49 - Apr 29 with 4031 viewsfunkkk

Media will destroy him.
Hodgson on 20:53 - Apr 29 with 4017 viewsBirchy915

Dawson for England!

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Login to get fewer ads

Hodgson on 21:15 - Apr 29 with 3956 viewsfrenzied

Hodgson on 20:31 - Apr 29 by 442Dale

if Hilly aint delivering the goods come xmas at Barnsley he and Flickers will be back on the management scrapheap...4th from bottom is awful
Hodgson on 21:35 - Apr 29 with 3925 viewsDySporting

Maybe Harry isn't a steady enough hand or 'damaged goods'
Hodgson on 21:55 - Apr 29 with 3879 viewsD_Alien

Hodgson on 20:49 - Apr 29 by funkkk

Media will destroy him.

He's had more experience (manager of 3 national sides, and Inter Milan - twice!), than you can shake a stick at. Do you really think he'll give a damn about what tinpot journalists have to say?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hodgson on 22:17 - Apr 29 with 3842 viewsfunkkk

Hodgson on 21:55 - Apr 29 by D_Alien

He's had more experience (manager of 3 national sides, and Inter Milan - twice!), than you can shake a stick at. Do you really think he'll give a damn about what tinpot journalists have to say?

He's had experience with two big clubs. He did ok at Inter but has been very public about the fact he hated the media/public pressure. He hardly excelled at Liverpool although that was clearly a poisoned chalice from the start.

His international experience will not come anywhere near preparing him for the pressure of the England job.
Hodgson on 23:00 - Apr 29 with 3774 viewsD_Alien

Hodgson on 22:17 - Apr 29 by funkkk

He's had experience with two big clubs. He did ok at Inter but has been very public about the fact he hated the media/public pressure. He hardly excelled at Liverpool although that was clearly a poisoned chalice from the start.

His international experience will not come anywhere near preparing him for the pressure of the England job.

On the other hand, the stick he got when his methods didn't work out at Liverpool was considerable, but did he buckle under the pressure? No, he left with dignity and took up the reigns at West Brom with barely a backward glance.

That to me, suggests he's got what it takes to handle the press frenzy, especially at this stage of his career. If he takes it, it'll probably be his last job in management and he's had enough success for it not to be the biggest deal in the world to him.

Hodgson on 23:14 - Apr 29 with 3748 viewsfunkkk

Hodgson on 23:00 - Apr 29 by D_Alien

On the other hand, the stick he got when his methods didn't work out at Liverpool was considerable, but did he buckle under the pressure? No, he left with dignity and took up the reigns at West Brom with barely a backward glance.

That to me, suggests he's got what it takes to handle the press frenzy, especially at this stage of his career. If he takes it, it'll probably be his last job in management and he's had enough success for it not to be the biggest deal in the world to him.

His dignity was never in doubt I actually have a lot of time for him. His real great successes in the game have all been exceeding expectations with smaller clubs. What worries me, as an Englishman, is how he reacts to the intense pressure. If you saw any of his press conferences at Liverpool you would have seen a beaten man sadly out of his depth.

I wouldn't be too upset if he was given the job as I doubt we will have a great tournament regardless of the manager. I just hope he's learnt a few things from his time at Anfield.
Hodgson on 23:38 - Apr 29 with 3720 views442Dale

Managing Inter is a far bigger and more pressurised job than Liverpool. And he even went back for a second time.

His problems at Liverpool stemmed from an unrealistic fanbase that still believes they're one of the best teams in the country.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hodgson on 23:47 - Apr 29 with 3706 viewsD_Alien

Hodgson on 23:38 - Apr 29 by 442Dale

Managing Inter is a far bigger and more pressurised job than Liverpool. And he even went back for a second time.

His problems at Liverpool stemmed from an unrealistic fanbase that still believes they're one of the best teams in the country.

And in addition, a fanbase and squad that wanted Dalglish.

Hodgson wasn't so much sadly out of his depth at Liverpool, as unwelcome.

Hodgson on 03:40 - Apr 30 with 3640 viewsbilbobaggins

can not believe big sam at west ham aint got the job england all the way
Hodgson on 04:08 - Apr 30 with 3636 viewsDale_Pea

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

Hodgson on 09:13 - Apr 30 with 3567 viewsScunnydale

As much as it pains me to say it, the Press are half the problem with the England job. Their opinions carry too much weight and the average Man In The Street will simply suck up their ideas and believe them as gospel.

Having said that, I'm really glad the FA have gone for someone who's not Sun columnist 'Arry Redknapp. The "fawning lickspittles" in the media would have been unbearable. Didn't they once welcome Arry to a press conference with a rendition of Happy Birthday?

Plus, like someone said, Redknapp's lack of tactical knowledge would have hindered the team. And, as England manager, you can't wheel-and-deal your way to success.

I'm still staggered that they're insisting on having an English manager, but if that's the case they could do a lot worse than Woy.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Hodgson on 09:40 - Apr 30 with 3549 viewselectricblue

Im happy for Roy to be offered the England job more so than Arry.
I also agree with what a few people have said on this topic about Arrys tactical nouse etc.
When roy became the scouse manager is was a poisoned chalice from day one and he never stood a chance, now look what they have a jumped up fart they call king kenny..
The only thing that might put Roy off the Hot seat is the constant and endless shit from the press..
The FA have got to get hold of these guys and tell them to lay off..
With regards to the manager being English or not i dont care as long as hes the right man at the tight time.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Hodgson on 10:07 - Apr 30 with 3529 viewsSuddenLad

If the FA are serious about Roy Hodgson being appointed (and it's not just a PR exercise) then they MUST, at last, tighten the rules regarding the Press & Media access.

For too long, the Press particularly, have had far too much power and far too much to say in relation to hiring and firing of the England boss. Some of the column inches printed about previous incumbents have been downright wicked.

It's time they were told to 'back-off' or lose their access. 'Arry might well be a darling of the media, but it shouldn't mean he's an automatic pick to be England boss.

Roy Hodgson comes across as a decent and honourable man, and I have never seen him sucking up to journalists in the way that some other managers do. Why should he? He's got where he is through his own efforts, and most definitely not with help from the print media.

The manner in which he was treated by the Press at Liverpool was a disgrace, and I think he left the Anfield job with his dignity wholly intact. How sweet those 3 points must have been last week !

Good luck to him, I say. He knows International football as well as any other British-based manager, and knows it better than most. He has more experience than your average Sun reader knows anything about, so he's a good candidate.

He'll surprise a few if he's chosen, and I wish him well.

Whoever ultimately gets the job, the relationship between the FA and the Media needs seriously reviewing for the benefit of everyone involved. It would be a shame if a worthy candidate turned down the job simply because of the intrusive and vindictive media.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hodgson on 10:08 - Apr 30 with 3524 viewsTomRAFC

when capello first left hodgson didn't really enter my mind but he actually has alot going for him

he knows the premiership very well and has international experience

i would be more than happy with him

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Hodgson on 10:21 - Apr 30 with 3515 viewsJumeirahDale

I'd love Hodgson in over that scumbag Redknapp, although I do fear like others that the media will tear him to pieces as soon as they realise he won't pander to them like 'Arry would.

I'm more concerned about the players we pick rather than the manager though. If Carroll, Crouch or Bent get into the squad ahead of Holty it will be a crime.
Hodgson on 10:30 - Apr 30 with 3505 viewsD_Alien

It's about time, now that we have almost unlimited access to instant media, that fans started to wage their own "media war" against idiotic and self-serving journalists who pen the poisonous columns.

That'd teach 'em!!!

Hodgson on 12:23 - Apr 30 with 3402 viewsRickdale

I think the FA should be congratulated on making an objective appointment rather than one based merely on popularity. I wonder how those senior England players who shamefully tweeted their support for Harry feel now? I’m glad the FA have shown they wont be dictated to. A good appointment in my opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024