Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much to be chairman? 09:55 - Jan 13 with 5574 viewsrafc1977

This isn't a Dunphy out thread. I agree with most people in here that the decisions made past and present are/have been littered with mistakes by the board/chairman.

I ask how much as, if some posts are to be believed about CD looking haunted/weight of world on shoulders ect ect, then he COULD decide to walk away? If its nit a kings ransom to buy in could trust funds with additional donations be made and a new chairman found, or would we have to wait for a stranger to buy in?

I really think the time has come for CD to ask 'some' fans for help, at this point more than any other that we need fan representation on the board and if it went to vote I would vote yes for the 'ringfenced' bowlee money to be used to buy in.

Just want all this to stop and be, well be dale again, caus this currently isn't the dale I love.
How much to be chairman? on 12:41 - Jan 13 with 4554 viewselectricblue

I would rather have the trust running the club than somebody ie venkys who could see as an asset striping exercise..
But can there be enough funding to have a trust run club..
I reckon it would need 1000 members putting in 1k each to take over so its not a viable option but as usual i could be wrong..

If it did happen rebranding of the club like it was mentioned in the other thread would be needed to move the club forward....

In fact any takers.....
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

How much to be chairman? on 13:15 - Jan 13 with 4522 viewsG_Dale

I'm sure at a fans forum it was said to be on the board you need £100,000 to join and money to continue putting in, and lots of free time to put in.

I don't agree decisions past and present were littered with mistakes. Yeah the current situation is rubbish, but I think over the years the board have done a very good job to ensure our survival and the promotion.

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

How much to be chairman? on 13:20 - Jan 13 with 4498 viewsblackedge

How much to be chairman? on 13:15 - Jan 13 by G_Dale

I'm sure at a fans forum it was said to be on the board you need £100,000 to join and money to continue putting in, and lots of free time to put in.

I don't agree decisions past and present were littered with mistakes. Yeah the current situation is rubbish, but I think over the years the board have done a very good job to ensure our survival and the promotion.

steve Eyre ?
How much to be chairman? on 13:21 - Jan 13 with 4495 viewsYorkshire_Dale

How much to be chairman? on 13:15 - Jan 13 by G_Dale

Surely the recent co-opted Associate Directors did n't throw in any loot?

Can anyone comment?

Perhaps the guys themselves?

I know they are there for the expertise and time but what exactly do they offer.
Genuine enquiry,not a snipe.
How much to be chairman? on 13:29 - Jan 13 with 4465 viewsYouTubeDale

The idea of the Supporter's Trust to run the club should be strangled at birth. It is not a workable model. All I need to say is...Stockport.
A chairman with "money" is always the way forward. He can dip into his reserves, or his fellow director's money if needs be. Rochdale Supporter's Trust doesn't have the reserves it may need to keep a club going if difficulties arise. It could possibly raise a good amount, but how many times may you have to keep coming back for more money?
The Trust is very clear on it's remit and that is to SUPPORT the football club and NOT to run it.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

How much to be chairman? on 13:30 - Jan 13 with 4461 viewsSuddenLad

I do not for one minute envy Chris Dunphy and take my hat off to him for taking on the mantle of Chairman when he did. For a while it seemed that he was the club talisman and better things followed. However, it was important to 'make hay whilst the sun was shining'

The (then) Board seemingly got 'lucky' with the appointment of Hillcroft and miserably failed to build on the opportunities presented by the rise in Dale's stock and the increased gates, publicity, respect and income that came as a result.

We were seasonal challengers for the play-offs, went to Wembley, got promoted and as we all know, the club produced and/or developed several players who have gone on to much better things.

But - less than 10% of the people who followed us to Wembley attended the last home match. There's a stark fact and a very troubling thought.

The failure to address the 'off-field' situation during the boom seasons will be felt now more than ever. Too late was the cry......

Let's hope it isn't.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

How much to be chairman? on 13:54 - Jan 13 with 4419 viewsR17ALE

How much to be chairman? on 13:30 - Jan 13 by SuddenLad

I do not for one minute envy Chris Dunphy and take my hat off to him for taking on the mantle of Chairman when he did. For a while it seemed that he was the club talisman and better things followed. However, it was important to 'make hay whilst the sun was shining'

The (then) Board seemingly got 'lucky' with the appointment of Hillcroft and miserably failed to build on the opportunities presented by the rise in Dale's stock and the increased gates, publicity, respect and income that came as a result.

We were seasonal challengers for the play-offs, went to Wembley, got promoted and as we all know, the club produced and/or developed several players who have gone on to much better things.

But - less than 10% of the people who followed us to Wembley attended the last home match. There's a stark fact and a very troubling thought.

The failure to address the 'off-field' situation during the boom seasons will be felt now more than ever. Too late was the cry......

Let's hope it isn't.

Agree.

Too late was the cry though?

There's been plenty on here issuing the 'cry' for the last 7 seasons or so, only to be scorned, labelled as trouble-makers, and treated with contempt.

And when people do get involved and help, they are snidely referred to as hi-jackers or shit stirrers!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

How much to be chairman? on 14:00 - Jan 13 with 4392 viewsG_Dale

How much to be chairman? on 13:20 - Jan 13 by blackedge

steve Eyre ?

Eyre was after the promotion and obviously was a bad decision

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

Login to get fewer ads

How much to be chairman? on 14:43 - Jan 13 with 4350 viewsSuddenLad

How much to be chairman? on 13:54 - Jan 13 by R17ALE

Agree.

There's been plenty on here issuing the 'cry' for the last 7 seasons or so, only to be scorned, labelled as trouble-makers, and treated with contempt.

And when people do get involved and help, they are snidely referred to as hi-jackers or shit stirrers!

Yes, it's not as if the offers of help and advice have been exactly 'welcomed with open arms' is it ? - and you will know more than most.

Elsewhere, I was referring to the 'cry' being made now by some posters who are either new to the club, the message board or unaware of comments made over the past few seasons.

My personal 'cry' to those 'upstairs' gave in many moons ago. Head - wall - bang- repeat.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

How much to be chairman? on 15:17 - Jan 13 with 4306 viewsBlueDutch

How much to be chairman? on 13:30 - Jan 13 by SuddenLad

Let's hope it isn't.

Everything you say rings true. The club at this moment in time is going in only one direction and if something isn't done to arrest the slump then we could be following in the footsteps of Macclesfield last season, who gained only 7 point in the second half of the season and ended up relegated.
Coleman is literally all talk and no action, as he plays virtually the same first 11 every week, unless things out of his control deem otherwise. Yesterday he finally played BBM, dropping Kennedy instead of the "usual suspect".
Mr Coleman refutes the charge of jobs for the boys (ex Accrington players), yet we have 6 in the squad that I can think of, who never actually achieved anything with Accrington. The players he has cannot play the style he wants, that much is obvious, but to be so stubborn as not to try another direction and stick to a losing formula, is painful to watch.
Unless things on the pitch change for the better, off the field matters will continue in the same vein. Our club needs a feel good factor immediately or we might be playing at Edgeley Park again.

upthedale.nl

How much to be chairman? on 15:35 - Jan 13 with 4275 viewsTVOS1907

How much to be chairman? on 15:17 - Jan 13 by BlueDutch

Everything you say rings true. The club at this moment in time is going in only one direction and if something isn't done to arrest the slump then we could be following in the footsteps of Macclesfield last season, who gained only 7 point in the second half of the season and ended up relegated.
Coleman is literally all talk and no action, as he plays virtually the same first 11 every week, unless things out of his control deem otherwise. Yesterday he finally played BBM, dropping Kennedy instead of the "usual suspect".
Mr Coleman refutes the charge of jobs for the boys (ex Accrington players), yet we have 6 in the squad that I can think of, who never actually achieved anything with Accrington. The players he has cannot play the style he wants, that much is obvious, but to be so stubborn as not to try another direction and stick to a losing formula, is painful to watch.
Unless things on the pitch change for the better, off the field matters will continue in the same vein. Our club needs a feel good factor immediately or we might be playing at Edgeley Park again.

While a lot of what you say is true, you're being unfair on the "usual suspect", who gave a good performance in midfield yesterday, as he has done for most of the last two months.

We didn't lose the game because Kennedy wasn't playing.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

How much to be chairman? on 15:36 - Jan 13 with 4270 viewsTVOS1907

How much to be chairman? on 13:54 - Jan 13 by R17ALE

Agree.

... or talked about in a derogatory manner behind their backs.

How much to be chairman? on 18:15 - Jan 13 with 4208 viewsfermin

How much to be chairman? on 13:29 - Jan 13 by YouTubeDale

The idea of the Supporter's Trust to run the club should be strangled at birth. It is not a workable model. All I need to say is...Stockport.
A chairman with "money" is always the way forward. He can dip into his reserves, or his fellow director's money if needs be. Rochdale Supporter's Trust doesn't have the reserves it may need to keep a club going if difficulties arise. It could possibly raise a good amount, but how many times may you have to keep coming back for more money?
The Trust is very clear on it's remit and that is to SUPPORT the football club and NOT to run it.

I would counter your argument and say Wimbledon and Exeter. There are many examples of clubs who have had the traditional 'chairman with money' model who have gone into meltdown or even oblivion. It is not exactly a model that always comes up smelling of roses.

However, I do not think that the Dale Trust is in a position to run our club because (and I may be wrong) we do not have the financial resources from a small fanbase largely based in a recession-hit town to run a professional league club. Even Wimbledon, from an affluent part of London, have a couple of wealthy fans who are prepared to help out by donating large funds when required without any seat on the board. They are currently debating whether or not to tweak their model to make them more competitive and help them move back to Wimbledon. Those who opppose tweaking the model point out the dangers of relying on the 'chairman with money' model. What happens if he gets bored or runs out of money or does not have as much money as he says he does? For example, what would actually happen to us if Dunphy and the other board members stopped backing us financially or reduced their commitment? Their businesses cannot be totally immune from the recession, so it is not that remote a possibility.

Who tends to pick up the pieces when clubs go into freefall due to bad management? It is often the supporters trusts or other supporter groups who do so. Off the top of my head, there are Wimbledon, Chester, Exeter, Portsmouth and there are other smaller clubs. I am sure there are some in Scotland as well. Aren't Motherwell supporter-owned or partially supporter-owned? I know Swansea City are: http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/what-we-do/case-studies/swansea-city/ There are many examples in Germany as well.

I think it is dangerous to dismiss the capabilities of supporters to run clubs. Die-hard advocates of the 'chairman with money' model often seem to forget that supporters have lives outside football. They may run businesses and/or have skills in their own working lives that can be used for the benefit of the club. The chief executive of Wimbledon, who works for free, used to be a high-powered executive at a top accountancy firm. Chester's first CEO was an executive at a bank. We have seen for ourselves on many threads on here that there are a number of Dale fans who have expertise in marketing and sales and I am sure there are others with relevant skills. As I said above I do not believe that the Dale Trust is in a position to take over the club, but I really do not see why it cannot have a stake (like Swansea) and influence what is going on if there are people amongst us who are prepared to offer themselves and put up with the inevitable sniping or innuendo if things go wrong.

How much to be chairman? on 19:45 - Jan 13 with 4133 viewssomdale

I don't understand why everyone is damned depressed, this team is not far from being decent, no-one turns us over big time, there does seem to be a battling attitude, its the silly errors that are holding us back, losing games we shouldn't have lost, this must prove very frustrating for the manager and players alike which probably boils over on the field. I think there's an over reaction personally, I believe at the start of the season most would have settled for consolidation, and I think we will end up in a very safe respectable position.
Its a new team and when we play well we look a good team. Since when did we start expecting so much of Rochdale fc. One short spell of success in our entire history as changed this club for the worse in my opinion and that includes the fans
How much to be chairman? on 19:56 - Jan 13 with 4113 viewsjohnofheywood

I would imagine Mr Dunphy would welcome anyone to the board who could bring into the club a commodity that is very rare in Rochdale - money! From what I see, Mr Dunphy is first and foremost a supporter, and will be hurting just as much as any of us at what is going on at the club. When Mr Kilpatrick and Mr Morris were running the club, they used to budget for a loss of 30k per year - where did the money come from to cover that loss? Out of their pockets. I would imagine the 'donations' are much higher now.
Be careful what you wish for about the present directors walking away from the club, I don't see too many 'sugar daddies' waiting to take over our beloved club!
How much to be chairman? on 20:05 - Jan 13 with 4096 viewsThacks_Rabbits

How much to be chairman? on 19:56 - Jan 13 by johnofheywood

I would imagine Mr Dunphy would welcome anyone to the board who could bring into the club a commodity that is very rare in Rochdale - money! From what I see, Mr Dunphy is first and foremost a supporter, and will be hurting just as much as any of us at what is going on at the club. When Mr Kilpatrick and Mr Morris were running the club, they used to budget for a loss of 30k per year - where did the money come from to cover that loss? Out of their pockets. I would imagine the 'donations' are much higher now.
Be careful what you wish for about the present directors walking away from the club, I don't see too many 'sugar daddies' waiting to take over our beloved club!

We were losing more than 30k a year under Kilpatrick and Morris and the budget was far more than this for losses. And then we had a commercial department!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

How much to be chairman? on 20:16 - Jan 13 with 4080 viewsrafc1977

Again I am not a Dunphy out. I do however think mistakes have been/are still being made. I respect CD and past and present board members for putting their hard earned to keep dale a league side. I don't know CD, but what does seem quite clear is that he is dale through and through, and I believe long before becoming director/chairman stood on the terraces. So putting all the chairman responsibilities to one side why hasn't he accepted help that has been offered many times? He's a fan at heart, and its fans you need at times like this, if he reads this board (we know he does) imo the following must happen.
Trust representation on the board
Any fans with specific skills I.e marketing (who are willing to give unpaid time/or commission only based help)

Football, its a business in this day and age I'm led to believe......I don't know many businesses that flourish without customers! Take a look at numerous threads (especially season ticket renewal) Mr Dunphy and board. Then make the correct decisions before its too late.
How much to be chairman? on 20:18 - Jan 13 with 4070 viewsTVOS1907

How much to be chairman? on 19:45 - Jan 13 by somdale

I don't understand why everyone is damned depressed, this team is not far from being decent, no-one turns us over big time, there does seem to be a battling attitude, its the silly errors that are holding us back, losing games we shouldn't have lost, this must prove very frustrating for the manager and players alike which probably boils over on the field. I think there's an over reaction personally, I believe at the start of the season most would have settled for consolidation, and I think we will end up in a very safe respectable position.
Its a new team and when we play well we look a good team. Since when did we start expecting so much of Rochdale fc. One short spell of success in our entire history as changed this club for the worse in my opinion and that includes the fans

On the whole Dale fans are very realistic.

Two wins in ten games, which includes eight defeats, isn't good enough and expressing that opinion doesn't mean fans are "expecting so much".

You're right, no-one has turned us over big time ... we've still only picked up six points out of the last 30 no matter how you try to dress it up.

How much to be chairman? on 20:37 - Jan 13 with 4045 viewsD_Dale

How much to be chairman? on 20:18 - Jan 13 by TVOS1907

On the whole Dale fans are very realistic.

Two wins in ten games, which includes eight defeats, isn't good enough and expressing that opinion doesn't mean fans are "expecting so much".

You're right, no-one has turned us over big time ... we've still only picked up six points out of the last 30 no matter how you try to dress it up.

But you'll remember some lean spells under Hillcroft - 6 points out of a possible 33 including a 7-1 defeat at Lincoln between 14 Oct and 26 Dec 2006 - for example. I doubt there were many demands for Hill's sacking on this forum. Admittedly, he'd turned things around when first appointed in a way that Coleman failed to do, but there still seems to be a general unwillingness to cut Coleman as much slack. Maybe a matter of their different personalities.
How much to be chairman? on 20:38 - Jan 13 with 4040 viewsTVOS1907

How much to be chairman? on 20:37 - Jan 13 by D_Dale

But you'll remember some lean spells under Hillcroft - 6 points out of a possible 33 including a 7-1 defeat at Lincoln between 14 Oct and 26 Dec 2006 - for example. I doubt there were many demands for Hill's sacking on this forum. Admittedly, he'd turned things around when first appointed in a way that Coleman failed to do, but there still seems to be a general unwillingness to cut Coleman as much slack. Maybe a matter of their different personalities.

Hill wasn't the manager then. He took over in December 2006.

How much to be chairman? on 21:02 - Jan 13 with 4014 viewsjohnofheywood

I just ask myself this - if I had a choice would I have our board or Blackburns? Not much chance of your average Blackburn (or premier league club) fan having a chat with the club chairman in the pub.
I trust Mr Dunphy to do what is right for the club, he will make mistakes (who doesn't), but he did not become Chairman to asset strip the Dale, or use it as his personal plaything.
I honestly believe that Mr Dunphy will remove any manager or player who is a threat to the well being of our club. As always its a matter of timing.
How much to be chairman? on 21:24 - Jan 13 with 3980 viewsD_Dale

How much to be chairman? on 20:38 - Jan 13 by TVOS1907

Hill wasn't the manager then. He took over in December 2006.

Ooops, apologies, though there were bad spells under KH, including a 6 points out of 30 run in 2010 (plus the cup defeat to FCUM) - though by then he'd won promotion and was trusted to recover the team's form. Thus raising fans' expectations to a level that made first Eyre and now Coleman appear incapable.
How much to be chairman? on 21:43 - Jan 13 with 3973 viewsR17ALE

How much to be chairman? on 20:16 - Jan 13 by rafc1977

Again I am not a Dunphy out. I do however think mistakes have been/are still being made. I respect CD and past and present board members for putting their hard earned to keep dale a league side. I don't know CD, but what does seem quite clear is that he is dale through and through, and I believe long before becoming director/chairman stood on the terraces. So putting all the chairman responsibilities to one side why hasn't he accepted help that has been offered many times? He's a fan at heart, and its fans you need at times like this, if he reads this board (we know he does) imo the following must happen.
Trust representation on the board
Any fans with specific skills I.e marketing (who are willing to give unpaid time/or commission only based help)

Football, its a business in this day and age I'm led to believe......I don't know many businesses that flourish without customers! Take a look at numerous threads (especially season ticket renewal) Mr Dunphy and board. Then make the correct decisions before its too late.

We have offered help and money to pave the way for us to help, but our offer was ignored.

I don't think our offer still stands, as if it was accepted we would still be ignored until things went wrong, and then we would be blamed!

Sadly, although there are just a handful of us, we are seen as fair game by the club when it kicks off on here!

It was interesting to note the simultaneous use of the word 'cancer' by D_Alien and windowsbug earlier today on another thread. It's not many years since when a club official was overheard to say ,"The Trust are the cancer of this club"

Nice.

But what goes round........

How much to be chairman? on 21:48 - Jan 13 with 3958 viewsThacks_Rabbits

How much to be chairman? on 21:43 - Jan 13 by R17ALE

We have offered help and money to pave the way for us to help, but our offer was ignored.

I don't think our offer still stands, as if it was accepted we would still be ignored until things went wrong, and then we would be blamed!

Sadly, although there are just a handful of us, we are seen as fair game by the club when it kicks off on here!

It was interesting to note the simultaneous use of the word 'cancer' by D_Alien and windowsbug earlier today on another thread. It's not many years since when a club official was overheard to say ,"The Trust are the cancer of this club"

Nice.

But what goes round........

Someone refered to the club as that Razz - Thats a disgrace - Take it the person in question sits around doing sod all for a wage!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

How much to be chairman? on 21:56 - Jan 13 with 3943 viewsR17ALE

How much to be chairman? on 21:48 - Jan 13 by Thacks_Rabbits

Someone refered to the club as that Razz - Thats a disgrace - Take it the person in question sits around doing sod all for a wage!

I think you mean the Trust, not the club TR.

If you knew half of the cat calls and 2 facedness of some club officials you would weep. At least I have the balls to call them tvvats! For a club employee to label the operator of this site as a shit stirrer, after all the hard work put in to fill the Dale Bar v Cheltenham is an absolute fooking disgrace.

And this thread demonstrates yet again, that the divide is not just pitch related.

And, yet again the quote will come.... "what problem?"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024