Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standard of referring... 14:32 - Mar 17 with 3055 viewsReedy

Does anybody else think the standard of referring in this country is getting worse?

It seems to be every week there is a shocking decision (either at Dale, or in the premiership) After watching the first half of Sunderland and Norwich, how the officials can send off the Norwich goalkeeper for the ball hitting his armpit is just beyond me.

This doesn't seem to be an isolated incident, like yesterday with Felliani with his hand ball which was given as a free-kick, even though it was a good 2 yards inside the box.

There are probably many more decisions from this weekend, these decisions aren't based on opinions, there just wrong.

Blog: The FA Cup

Standard of referring... on 15:09 - Mar 17 with 3023 viewsD_Alien

No, there's just more media scrutiny and endless playbacks from every available angle.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Standard of referring... on 15:13 - Mar 17 with 3000 viewsolympicdale

Standard of referring... on 15:09 - Mar 17 by D_Alien

No, there's just more media scrutiny and endless playbacks from every available angle.

you get these pricks at sky with their touch screen gadgets covering every angle possible, a ref has a split second to make the call, he's never going to be right no matter what decision made.

Life is a game of fate.

Standard of referring... on 15:56 - Mar 17 with 2951 viewsboromat

I agree the refereeing this year has been significantly worse than last year in league 1.

The increase in media coverage at the minute only really comes into play with televised games.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Standard of referring... on 16:24 - Mar 17 with 2918 viewsD_Alien

Standard of referring... on 15:56 - Mar 17 by boromat

I agree the refereeing this year has been significantly worse than last year in league 1.

The increase in media coverage at the minute only really comes into play with televised games.

Maybe so, but I believe one may influence the other.

The media scrutiny of televised games where refs are shown to have made a bad call through the use of technology will (in the minds of some people) distort the calls made at live games through a process where normal human failings are amplified to become more prominent than they used to be.

Its the same process by which the reportage of violent events in newspapers and televised news leads some people to believe the world is becoming an ever more violent place. In fact, the chances of dying or suffering serious injury through violence are lower now than at any point in recorded history.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Standard of referring... on 16:35 - Mar 17 with 2895 viewsChaffRAFC

On the subject of refereeing, the Wigan v Newcastle game has just seen an absolute horror tackle by young Callum McManaman and the Toon lad has gone off on a stretcher with what looks to be a bad injury. Not even a free kick given.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Standard of referring... on 16:37 - Mar 17 with 2892 viewsTVOS1907

Standard of referring... on 15:56 - Mar 17 by boromat

On the positive side, Dale have now gone four games without a yellow card.

I don't think it's a coincidence.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Standard of referring... on 16:58 - Mar 17 with 2859 viewsColDale

Standard of referring... on 16:24 - Mar 17 by D_Alien

Maybe so, but I believe one may influence the other.

The media scrutiny of televised games where refs are shown to have made a bad call through the use of technology will (in the minds of some people) distort the calls made at live games through a process where normal human failings are amplified to become more prominent than they used to be.

Its the same process by which the reportage of violent events in newspapers and televised news leads some people to believe the world is becoming an ever more violent place. In fact, the chances of dying or suffering serious injury through violence are lower now than at any point in recorded history.

the need to fill 24hrs worth of sports coverage almost dictates that one refereeing decision will be held up and reviewed to the nth degree, in the same way that there always has to be one crisis club each week in the Premiership.
Standard of referring... on 17:05 - Mar 17 with 2845 viewsMBoothman

On the contrary, the standard of refereeing is getting much much better. They're more professional in the way they train to be refs, and get much more help from technology and sports science to make them even better.

Yes. That IS Sako.

Login to get fewer ads

Standard of referring... on 17:35 - Mar 17 with 2806 viewsnordenblue

Standard of referring... on 17:05 - Mar 17 by MBoothman

On the contrary, the standard of refereeing is getting much much better. They're more professional in the way they train to be refs, and get much more help from technology and sports science to make them even better.

Don't mention technology on here for god sake you'll get accused of "spoiling the beauty of the game" when a team gets blatantly cheated out of a decision!!Anything that can HELP refs get the big decisions correct can only be seen as a good thing?
As in cricket and rugby were the sport has moved with the times and the general speed of sports has been helped by camera evidence and a better vantage point to review certain "tackles,tries,catches,lbw calls etc etc.
How on earth is a ref supposed to keep up with play when many of our current crop of players running at speeds of a international sprinter and are fitter and fitter every season with the use of sports science etc,its only logical to review every aspect of the game.
Standard of referring... on 18:30 - Mar 17 with 2735 viewsolympicdale

I think the standard of referring in this country is no worse than ever, but what is getting worse is the respect for the officials. It is borderline disgusting at times how refs are treated in this country, by players and managers alike, refferees who are being accused of racism with no clear evidance to back it up, refs pushed and crowded around almost every week, but its okay, cause the players wear 'respect' t shirts so thats fine.

I watch a lot of the Bundesliga on espn and its a totally different scenario. There is hardly any showing of mass crowding around the refs by the players, they dont whinge at every possible decision, they accept most of the calls, and they actually respect the referees, there is no back talking to the referee, and any that there is is severly punished. We do not respect any kind of authority in this country, so why should it be any different on the football field.

Life is a game of fate.

Standard of referring... on 22:30 - Mar 17 with 2649 viewsmacro

Seems Halsey and foy both had shocking days. Harsh sendings off and sendings off that should have been.
Standard of referring... on 23:43 - Mar 17 with 2614 viewsKenBoon

The difficultly with refereeing is you can have up to 22 players on the pitch all trying to con you. Throw in that the Laws that can be interpreted a million different ways and the constant scrutiny from media and assessors it really is an impossible job. Also there's a few referees who clearly are tossers and they don't help the majority.

I think most players show them respect (outside of diving). It's only the odd few who constantly get at them. Sadly for the majority it's high profile people like John Terry and managers like Ferguson - who should still be serving a touchline ban for his treatment of a linesman a couple of months ago.

I cannot say i've seen an improvement in leagues like the Bundesliga. If anything I find it worse there.
Standard of referring... on 00:20 - Mar 18 with 2596 viewsolympicdale

Standard of referring... on 23:43 - Mar 17 by KenBoon

The difficultly with refereeing is you can have up to 22 players on the pitch all trying to con you. Throw in that the Laws that can be interpreted a million different ways and the constant scrutiny from media and assessors it really is an impossible job. Also there's a few referees who clearly are tossers and they don't help the majority.

I think most players show them respect (outside of diving). It's only the odd few who constantly get at them. Sadly for the majority it's high profile people like John Terry and managers like Ferguson - who should still be serving a touchline ban for his treatment of a linesman a couple of months ago.

I cannot say i've seen an improvement in leagues like the Bundesliga. If anything I find it worse there.

I don't think you can really say its worse in the other leagues across Europe than it is here. I rarely see any behavior in Germany that mirrors or worsens what we see regularly across England, there is more mutual respect towards the officials there than we have, the referees are tougher, and the players know this, and respect it.

Life is a game of fate.

Standard of referring... on 12:35 - Mar 18 with 2547 viewswimborne_dale

What P****s me off when Highly paid "professional" managers slag off referees (who are probably paid a small fraction of what the manager earns) as part of the post match ritual. The ref is clearly a baffoon if he makes awrong call but managers make wrong calls all the time .

Wouldn't it be a rich irony if the ref was interviewed after the game and said "I was very dissapointed with Fergusson today. Giggs had a shocker and should have been taken off at half time. And when he switched to a 4-3-3! Disgraceful!!"

Edgar Allan's Crow

Standard of referring... on 10:56 - Mar 22 with 2412 viewsdownunder

It is far worse here. Check out the high feet near the end of the game. This ref had already done a few "howlers". Both ref and liner fail to see the high feet.
People who do not like the sight of blood should not watch this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024