Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
donnelly 19:26 - Sep 21 with 9271 viewsstuartcryer

donnelly was shocking today he was never interested and if he could control a ball he would not have got sent off , i couldnt believe people actually clapped him off when he could have cost us the game his three match ban could be a blessing

This post has been edited by an administrator

wardle blue

donnelly on 11:42 - Sep 22 with 2466 viewsAtThePeake

I think the issue with Donnelly is different to the issues we've had with other players in the past.

Grimes for example, had all the ability you would want from a League Two attacker, but had no workrate.
Grant had loads of ability and it showed on the pitch, but was a liability with his discipline.
Georgie gives absolutely everything he's got whilst on the pitch, but doesn't reap the rewards.

I see it from both sides. On one hand, you can't fault Georgie for effort. His workrate is as good as I've seen at Dale, and he's often isolated when we're protecting a lead but he works defenders so hard and his closing down and energy often creates the chances for the more talented players around him such as Hogan and Henderson.

On the other hand, as someone else has said, he's scored 1 in 8, and that was from the penalty spot (he's also missed a penalty.) Surely we can find a player at this level who can score a couple more goals as well as running the line? For me, it's not a case of Georgie being rubbish or anything like that, it's more the frustration that I think there must be better options out there.

Tangled up in blue.

donnelly on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 2454 viewswmgunit

Surprised that anyone can say with conviction that it definitely wasn't a sending off. Replays are inconclusive, but it certainly looked rash.
donnelly on 11:57 - Sep 22 with 2423 viewsColDale

If the appeals work in a same way to cricketing appeals, I'm not convinced there is enough evidence to suggest the ref made a mistake. The red card came from Hunt's feigning of pain and Aldred's reaction, but they won't be taken into account by the FA.
donnelly on 12:08 - Sep 22 with 2396 viewsTalkingSutty

donnelly on 10:57 - Sep 22 by Cornish_Dale

I wish some posters would of been more critical of our players when Eyre and Coleman were in charge. If that had happened at the beginning then maybe we would not of had to put up with such poor results. I know Donnelly is not going to set the league alight in the goalscorers column, but he is a member of a Rochdale team and not any Rochdale team, a successful Rochdale team. In keith Hill i trust and he has shown faith in Donnely from the off set and still does that must mean something. He could easily of got rid or left to burn out in the reserves. It could simply be that some people would prefer a top striker like Grimes who can't even make the bench at that tin pot club, Bury.

Donnellys a strange one. I have never been convinced with him at this level but his workrate puts others who have purported to be superior attacking players into the shade. Give him a split second and he is at his best, anymore than that and problems start.

I think we have to side with the manager when it comes to Donnelly and realise that Hilly is no fool and he wouldnt be picking him if he wasnt earning his corn. We have had far worse players than George at the club over the last couple of years.
donnelly on 12:56 - Sep 22 with 2324 viewsdalenumber2

Everyone is going on about Donnelly's effort but I think we need to mention the energy and tireless work of Scott Hogan. He is all over the pitch putting in a huge shift every match. I think he even surpasses Georgie in the effort department.
donnelly on 13:26 - Sep 22 with 2284 viewsD_Alien

donnelly on 12:56 - Sep 22 by dalenumber2

Everyone is going on about Donnelly's effort but I think we need to mention the energy and tireless work of Scott Hogan. He is all over the pitch putting in a huge shift every match. I think he even surpasses Georgie in the effort department.

Hogan's workrate is superb, and he takes more than his fair share of knocks due to the way he runs at defenders.

When he was subbed yesterday he was done in (no pun intended!)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

donnelly on 14:52 - Sep 22 with 2216 viewsboromat

I think Donnelly is crucial to our team and the way we play. Even when he isn't on form he is causing problems for the opposition just with his presence.

We will definitely miss him in the next three Gamez.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

donnelly on 14:58 - Sep 22 with 2202 viewsnordenblue

"Crucial to the way we play" is possibly the biggest over statement ever used on here,he is bags of energy and that's his sole contribution,his decision making is abysmal,his strike rate is that of a goal keeper and all he brings to the table is effort!!He's has done ok for the team and his kind of player serves a purpose but there's hundreds of talent less pro football players scattered around the league with all effort and no end product!!His ban really could be a blessing in disguise and force a change for the better
Login to get fewer ads

donnelly on 17:25 - Sep 22 with 2109 viewsR17ALE

donnelly on 14:58 - Sep 22 by nordenblue

"Crucial to the way we play" is possibly the biggest over statement ever used on here,he is bags of energy and that's his sole contribution,his decision making is abysmal,his strike rate is that of a goal keeper and all he brings to the table is effort!!He's has done ok for the team and his kind of player serves a purpose but there's hundreds of talent less pro football players scattered around the league with all effort and no end product!!His ban really could be a blessing in disguise and force a change for the better

Crikey nb, I was getting the words Sean Reid coming into my head reading your post!!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

donnelly on 17:41 - Sep 22 with 2085 viewsaleanddale

I think we actually will miss him for his 3 game ban.

obviously he is massive work in progress and isnt as naturaly gifted as the procession of strikers we have had over the years.

Thing is he is a blood and guts lower league workhorse who would not even be playing league football but he has a magic ingredient - pace.

Pace causes all kinds of problems at this level and whilst he is frustrating to watch and one goal ( pen ) from 8 games is hardly stuff of dreams his contribution is a big one elswhere when he remains on the pitch.

It was inability yesterday that got him sent off - poor first touch then over reaching to regain control.

We have options for the next 3 x games and gorgeous might struggle to get straight back in ( Huge chance for Cummins now ) i just think he is the type of player who doesnt win many plaudits but we will miss his endeavour / pace and work rate next week.
donnelly on 18:15 - Sep 22 with 2058 viewsD_Dale

Pity GD's appeal can't take place at Snaresbrook Crown Court - it's easy to get let off there (only kidding, Bobby). Btw, why was the title of stuartcryer's thread 'Dogsh*t Donnelly' moderated, but not D_Alien's 'Dogsh*t stuartcryer' ?
donnelly on 19:31 - Sep 22 with 1981 viewsMass_Debater

donnelly on 17:41 - Sep 22 by aleanddale

I think we actually will miss him for his 3 game ban.

obviously he is massive work in progress and isnt as naturaly gifted as the procession of strikers we have had over the years.

Thing is he is a blood and guts lower league workhorse who would not even be playing league football but he has a magic ingredient - pace.

Pace causes all kinds of problems at this level and whilst he is frustrating to watch and one goal ( pen ) from 8 games is hardly stuff of dreams his contribution is a big one elswhere when he remains on the pitch.

It was inability yesterday that got him sent off - poor first touch then over reaching to regain control.

We have options for the next 3 x games and gorgeous might struggle to get straight back in ( Huge chance for Cummins now ) i just think he is the type of player who doesnt win many plaudits but we will miss his endeavour / pace and work rate next week.

At what point does he stop becoming a 'work in progress' and 'crucial to the way we play'?
[Post edited 22 Sep 2013 19:36]
donnelly on 19:34 - Sep 22 with 1972 viewsD_Alien

donnelly on 18:15 - Sep 22 by D_Dale

Pity GD's appeal can't take place at Snaresbrook Crown Court - it's easy to get let off there (only kidding, Bobby). Btw, why was the title of stuartcryer's thread 'Dogsh*t Donnelly' moderated, but not D_Alien's 'Dogsh*t stuartcryer' ?

Good point D_Dale!

Some posters have a higher tolerance level of swearwords and personal abuse than others. My thread was simply intended to highlight to stuartcryer the effect of posting personal abuse about a Dale player who plays his heart out for the club.

This is different from, for instance, my posts last week about BBM which were entirely about whether he was the right player to be selected in a home game against moderate opposition.

I think stuartcryer got the message, whereas "a reasonable debate" might have only encouraged him in the future. I'm quite happy to have my thread deleted.

*Edit: Duh! I'm really not awake today! It's this thread... well, maybe stuartcryer changed the title himself
[Post edited 22 Sep 2013 19:46]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

donnelly on 19:54 - Sep 22 with 1934 viewsColDale

the thing with George is he is a player that Hill inherited, as he did Grimes and Gornell. Out the three, he was the one that offered a work ethic that could work with the way Hill wants us to play. Despite all the utterings about the new Holt, had he been out of contract at the end of last season, I suspect that George would have left. But that second year contract meant we had to work with him or have someone come in for him.

Now George isn't our best player, but he's part of a team that is doing alright. Not perfect by any means, and no one could deny that we aren't scoring enough goals, but what do we do? Do we splash cash that we haven't got on a replacement for George? We had a bit of cash spare in the budget and Hill decided our team would be strengthened most by signing Dicker rather than looking at a George replacement. I know people could look at Accy signing Odejayi and think well if they can sign him, why can't we? But I'd imagine Hill feels that whilst some aspects of our game would be improved by a player like that, the mobility with which we play would be diminished by that sort of player which overall would make us a weaker side.

Whilst we don't know whether Hill will offer George another deal at the end of the season, and at a guess I reckon he probably won't, but it speaks volumes that he's one of a very small number of players that he inherited that he has trusted in his team.
donnelly on 20:20 - Sep 22 with 1888 viewszxcvbnm

Cavanagh, Donnelly and a couple of the others responded to the work required by Hill. Donnelly is just let down by his lack of goalscoring which of course is what a forward is judged on. I wonder if he wouldn't be a better fit on the wing using his pace rather than an out and out forward.

Unfortunately for Donnelly, Hogan has come in from non-league and although he didn't have a great game yesterday he did find the net

Poll: Best loanee keeper

donnelly on 20:32 - Sep 22 with 1699 viewsrich_dale

He's an honest player and good to have around IMO - the sending off was a bit of over-zealousness in trying to win the ball after a bad touch. He might not be scoring at the moment but gives a lot to the team and that should be encouraged.
donnelly on 20:34 - Sep 22 with 1690 viewsnordenblue

donnelly on 17:25 - Sep 22 by R17ALE

Crikey nb, I was getting the words Sean Reid coming into my head reading your post!!

You're not too far away with him now you mention it just a slightly different position!!I heard you and Tvos singing Georges praises behind me most the game!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024