Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's 21:08 - Nov 27 with 1019 viewsdurham_exile

RC moved quickly to remove TH after the debacle on Tuesday and his ill judged comments directed at both team and supporters.

So with a caretaker team of Hall and McGreal, the U's move forward with confidence to high flying Burton Albion.

Boosted by the return to the team of Richard Brindley and Marvin Sordell plus Alex Gilbey and Sammy Szmodics, all of whom I expect RH and JM to pick in the squad there is an air of expectancy amongst the faithful.

In fact there is now a selection issue with an embarrassment of riches to choose from. Colchester have one of the strongest squads in years and they should now start to climb the table.

I expect the team to look something like this:

Jones

Brindley Eastman Kent Briggs

Edwards Gilbey Moncur

Harriott Sordell Massey

Subs

Parish Olufemi Ambrose Sembie-ferris Porter Szmodics Bonne

In a tight ground I expect to see the U's exploit every opportunity to take the game to their opponents.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

I'm looking forward to the match.

Good luck to the U's

Onward and upward

Durham_exile

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 22:03 - Nov 27 with 997 viewsmrhappy

Tiring..boom boom

U's will win this 0-2

A shock I know.

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 22:24 - Nov 27 with 989 viewsgerry_us

Enjoy your day Durham. Can't make it tomorrow due to my wardening duties at Donna Nook seal sanctuary where I am certain we will have a bigger gate than Burton!
Up the resurgent U's.
Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 22:49 - Nov 27 with 981 viewsLeadbelly

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 22:24 - Nov 27 by gerry_us

Enjoy your day Durham. Can't make it tomorrow due to my wardening duties at Donna Nook seal sanctuary where I am certain we will have a bigger gate than Burton!
Up the resurgent U's.

Went to a seal sanctuary in Cornwall. Couldn't believe how smelly they are close up.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 23:30 - Nov 27 with 960 viewsgerry_us

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 22:49 - Nov 27 by Leadbelly

Went to a seal sanctuary in Cornwall. Couldn't believe how smelly they are close up.

You are so right Sir. They do a lot of farting.
Normally home soon after 4.00pm and in to a bath for a warm up and a de-pong.
That's me ...on the right obviously.
Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 00:05 - Nov 28 with 952 viewsnoah4x4

Durham.... There is a need to correct your opening statement;

1. Cowling didn't "move quickly to remove Humes"; he wanted him to stay. But like Dunne did before him, Humes resigned because he felt that he was becoming a barrier to achieving the objectives that had been set. For this to happen twice in barely 12 months is distinctly worrying.

2. Cowling has quite clearly stated that he has no problem with fans expressing discontent by chanting (say) "Humes Out" or "Cowling Out", but many fans overstepped the mark by vile personal attacks on Tony.

3. Frankly, some of what I heard on the terraces on Tuesday was particularly vile and unjustified. Such harrasment is unlawful under the Equality Act 2010. Nobody (whether they are succeeding or failing) should have to put up with such venomous harrasment in their place of work. It went far beyond "Humes Out"; and arrestable offences were committed. "Personal" verbal attacks don't have to be racist to be unacceptable.

4. The Gazette correctly reported that Humes was critical of the reaction of some fans when saying that there were people who were “quite happy for his team to fail". But that is absolutely TRUE.

At 2-2 some (so called) U's fans near me were vocally encouraging Crewe to score a third and win! Imagine how that must have undermined the confidence of the team that is still scrapping for a draw. It was bad enough them chanting 'Humes Out' long before the final whistle. We have even had a thread posted in this fanzine "hoping that we lose at Burton 7-0 to get rid of Humes". How can any real fans ever wish us to lose!!!!!!

Hence Humes comments to the press may have been "ill-judged"; but they were certainly not unreasonable given that they are wholly factual. I don't see why any U's fan should be offended by them as they are about a nasty minority that I and most other sensible fans certainly don't want to be associated with.

The bottom line is that yet again (e.g. after Dunne last year) a significant number of fans have performed like some scene out of "Lord of the Flies". Frankly, on Tuesday, I felt somewhat ashamed to be a U's fan. Yes, I concur that managerial change is for the best; yes; I don't blame fans for booing and chanting "Humes Out"; but in Lord of the Flies; Jack Merridrew epitomises the worst aspects of human nature when unrepressed or un-tempered by society. We don't want his kind at WHCS. But when will they start on Hall and McGreal? Indeed, why not verbally abuse Eddie the Eagle, I gather he was hatched in Ipswich.......!
[Post edited 28 Nov 2015 0:44]
Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 08:34 - Nov 28 with 909 viewsLeadbelly

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 00:05 - Nov 28 by noah4x4

Durham.... There is a need to correct your opening statement;

1. Cowling didn't "move quickly to remove Humes"; he wanted him to stay. But like Dunne did before him, Humes resigned because he felt that he was becoming a barrier to achieving the objectives that had been set. For this to happen twice in barely 12 months is distinctly worrying.

2. Cowling has quite clearly stated that he has no problem with fans expressing discontent by chanting (say) "Humes Out" or "Cowling Out", but many fans overstepped the mark by vile personal attacks on Tony.

3. Frankly, some of what I heard on the terraces on Tuesday was particularly vile and unjustified. Such harrasment is unlawful under the Equality Act 2010. Nobody (whether they are succeeding or failing) should have to put up with such venomous harrasment in their place of work. It went far beyond "Humes Out"; and arrestable offences were committed. "Personal" verbal attacks don't have to be racist to be unacceptable.

4. The Gazette correctly reported that Humes was critical of the reaction of some fans when saying that there were people who were “quite happy for his team to fail". But that is absolutely TRUE.

At 2-2 some (so called) U's fans near me were vocally encouraging Crewe to score a third and win! Imagine how that must have undermined the confidence of the team that is still scrapping for a draw. It was bad enough them chanting 'Humes Out' long before the final whistle. We have even had a thread posted in this fanzine "hoping that we lose at Burton 7-0 to get rid of Humes". How can any real fans ever wish us to lose!!!!!!

Hence Humes comments to the press may have been "ill-judged"; but they were certainly not unreasonable given that they are wholly factual. I don't see why any U's fan should be offended by them as they are about a nasty minority that I and most other sensible fans certainly don't want to be associated with.

The bottom line is that yet again (e.g. after Dunne last year) a significant number of fans have performed like some scene out of "Lord of the Flies". Frankly, on Tuesday, I felt somewhat ashamed to be a U's fan. Yes, I concur that managerial change is for the best; yes; I don't blame fans for booing and chanting "Humes Out"; but in Lord of the Flies; Jack Merridrew epitomises the worst aspects of human nature when unrepressed or un-tempered by society. We don't want his kind at WHCS. But when will they start on Hall and McGreal? Indeed, why not verbally abuse Eddie the Eagle, I gather he was hatched in Ipswich.......!
[Post edited 28 Nov 2015 0:44]

Two managers have resigned in just over a year because they became a barrier to acheiving set objectives? How is that different to being the wrong man for the job?

If the last two managers became a barrier to achieving set objectives is that because of abuse from fans? Or does the abuse occur because of perceived inadequacies in the managers performance? The chairman has appointed the last two managers, not the fans.

Regarding the actual abuse..either Humes has brilliant hearing to pick out individual comments from the south stand or the very few hardy souls in the west stand were out of order. I sit in the south stand, albeit not the same section as you, but I heard nothing worse than "Hume's out". I'm not suggesting for one moment that very unpleasant things weren't said but I don't believe it was from anything other than a very small minority.

I'm fairly sure none of us were involved in the discussions between Cowling and Humes that resulted in in the manager's departure so we have to take at face value the reasons given but I'd wager heavily that Humes would be in charge at Burton today if he hasn't said what he did on Tuesday.

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 13:55 - Nov 28 with 857 viewswessex_exile

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 08:34 - Nov 28 by Leadbelly

Two managers have resigned in just over a year because they became a barrier to acheiving set objectives? How is that different to being the wrong man for the job?

If the last two managers became a barrier to achieving set objectives is that because of abuse from fans? Or does the abuse occur because of perceived inadequacies in the managers performance? The chairman has appointed the last two managers, not the fans.

Regarding the actual abuse..either Humes has brilliant hearing to pick out individual comments from the south stand or the very few hardy souls in the west stand were out of order. I sit in the south stand, albeit not the same section as you, but I heard nothing worse than "Hume's out". I'm not suggesting for one moment that very unpleasant things weren't said but I don't believe it was from anything other than a very small minority.

I'm fairly sure none of us were involved in the discussions between Cowling and Humes that resulted in in the manager's departure so we have to take at face value the reasons given but I'd wager heavily that Humes would be in charge at Burton today if he hasn't said what he did on Tuesday.

I've no idea about his hearing, but I'm sure he can read - and some of the vile posts, particularly on the OMB, were simply unacceptable.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 14:52 - Nov 28 with 851 viewsLeadbelly

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 13:55 - Nov 28 by wessex_exile

I've no idea about his hearing, but I'm sure he can read - and some of the vile posts, particularly on the OMB, were simply unacceptable.

I very rarely visit the OMB, mainly because my limited experience of it has not been positive so the fact that there has been unacceptable abuse there is not a big surprise. I think this board operates at a higher level.

Login to get fewer ads

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 18:21 - Nov 28 with 801 viewsBarsidepete

Burton to be deflated at the Pirelli stadium by resurgent U's on 14:52 - Nov 28 by Leadbelly

I very rarely visit the OMB, mainly because my limited experience of it has not been positive so the fact that there has been unacceptable abuse there is not a big surprise. I think this board operates at a higher level.

We are polite. We have people that can write a sentence, and at worst, edit our typos only one time.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024